Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm with Home Assistant Integration

Options
  • 15-08-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I have recently began using Home Assistant to bring in all my smart gadgets into one place but my 10 year old HKC alarm is very dumb :(

Has anyone here been able to successfully integrate it with Home Assistant so it can be controlled from there?

I have asked an engineer to see what options I have and for my current model I can only add the GSM module no LAN/wifi cards available. Or go for the 1070 panel and I can use Wifi and the HKC app (with a monthly fee of course) to control it - this would give me remote control capability but did not find a way to integrate it with Home Assistant

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is no official way to integrate with Home Assistant, but there are some sort of unofficial ways.

First check out https://konnected.io/, they have two options:
    - Actually replaces the panel and just reuse the sensors
    - Leave the panel, but detect and interact with the panel. However I assume you have the older 812 panel, same as myself, I think the inputs and outputs are limited on this.

Another poster just a few days ago was able to setup interaction with his newer HKC panel using a Raspberry Pi, see this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992464

I think you will be limited by your older panel.

Personally I switched to a DIY Yale Alarm system, which has it's pros and cons, but can interact with HA, etc. I'm happy with it, but it has it's downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

bk wrote: »
    There is no official way to integrate with Home Assistant, but there are some sort of unofficial ways.

First check out https://konnected.io/, they have two options:
    - Actually replaces the panel and just reuse the sensors
    - Leave the panel, but detect and interact with the panel. However I assume you have the older 812 panel, same as myself, I think the inputs and outputs are limited on this.

Another poster just a few days ago was able to setup interaction with his newer HKC panel using a Raspberry Pi, see this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057992464

I think you will be limited by your older panel.

Personally I switched to a DIY Yale Alarm system, which has it's pros and cons, but can interact with HA, etc. I'm happy with it, but it has it's downsides.

I actually came across Konnected myself but did not know that you can run it alongside the old system. And yes I have 8/12 v7.40 Nov10
    If you cannot see the status of each sensor (I just have 11 of them standard door/window types) and cannot control it from HA then no point.

Would all of that work if using the new 1070 panel I wonder, got quoted about 400 to replace the panel and keypad

Someone else mentioned relays on another forum also but no idea where to start, quite confident I can do the electrical bit but just need to know how to wire the relays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Would all of that work if using the new 1070 panel I wonder, got quoted about 400 to replace the panel and keypad

I'd guess so, seems like it has more options anyway in terms of inputs and outputs. Not that I've tried it myself, so no guarantee.

Though you should be looking for a 10270 panel, it replaced the 1070.

If you wanted to you could skip getting the dual path card, if you plan on using home assistant to monitor and control it instead. Though then perhaps a GSM communicator might be a good idea as a bsackup.

Another option might be a Siemens Vanderbilt system if you can find an installer. It has HA integration, see here:
    https://www.home-assistant.io/components/spc/

NOTE: I'm not an installer, just a DIYer with an interest in Home Automation and networking.

I suppose just need to find out if the 812 supports this and that would sort me out:

If your existing system supports it, you may be able to arm & disarm remotely via the Konnected board using a relay and key switch.

I suppose just need to find out if the 812 supports this and that would sort me out:

If your existing system supports it, you may be able to arm & disarm remotely via the Konnected board using a relay and key switch.

To be honest, I can't remember exactly why now, but when this was announced, I went and opened up my 812 panel and I think it was missing one of those, so at the time I decided it was a non runner for me.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, I can't remember exactly why now, but when this was announced, I went and opened up my 812 panel and I think it was missing one of those, so at the time I decided it was a non runner for me.

I got this back from the Konnected guys:
    You would need a key switch zone for arm/disarm. And you would need a free programmable zone to monitor the armed status of the board. The Interface board would go alongside the other zones.

I'd say the key switch zone doesn't exist due to the age of that panel

Ok I have opened up my panel and found I am using 7 out 8 zones, 1 free which is exactly what is needed to arm/disarm via the relay.
    The 8/12 panel also has 4 programmable outputs, two of which are alarm on/off status and arm/disarm status which means I should have everything I need as per the very detailed video below:

https://youtu.be/fcY0dYuBQCo

I'm going to go for the 12 zone kit and see how I get on.
    Will report here with findings.

Great, do let us know how it goes.

It would probably help too if you can get a hold of the installation manual. It is against the rules to share it here on boards, but a bit of googlin might turn it up or someone else might share it to you.

Oh and did you find if the 812 has a key switch that allows you to arm/disarm the system?

Just ordered it there and yeah I got in to the engineers menu and you can set a zone to type key so that should be it.
    I have the manual in case anyone needs and let's just say HKC themselves were less than helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mossmaan

Just ordered it there and yeah I got in to the engineers menu and you can set a zone to type key so that should be it.
    I have the manual in case anyone needs and let's just say HKC themselves were less than helpful.

Apologies, I've asked this question on another thread but SD_DRACULA I hope you might be able to enlighten me here...

...I'm struggling with the final pieces of my Konnected install with the HKC 10270.
    What Output Option do I set for Programmable Outputs 1 & 2 for;
    1. check the status of the alarm (armed or disarmed)
    2. check if the alarm has been triggered

I'm trying to follow Nate's video on wiring the Interface Panel but just coming up short on this programming piece.

• Advertisement

mossmaan wrote: »
    Apologies, I've asked this question on another thread but SD_DRACULA I hope you might be able to enlighten me here...

...I'm struggling with the final pieces of my Konnected install with the HKC 10270.
    What Output Option do I set for Programmable Outputs 1 & 2 for;
    1. check the status of the alarm (armed or disarmed)
    2. check if the alarm has been triggered

I'm trying to follow Nate's video on wiring the Interface Panel but just coming up short on this programming piece.

Ok so no idea on the 10270 I don't have it but on my 8/12 board I have pins 3 and 4 (see photo) called Alarm and Arm (alarm status on/off and arm status on/off)
    I don't believe you need to program them, they just work as is, you just need to hook them up as the video.

I don't have my Konnected kit just yet so I can't confirm, but other than that you will need to program one free zone as Key type to be able to arm/disarm remotely

Ok so no idea on the 10270 I don't have it but on my 8/12 board I have pins 3 and 4 (see photo) called Alarm and Arm (alarm status on/off and arm status on/off)
    I don't believe you need to program them, they just work as is, you just need to hook them up as the video.

I don't have my Konnected kit just yet so I can't confirm, but other than that you will need to program one free zone as Key type to be able to arm/disarm remotely

I think I'm good for the arm/disarm relay but its checking the status where I'm struggling. I don't have labels like yours, but 2 empty outputs that I need to program - just not sure what options I should choose.
    I think I have to post some more before I can attach images....

Yeah not sure where exactly but it will be somewhere in the engineer's menu. Mine is totally different so I wouldn't know

I just wired up my Konnected into my existing alarm panel and I see it on HA but I am having an issue, in the instructional video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcY0dYuBQCo&t=1908s) it says to dial the resistance dials all the way counter-clockwise if I have no resistors (which I don’t) but no matter where I turn the dial, it never registers a sensor being closed/open.
    Raised a ticket with Konnected, we'll see

@mossmaan, did you have any issues like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

I just wired up my Konnected into my existing alarm panel and I see it on HA but I am having an issue, in the instructional video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcY0dYuBQCo&t=1908s) it says to dial the resistance dials all the way counter-clockwise if I have no resistors (which I don’t) but no matter where I turn the dial, it never registers a sensor being closed/open.

How are the zones wired from the alarm to the system?

As you see in the photo

Yep - pretty sure I had the exact same issue. I had to connect the jumper wire to the -ve side of the alarm panel zone for the Konnected board to show a state change with the sensors.
    Mine essentially works in reverse from whats in the video. My potentiometer lights are off and toggle on when I open doors/windows.
    I asked a few questions on here and support was really good - https://www.facebook.com/groups/konnected.io/
    You should be able to find my post on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've enabled the serial out on my panel and it's going to a raspberry pi which is running a perl script that interprets the outpit and emails me any events, I had this going to Domoticz a few years back but than install failed and I haven't bothered getting it into openhab yet.

Yep - pretty sure I had the exact same issue. I had to connect the jumper wire to the -ve side of the alarm panel zone for the Konnected board to show a state change with the sensors.
    Mine essentially works in reverse from whats in the video. My potentiometer lights are off and toggle on when I open doors/windows.
    I asked a few questions on here and support was really good - https://www.facebook.com/groups/konnected.io/
    You should be able to find my post on there :)

I don't see any -ve connection on my panel and I tried connecting the pin on the connected board to either black or red cable on the zone input on the HKC and nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have a look at this thread too you can DIY a virtual keypad for the panel

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057113381 read through it covers HKC too.

I don't see any -ve connection on my panel and I tried connecting the pin on the connected board to either black or red cable on the zone input on the HKC and nothing

Basically I've just connected the jumper wires to the right slot of the two alarm slots on each zone on the panel, turned the potentiometer counter clockwise and then the Konnected board started lighting up when I opened doors.

I used a multi-meter to check the voltage when the doors were opened and closed to make sure it was working

This pic is from last week
    https://imgur.com/QQFaXCG

That's exactly what is supposed to happen, turn anti-clockwise all the way except for me it never actually goes on/off when the door is open closed. I tried both cables on each zone, just in case and also no luck.
    I did noticed that some zones are joined together, for example both kitchen door and window are on one zone. Don't see why this would affect anyway.
    But I did try a single zone like the front door and no joy either so I don't know.
    I have 2 connected boards and both do the same

Basically I've just connected the jumper wires to the right slot of the two alarm slots on each zone on the panel, turned the potentiometer counter clockwise and then the Konnected board started lighting up when I opened doors.

I used a multi-meter to check the voltage when the doors were opened and closed to make sure it was working

This pic is from last week
    https://imgur.com/QQFaXCG

If you activate the system does it show a vibration sensor activating, panic alarm on the keypad or is it just limited to the zones opening?

That's exactly what is supposed to happen, turn anti-clockwise all the way except for me it never actually goes on/off when the door is open closed. I tried both cables on each zone, just in case and also no luck.
    I did noticed that some zones are joined together, for example both kitchen door and window are on one zone. Don't see why this would affect anyway.
    But I did try a single zone like the front door and no joy either so I don't know.
    I have 2 connected boards and both do the same

If you disconnect the wires in the zone and put a short across the zone with the cable to the device does that work?
    Open side without the cable to see if it registers the zone open.

Basically the alarm works perfectly as is
    I was only able to get the remote arm/disarm via the relay to work and the alarm status on/off, nothing else.
    Some zones are a few sensors in series I guess,
    Not sure why the multiple ones pretty much have 0v when closed instead of 3.3 like the rest.

This is my set up.

Zone 1 - single sensor - 3.3v closed / 4.5v open
    Zone 2 - single sensor - 3.3v closed / 4.5v open
    Zone 3 - single sensor - 3.3v closed / 4.5v open
    Zone 4 - 3 sensors - 0.1v closed / 6.9v open
    Zone 5 - single sensor - 3.3v closed / 4.5v open
    Zone 6 - 2 sensors - 0.1v closed / 6.9v open
    Zone 7 - 2 sensors - 0.1v closed / 6.9v open
    Zone 8 - Konnected relay to arm/disarm

altor wrote: »
    If you activate the system does it show a vibration sensor activating, panic alarm on the keypad or is it just limited to the zones opening?

Yes I have a zone test menu where it tells me exactly what zone is open on the keypad, they all work ok. Just that the konnected doesn't register anything.

altor wrote: »
    If you disconnect the wires in the zone and put a short across the zone with the cable to the device does that work?
    Open side without the cable to see if it registers the zone open.

Will try this now and I assume the wire to the Konnected board should be the left one (red) on the panel's zone?

Yes I have a zone test menu where it tells me exactly what zone is open on the keypad, they all work ok. Just that the konnected doesn't register anything.

Sorry SD, that was aimed at mossmaan,

Just trying to see if its only works with contacts (open/close) or does it work with analyzed zones, shock sensors.
    Or would it activate on a keypad panic or faults on the system.

• Advertisement

Will try this now and I assume the wire to the Konnected board should be the left one (red) on the panel's zone?

Could be either side, Ive never used the Konnected board.
    Just want to see if it shows open on a zone with nothing on it with link on one side on and off.

Advertisement