Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai World Cup Night

Options
  • 21-02-2015 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

How are yas lads.

I just booked my flight to be in Dubai for this.

I heard the atmosphere is brutal at this due to lack of alochol and punting.

Going with a few of my mates and was wondering have any of you been to races in Dubai (Meydan). And if so, any tips for what type of tickets to get or any events that are worth going to etc.

I'll be posting my thoughts on the big races before I jet off here. My 2 HK sprinters both got the chockies last season so hoping I can find a few winners.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

No gambling as you mentioned, but there is table service for drinks (standard Dubai Prices) I never had more than 1 minute between drinks the attendants are constantly at it. The atmosphere is different to say the least, mostly clapping and backslapping never the same without a punt.

It's free into the racecourse which is fine but better of splashing out on one of the premium packages to get good seats, I dont have a clue about the price but I doubt they are too expensive. If you are staying in dubai central just get a cab out (its a long drive but cabs are cheap and some hotels comp your transport anyway) Get there once the gates open anyway, whatever about the atmosphere the course itself is worth a good look around its amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Make sure u back vercingetorix and via africa that night(and super Saturday)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Cheers for the help. Yeah think we are getting a premium thing hopefully. Will be delighted to tick Meydan off the list. Always wanted to go.

Not sure about the South Africans on the world stage. Only one I can think of is Variety Club. Never a fan of Igugu or Shea Shea. Suppose JJ was a beast.

Anyway I've a firm grasp of a few databases from different countries so hoping I can piece it all together.

On a side note. What's there to do in Dubai itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Plenty of drink and plenty of Irish discreet bookies there too I can assure you. As said splash out on premium. You will be able to bet using a VPN but to be on the safe side let someone at home log into your online account for you.

Dubai is a great clean safe city, Gold suk market is great for buying gold. Nightlife seems to revolve around hotels. One thing is dont get drunk as by right you need to have a licence to drink alcohol but this is only ever used against you if your really out of hand. Its a grey area but as you said its a bunch of mates beware. Never had a problem myself but had a stern warning from a cop to go back to my hotel or be arrested and I was only tipsy http://www.dubaifaqs.com/alcohol-licence.php

Food is out of this world too, the best thing about the place is the luxury of the hotels. Day trips to the desert are good and try a bit of falconary. Shopping is the other big thing ut not a lot to do there other than enjoy the luxury

William Hill are 7/1 about Designs on rome to win the sheema Classic. My advice is to take this price. Will be starting favourite. Is a better horse than Flintshire.

• Advertisement

Moreira rides Bundle Of Joy in Al Quoz.

Committed to the ride when Amber Sky was going awful. He's since trialled the house down and looks set to defend his crown. Barriers will be crucial.

News:

Ryan Moore rides Amber Sky.

Peniaphobia going for Al Quoz instead of Golden Shaheen. Dougie Whyte to steer.

Amber out in front, BOJ pressuring and Peniaphobia blousing them late I reckon. Its a sharp 1000m so will need every yard of it at a solid tempo Peniaphobia. But definitely a betting proposition with the jocks on the other two you might get a price too.

Lucky Nine is going for the Golden Shaheen. He goes super on the surface. Has been out of form recently but I am hoping the 8yr old finds his best on race night. Will be too classy if he does for that mob. Might get a price due to recent form.

dave3004 wrote: »
    News:

Ryan Moore rides Amber Sky.

Peniaphobia going for Al Quoz instead of Golden Shaheen. Dougie Whyte to steer.

Amber out in front, BOJ pressuring and Peniaphobia blousing them late I reckon. Its a sharp 1000m so will need every yard of it at a solid tempo Peniaphobia. But definitely a betting proposition with the jocks on the other two you might get a price too.

Lucky Nine is going for the Golden Shaheen. He goes super on the surface. Has been out of form recently but I am hoping the 8yr old finds his best on race night. Will be too classy if he does for that mob. Might get a price due to recent form.

Lucky Nine 20-1 on betfair, not a bad bet at all if he makes it. Peniaphobia currently 6-1 joint fav for the AQ

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Lucky Nine 20-1 on betfair, not a bad bet at all if he makes it. Peniaphobia currently 6-1 joint fav for the AQ

Into 14/1. Will start 3rd favourite. Should start favourite.

Not buying into USA form at all. Also, Lucky Nine is a better horse than Rich Tapestry.

20/1 was ridiculous. But it'll continue to shorten.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

What's the situation with laxin in Dubai? Allowed or banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

DylanAFC wrote: »
    What's the situation with laxin in Dubai? Allowed or banned?

Lasix?

It is not allowed to be found on racedays or 48hrs before a race. They can use it in training though

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kalinisi

I'm actually fully expecting these to get placed at least and hopefully a couple winn, oh the optimism...

E/W Lucky 15

Almoonqith 1.15, really improved for the step up in trip, my NAP of the day 9/1 (have had a decent e/w single here)

Maftool 1.55, seems to be stamina doubts, i think he'll get the trip 4/1

Grey Gatsby 3.40, love this horse (had him when he beat the might Australia, how about that for after timing) think he's the best horse in the race 3/1 ill take him to get them all late on. He's my NB

Flintshire 4.15, very consistent, cant see him outside the 1st 3

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Stupid question but is the racing really starting at lunchtime our time? I was hoping to get some evening racing on Saturday!

The times i have posted there are your times, its the morning time for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

kalinisi wrote: »
    I'm actually fully expecting these to get placed at least and hopefully a couple winn, oh the optimism...

E/W Lucky 15

Almoonqith 1.15, really improved for the step up in trip, my NAP of the day 9/1 (have had a decent e/w single here)

Grey Gatsby 3.40, love this horse (had him when he beat the might Australia, how about that for after timing) think he's the best horse in the race 3/1 ill take him to get them all late on. He's my NB

Grey Gatsby never ran on dirt before

Grey Gatsby never ran on dirt before

Its a turf race , you had me worried for a moment

Dubai Turf Sponsored By DP World (Group 1) (Turf)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thehape

E/W Lucky 15

Im on almoonqith 9/1 and flintshire 9/2 both nrnb in skybet.

de kock rates almoonqith his best chance of the festival. was really impressed with his last run stepped up in trip. 2 miles looks ideal

flintshire has never been outside the first 2 on good ground at a mile and a half . cant see how harp star reverses the arc form considering he is 5 pounds worse off.

good luck

Its a turf race , you had me worried for a moment

Dubai Turf Sponsored By DP World (Group 1) (Turf)

My bad, must have read Prendergasts interview arse ways, again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

I didn't think almoonqith had a chance, that last race he won was a poor race when the favourite pulled up, I think he will do well to place,brown panther I like but with this his first run he will prob just be placed.
    Marzocco I liked last year,felt he had loads of improvement in him, so I will go with him.

Hugh Taylor put up caspian prince in the sprint as well,a horse I have a soft spot for and always back.

Tamarkuz should win the opener

While Sole Power shouldn't win in Meydan, awful record, does anyone think that he could win some big races this years at Ascot? Surely, the sprinting division has got a little stronger? He is getting on now (all depends on ground too)

Anyone not a bit put off by Flintshire. He is also a bit of a bridesmaid . Alot of Second finishes (yes, I know, he wants good to firm ground) He finally got his big win in Asia , but, like all French, never trust them when they are away from home.or just french anything

• Advertisement

While Sole Power shouldn't win in Meydan, awful record, does anyone think that he could win some big races this years at Ascot? Surely, the sprinting division has got a little stronger? He is getting on now (all depends on ground too).

A fast pace over 5f, nice Summer ground and a nice passage through and he will be winning some race during the season. Of all the distances in racing you always feel sprinting is the closest between being a handicapper and being a Group 1performer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Willie Delgado a no show for California Chrome workout. Hope Willies ok

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Prince Bishop hasn't really taken a liking to the new surface has still ran two good races considering, will take a chance that it will click for him tomorrow at 14/1.

Really not seeing a lot tomorrow.

Got a tip around new years for Forjatt to win one of the early carnival races but he never even ran, I see he is going in the godolphin mile tomorrow and might have a small bet at 33s for fear of missing out.

Always like the World Cup night and had some nice winners in the big one too most memorably Well Armed when he slaughtered the field and think California Chrome could do the same to these won't be as impressive but should win the big one. Here's my selections for what they are worth

12-40 Tamarkuz 13/8
    Forecast Tamarkuz to beat Surfer
    1-15 Star Empire e/w 20/1
    1-50 Mubtaahij 11/4
    2.25 Amber Sky e/w 8/1
    3-05 Cool Cowboy e/w 20/1
    3-40 Solow 3/1 think The Grey Gatsby needs 10f to fully show his full ability
    4-15 Dolniya 7/1 going into the race under the radar
    5-05 California Chrome 13/8

Hoping Azeemah can improve in the 2 mile race.a bit frustrating.wide draw might not be greaT but I think this distance will suit him.

Can't stand brown panther.I don't care how impressive he was at the Curragh, the others gave him too much rope.

mr.jingle wrote: »
    A fast pace over 5f, nice Summer ground and a nice passage through and he will be winning some race during the season. Of all the distances in racing you always feel sprinting is the closest between being a handicapper and being a Group 1performer

I am actually tempted to put a small wager on Each way. A smaller field. Any of the English based horses he would kill at Newmarket or Ascot. Wonder is it just the track type ie fair and flat compared to dips and steep rise.?

I just think he can't possibly have much in the tank, the front runners will way too fast, a pace that might be allowed at York or Haydock but would be crucified at Ascot or Newmarket (remember that Spanish nutter at last year's Guineas, idiot)

Think Buicks horse has a chance Athoug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

The Grey Gatsby is a nice price and always underestimated, but the trip looks a little short. He improved with age last year, so as the best horse in the field who loves firm ground he's well worth taking a chance on considering he has 10lbs on the field ratings wise.

Dolniya in the Sheema Classic. A nice progressive type who ran well in the Arc, not fond of Flintshire or Harp Star who seem to be great at being unlucky in running. It's a really good competitive field.

Not convinced California Chrome deserves to be seen as a superstar who should take this as a matter of course. I really like the horse Epiphaneia, his price is miserable enough for a horse without this kind of 10f form or experience on Dirt. I just have a feeling that he could either get away from them and be unpassable or do nothing in the race. It's worth having a nibble against the favourite, a souped up win for the elder African Sky would be par for the course in Meydan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Fancy Sole Pole again tomorrow. Was given zero chance lto. With a proper ride closer to the pace & not run into a wall of horses, should place at least imo. Farmah a squeak at bigger prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Hoping Azeemah can improve in the 2 mile race.a bit frustrating.wide draw might not be greaT but I think this distance will suit him.

Can't stand brown panther.I don't care how impressive he was at the Curragh, the others gave him too much rope.

You don't like classy animals then, there is no doubting his quality and the fact is his form is the best in the race, negative is he never ran here before and is his first run of season.

Advertisement