Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Boards.ie complicit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dav3 wrote: »
    People calling out other people who haven't even posted in a thread is cowardly. It's goading, it's baiting, it's harassment

Good to see that you agree that the person calling out Wibbs was very cowardly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Holy moly, you're a Fianna Failer!
    Edit, and maybe a Catholic too.
    Nope on the first one in a big way. None of the Irish political parties interest me TBH, many cheeks of the same arse. When I vote I tend to vote "local" and by candidate. Background wise I'd have Catholic and CofI, but am 100% agnostic, though don't have the hate hard on for religion that some have. If gun to my head I had to pick one of the Christian sects, I'd probably vote for Catholic though(wider European sort, rather than the rain soaked dour Irish sort). It's proven itself adaptable over time, unlike the harder line Protestant stuff. Generally far better art, music, philosophy and science too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 sebastian zoe

Boards of a feather flock together, the site is one big clique, you do not allow new members here who do not agree with the viewpoint of the clique.
    Certain subjects are sacred cows, there can be no debate about them, the mods have decided they and the clique are 100% correct and no alternative opinion will be allowed.
    You all know this to be true but won’t do anything about it, hence the dwindling popularity of the site.

Observe as i get banned for this innocuous but truthful post

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Omackeral wrote: »
    Good to see that you agree that the person calling out Wibbs was very cowardly.
    Ah I dunno O. No issue at my end anyway. I've been called worse. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wonder is OP the same Terry who was a very prominent poster and used to post under a username beginning with J...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

fullstop wrote: »
    Wonder is OP the same Terry who was a very prominent poster and used to post under a username beginning with J...

JC remember that poster, just when you said J they came to mind...

I had great laugh's when they were debating, definitely a comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boards of a feather flock together, the site is one big clique, you do not allow new members here who do not agree with the viewpoint of the clique.
    Certain subjects are sacred cows, there can be no debate about them, the mods have decided they and the clique are 100% correct and no alternative opinion will be allowed.
    You all know this to be true but won’t do anything about it, hence the dwindling popularity of the site.

tenor.gif?itemid=9285159

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope on the first one in a big way. None of the Irish political parties interest me TBH, many cheeks of the same arse. When I vote I tend to vote "local" and by candidate. Background wise I'd have Catholic and CofI, but am 100% agnostic, though don't have the hate hard on for religion that some have. If gun to my head I had to pick one of the Christian sects, I'd probably vote for Catholic though(wider European sort, rather than the rain soaked dour Irish sort). It's proven itself adaptable over time, unlike the harder line Protestant stuff. Generally far better art, music, philosophy and science too.

I was only joking, should have put in a smiley.
    I m not aware of your posting history at all.

I just stay out of politics religion and sociology, as much as I can unless I have my fact's absolutely right.

Trying not to use my emotions and mix it up with opinions then I'm liable for the dungeon.

It's not easy sometimes but it's good to be able to have self control, survival of the fittest and all that...

My new CEO suggested working smarter is better than working harder, it set a seed in me...

• Advertisement

I was only joking, should have put in a smiley.
    Well when you go around accusing people of being Fianna Faillers. :eek::D
    I m not aware of your posting history at all.
    Long winded bollocks pretty much covers it F.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Well when you go around accusing people of being Fianna Faillers. :eek::D

Long winded bollocks pretty much covers it F.

To a T. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just dropped in to boast about keeping the same account for 12 and a half years. o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

fullstop wrote: »
    Don't think so. That Terry's political views were very different to Very's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I've had numerous accounts because I like new account smell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Received some strange pms from the OP last night :pac:

Defo on the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm still an original. I'll have to reinvent myself soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just dropped in to boast about keeping the same account for 12 and a half years. o/

Pssh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Didn't take you long to come back. If it's so bad, why are you even bothering to pop in to read it?

I doubt the ban will be for the post per se, but more likely for posting.

Defo on the sauce.

I think they've dissapeared...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Defo on the sauce.
    As long as they didn't contain pics ........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You'll not get banned for the above. Not even close:pac:

We all know forums ruined by mods. The thing is every one of us will have different opinions as to which forums that accusation applies. :D

On the whole boards is a great resource. You just need to understand its limitations and enjoy what you can. It will never be reshaped in the image you desire.

Kivaro wrote: »
    As long as they didn't contain pics ........

No pics thankfully, just accusations of being complicit in terrorist attacks.

Yes, all the mods got together a while back, at my gaff as it happens for a coke and hookers party, and we all decided this. Then we all said that we’d enforce it on you. Just you. For the LOLs.

Get a grip man. There’s no conspiracy. You’ve definitely given a new meaning to the adjective “truthful”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

**[Translation]** Change and feedback that suits you. The site has had many changes and the vast bulk of them came from feedback from the users. Just because you don't like some of them, doesn't negate that. Though down the years I've noted both as a user and a mod of a few forums, no matter what direction you take you will never please a small cohort of people, even if you accede to their feedback and change things to their way.

It's the people at the very top of the food chain who will be held accountable if something happens and is traced back here, not you. When you see the same language used by the far-right terrorist in New Zealand being used on here, then people will obviously shining a giant spotlight on boards.ie and the people in charge.

You can demand that the 4 lads with 100 accounts constantly be given a platform to put forward their far-right rhetoric at any opportunity, and perhaps you're right. But there is no "right" to free speech on this website. These people's flawed opinions can be easily countered, and when they end up banned and re-reg they can be countered again, that's no problem. The real issue is when they close their browser window and continue to absorb hours of far-right propaganda, you can't control that.

There are a few current issues that have simple fixes.

The continual sensationalising of stories and the editorialisation of headlines and the manipulation of them to fit an agenda can be controlled by moderation.

The lack of moderation on any video, especially youtube videos hosted on far-right channels being posted, is an issue. While it may appear a fairly inconspicuous 19 hour long video on the destruction of Ireland and the white race. There is a far more sinister reason for the same handful of people posting these videos. There is more to it than trying to radicalise people with the video, the idea is to manipulate the youtube algorithm. Someone innocently clicking on the link will be bombarded with "similar" videos after viewing the video in question. This they hope makes the problem appear far worse than it actually is. Allowing videos only from known or acceptable sources is an easy fix.

A lot of the people running this website are open to change, there are still a tiny number who are not. For the people who know about these issues and do not deal with them, it does make them complicit.

As the saying goes. A lot done, more to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The best forums are Running/Beer/Food/Films

The rest are essentially a headache and should be closed down immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tacklebox wrote: »
    JC remember that poster, just when you said J they came to mind...

I had great laugh's when they were debating, definitely a comedian.

I think we’re thinking of different posters. The one I’m talking about was a mod in AH back in the mid-late noughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wait, did he really get banned for this? :eek::confused:

Or did he post this and a whole load of private messages, with the ban being incurred for the private messages? A bit of clarity would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

RasTa wrote: »
    The best forums are Running/Beer/Food/Films

The rest are essentially a headache and should be closed down immediately

Basically closing down the forums you aren’t interested in? Not sure of the business case there.

Also I’d definitely keep the weather forum were there a cull.

Wait, did he really get banned for this? :eek::confused:

Or did he post this and a whole load of private messages, with the ban being incurred for the private messages? A bit of clarity would go a long way.

He did not get banned for that post. He got banned because he is a serial re-regger who has been banned numerous times, yet doesn’t seem to understand why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

VeryTerry wrote: »
    You might be right.

Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account

Anyway it's a troll fest these days and I'm out.

eeeeerm

never changed my account why bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Nulu5

I've always been a leftie, even far leftie tbh (check my posting history as far back as the late 2000s if ye want evidence) but I completely and totally agree with this statement. The alt-left as I like to call it, or the SJW-left as it's often described, adopted an extremely toxic "you either agree with us 100% or you're a worthless subhuman piece of sh!t" attitude towards political opposition, and the utter intolerance of dissent is so infuriatingly arrogant that many former lefties I know now identify as conservative. To take one ludicrous example, in the 1990s and the 2000s, the left advocated for unfettered free speech while the right opposed it on religions / family / sexual morality grounds, and since the early 2010s, this has flipped around entirely, with the left now supporting large scale censorship and promoting the idea that "wrongthink" is an actual thing that exists and should be punished, while the right now cries for freedom of expression as they are currently the ones being denied it.

I've probably posted this anecdote too often, but I predicted the victory of both Brexit and Trump long before either was taken seriously as a realistic possibility by the media (we're talking Autumn 2015 or even earlier) - solely on the grounds that the mainstream left had no actual positive arguments in favour of either Remain or Clinton respectively, it was just "do what we tell you, or it means you're a geriatric, racist, uneducated, ignorant and worthless human being". In my view, nothing exemplified how much the mainstream left lost touch with political freedom than all the commentary on social media the day after Brexit passed, blaming the Boomer generation and actually suggesting that "there should be an upper age limit to vote in referenda because old people won't live long enough to suffer the consequences" and other such vile "we lost and didn't have a majority, so let's change the rules to make sure we win next time even if we still don't have a majority" bullsh!t.

It really saddens me that this is how everything has ended up. I hate the fact that I have to come across as constantly taking the side of the alt-right just because it's become so unthinkable to suggest that they are entitled to set out their stall and express their political beliefs without consequence or persecution, just like everyone else. That should be an extremely basic tenet of a democratic society, not a controversial notion which results in drama and accusations of actually supporting the views one merely defends the right of others to hold.

The funny thing is, this is often dismissed as "ah you're just getting more conservative as you're getting older" but it's not the case, as the content of my (and other lefties in a similar position) beliefs hasn't actually changed at all. The only thing that's changed is the political alignment of those views - what used to be endorsed by the left and attacked by the right is now attacked by the left and endorsed by the right. And that's bizarre.

You hit the nail on the head about the left calling for censorship.

Some recent examples of this.

A/ Graham linehan is invited onto Rte prime time to talk in a segment about Trans issues a twitter mob starts a campaign to try pressure Rte into cancelling his appearance, the twitter mob thankfully failed.

B/ The Irexit party holding public meetings in different venues across the country. Once again a twitter mob starts up and starts a campaign to try pressure into cancelling their meetings, the twitter mob thankfully failed.

C/ And now recently with Gemma O Doherty starting to hold public meetings there,s also a twitter mob trying to pressure venues into cancelling her meetings. according to some tweets one venue has caved into the twitter mob. regardless if people agree or disagree with her she has a following and an audience as evidence by the attendance at her meeting last monday. In my view it is anti democratic to try to prevent the freedom of assembly of people you politically disagree with, wait till the Q and A session and put tough hard questions to her instead of trying to silence her.

Part of the reason I believe Peter Casey got such a large % of the vote is a lot of people are just sick and tired of political correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Kivaro wrote: »
    I do not believe that the thread was created to have a go at Wibbs. To me it smacked of an extremist on the left trying to lay some blame on Boards.ie for what happened in New Zealand.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title. Yuck.

Zorya wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title. Yuck.

There are posters on Twitter and youtube calling for a ban on the song fire by Arthur Brown, apparently it is now the new anthem of the far right.

Strange people.

Boards.ie is actually a site with a very small number of these "far right" posters. I mean really, what other big general purpose social sites have even fewer?

It's just cases of confirmation bias for the people who think there's an epidemic. Yesterday, someone complained that after 164 posts in a thread, and literally one of those being far right, that there was some sort of invasion. 1/164. Sure there are posters, but as a percentage, it's honestly very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

'It doesn't matter
    if you're left or to the right.
    Don't try to hide behind the cause
    for what you fight.'

The whole left/right debate is awfully tedious at this stage.

I've had what you may call heated debates with some on here because I didn't agree with their particular stance on something. Which is natural.

I didn't agree and I may even find your opinion to be a bit daft, but I respect it still. It's your own take on something.

I would consider myself centrist I guess and I can see the plus and minus in the left/right ideologies.

But really at the end of the day I'm far more concerned with how decent a human being you are. In real life I've met and had dealings with people who were moral crusaders and 'upstanding' and they turned out to be total wastes.

People have different opinions because people are different. Debate away and be frank but show some respect and for the love of God, don't take things to heart and become obsessed with one up man ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There seems to be an assumption by many that Boards is only After Hours and that most people post from a left or right political stance. Strangely neither left nor right appear too often in the Nature, Consumer Affairs, TV, Gardening, Angling, Weather, Motoring, Music or Horse Racing Forums, to name just a few. It may be among the busiest forums but Boards is much more that this one forum. In addition, many posters in AH are involved in threads where political ideology is both irrelevant and absent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Some of us have been here for over a decade under various usernames. Personally I was here for the Phantom fm sub forum, some were here for Quake or whatever.

Now it's full of reregs and extremists. It's a done duck as far as I can see. Full of people on the wind up.

Try subbing to forums other than After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

There seems to be an assumption by many that Boards is only After Hours and that most people post from a left or right political stance. Strangely neither left nor right appear too often in the Nature, Consumer Affairs, TV, Gardening, Angling, Weather, Motoring, Music or Horse Racing Forums, to name just a few. It may be among the busiest forums but Boards is much more that this one forum. In addition, many posters in AH are involved in threads where political ideology is both irrelevant and absent.

Heh, yes, I like to balance out my extreme uber nazism by keeping current with the Fart thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭Feisar

I'm on my second account, I had dropped out of boards for a while and had forgotten my password. Sent an email on the subject but received no response so I created a new account. I wasn't and currently ain't a big personality here so it doesn't really matter.

In terms of this place:

I'd like to see a situation where boards wasn't liable for what posters say.
    The way people consume media is changing however there will always be a place for forums, just their slice of the pie will be smaller
    Anonymity turns some people into arseholes, there's no fixing that.

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭Feisar

mrcheez wrote: »
    Try subbing to forums other than After Hours

Sometimes I go to the farming forum just for the craic!

First they came for the socialists...

In pretty sick of the left and right thing as well. I'm very left on pretty much everything from LGBT to welfare to which side of the bed I sleep on.

But I think the left themselves are becoming a huge social issue, just like a classic one. Also one that impacts my life more than others right now both in media and some conflicts with friends. I generally have a dislike of the more vocal left while liking regular right, centre, and regular left, for whatever those words are really worth. People are more complex than the directions you'd give to an interior designer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dudara wrote: »
    Yes, all the mods got together a while back, at my gaff as it happens for a coke and hookers party,

Enjoyable night as well! :3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Nulu5 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head about the left calling for censorship.

Some recent examples of this.

A/ Graham linehan is invited onto Rte prime time to talk in a segment about Trans issues a twitter mob starts a campaign to try pressure Rte into cancelling his appearance, the twitter mob thankfully failed.

B/ The Irexit party holding public meetings in different venues across the country. Once again a twitter mob starts up and starts a campaign to try pressure into cancelling their meetings, the twitter mob thankfully failed.

C/ And now recently with Gemma O Doherty starting to hold public meetings there,s also a twitter mob trying to pressure venues into cancelling her meetings. according to some tweets one venue has caved into the twitter mob. regardless if people agree or disagree with her she has a following and an audience as evidence by the attendance at her meeting last monday. In my view it is anti democratic to try to prevent the freedom of assembly of people you politically disagree with, wait till the Q and A session and put tough hard questions to her instead of trying to silence her.

Part of the reason I believe Peter Casey got such a large % of the vote is a lot of people are just sick and tired of political correctness.

Agree 100%. "No platforming" is the term for the phenomenon to which you refer, it's toxic, it's quite frankly a cancer on the left and yet a frightening number of lefties are on board with it these days.

My ex girlfriend is vehemently pro-life, and some of the stories she told me about during the campaign involving hotels, pubs, venues, essentially anywhere with a function room, getting barraged by bad reviews and threats from the Twitteratti in order to pressure them into not holding the event. One event had to be re-located no less than four times after each hotel they booked and advertised the event as being held in, was subjected to a Facebook harassment campaign. Former best friends of hers also refuse to talk to her anymore - she as a person is effectively being "boycotted" for holding certain political beliefs. It's absolutely horrendous.

I always used to expect this kind of sh!t from the right wing because they were the ones pushing for censorship during most of the 2000s, but dammit I expect and demand better from my own side of the political aisle. The very reason I'm a leftie is because I despised right wing authoritarianism growing up, and as far as I'm concerned, the words "liberal" and "authoritarian" don't belong in the same sentence. These people are absolutely no better than the right-authoritarians they claim to oppose - there's no such thing as a morally right or wrong opinion in politics, but certain actions are objectively wrong as agreed by civilised society over a long period of time, and those actions do not become ok depending on which side someone is on while partaking in them. Disrupting the ability of the opposition to present their platform in a fair manner is one of those things, and targeting a person's personal life is another.

None of this should need to be said. It's incredibly depressing that it has become so in just a few short years.

I read somewhere that boards.ie could be run off a smart phone it's so small.

It's a simple site, very easily accessible and not hard to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Necro wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I am, see no need to change.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out though.

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Wibbs will be along in a minute for a long winded lecture about how his culture is superior to others and everyone will seal clap along like little *****.

Hey! You leave Wibbs alone. He’s A OK in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Same here. I just don't get the re reg thing. Years ago I was banned from a forum here where I posted a lot. I had no thoughts of re registering. I thought the "disciplinary" procedure was a joke but I couldn't be arsed to bypass the system - they would miss me more than I missed them :D

It did teach me one thing that hasn't changed in all the following years. Boards won't change except for trying to force horrible site changes on us :pac: But Boards is gradually dying as people gradually move to sites that only support their opinion. People want confirmation & not debate. We are steadily moving towards extremes.

Complicit in what? If you don't like it here, stay away. On my first & only account, including a seven year break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

You might be right.

Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account

Anyway it's a troll fest these days and I'm out.

This is my one and only. Ive never seen the need to rereg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

mad muffin wrote: »
    This is my one and only. Ive never seen the need to rereg.

Same here, After Hours is depressing though, the number of extreme right types posting here saddens me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement