Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death Stranding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There are some nice stories in the memory clips. One about a song , he said he heard it and instantly saw Sam walking through the landscape. It is by a guy who owns a catering company. So he put the song in the E3 trailer and it went on to top the charts in a few countries. Plus he got him to cater the devs on a few occasions.

Another in Iceland his driver knew a band plating in a record store so they went to see them. Again he liked them so put them in the game.

He seems like a very decent guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Started the game, tried figuring out the buttons. Found sprint but didn't know how to stop, ran straight off a cliff, WTF moment and back at it. My god the graphics are incredible and the sense of movement is incredible. It might look like MGS V but it feels way more realistic.

Only downside i see so far is the vibration is so strong, will be swapping out my joypads quite a bit i think but this game seems like vibrations would be important.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Also, i too have to listen out for baby crying on a monitor, not looking forward to wondering if that's the monitor or joypad. Finally, baby gone to sleep, time to relax and put on a game where I'm minding a baby....

Actually happened, paused the game to check on the baby monitor, all quiet. Unpaused and put the joypad to my ear, yupp, just bb wimpering away. Volume on controller was low so messed with my head a bit :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only had a chance to play the prologue but I’m definitely in.

There’s absolutely some Kojima bull**** (:() here, but on the plus side it’s also loaded with Kojima bull**** (:)). The man’s a lunatic who wouldn’t know subtle if it came up and smacked him right up in the goddamn head with a mallet (had to laugh at the lad casually exposition bombing the world’s modern history during a cross-country drive), but his team know how to craft a visually marvellous, idiosyncratic and atmospheric world. Some pleasingly creepy, mystifying stuff in that opening gamut of cutscenes. The strange, desolate landscapes were among the only worthwhile things about the Alien prequels a few years ago, and this captures that cataclysmic eerieness and dials it up to 11.

I am an absolute sucker for games that turn traversal into actual mechanics (rather than ‘hold button and parkour’) so the second I picked up the first crates I was satisfied the game had the necessary weight and physicality. All about delivering those packages, friends.

That said, the Monster energy product placement - although mere ‘placement’ is a rather mild descriptor - can get in the ****ing sea at the earliest opportunity :)

Actually happened, paused the game to check on the baby monitor, all quiet. Unpaused and put the joypad to my ear, yupp, just bb wimpering away. Volume on controller was low so messed with my head a bit :)

And now the opposite happened. Heard crying, put joypad to my ear, nothing, checked monitor, yupp my other BB. Time to stop for the night.

On chapter 2 and I'm all in. I have so many questions but I'm looking forward to finding the answers. I'm also looking forward to delivering parcels but gonna take the advice on here and not hang around chapter 2 too long.

• Advertisement

Chapter 3 is where it steps up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

What's the verdict from those playing? Part of me wants to get it but reluctant to do so as it seems to be based on things I generally can't stand in gaming. Fetch quests, complicated inventory management, over encumbrance. From everything I've read I would hate it yet I'm still genuinely curious about it. I've never played a HK game before (got Metal Gear HD collection but could not adapt to old style controls).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Was off yesterday with time to kill, so I caved and bought this after being on the fence since the reviews came out.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I'm on chapter 2, not certain but I'm guessing I'm near the end of it -
    I'm just about to start the long order from capital knot city to Port knot city, just after getting the bike working which is a godsend

Visually it's stunning, the landscapes look amazing. The story and world is unveiled gradually, alot of questions I had make more sense now, but still alot to be cleared up. Seems like the kind of game you have to experience - I wasn't too keen when I heard the missions were all essentially deliveries, but there's something strangely satisfying about completing a big one over tough terrain when you're under pressure
    Love how the mood/tone changes when a MULE spots you, or worse, the BTs show up
    . It's not like other games where to get from A to B, you just hold forward on the analog, you have to assess the terrain and plot your route. It sounds boring but in real time it provides more of a challenge than the usual traversal in games. It's also great when you come across a ladder or rope left by someone else, just when you need it most
    Early on when I was being chased by MULES the first time, I was running away and came to a huge drop off a cliff, but thankfully someone left a rope going down the cliff face!

I guess I'll see if the delivery mechanics become boring over time, but it sounds like the game really steps up in chapter 3, and even in chapter 2 there are new aspects introduced gradually after each mission. Enjoying it so far though.

What's the verdict from those playing? Part of me wants to get it but reluctant to do so as it seems to be based on things I generally can't stand in gaming. Fetch quests, complicated inventory management, over encumbrance. From everything I've read I would hate it yet I'm still genuinely curious about it. I've never played a HK game before (got Metal Gear HD coll3but could adapt yo old style controls).

Normal fetch quests are about just wasting time. Pick up item here drive to person there to get the next mission, and you just hold x or push up and the trek is forgettable.

Same with over encumbered in other games it's annoying because if you have 199.99lbs of items you can sprint but have 200.1 you can't move. And you never know what you will need.

But here the journey is the game. You battle the terrain, enemies, gravity. You balance the items and this impacts gameplay. You Help and get help from strangers. When you arrive you feel a sense of completion and those journeys stay with you.

It's kinda like mountain walking. To one person it is time spent at peace, in nature looking at stunning surroundings, testing their physical limits and when you get to the top a great sense of accomplishment.

To others it's just looking at the same boring grass/bushes and drizzle, and all you get is sore legs so why bother.

Grumpy thanks for the 'triangle to auto sort' tip. I went from constantly going off balance because all the boxes were stacked vertically to being spread out to shoulders, arms and back. I was faster and more agile, less falling :)

The music is so good as well and speaking of, really cool of the composer to try help out steamers to keep the integrity of the experience.

https://twitter.com/Ludvig_Forssell/status/1192986703662682112?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The music is awesome, some dacent choons! I'm loving the game tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Few other bits for managing items.

Recycle all the time and start trips with a bare minimum amount of items. There isn't really any item you need that can't be built again. And when you recycle the materials go back into that store for you to use.

Use shared and private lockers. If you have non critical mission deliveries stick them in a shared locker and other players will bring them for you. While there look for other player's item to match your journey. You can also get boots, weapons and materials here. But remember to give as much as you take.

Use private lockers to store large amounts of materials. In chapter 3 on you need lots to build a road network. No point lugging them up and down so start storing them while in the area and cone back later.

Any tips for avoiding BT's? On chapter 2,
    came across my 2nd BT area, got caught again, managed to leg it out of the tar pit again and they disappeared. I crouch, sneak around, hold my breath but i always end up right on top of one. Am i supposed to be going the opposite way that my spinning shoulder thing is pointing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

came across my 2nd BT area, got caught again, managed to leg it out of the tar pit again and they disappeared. I crouch, sneak around, hold my breath but i always end up right on top of one. Am i supposed to be going the opposite way that my spinning shoulder thing is pointing?

Yes, try using the pulse too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Use the R1 (pulse?) when crouching and not moving, decide where you going (aim for about 20m) and when you get there repeat. Holding your breath does help too.

Thanks lads, yeah i would crouch and pulse, see the BT's and then move in a direction away from them but my shoulder thing would start freaking out and the next pulse would show them right on top of me. Then i don't know if i should do like the cutscenes and stay completely still while holding breath or leg it.

Ah i just need more experience with them.

After that particular encounter, i came across a river where i fell twice and chasing my cargo. Only dawned on me afterward that i could have thrown down a ladder. I'm sure once the systems click with me, it will be gravy.

I'm seeing a similar thing on social media between this and days gone. The majority of posts are negative and from people who obviously haven't played it. I get that the cool thing to do these days **** on, well, anything but don't let all the 'walking simulator' comments put you off trying this. The hiking mechanic is really really good.

For the BTs. The shoulder thing will point at them. The white side flashes towards the bt. If you stop when it starts going mad, they materialize in the air.

But you can't see them unless you are still. So once you start moving again they will vanish and you run the risk of one landing right on you.

Holding your breath will make it hard for them to locate you. But you kinda have to crouch move slowly 5-10 feet. Keep going away from the direction it is flashing and stop regularly for 3 to 4 seconds to let them form.

If they see you they hit the ground then start chasing you, grabbing your legs trying to drag you to the other world. Hit square to kick them off then just run like crazy :)

That doesn't include the invisible one that makes the foot prints. You just hear him and see the splodge. Sit still with your breath held until he walks off then move on. :)

It is so unnerving.

BT tips worked a treat. Stumbled upon them while i needed to collect crystals, was able to move around them, get what i need and get away without altering them :)

Also had my first 'connection' moment. Large River i was crossing regularly, i found a ladder had been put down across half of it. I laid one down for the second half and now it had a clear crossing. Very minor thing but still felt like team work with some stranger and hopefully it will help other strangers.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This game has something. It shouldn't be good just reading the mechanics but when you're hiking across a hillside, checking elevations for the best route, it just works. I don't know how but on chapter three now and just enthralled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I heard it likened to Shadow of the Colossus yesterday and I would agree with that. A large open world with nothing really in it, but you just can't put it down.

Really enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kudos to the actors who managed to finally say ‘Die Hardman’ with a straight face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Few other bits for managing items.

Recycle all the time and start trips with a bare minimum amount of items. There isn't really any item you need that can't be built again. And when you recycle the materials go back into that store for you to use.

Use shared and private lockers. If you have non critical mission deliveries stick them in a shared locker and other players will bring them for you. While there look for other player's item to match your journey. You can also get boots, weapons and materials here. But remember to give as much as you take.

Use private lockers to store large amounts of materials. In chapter 3 on you need lots to build a road network. No point lugging them up and down so start storing them while in the area and cone back later.

Sounds like GeoCaching, the videogame! :p

The trek down to Port Knot City was beautiful, ended way too quickly but then i had trekked fecking miles already. Just about to go through a gate which i think will mean the start of chapter 3 so wanted to wait for more free time as i sense some cutscenes :)

For the grenades, do you have to drop the empty box before you can equip more grenades? Is there anyway for the box to auto drop so you can just start on the next box of grenades?

You don't have to drop them. Press right on the d-pad and equip a fresh set of 5. In this menu there can be a few pages. Click Right stick to change page. Sometimes the other set are on page 2 or 3.

You don't have to drop them. Press right on the d-pad and equip a fresh set of 5. In this menu there can be a few pages. Click Right stick to change page. Sometimes the other set are on page 2 or 3.

Ah **** thanks. I was wondering why my equipped stayed at 0 when i knew i had other cases, knew the way i was doing it couldn't be normal. But then, i didn't have time to go fiddling around with menus with the predicament i was in :)

As for Higgs
    i usually don't like hearing Troy bakers voice in games as he's a bit overused but just from that first meeting, he nails it. Character seems really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I may be wrong but I've noticed something that may be of use to others.

If you see an auto paver, contribute something to it as soon as you see it, even if it's just a couple of chiral crystals. It seems as soon as you dump even 1 chiral crystal into it, you will start receiving contributions from other players to the same paver. I'm struggling for mats in chapter 3 somewhat, but just by donating a few crystals to the pavers I've come across, I've still got a quite impressive road network due to the contributions of others.

Yeah i can't figure it out. I built the first two sections then another one appeared to be built by others, i found one other paver half full so finished that and got a nice road to the south (past the elder and craftsman). But since then ive been struggling by myself. So im wondering if some is tied to story progression. I just got to a new area in the south west with loads more but it looks like no one has been here. I might need to move along a story mission or two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really Really intrigued by this but going to wait until the PC version as I know I'll never finish it on PS4. The wait will be a pain.

As for the Days gone comparisons.... don't put me off this game please! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Anyone come across the Horizon Zero dawn easter egg near the junk dealer
    tallneck hologram walking along
    ? Was amazing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really Really intrigued by this but going to wait until the PC version as I know I'll never finish it on PS4. The wait will be a pain.

I figured this would be more of a cinematic experience I should play on my larger TV but I guess I could use my second monitor to do other things while playing past the boring content on PC. Now I'm not sure if I should wait or not...

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ha, nothing like days gone, just a similar reaction from people who haven't played it :)

At the start of chapter 3 and totally hooked on the story even though so much is still a mystery. Some long cutscenes but I'm finding them absorbing.

And the music is just incredible.

Yeah i can't figure it out. I built the first two sections then another one appeared to be built by others, i found one other paver half full so finished that and got a nice road to the south (past the elder and craftsman). But since then ive been struggling by myself. So im wondering if some is tied to story progression. I just got to a new area in the south west with loads more but it looks like no one has been here. I might need to move along a story mission or two.

I thought it might be tied to story progress as well, but haven't really played any story at all today and they seem to be going up at a crazy rate. I do seem to have hit a slump though towards the southwest, I can see a piece has gone up in the distance, but I'm missing chunks in between. Bizzare!

Love how rewarding it is though, its absolutely liberating once you piece a few stretches together.

F***ing ghosts, f**k off!

That wind farm is the greatest c**t of a place. Thought I was never going to 5 star it.

Rob2D wrote: »

That wind farm is the greatest c**t of a place. Thought I was never going to 5 star it.

I haven't got 5 stars there yet. I do think I have gotten incredibly lucky there though with the equipment i have come across. A couple of really well placed bridges in my game (i have no idea how people managed to fit them down) have made the trickier bits of the area a bit easier to traverse.

• Advertisement

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC version is too far away.

That enough?

giphy.gif

Once you get to Port Knot are you gone? I went up there for a look last night without 5 starring the musician. Not looking forward to the trek back down the valley. Don't want to leave anything unfinished.

Once you get to Port Knot are you gone? I went up there for a look last night without 5 starring the musician. Not looking forward to the trek back down the valley. Don't want to leave anything unfinished.

You'll get the option to finish chapter 2 and it asks if you want to clean up any unfinished orders but once you start chapter 3, fast travel unlocks and you can go back any time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Was away at the weekend so looking forward to finally picking this up today. Is there a long time for installation/download of any patches?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Was away at the weekend so looking forward to finally picking this up today. Is there a long time for installation/download of any patches?

Day one patch of 1gb, should be up and running in twenty minutes depending on your internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

And the music is just incredible.

Ah damn, that's me buying the game now so. Nothing like music to elevate a game or movie.

So since release, this thread has had zero negative things said about the game by anyone I think?

My only complaint is there is to much faffing around in the menus at the terminals when you do a delivery or anything else. How many times have I got to mash the x button, once should be enough. It does my head in but I'm loving the game overall.

There is definitely small annoyances, but I think for me anyway the positives outweigh the negatives by so much that I don't even notice them.

If I really think about it, the main issues for me are:

- UI is pretty unintuitve to begin with. Most of my opening hours were spent feeling as though I had made my way through the menus by accident rathe than knowing what I was actually doing.

- BTs don't really pose much of a threat at anytime (at least so far). The first few encounters are incredibly tense. But once you learn how to spot them properly, and get access to equipment that helps deal with them, they become more of a nuisance and that intruige fades (somewhat).

- Human enemies pose absolutely no threat and interactions with them can be extremely dull. I think this will change later with how the story is progressing, but at the moment encounters are trivial and enemies seem far to easy to dispatch of.

All that said though these aren't issues that I think about moment to moment because the game is that good and I'm so absorbed by the world and its mechanics. At the same time I can absolutely see why someone might play this for ten hours and bounce off it, never to return again . It definitely isn't a game for everyone, but I think it is one that everyone should at least try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

IS there any spoiler free lore sites or videos? I feel a bit lost sometimes when they talk about BT's like I've missed something but I'm not sure if I actually have.

Only major annoyance I had was being trapped in a private room until after exhausting all other options I had a shower, then the option to leave popped up :)

I too felt like i missed what BT's were, still don't know what it stands for. In the private room, if you HAVE to do some kind of action, there will be an exclamation mark beside it. I think anyway.

I'm sure the BT thing will all become clear but I'd avoid story videos and let the game tell me (hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would love to know how the story is for people you have completed the game.
    Is it overall good? or lacking? etc.

So much i've read is people saying how great the game is but not so much the completed story. It's a given tho as the game seems so long.

So much i've read is people saying how great the game is but not so much the completed story. It's a given tho as the game seems so long.

I checked the trophies last night and it was like 30% finished chapter 2 and under 6% finished chapter 3. I think there might be 10+ chapters so might not hear much about endgame. I've already read about YouTube videos with endgame spoilers in title and thumbnail, hopefully will be able to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Im only on Episode 5 so haven't got the full story but in my opinion the story is the best part of the game, I'm finding the game play to be pretty tedious but everytime I feel like giving up there is a new story beat that pushes me on. You are best to read all of the interviews to get a better idea of the lore. You wont understand terms like BT, The Beach, Death Stranding etc if you go by character dialogue alone, there isn't much exposition to explain those terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement