Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What women flush down the toilet!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Bredabe

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well you're an outlier, as you can see by walking down the street and seeing the majority of women wear makeup
    I have to disagree with you on that, most of the women I know, wear as little makeup as they can get away with, which on their downtime, not a scrap at all.
    So that would account for less than half of the cleansing items flushed. Tho you may find this interesting, my friend flushes her dog turds down the loo, usually wrapped in kitchen paper, as she has received fine's for putting it in her bin and the on street litter.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I only flush me own gik, and chickens down the jax, you's are all mad

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bullocks wrote: »
    They're brutal , I was fixing a blocked sewer one day and asked the girl's in the house to avoid flushing for an hour till we got sorted . 5 mins later we heard the flush , turd and a rake of toilet paper out but on top of us !
    Baby wipes just don't work in a sewer either but women don't believe that

I feel your pain, sewer system was blocked behind my gaff.

I opened the lid and saw amongst an array of turds the whole pipe system was clogged by wet wipes.

At least an hour working with sewer rods I got rid of the blockage but the load that followed it defied description.

Included tampons, rubbers, even an empty rat trap!

Luckily the responsible parties got the message and went around slightly sheepish for a few days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wet wipes are terrible in environmental terms. They'll take ages to break down and cause blockages know as "fatbergs" in sewers & pipes. They're being found washed up on beaches and rivers.

They're actually one thing I'd be in favour of banning straight away. Convenience is no excuse for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/20/the-eco-guide-to-wet-wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

We take so much for granted and go about our business every day in ignorance to the fact that so much good work is been done by the guys behind the scenes dealing with our crap .the fact is 90% of the people who put it down the toilet would empty their stomach if they lifted a blocked man hole cover .
    Out of sight out of mind comes to thought .
    It's bad enough living with a private septic tank and freeing your your family's left overs .
    It's has caused many the argument in many the home , what you put in , much come out ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Please people stop flushing baby wipes down the toilet! They cause awful blockages. They are a surge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭SpitItOut

Please people stop flushing baby wipes down the toilet! They cause awful blockages. They are a surge.
    Ah yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

....... wrote: »

Oh, well I'd rinse all those out and just bring them out to the recycling bin, so it more than suffices for other purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Could you not carry the shampoo bottles to the recycling bin? Your excuse is hardly a legitimate one for not having a bin.

You dont need to change the bin every time you put a tampon or pad into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

dudara wrote: »
    Wet wipes are terrible in environmental terms. They'll take ages to break down and cause blockages know as "fatbergs" in sewers & pipes. They're being found washed up on beaches and rivers.

They're actually one thing I'd be in favour of banning straight away. Convenience is no excuse for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/20/the-eco-guide-to-wet-wipes

microbeads also need to be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

No-one's telling you what to do! Just getting around the issue you raised about disposing of sanitary products in the bathroom bin. In my opinion it's a lot easier to rinse and remove a shampoo bottle every month or so than take a tampon out to the outside bin several times a day, once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

SpitItOut wrote: »
    Are women the main reason behind work of what waste water treatment plants do with non biodegradable material? I implore with women to think about the environmental impact, when they flush something down the toilet. The safest way to think about what you can put down your toilet is the three Ps — pee, paper and poo!

I think it should as important to have ads on tv to remind people on such, as it is for ads about road safety reminders. So spread the word if you can... especially to working class people!

And a few have already come up with some good solutions to disposing of the "period" stuff:

Thanks

Ah now Posh people have just as many periods as the working class

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Aaaah heeeyurr ...!!!! my stomach is turning reading this .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭SpitItOut

Aaaah heeeyurr ...!!!! my stomach is turning reading this .
    ah yeah

Advertisement