Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women flush down the toilet!

Options
  • 26-05-2017 11:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

Are women the main reason behind work of what waste water treatment plants do with non biodegradable material? I implore with women to think about the environmental impact, when they flush something down the toilet. The safest way to think about what you can put down your toilet is the three Ps — pee, paper and poo!

I think it should as important to have ads on tv to remind people on such, as it is for ads about road safety reminders. So spread the word if you can... especially to working class people!

And a few have already come up with some good solutions to disposing of the "period" stuff:
    Bredabe wrote: »
    Roll up the pad so it sticks to itself as it's designed, put into a big used envelope and put somewhere discreet, at the end of the day it goes in the general waste bin. Same procedure for tampons, tho they can be put into its own plaster wrapper if you are careful ripping it opening. Never had any problems with smells or discovery.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

SpitItOut wrote: »
    Are women the main reason behind work of what waste water treatment plants do? I am pleadin with women to think about the potential end result, when they flush something down the toilet.

I think it should as important to have ads on tv to remind people of such, as is done for road safety reminders.

Thanks

What are you even on about??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭SpitItOut

jonnycivic wrote: »
    What are you even on about??
    u're not too bright ay?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Do you mean 'flushable' baby wipes or sanitary products? I'm sure men flush a lot of stuff down the toilet too that shouldn't be flushed, like condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

They should pay higher taxes. They're destroying the fish too!

http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/03/31/americas-fish-contraceptives/

biZrb wrote: »
    Do you mean 'flushable' baby wipes or sanitary products? I'm sure men flush a lot of stuff down the toilet too that shouldn't be flushed, like condoms.
    How often does the average man have sex, in comparison to how often the average woman takes off make-up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Joan Burton - I'd flush her down the toilet

The one thing nearly every woman has in common. Make-up. Not everyone has a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

As a woman - i think its really disgusting. There is pretty much ALWAYS a bin in a cubicle you can use to dispose of tampons/pads.

Lots of people seem to think its ok to flush tampons which blows my mind.

begbysback wrote: »
    Joan Burton - I'd flush her down the toilet
    At least she's not a gangster, like Mary Lou Mac.

Mary Lou is kinda like Dexter in a way... living two lives!

How often does the average man have sex, in comparison to how often the average woman takes off make-up?
    :confused:

Op you need to explain what the hell you are on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

bear1 wrote:
    Another well thought out, debatable thread.
    So you are, somehow, implying that we have a waste problem cause of what women potentially flush down the toilet?
    Do you have any stats or links that categorically show that women flushing tampons or sanitary towels down the toilet are causing issues further down the line?
    Wait, are you saying women *do* flush tampons and sanitary towels down the toilet but you refuse to accept that that is a problem until you see statistics?

Edit : Where did that post I'm quoting go... Flushed! Like a babywipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

The one thing nearly every woman has in common. Make-up. Not everyone has a baby.

Many/most women use baby wipes though, regardless of whether or not they have a baby.

Most know better than to flush the wipes down the toilet, however!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Are women the main reason behind work of what waste water treatment plants do with non biodegradable material? I am pleading with women to think about the potential end result, when they flush something down the toilet.

I think it should as important to have ads on tv to remind people of such, as is done for road safety reminders.

Thanks

They're brutal , I was fixing a blocked sewer one day and asked the girl's in the house to avoid flushing for an hour till we got sorted . 5 mins later we heard the flush , turd and a rake of toilet paper out but on top of us !
    Baby wipes just don't work in a sewer either but women don't believe that

Banjo wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying women *do* flush tampons and sanitary towels down the toilet but you refuse to accept that that is a problem until you see statistics?
    I haven't refused. Hence the thread.

Lots of things are flushed down the toilet that shouldn't be; sanitary products, baby/face wipes, condoms.
    People also poor oil down the sink which hardens in pipes, clings to baby/face wipes and causes blockages.

Woman aren't the sole reason for this OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Most women don't use baby wipes do they? I use facewash. They're not good for your skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The most destructive thing going down the toilets currently is the "waste" from The Pill. The oestrogen/hormones is our water is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Haven't worn make up since I was forced to in the '90's, didnt flush my cleanser then, I use cleaning wipes now when im in a rush to clean up, but they belong in the bin.

So prob fewer women than you think flushing make up remover.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I haven't refused. Hence the thread.

Sorry, was talking to someone else - The post I was responding to has since disappeared, but like a sanitary towel down the Boards u-bend you can never be truly rid of it.
    Used to live in a house at the end of a row, where the pipe met the main line. Nappies from 6 houses up were the worst culprit for blocking our pipe. In many ways I was as much in awe of the power of their flush as I was disgusted by their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If it screwed up their own plumbing I wouldn't mind. It would be good if there was some kind of filter that made it directly their problem rather than a public one. One hefty call-out charge would be enough to change behaviour across the board.

Both genders can be guilty.

• Advertisement

Lots of things are flushed down the toilet that shouldn't be; sanitary products, baby/face wipes, condoms.
    People also poor oil down the sink which hardens in pipes, clings to baby/face wipes and causes blockages.

Woman aren't the sole reason for this OP.
    I'm not worried about the pipes, but the environment! Duh!

At a wild guess, women with their high maintenance bathroom habits are likely the main culprits. And all you're left with to say, is condoms.

I think it best if you just stuck with the biting one liners.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Most women don't use baby wipes do they? I use facewash. They're not good for your skin

I have never used a babywipe in my life. I dont know any female friend who does except the ones who have babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I have to agree that there are lavish amount of toilet paper some ppl use and flush,
    But dont(most) young women know they cant flush sanitary products,
    When it was an issue for me, it was ok to flush, but im well aware that's long gone now.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

:confused:

Op you need to explain what the hell you are on about.
    Beware of this poster. A troll looking for attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Not even for make-up though (although I do use them for that, even knowing I shouldn't.) Just for stuff in general. Isn't it just handy to have a pack of wipes in the kitchen, the bathroom, the car etc. Especially the car, actually.

I'd have always bought them in bulk even long before I had a child!

Not even for make-up though (although I do use them for that, even knowing I shouldn't.) Just for stuff in general. Isn't it just handy to have a pack of wipes in the kitchen, the bathroom, the car etc. Especially the car, actually.

I'd have always bought them in bulk even long before I had a child!

I dont use them but i would assume people know they are not flushable.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I use cleaning wipes now when im in a rush to clean up, but they belong in the bin.
    No one is disputing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I've taken make up off with dettol surface wipes before. Didn't flush them down the toilet though!

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I often see people doing this - little bags of rubbish and squashing them into public bins.

Get a grip.

Advertisement