Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game workshopping and brainstorming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If I want to throw my name into the ring to host a tournament game in December, where do I do that. I just want to make sure I don't jump the queue or step on any toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ooooh new games.

That sounds like a through a few darts at the dart board & see what number you get kind of game Nitty.

Upcoming new games can be advertised here Loughc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057987935

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cheers guys, think we have a goer then!

Based on what Deja said I think I'll flip the scores around so high scores are better. The detail may be messy but it'll be easy to understand once it's running, I think!

Right, I've a month to come up with the questions, easy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Question 1 -> How many versions of the formulas did I have to try to get this to work?

I'm sure no-one really cares but... I think I'll score it as 10 - 10*abs(score-av.score)/SD
    That way a perfect answer scores 10, better answers get higher scores and really bad answers get negative scores (sod the christmas spirit, mwah-ha-ha!)

Redone examples (with proper averages this time aaron!)

Example one - average answer 1 million
    Player | Guess | Score
    A | 1,060,000 | 8.3
    B | 1,000,000 | 10.0
    C | 310,000 | -10.1
    D | 1,160,000 | 5.3
    E | 1,490,000 | -4.3
    F | 1,160,000 | 5.3
    G | 960,000 | 8.8
    H | 1,350,000 | -0.2
    I | 820,000 | 4.8
    J | 980,000 | 9.4
    K | 1,060,000 | 8.3
    L | 840,000 | 5.3
    M | 600,000 | -1.7
    N | 420,000 | -6.9
    O | 1,090,000 | 7.4
    P | 970,000 | 9.1
    Q | 1,130,000 | 6.2
    R | 770,000 | 3.3
    S | 1,840,000 | -14.5
    T | 990,000 | 9.7

Example two - average answer 10
    Player | Guess | Score
    A | 15 | 0.2
    B | 2 | -5.7
    C | 12 | 6.1
    D | 6 | 2.2
    E | 6 | 2.2
    F | 10 | 10.0
    G | 8 | 6.1
    H | 11 | 8.0
    I | 21 | -11.5
    J | 8 | 6.1
    K | 12 | 6.1
    L | 12 | 6.1
    M | 9 | 8.0
    N | 17 | -3.7
    O | 16 | -1.7
    P | 4 | -1.7
    Q | 12 | 6.1
    R | 3 | -3.7
    S | 13 | 4.1
    T | 3 | -3.7

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Question 1 -> How many versions of the formulas did I have to try to get this to work?
    Only a few :p

Edit: although I think that's giving too many negative scores so I'll probably be tweaking again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

...That way a perfect answer scores 10, better answers get higher scores and really bad answers get negative scores (sod the christmas spirit, mwah-ha-ha!)

Grinch baaannnnned!* :p

*but not really ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

The rejuvination of Catchphrase has made me wanna come up with MOAR GAMES

WE NEED MOAR GAMES.

How about.... 'The Missing Link' ?

Same flow as catchphrase, as in play passes to the first person who gets the right answer.

Basically, you post your two 'words', 'pictures', 'songs', 'movies'....etc. etc. whatever you want that have some sort of secret link behind them. FGers have to figure out what it is.

Here's an example:

SSsejZ9krDiV9N8TExmRGZ-320-80.jpg

c88f710347aed645fd9b42f4e937b5df.jpg

Leonardo

:)

Is that it? Good game, I'll play

bubblypop wrote: »
    Leonardo

:)

Is that it? Good game, I'll play

Correcto!!!

I'll whip up an OP.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a sheepulator that is Chromebook compatible?
    ...and without access to Excel (only Google Sheets).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a sheepulator that is Chromebook compatible?
    ...and without access to Excel (only Google Sheets).

I'll look into this.

Edit:
    Starting point.
    532363.PNG

Neowise wrote: »
    I'll look into this.

Very kind, thank you Neowise :)

If I recall, someone else (who ran a sheep several months ago) was having the same issues... Reberetta maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has a tournament for best Christmas film been done before, if so did Die Hard win :p if not someone should do to coincide with best Christmas song

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has a tournament for best Christmas film been done before, if so did Die Hard win :p if not someone should do to coincide with best Christmas song

Ran last year by QB, I won't spoil the surprise for you.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058036877/1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

We need a greatest Disney movie tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Could somebody please do the boardsies decide the greatest ever movie villain contest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Neowise

If neither nerco or omackrael bite, i'll do it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Could somebody please do the boardsies decide the greatest ever movie villain contest?

That is one I had in mind but I wont get around to it for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Had an idea for a new kind of Walrus game. It would be a weekly competition with the category changing each week. Users post their own song in the thread (with an optional few sentences to why they choose it). The song with the most thanks at the end of the week wins. The winner chooses the song category for the next week.

Weekly Walrus I call it, inspired I know. What do you think, any suggestions? Perhaps thanks not the best way to judge the winner but I can't think of a better one.

LOVE IT.

could just do it the way the other persistent games go. i.e, you start and your winner goes next with their category and so on

tusk wrote: »
    LOVE IT.

could just do it the way the other persistent games go. i.e, you start and your winner goes next with their category and so on

Yes that was the plan

I mean, category chooser chooses the winner, nix the thanks thing like u say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ShaneU wrote: »
    Had an idea for a new kind of Walrus game. It would be a weekly competition with the category changing each week. Users post their own song in the thread (with an optional few sentences to why they choose it). The song with the most thanks at the end of the week wins. The winner chooses the song category for the next week.

Weekly Walrus I call it, inspired I know. What do you think, any suggestions? Perhaps thanks not the best way to judge the winner but I can't think of a better one.

I think it sounds good.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

tusk wrote: »
    I mean, category chooser chooses the winner, nix the thanks thing like u say

The problem there would be, some weeks the person could take forever to pick a winner, and the game would end up being stalled for ages. I'm guessing Shane's idea is to keep things moving and that there's always a slice of Walrus happening, while people take their sweet ass-time hosting the regular Walruses... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Use thanks! Thats what its there for, I used it in the ms paint tournament and it works fine.. you can thank more than one if you can't choose between them and in the even of a draw the cat chooser decides the winner.

We'll go with thanks then. Thread incoming

Sounds like a good idea Shane :)

One thing I'd consider is still having entries by PM, with a very tight deadline (maybe 24hrs)

The reason I say it is that I think it's better if all the songs land at once. Otherwise, say Person A puts a song up, people listen and like it, then two days later person B sticks one up, they're at a disadvantage I think...?

Also, then it's anonymous, which is fairer on Trig :D

(only joking Trig, but you were the last post!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sounds like a good idea Shane :)

One thing I'd consider is still having entries by PM, with a very tight deadline (maybe 24hrs)

The reason I say it is that I think it's better if all the songs land at once. Otherwise, say Person A puts a song up, people listen and like it, then two days later person B sticks one up, they're at a disadvantage I think...?

Also, then it's anonymous, which is fairer on Trig :D

(only joking Trig, but you were the last post!)

Fair comment

Could do, 3 days submission window, no thanks allowed, then 4 day voting window

Advertisement