Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options
  • 03-09-2020 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭

Since we're all back, maybe it's time for a thread about dealing with Covid in schools as it's now beginning to become a reality.

Coming to a school near you!

Be interesting to hear about schools responses to outbreaks, procedures put in place, what works and does not work and the Dept response.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Since we're all back, maybe it's time for a thread about dealing with Covid in schools as it's now beginning to become a reality.

Coming to a school near you!

Be interesting to hear about schools responses to outbreaks, procedures put in place, what works and does not work and the Dept response.

Nothing to see here :) Schools are safer than your homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mariamangan

We've already seen a few classes (I think in Dublin) being sent home to quarantine for 2 weeks after 1 person in that class tested positive.

I can see this happening on and off all winter and through the rest of the school year.

I wonder how they will manage with some students at home and some in school. Will there be online classes for those at home?

Where (in secondary school) you have students from various classes attending optional subjects together, will some attend online and some in person?

It's going to be very difficult to organise if that is how it has to be.

Perhaps we would be better off going directly for classes online.
    Of course some students don't have the facilities at home for this....but perhaps internet access and hardware could be provided. IT might be better than the flip flopping.

It's very tough I suppose to organise. However, if this virus is as terrible as they say and schools are the first place that colds and flus usually develop, why are we in such a hurry to send them all back to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

We have a teacher recovering, which has resulted in their kids being off, and the principal self isolating until Monday, and at least two students self isolating (that I’m aware of).
    We also had a student today who came in late because they had a parent waiting on a test, and thought they shouldn’t come in, only to be told they should go in (though that could be that the parent got the result back).

Aside from the teacher, the rest is just stuff I worked out from VSWare, because we’re being told nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

RealJohn wrote: »
    We have a teacher recovering, which has resulted in their kids being off, and the principal self isolating until Monday, and at least two students self isolating (that I’m aware of).
    We also had a student today who came in late because they had a parent waiting on a test, and thought they shouldn’t come in, only to be told they should go in (though that could be that the parent got the result back).

Aside from the teacher, the rest is just stuff I worked out from VSWare, because we’re being told nothing.

We were told that we wouldn't be told of any cases in our school due to patient confidentiality and that they didn't want people to be blamed for bringing it in or to be accused of not being careful / unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

highly1111 wrote: »
    We were told that we wouldn't be told of any cases in our school due to patient confidentiality and that they didn't want people to be blamed for bringing it in or to be accused of not being careful / unhygienic.

Totally mental should be treated like headlice. A letter to parents stating there has been a case of covid19 in the school/your childs classroom etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

khalessi wrote: »
    Totally mental should be treated like headlice. A letter to parents stating there has been a case of covid19 in the school/your childs classroom etc

Apologies - maybe I worded it wrong - we would be told there was a case but not who - like headlice! Me bad - I can see how I was interpreted!

We're the same but I told my colleagues that if I get it I will text them as it makes sense to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone actually using the App?

I was wondering why all secondary schools weren't asking kids and teachers to use the app 'wherever possible'. There was a big huuhaa about it when it came out but as soon as schools came back it's a case of 'don't mention the app'.

Although if a case did occur in a school the heat map from the app would probably suggest that the whole school would need to close.

From what I can gather the intention is to isolate and manage within the immediate vicinity of the person who contracted it, but to keep the rest of the school open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Treppen wrote: »
    Anyone actually using the App?

I was wondering why all secondary schools weren't asking kids and teachers to use the app 'wherever possible'. There was a big huuhaa about it when it came out but as soon as schools came back it's a case of 'don't mention the app'.

Although if a case did occur in a school the heat map from the app would probably suggest that the whole school would need to close.

From what I can gather the intention is to isolate and manage within the immediate vicinity of the person who contracted it, but to keep the rest of the school open.

Yeah, and nearly all the students downloaded it. Could be a handy tool to use.

Yeah, and nearly all the students downloaded it. Could be a handy tool to use.

I would strongly encourage every teacher to stress to students how important it is to have the app on every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I think its all about ventilation. New research seems increasingly to point to covid being airborne. Going to be challenging when the weather cools

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

juneg wrote: »
    I think its all about ventilation. New research seems increasingly to point to covid being airborne. Going to be challenging when the weather cools

There was some early research on some case studies would back this up. I will see can i find the article.
    Edit** Here we go https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-06-17/an-analysis-of-three-covid-19-outbreaks-how-they-happened-and-how-they-can-be-avoided.html
    It's quite long, but very interesting,.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes here.Yesterday, primary, not my child's class.
    Positive test, class sent home.
    Principal issued a HSE letter to all parents yesterday evening (although we did already know).Tests carried out on the rest of the class yesterday afternoon.
    Business as normal if your child wasn't identified as a close contact by the HSE.
    Happy that the school are doing all they can and the classes aren't mixing at all at any stage during the day.We cannot ask more than that from them.

(Note: I am not a staff member, I am a parent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My sons primary school seems to be running well. They are pushing the kids and parents to set up emails, google classroom and already using it as a tool to communicate. My guess is laying the ground work for remote learning. Im happy to see that.

Classes not mixing with any other class. Son gets the bus so he isn't really hanging around in the morning or after school.

Secondary only been back one day. They seemed to have zoned the school building so all my sons classes are in the one zone. Im assuming a zone might be a corridor. They only leave their zone for science/home ec/PE. Definitely reduces their movement.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Was asked by my principal to close my door today. Eh...nope!

I was freezing today, windows open and doors, extremely breezy, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We were told to bring hats, gloves and a good jacket for when the weather changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Teaching in the mask I was roasting despite them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Outbreaks will happen so hopefully they have plans in place to avoid any widescale closures.

My county, Sligo, has had very few cases in the last two weeks so hopefully we can avoid bringing it into the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I'm primary and already the children are giving out about the draft from having all the windows and the door open. In my head I'm like ye better get used to wearing coats for the winter.

• Advertisement

Teaching in the mask I was roasting despite them lol

That moment when you retreat far enough away from the kids that you remove the mask and stick your head out the window for some fresh air. Ahh pure bliss, tis the simple things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I think with this one-way system we're going to have the fittest teachers and students since the invention of the car. Throw in mindfulness theories about enjoying the journey and we've sorted out mental health issues too....

Although, hands up who's cheating in that free class when everybody else is in class and nobody's looking...

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I think with this one-way system we're going to have the fittest teachers and students since the invention of the car. Throw in mindfulness theories about enjoying the journey and we've sorted out mental health issues too....

Although, hands up who's cheating in that free class when everybody else is in class and nobody's looking...

I'm beside one of two entrances that my class use but we still have to walk the long way round to get to it!,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm primary and already the children are giving out about the draft from having all the windows and the door open. In my head I'm like ye better get used to wearing coats for the winter.

Must be a horrible environment for everyone, I'm temperature sensitive myself, find it hard to function when too hot or cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Treppen wrote: »
    I would strongly encourage every teacher to stress to students how important it is to have the app on every day.

A friend got an alert that she was in contact with C19.
    Turned out to be a neighbour and their phones were within 2m for 15 minutes through the dividing wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A friend got an alert that she was in contact with C19.
    Turned out to be a neighbour and their phones were within 2m for 15 minutes through the dividing wall.

Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Staff members exempt in our place

If I get spotted i just start walking backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sadly, mental health issues probably wont be solved that easily, but there will be a lot of learning from this experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Staff members exempt in our place

Think staff should be adhering to it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement