Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Any Sligo heads hear anything about a German keeper

I really really hope so. Coulter wouldn't catch a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pighead wrote: »

Jesus we'd give up the goals as quick as we got them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wondering would anyone know if there's a Dublin version of one of these floating about for the LOI clubs, namely Bohs, Rovers, Shels and Pats. Be great to get a visual on it and see how places like Ringsend and Tallaght are distributed. Or could we have a go at making one?!
    Found one:

blank-simple-map-of-dublin-cropped-outside-no-labels.jpg

The presence of an LOI fan is denoted by a circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

djpbarry wrote: »
    Found one:

blank-simple-map-of-dublin-cropped-outside-no-labels.jpg

The presence of an LOI fan is denoted by a circle.

Hahaha:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Hey all,

Just a quick update on the magazine and we now have a website! loimonthly.com is the place to head if you want to see it. Delighted to have it out as it's been something chronically missing to be perfectly honest, and will hopefully serve as the interim base. Also will be doing subscription emails so that readers can get the latest issues sent directly to their mail box every month along with updated news :)

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Hey all,

Just a quick update on the magazine and we now have a website! loimonthly.com is the place to head if you want to see it. Delighted to have it out as it's been something chronically missing to be perfectly honest, and will hopefully serve as the interim base. Also will be doing subscription emails so that readers can get the latest issues sent directly to their mail box every month along with updated news :)

Kev

Magazine is brilliant but the website is shockingly bad. So bad, that you are better off not having it than having it in it's current guise.
    Sorry if this seems over critical but I think you're doing your magazine a major disservice.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Magazine is brilliant but the website is shockingly bad. So bad, that you are better off not having it than having it in it's current guise.
    Sorry if this seems over critical but I think you're doing your magazine a major disservice.

Hey doncarlos, that's quite a statement alright!! I'm by no means a graphic designer but I was left happy enough with the site and I've gotten some great feedback. Would you be able to send me a PM with a few of the major flaws? I'm always interested in feedback but honestly given my relative lack of any website design experience I am happy enough with the final product :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The lime green needs to be changed imo. It's a horrible colour on a website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Have to be happy with that EA Sports Cup draw. Looks like the semi final awaits. Will be lovely for UCC's wee players to play against the champs as well. Win win for both clubs.

UCC V The Champs
    Cork V Pats
    Galway V Bohs
    Derry City V Shamrock Rovers

Games to be played 18th and 19th May.

Dundalk, Pats, Bohs and Derry to make the Semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The lime green needs to be changed imo. It's a horrible colour on a website!

This. Colours are a poor choice.
    Template is really bad and looks from a site from about 15 years ago.
    The landing page is really poor with images greyed out probably should be bypassed directly to the home page.

I know it was a mate that probably made it and it's always hard to be critical of work you got for free but your publication is professional, the website should be up to the same level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Delighted with the EA Cup draw. I'll actually be able to go to my first Bohs match of the season, I seem to be in Dublin when they're away, and in Galway when they're at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

https://twitter.com/markmccadden/status/588304049478467584

Interesting to see how low wages in the league have gone. At least clubs are no longer throwing money at players, hopefully the days of clubs winning the league and then running into massive financial trouble are over. I'd imagine the highest wage of €40k a year is over forty weeks, working out as a grand a week?

Jesus christ, this article states that a few years ago there were 20+ players on €100k a year and that one player was on €180k, some decrease in wages over the past few years.

https://twitter.com/markmccadden/status/588304049478467584

Interesting to see how low wages in the league have gone. At least clubs are no longer throwing money at players, hopefully the days of clubs winning the league and then running into massive financial trouble are over. I'd imagine the highest wage of €40k a year is over forty weeks, working out as a grand a week?

Jesus christ, this article states that a few years ago there were 20+ players on €100k a year and that one player was on €180k, some decrease in wages over the past few years.

No surprise at all to hear players were getting that kind of crazy money.
    My guess of who the 180K player was would be Michael Keane. He was sacked by pats in the end for being too fat. They ended up losing a court case and had to pay out his contract. Cost them about 200k in the end.

These are a few more players that were on serious money:

Jo Ndo in his prime at Shels and Pats would have been on 150k+ depending on bonuses.
    Jason Byrne E150K
    Glen Crowe E150K
    Owen Heary E150K
    Joe Gamble was offered 250k to go to pats so he must have gotten something similar at Cork.
    Gary Dempsey (E3,500/week).

It would leave you fit to cry to think that money could have gone into building stands, pitches, training grounds and hospitality suites.
    Imagine the league we would have now.
    Probably the difference between our Champions getting into the Europa League groups regularly and where we are now.

New app for league of Ireland followers launched today.

SSE Airtricity is delighted to announce the launch of its brand new Fantasy 5 App, dedicated solely to the SSE Airtricity League.

The new Fantasy 5 app is a unique concept in Ireland which allows football fans across the country to engage with the SSE Airtricity League on a whole new level. Fans will be able to select their own fantasy 5 aside team from a combination of both clubs in each match, win weekly prizes and play an exciting and strategic game in a digital and competitive environment.

Prizes are up for grabs every week with an extra bonus of a grand prize of ‘free electricity for a year to the value of €1,200’ for the overall winner.

The concept is simple:

· Choose your preferred SSE Airtricity League game or games

· Select the 5 players you think will have the biggest impact on the match

· Confirm your entry and be in with a chance to win prizes each week

For the 2015 SSE Airtricity League season, we at SSE Airtricity wanted to focus on the fans of the league, and use these fans as the driving force for our new creative #FanPoweredFootball.

It is the dedication of the fans, the players and all the clubs, which make the SSE Airtricity League what it is. That is why SSE Airtricity is proud to introduce the first ever Fantasy 5 SSE Airtricity League App.

Desktop version
    https://www.fanfeud.co.uk/user/users/new?client_uuid=5747a59c-b13f-4202-b770-0c2563016d46

Itunes app store link:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fantasy-5-sse-airtricity-league/id980308108?mt=8

Android link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sportego.Fantasy5SSCAirtricityLeague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

SSE Airtricity is delighted to announce the launch of its brand new Fantasy 5 App, dedicated solely to the SSE Airtricity League.

The new Fantasy 5 app is a unique concept in Ireland which allows football fans across the country to engage with the SSE Airtricity League on a whole new level. Fans will be able to select their own fantasy 5 aside team from a combination of both clubs in each match, win weekly prizes and play an exciting and strategic game in a digital and competitive environment.

Prizes are up for grabs every week with an extra bonus of a grand prize of ‘free electricity for a year to the value of €1,200’ for the overall winner.

The concept is simple:

· Choose your preferred SSE Airtricity League game or games

· Select the 5 players you think will have the biggest impact on the match

· Confirm your entry and be in with a chance to win prizes each week

For the 2015 SSE Airtricity League season, we at SSE Airtricity wanted to focus on the fans of the league, and use these fans as the driving force for our new creative #FanPoweredFootball.

It is the dedication of the fans, the players and all the clubs, which make the SSE Airtricity League what it is. That is why SSE Airtricity is proud to introduce the first ever Fantasy 5 SSE Airtricity League App.

Desktop version
    https://www.fanfeud.co.uk/user/users/new?client_uuid=5747a59c-b13f-4202-b770-0c2563016d46

Itunes app store link:
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/fantasy-5-sse-airtricity-league/id980308108?mt=8

Android link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Sportego.Fantasy5SSCAirtricityLeague

App doesnt respond to me trying to select any of the sign up options on One Plus One Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

That is a very nice, slick app they've got there. Not sure about the concept behind it though.

App doesnt respond to me trying to select any of the sign up options on One Plus One Android
    Must be a few teething issues. I downloaded it on iOS and it seems ok. Haven't really had a good look at it yet though. Was hoping this would be a full on fantasy football roll out when I heard that it was in the pipeline but it's not. Still, at least they are doing something to try and bring the league to the mobile phone market.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

scroll down, there are fields to fill in underneath.

Some ropeyness on the android version, but only launched today I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Works for me on the OPO.

I still think a decent FF game with serious promotion and prizes is one of the best ways to raise the profile of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

does it say anywhere how they calculate the points?

an actual 5 a side fantasy football game would be good, as in you need a keeper, defenders mids and strikers. the 11 a side one they did a few years ago was crap because you only have 10 teams to choose from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Do you pick 5 players from each game or just one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Seems in the terms its one game per player however I put two games in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Seems in the terms its one game per player however I put two games in.

You didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose you! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Setanta showing 2 games live on May 4th

.@DundalkFC v @BrayWanderers (3pm) and @bfcdublin v @CorkCityFC (5.10pm) will be live on Setanta Ireland on May 4th Bank Holiday Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Haha smart ****e had 2nd one in before i seen the link to the rules ;)

Maybe I'm the only one with this problem but when I search "Fantasy 5" in the Google store, my results are all about Final Fanatasy 5.
    This is certainly a draw back as most people will search something once and give up pretty easily. They should have used a more unique name that would be easily searchable.
    LOI App would have been ideal. At a push even SSE Airtricity LOI App.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Who are Cork signing today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Who are Cork signing today?

Kevin O Connor ex Waterford

It would be remiss of me to ignore the anniversary of probably the greatest finish to a league of Ireland season ever. 20 years ago yesterday Dundalk Fc won their 9th league title in the most tense and exciting final day you could imagine. Derry were top, we were second and Shels were third. All three went into the final day with a chance of league glory.

Derry were away to a poor Athlone side and the trophy was wheeled down to St Mel's Park with the powers that be expecting the Candystripes to get the job done.

We played Galway at home while Shels played Pats. Here's how the afternoon unfolded.

Could watch that all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

Opening Date For Markets Field Announced

The Chairman, Board, and Executive of Limerick FC and their counterparts in Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership are pleased to announce that The Markets Field Stadium will host its first match on Friday June 5th 2015 vs Drogheda United.

https://www.facebook.com/Marketsfield

• Advertisement

A current LOI player was recently stopped for speeding after an away game when the guard came up to the window he noticed he was wearing a teams kit and figured who the player was, he then mentioned he used to play for said team and waved him on his way.

100 points for the player
    100 points for the guards name
    100 points for the team
    1000 points to anyone who gets the score of the game he was driving home from :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Can't think of many Gardai that played loi other than Mick Moody?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Nope he would be the go to copper :)

Horrible stat for corkies:
    Ronan O'Flaherty ‏@ronanoflaherty
    Cork City would have 2 more titles if they had drawn 1 of 3 games against Pats in 1998-99&drawn 1 against Dundalk last year.They lost all 6.

to make them feel better was cleaning out attic other day and found this, gave it away to a program collecter tonight.

11150151_875712325801555_5409521799782314119_n.jpg?oh=df36ee5c4b110ea7021424502f35d625&oe=55E15B86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    A current LOI player was recently stopped for speeding after an away game when the guard came up to the window he noticed he was wearing a teams kit and figured who the player was, he then mentioned he used to play for said team and waved him on his way.

100 points for the player
    100 points for the guards name
    100 points for the team
    1000 points to anyone who gets the score of the game he was driving home from :pac:

The lad Browne, who played for Limerick a good few years back...Can't think of his first name????

Nope ^ :)

Pats won the under 19 league tonight after beating Derry 3-2 in the final in Buncrana.

Massive win mainly as every KO game they played was away.

New and upcoming superstar Jamie mc grath scored this cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gPxSXsXQk

about 1 minute 50 in , dunno wtf the U2 music is all about.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nope ^ :)

Pats won the under 19 league tonight after beating Derry 3-2 in the final in Buncrana.

Massive win mainly as every KO game they played was away.

New and upcoming superstar Jamie mc grath scored this cracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gPxSXsXQk

about 1 minute 50 in , dunno wtf the U2 music is all about.

Has the look of a cracking player, the technique in both his goals is top drawer.

Gwan Roddy :)

http://www.thestar.ie/star/for-lrish-football-to-grow-clubs-must-be-sacrificed-61895/

If he manages us both he will take of it himself.

Love the 10 games dig at Kerr :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Never mind Roddy, why are tabloids allowed exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

CSF wrote: »
    Never mind Roddy, why are tabloids allowed exist.

So we can all laugh at Roddy I presume :p

21/25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

UEFA Fair Play "season" ends today so should find out next week whether or not UCD are in the Europa League in July.

We've already chartered a plane to bring all the fans to the away game
    114825.jpg

So next issue is out tomorrow (Mayday AND Friday, aren't we all so lucky!!)

It's genuinely absolutely packed, you will not find a free football magazine with more content in it. It's 39 pages, 35 of which are proper meaty text.

Huge interview with John O'Sullivan about everything; from FORAS to Athlone to Market's Field and on into the future.
    Massive historical pieces by Dave Galvin on Dave Norman, the Canadian who racked up over 50 caps and played with UCD, Gerry Desmond on Cork & Belfast Celtic's lightning scorer Jimmy Turnbull, and Mícheál Ó hUanacháin on the (lamentably weaning) history of FAI Cup upsets.

Pieces on Cork City, Dundalk, Bohs v Rovers, a proposed Celtic League, Roddy Collins, LOILegends print gallery and a load more!

Have been getting an amazing response and it seems like the momentum is well underway, so just a matter of keeping it going and spreading it further!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Oh god, not the Celtic League idea again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

That absolutely ridiculous one division idea was mentioned again on the Goal podcast. A surefire way to kill off a good 1/3 of the LOI.

That absolutely ridiculous one division idea was mentioned again on the Goal podcast. A surefire way to kill off a good 1/3 of the LOI.

Completely agree with you. When I heard Cawley talking about it I thought the same thing, but he seems to have it in his mind that it will raise FD clubs up. I think it would do the complete opposite. It would drag the current top sides down. I`d have zero interest in watching a poor Waterford or Cabinteely side rolling into the Showgrounds , saying that if Rovers don't get our arse in gear I may have no choice!

If you think about it what would the majority of sides have to play for, at best top 6 sides would compete for 4 European places, so there`d be 12 sides with absolutely nothing to play for, playing dead rubbers. At least a side challenging for a First Division title/ playing in a play off game bring out a few fans. And then do we turf out 2/4 clubs from the league?, when more than likely in a year or 2,when the latest club go tits up, we`d be going back to them begging them to come back.

If you look at the current table 7 of the teams are completely out of European places contention. And that's just after 10 games.
    It didn't work when the Irish League tried 16 sides. Scotland wont do it because there is no benefit bringing in more Motherwells, Hamilton and Patrick Thistle type teams, all it does is drain resources from the Premier.
    These sides don't improve because they don't have the population areas and resources to do it, bar maybe one or 2 seasons where they over achieve.
    Even the Swiss league which has enjoyed great European success with Young Boys and Basel still only has 10 teams in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I think the number of teams in the division is kind of a separate argument, although obviously heavily linked. It's bad enough that there is no pyramid, but to make it a single division, with no fear of relegation, with countless dead rubbers, many of them at the start of the season in the eyes of the fans, would be an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So next issue is out tomorrow (Mayday AND Friday, aren't we all so lucky!!)

It's genuinely absolutely packed, you will not find a free football magazine with more content in it. It's 39 pages, 35 of which are proper meaty text.

Huge interview with John O'Sullivan about everything; from FORAS to Athlone to Market's Field and on into the future.
    Massive historical pieces by Dave Galvin on Dave Norman, the Canadian who racked up over 50 caps and played with UCD, Gerry Desmond on Cork & Belfast Celtic's lightning scorer Jimmy Turnbull, and Mícheál Ó hUanacháin on the (lamentably weaning) history of FAI Cup upsets.

Pieces on Cork City, Dundalk, Bohs v Rovers, a proposed Celtic League, Roddy Collins, LOILegends print gallery and a load more!

Have been getting an amazing response and it seems like the momentum is well underway, so just a matter of keeping it going and spreading it further!

I've actually wrote a piece for this months magazine and am dying to read it. I may be in touch with one or two boys here from various clubs in the future for a bit of info about your club etc if that's cool. Anyway, give the official LOI Monthly Facebook page a like, raise a bit more awareness.

https://www.facebook.com/loimonthly?fref=ts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I've actually wrote a piece for this months magazine and am dying to read it.

But, surely you know what it says already if, you know, you wrote it.

:pac: :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wilberto wrote: »
    But, surely you know what it says already if, you know, you wrote it.

:pac: :P

Ha I meant the mag in general ya big dzope :P

I've actually wrote a piece for this months magazine and am dying to read it. I may be in touch with one or two boys here from various clubs in the future for a bit of info about your club etc if that's cool. Anyway, give the official LOI Monthly Facebook page a like, raise a bit more awareness.

https://www.facebook.com/loimonthly?fref=ts

Well worth reading!

Thanks for the share, and just to confirm that it's out! Just go to our website and you'll find it there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement