Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2014, 15:38   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120_Minutes View Post
I've never put much faith in the whole "line up a few songs to get a hidden message" thing that follows tool around,
Me too. Though in this case there is a huge coincidence of the tracks making up the same exact time. That said, I don't think it adds anything to either track, just sounds different.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2014, 17:21   #32
Vaxxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maye83 View Post
Random video, but it's great:

That was excellent, the kid on the bass was so in to it!
07-03-2014, 09:38   #33
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

more or less on topic
(3) thanks from:
07-03-2014, 10:00   #34
Miprocin

New Album is reportedly "100% Finished".

Quote:
Here’s a sentence eight years in the making: Tool have finished their new studio album.

According to Crave Online, guitarist Adam Jones has confirmed that the long-awaited follow-up to 2006′s 10,000 Days is ”100% done” and should arrive later this year.

In an interview with Loudwire last summer, drummer Danny Carey insinuated that some outside forces were holding up the album’s release. ”We could have the record finished by the end of the year – that’s a possibility, but the logistics of getting it manufactured and getting the record company in line and all this stuff, I doubt we’ll be able to get it out before Christmas. We’ll see how it goes. Most likely, it’ll be early 2014.”

Meanwhile, frontman Maynard James Keenan spoke about the band’s intricate recording process in an interview with Rolling Stone last November. ”I don’t write the music. They write the music,” he said of his bandmates. “I wait for them to bring music to me. They tend to go back over and over stuff. It’s a long process. For a person like me, it can be a very tedious process.”

Keenan continued, ”In some ways, they are bigger perfectionists. But you can only help support their talent so long. They don’t have to go through it 700 times. They can trust that first thought. But that’s their process, so you gotta let them do it.” And is that process happening? “I couldn’t tell you.”

Tool is currently touring the U.S., their first such jaunt in two years. Thus far, they’ve stuck to the greatest hits.
I'll believe it when I see it but I can't say this news hasn't excited me!

There's also some videos floating around of their latest live performances and they look spectacular.

Last edited by Miprocin; 07-03-2014 at 11:17.
07-03-2014, 11:05   #35
xerces

Well "100% done" is a pretty unambiguous statement, I'm gonna allow myself some excitement .
Advertisement
07-03-2014, 19:54   #36
Lithium93_

I hate to burst everyone's bubble about the new Tool album being ''100% Done''. I'm afraid you've all been trolled by the band.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest...record-is-done
07-03-2014, 19:59   #37
Miprocin

07-03-2014, 20:47   #38
xerces

Oh well.
08-03-2014, 08:43   #39
Dave H

I'm in Portland on business and was lucky enough to snag a couple of tickets for the show that someone posted a clip of earlier. Mind bending visuals and a near perfect performance. No new material played but that's fair enough.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2014, 12:34   #40
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

it'll still probably be out this year
Thanks from:
10-03-2014, 01:28   #41
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
it'll still probably be out this year
Been saying that a few years now though. In all honesty Tool treat their fans terribly, an album every 5 years at the absolute best and 10-12 song setlists when they tour, as good live as they are. Maynard spends way too much time pricking around, guy is a knobhead imo, albeit a hugely talented one.

Thought 10,000 days was good but not great and didn't hold a candle to the previous two. Two albums this millenium is a ****ing joke though.

Last edited by spiralism; 10-03-2014 at 01:32.
(2) thanks from:
10-03-2014, 22:38   #42
Somnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Been saying that a few years now though. In all honesty Tool treat their fans terribly, an album every 5 years at the absolute best and 10-12 song setlists when they tour, as good live as they are. Maynard spends way too much time pricking around, guy is a knobhead imo, albeit a hugely talented one.

Thought 10,000 days was good but not great and didn't hold a candle to the previous two. Two albums this millenium is a ****ing joke though.
I get where you're coming from, but I would rather wait for them to release an album when they're ready than be the kind of band churning out a forgettable album every couple of years and grinding the road constantly. These days that seems like the only way to make a living as a musician, and I don't think that's a good thing.

However Tool can afford to have such huge breaks between albums, more power to them. I like to think the music will benefit
11-03-2014, 13:34   #43
Richy06

They owe nothing to anybody but themselves. They don't have to play for anyone or make music for anyone, they choose to. To say they treat their fans terribly is mad. They aren't some sort of company providing a service to loyal customers, they're a bunch of artists, musicians or whatever you wanna call them. They can take as long about it as they like, really and shouldn't be beholden to some over entitled individuals who have an over reaching sense of ownership about Tool's music. They're all involved in other stuff and with their art becoming more complex as the years wore on, it takes a little longer. Those live performances look stellar. Love to see them again.
Thanks from:
11-03-2014, 13:42   #44
Miprocin

To borrow a phrase originally written about George RR Martin and his tendency to take years to finish books, "Tool are not your bitch".

Last edited by Miprocin; 11-03-2014 at 13:46.
(2) thanks from:
11-03-2014, 13:53   #45

I don't think I'd say they treat their fans terribly, and when they do tour, they are fantastic live. That said, they have said in the past few years that they won't be touring much any more, as they felt that the long, year-long tours are too taxing on them physically. Which is perfectly fine, except it means we probably won't get to see them over this side of the Atlantic again. It would be nice if they released an official dvd for all the fans who don't get to see them, but I've read that the won't (and discourage people taping their shows) as they feel their gigs are a personal moment that you have to experience in the flesh.

I'm looking forward to the new album with a passing interest, I'm sure it'll come out eventually, but 10K days was pretty forgettable apart from 1 or 2 tracks IMO. I'm sure it'll be a great effort with lots of depth to the lyrics and music, but just can't get excited about it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion