Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

Just wondering the guys who have received their medical dates and open day invitation was it in your publicjobs account or personal email?

Personal Email

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Just wondering the guys who have received their medical dates and open day invitation was it in your publicjobs account or personal email?

Personal email.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Highball3

With people from 2013 still being recruited does anyone know how it's going to work when this years campaign complete all stages! Will places be filled 50/50?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

Highball3 wrote: »
    With people from 2013 still being recruited does anyone know how it's going to work when this years campaign complete all stages! Will places be filled 50/50?

I would assume that the 2013 people will fill the places first any of them that is completed

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bananapancakes

Hi folks, I'm not fully up to date on the rules re posting about a business but a friend of mine is running a Shuttle Run workshop in Galway for €20 a head in early June with replica beep testing. Might be of interest to some, am I allowed to post details here mods???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Well, I'm wondering if anyone has any info on an issue im having. In relation to the medical ,if your BMI index is 30+ does anyone know for certain whether or not they use calipers to physically check your body fat? Or is it a straight fail ?

There doesn't seem to be a direct answer on any forum.

At the moment my BMI is 29.8, and I'm by no means fat...lifted weights since I was 16yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 26 confuseddude

Meeting the local Srg thursday, anyone had their interview yet. what's involved, heard it's more of a chat then an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Meeting the local Srg thursday, anyone had their interview yet. what's involved, heard it's more of a chat then an interview.

Long time lurker here. Did they call you for that or did you call them?

They called me, maybe an hour ago. Is it bad to be called?

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here. Did they call you for that or did you call them?

• Advertisement

Nah, i'd say its good in fact. Things are moving along for you. Just wondering who made contact.

Nah, i'd say its good in fact. Things are moving along for you. Just wondering who made contact.

Is it another interview do you know?, medical isn't until mid June seems soon to be called. wonder will we get much notice after the medical for the physical. Would we be lucky enough to be in the September intake.

Having my meeting with the Sergeant Thursday. She rang me last week.

Is it another interview do you know?, medical isn't until mid June seems soon to be called. wonder will we get much notice after the medical for the physical. Would we be lucky enough to be in the September intake.

Not sure what it is. I'm in the same boat, medical mid June. If the medical is mid June and lets just say physical is a month later, that's still leaves 6 weeks til the start of September. And seemingly they just give you 3/4 weeks notice of starting time. So in fact I think you'd be unlucky not to be in the September intake.

Having my meeting with the Sergeant Thursday. She rang me last week.

Is it a formal dress wear meeting do you know, and what are you expecting to be asked?

That's really cool guys! I've my medical this week and I haven't heard anything about sergeant/super meetings. I'd treat it like an interview even though some have said it's not. I was just reading back on the 2013 campaign some people said it was informal others said quite formal, so go prepared. And report back to us here! Starting to worry now that the physicals will be very soon afterwards. I am struggling with the beep test. Nowhere near the standard yet. Doing couch to 5k for general fitness and the beep for this. Some improvement but not enough to pass yet. Would like another 4 weeks really.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    That's really cool guys! I've my medical this week and I haven't heard anything about sergeant/super meetings. I'd treat it like an interview even though some have said it's not. I was just reading back on the 2013 campaign some people said it was informal others said quite formal, so go prepared. And report back to us here! Starting to worry now that the physicals will be very soon afterwards. I am struggling with the beep test. Nowhere near the standard yet. Doing couch to 5k for general fitness and the beep for this. Some improvement but not enough to pass yet. Would like another 4 weeks really.

Keep going. Watch your diet too, lots of protein and veg and lots and lots of water 2/3 litres a day. Diet will help improve fitness. You've loads of time. Just keep at it every day.

Not sure what it is. I'm in the same boat, medical mid June. If the medical is mid June and lets just say physical is a month later, that's still leaves 6 weeks til the start of September. And seemingly they just give you 3/4 weeks notice of starting time. So in fact I think you'd be unlucky not to be in the September intake.

Is it a formal dress wear meeting do you know, and what are you expecting to be asked?

I'm debating between suit or just a shirt and tie. Will probably go suit just to be safe. Not sure what I'm going to be asked tho

I'm debating between suit or just a shirt and tie. Will probably go suit just to be safe. Not sure what I'm going to be asked tho

Suit. You can always take the jacket off. Unless you know anyone who in your area who could advise?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Suit. You can always take the jacket off. Unless you know anyone who in your area who could advise?

I'm training tonight and there a few guards playing with us so i'll ask them what they think

• Registered Users Posts: 48 beaker4133

When I did it a few years ago, it was quite informal, with both the sergeant and super. Nothing to be worried about at all in my opinion. Wouldn't have to be in a full suit, just a shirt and tie would be grand...once you're tidy and clean! Have my medical next week so things are moving quickly this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Have my medical early June. Haven't heard about the meeting with the local Garda.

Watch out for protein for the medical. If you have high protein in your urine you will fail. Albumenuria, if you OD on protein it will show through your urine. The same way we are preping for the physical be no harm in preping for the medical.
    Clean diet for a week and a bit, loads of water,don't use ear phones.
    It's no harm to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

I'm training tonight and there a few guards playing with us so i'll ask them what they think

I wore a suit at the advice of the Sgt on the phone and I had to meet supt. too same day.

cluedo123 wrote: »
    I wore a suit at the advice of the Sgt on the phone and I had to meet supt. too same day.

Was that recently? Can you tell us what it was about? Was it all just why ya want to be a guard?

Anybody with experience doing Beep tests have any advice on how to prep yourself for it ?

Any info would be great :)

I'm doing it using a youtube video.

Go the local park, measure out 20mtrs and hit go on a youtube video. Do it once a day at least.

I'm doing it using a youtube video.

Go the local park, measure out 20mtrs and hit go on a youtube video. Do it once a day at least.

Yea I have the app on my phone but I'm trying to find out whether Or not there's a techique to improve your chances of progressing. I'm finding that I'm getting stuck around level 5

Anyone know how long the open day lasts and if you can bring +1's?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the open day lasts and if you can bring +1's?

Can't see it being more than 2 or 3 hours, I dunno about the plus 1s I wouldn't say so to be honest

df14 wrote: »
    Can't see it being more than 2 or 3 hours, I dunno about the plus 1s I wouldn't say so to be honest

Yea thought as much but the plus 1's. Cheers getting the train down so makes it easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Yea thought as much but the plus 1's. Cheers getting the train down so makes it easier!

I'll be driving myself so I hope it's worth the spin down

Advertisement