Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

will swap for a broken ps2 and a bucket of ceiling paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rubadub wrote: »
    :) I always wondered the same, I can only think they mean a cheque but I doubt anyone has ever accepted a cheque on a private sale like that.

Sometimes its not just regular cash though, its cold hard cash. None of this warm & soft shite.

I had a guy turned up one day who asked me if there was any chance I could take card.

Adverts never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

A cupboard for giveaway, as the space is needed.

Still available?
    Yes, can be collected any time after 18:00
    Cool, so can I pick it up at 13:00?

Will you reserve it for me until next month, when a friend might have a van available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Another one I love is something like;

Car - €3000

Give ya €2000 pending inspection

Too low an offer

But thats all I got to spend............

As if the response should be, "oh really, sorry to hear that. Ok so, sure whatever you can cobble together, I'll take that for it!" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

My granny bought a small fridge for her kitchen last year then changed her mind because it was too small. She used it for about a week so we didn't even bother trying to bring it back or change it.

Anyway it cost €200 new and I stuck it up for €120. I had the receipt and all which showed it was only recently bought and on inspection you would have saw that it was next to new.

Some guy mad an offer of €60, which wasn't terrible I suppose, I asked him to go higher and he said no so I checked his profile and comments, turns out he had a load of fridges and the like for sale in his ads, also loads of comments low balling offers for other fridges and such, clearly selling them on then for a lot more than he was buying. Fair enough I suppose but I thought feck that, I'd prefer to sell it to someone who would get use out of it. Called him out on it and he just said "I made an offer, you don't have to take it, your the one the pissing away money by buying the wrong fridge to start with. A SIMPLE NO WOULD HAVE DONE". Made me lol, so I just replied and told him good luck with his own buying and selling.

Ended up letting it go for €90 in the end.

Point is, plenty of low ballers who will try to sell it on themselves for more. I'd much prefer to sell it to someone I knew was going to get use out of what I was selling rather than trying to make a quick buck.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

chops018 wrote: »
    My granny bought a small fridge for her kitchen last year then changed her mind because it was too small. She used it for about a week so we didn't even bother trying to bring it back or change it.

Anyway it cost €200 new and I stuck it up for €120. I had to receipt and all which showed it was only recently bought and on inspection you would have saw that it was next to new.

Some guy mad an offer of €60, which wasn't terrible I suppose, I asked him to go higher and he said no so I checked his profile and comments, turns out he had a load of fridges and the like for sale in his ads, also loads of comments low balling offers for other fridges and such, clearly selling them on then for a lot more than he was buying. Fair enough I suppose but I thought feck that,, I'd prefer to sell it to someone who would get use out of it. Called him out on it and he just said "I made offer you Don,t have to take it, your the one the pissing away money by buying the wrong fridge to start with. A SIMPLE NO WOULD HAVE DONE". Made me lol, so I just replied and told him good luck with his own buying and selling.

Ended up letting it go for €90 in the end.

Point is, plenty of low ballers who will try to sell it on themselves for more. I'd much prefer to sell it to someone I knew was going to get use out of what I was selling rather than trying to make a quick buck.

will swap the fridge for a broken lawnmower

Another joke is the wanted section.

A few years ago I was doing the FE1's and I put up a wanted ad that I was looking for second hand Griffith College Manuals for these exams. I specifically stated in the ad that they had to be from Griffith and that they had to be the originals (as loads of people were just photocopying them and selling them on).

I got this, typical Adverts.ie, response to the ad:

"Hi there I have copies of Independent Colleges manuals for Constitutional, Tort and EU from March 2012 for EU and Constitutional and Oct 2011 for Tort, with accompanying exam reports. I'm selling them for 50 each but could do 135 for the 3? PM me if you're interested!"

To which I responded:

"Hi there. The ad clearly states that I want Griffith manuals. Also I would only want original manuals and not copies."

I got no reply then, chancers :rolleyes:

There is probably wanted ad's with people looking for an iPhone 5 or something and someone would probably respond like "Alri lad, have a Samsung Galaxy S4 if you're interested. Check my ad. Cheers bud."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gave away plenty of free items and buy stuff on it. Generally ok except for one incident a while back

Advertise free item for collection. First person wants me to deliver. F off, I said collection only. Second person to ask. Accept and give the exact address. Immediately get a PM asking am I never near x coz that would be easier. I say no, do you want it? Yes of course that's fine, I'll pick it up this afternoon. Leave it in the porch because I would be out for the day. Get multiple PMs from the 'buyer' because they can't find the item. Am
    Like wtf did someone rob it from my porch? I've had multiple collections before with no issues.

Arrive home. Item is sitting in the porch in exactly the same place it was when I left. Check PMs. Last PM is 'please won't you deliver, I don't understand why I couldn't find it'. I'm like go away, you clearly didn't even come. Time wasting

Last PM is 'please won't you deliver, I don't understand why I couldn't find it'. I'm like go away, you clearly didn't even come. Time wasting

Some say he's still looking for that item....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Have had better luck with sales on Done Deal, but I have to say I prefer the Adverts setup overall . At least there's a way to vet the auld weirdo on Adverts.

I've had too many bizarre and annoying phone calls or messages or texts on Done Deal and that's just from using my real name on the ad. I don't even have a suggestive first name either :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Actually, I did have an issue with muppets on the TV I was giving away that I mentioned before.

First guy who said he'd collect had 'Transit Van' in his username and this combined with the fact that I said 'you'll need a hatchback for this, it's huge' I assumed he'd show up in the correct vehicle. He and his mate were an hour late and arrived in a mk1 Focus saloon (has small back seats and almost no boot). They were really surprised when I pointed out there wasn't a hope they'd get the TV into the car and even moreso when I said I wasn't willing to help them lug it down 4 flights of stairs to attempt it anyway. One of them then asked if they could take the new TV instead as it would likely fit??? They weren't dodgy or chancers, I really believe the guy was genuinely thick as mud. He also asked if the UPC box or xbox were going free.

They said they'd be back the next day with a van and never showed. I passed it on to the next person who collected it that same evening. I'd completely forgotten about that.

Seriously. Between questions being asked that are idiotic and usually answered in the item description, and ridiculous offers

Yes, there are amadáin on Adverts, but they can be ignored. Wait until you try to sell on DoneDeal! What an entire scam, full of dodgy people - "Jack" the texter being chief among them - with dodgy proposals. An awful, awful place. Avoid.

The major advantage of Adverts over Donedeal is that you can see how other people have rated somebody (and you can check the rater's own record to see that they are genuine). Years ago somebody gave me a bad rating entirely because I gave them a bad rating (they didn't show up and just wasted my time). I contacted Adverts and they obviously looked at my record, saw it was genuine and removed that negative rating. (I suspect they also can read the email PM exchanges and could see he was in the wrong). That sort of judgement call was appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think the problem people have with selling on Adverts.ie is that they think their item is worth far more than anyone would pay for it.

e.g. selling a camera for €100.

I will bid €50

"No way, its worth far more than that. I paid XXX for it."

Who cares what you paid for it pal.....

Do you have a receipt?
    No
    Is it under warranty?
    No
    Is the same item NEW for sale on Amazon for less than you are saying its worth?
    Yes.
    Is the Ad still up four months later because nobody else but the seller thinks it is worth so much.
    Yes.

I do agree that there are some ridiculously long conversations over items selling for €10 or less......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

I take it back.

I mentioned earlier in the thread about a purchaser who bought a chrome towel rad from me, and for her own reasons decided to threaten me with physical intimidation and criminal charges because I refused to take it back.

Yesterday I searched high and low for someone local that could repair a PCB board for a wash machine and found someone 6 miles across the bog road on guess where but Adverts.

He tested it and I'm due to collect Monday with a quote of €50, ebay and uk parts suppliers up to £175stg, Indesit.ie €126 (funnily enough cheaper than ebay etc)

Happy Punter, long live Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah and now I cannot expect anyone to offer more than 350! It should be a sanctionable offense. If you make an offer and don't follow through your account is locked for xxx amount of time, then it would make people think before just low balling and then going "sorry".

Ok i left her neutral feedback. Look what I get in return.

Ffs. What a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Wait, a classified ads website is full of dodgy chancers? :eek:

What is the world coming to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Ditto on people over valuing their items.

I'm always on the hunt for electronics and see countless ads for people selling second hand stuff for new prices.

Yeah you may have paid €800 for that TV last year, but the retail price is now €600, so no use you asking for €700 and getting snotty when I point out that I can buy a new one cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Same om video games consoles. I ended up buying a new 3DS XL new of amazon cheaper then adverts people looking for retail price is nuts ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Same om video games consoles. I ended up buying a new 3DS XL new of amazon cheaper then adverts people looking for retail price is nuts ha ha

What prices were they on both sites?

I bought a 3ds + ds lite + 2 ds games for €60 on adverts the other day. BARGAIN. Im gonna sell them all bar the 3ds and just use my r4i card for old ds games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

MarkY91 wrote: »
    What prices were they on both sites?

I bought a 3ds + ds lite + 2 ds games for €60 on adverts the other day. BARGAIN. Im gonna sell them all bar the 3ds and just use my r4i card for old ds games.

Amazon DE paid 125 euros for a new 3DS XL. People on adverts looking for 200 euros for a 2nd hand one .....

Your one of few bargins there as the person had no clue they where selling a 3DS ha ha. As i have seen the normal 3DS up there for 140 quid with notting at all :O

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Amazon DE paid 125 euros for a new 3DS XL. People on adverts looking for 200 euros for a 2nd hand one .....

Your one of few bargins there as the person had no clue they where selling a 3DS ha ha. As i have seen the normal 3DS up there for 140 quid with notting at all :O

That may not be as clear cut. I remember at one stage older 3ds and 3ds xls were able to attract a premium because they were on an older firmware which could run home brew code and cracked games whereas new ones with the latest firmware couldn't. Not sure if it's the case any more, it certainly was a few years back. It could also down to the people selling them being dopes. Either or. It was the same with the Apple TV2. It could be made run unofficial apps on it whereas the Apple TV3 couldn't so a second hand Apple TV2 cost more than a brand new Apple TV3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive bought and sold quite a bit on it...mixed results...its good for buying.
    But the amount of people,sellers included who wont take paypal is ridiculous

adverts.ie ...listen up!!...Insist on sellers accepting paypal...start charging people a small fee for listsings...it will get rid of the crud of which there is way too much.

I have the opposite as I am a shop, they can pay by paypal or stripe but only want to send a postal order, great but there is going to be a delay until you send it and it gets cashed

I then raise an invoice with their email with all the notifications like processing, shipped etc and get complaints that it was supposed to be a nixer as they sent a postal order

Online nixers with everything traced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Ffs. What a joke!

Report that and they will remove it. Revenge feedback isn't allowed on adverts AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive bought and sold quite a bit on it...mixed results...its good for buying.
    But the amount of people,sellers included who wont take paypal is ridiculous
    You may have been lucky as a business but the amount of people I know who run online business that the exact same thing is happening to them on a regular basis isn't funny.

adverts.ie ...listen up!!...Insist on sellers accepting paypal...start charging people a small fee for listsings...it will get rid of the crud of which there is way too much.

I have the opposite as I am a shop, they can pay by paypal or stripe but only want to send a postal order, great but there is going to be a delay until you send it and it gets cashed

I then raise an invoice with their email with all the notifications like processing, shipped etc and get complaints that it was supposed to be a nixer as they sent a postal order

Online nixers with everything traced?

I will never sell using PayPal again. I'm not a business, just sold 3 things privately. Used PayPal the 3 times. All 3 things were immaculate and sent perfectly. Same thing happened with all 3.
    Too many scammers out there wanting stuff for free.
    They simply say, not as described.
    PayPal gives them their money and they have my items.
    If PayPal want to continue as a viable form of trading it will have to consider a big style review of their practice.
    In essence, I have been robbed and can't do a thing about it.
    And also to say, I have friends who run online business and they are being taken left right and centre with people doing the same thing.
    No one can do business like that. They are all considering dropping paypal, they are losing hand over fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Smidge wrote: »

I will never sell using PayPal again. I'm not a business, just sold 3 things privately. Used PayPal the 3 times. All 3 things were immaculate and sent perfectly. Same thing happened with all 3.
    If PayPal want to continue as a viable form of trading it will have to consider a big style review of their practice.
    And also to say, I have friends who run online business and they are being taken left right and centre with people doing the same thing.
    No one can do business like that. They are all considering dropping paypal, they are losing hand over fist.

I use PayPal to buy and sell on a very regular basis and never had 1 problem with someone getting the money back like that. Probably 100 or so buys and sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Ffs. What a joke!

Retaliatory feedback is not allowed on Adverts. Contact support@adverts.ie and they will remove it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

MarkY91 wrote: »

I use PayPal to buy and sell on a very regular basis and never had 1 problem with someone getting the money back like that. Probably 100 or so buys and sells.

Well all I can say is that it happens FAR too often. Go online and have a quick Google of the amount of people getting done over using it to sell.
    Massive problem. You must be one of the lucky ones, and again it's something I would never use in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I remember see an add for something i wanted to buy. Offered the asking price but turned out it was per item. He was selling three of them.

He only increased the price because they go for more on ebay.

Well, then sell it on ebay.

I reported the add it was removed. A few weeks later they put it back up at the new "ebay" price. It didn't sell, so he reduced again to the original price. Its still up there a few weeks, I'm only seeing if he will reduce the price again for being such a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I often have lots of presentation boxes from whiskey, rum, champagne etc. I'm talking about the really nice display boxes or tins that the bottles come in. In the past, I've put them up for free, to take away, and they're usually gone quickly. No messing ever.

Recently I put up an ad for a Moët Vintage 2006 display box. I marked it very clearly as such, with text in the title and body. Mentioned box only, bottle not included. The amount of people who thought I was giving away a free bottle of champagne, and tried to rip the hand off me? The mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

KKkitty wrote: »
    Are you ever in XXXX when you've specified that it's collection only in your ad.

Those people are the worst!

In fairness to adverts.ie, I have had exactly the same experience when giving stuff away on freecycle.org. Some people either don't read or have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've had to cancel a sale on someone today, (well at 1am last night) and I'm afraid to log back in now cos of receiving some sort of feedback/irate message :p

Shouldn't be allowed on these sites when your in a bad mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I've had to cancel a sale on someone today, (well at 1am last night) and I'm afraid to log back in now cos of receiving some sort of feedback/irate message :p

Shouldn't be allowed on these sites when your in a bad mood.

Unreasonable feedback can and does get removed if you report it.

Unreasonable feedback can and does get removed if you report it.

Nothing the poster said suggested negative feedback wouldn't be warranted in this case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Were you using Ebay?...Or some other contractual site to sell on?

I once received an item "not as described"..it was an MP3 player a few years back.
    The guy i bought it off in China went quiet and that really pi**ed me off.
    Ebay said the only way they could get my money back was if I returned the item to him using registered mail...i did just that at great expense to myself (i was really miffed because he ceased communication once i told him the unit was dead on arrival).
    Anyway...long story short i got my money back but only once he had signed for the returned package.
    Sounds to me like you didnt get anything back?
    Marty.

I've bought and sold with Paypal for years but yeah, you do hear plenty of stories where they'll side with the buyer no questions asked. I often wonder do they compare transaction history, like if you have a seller with immaculate records and then a buyer who claims back every purchase is that taken into account when settling a dispute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What I think is a shame is how the free ads section is over-run by professional scavengers.

We've regularly put stuff up for free and occasionally picked up some freebies ourselves but the last few things we listed were all collected by guys in vans who were clearly planning to flog what we'd given them at some market or other at the weekend.

Sleepy wrote: »
    What I think is a shame is how the free ads section is over-run by professional scavengers.

We've regularly put stuff up for free and occasionally picked up some freebies ourselves but the last few things we listed were all collected by guys in vans who were clearly planning to flog what we'd given them at some market or other at the weekend.

For free stuff if I'm in nor hurry to get rid I'll pick people who don't have 1000 comments in the free section, and who've put more effort into the post than 'me pls'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Or put it up for sale for a small amount and just give it to whoever wants it when they come to collect !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dudara wrote: »
    Recently I put up an ad for a Moët Vintage 2006 display box.

Will swap for 3 limited edition cans of 7 up.

Just the cans though, I drank the contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

smash wrote: »
    Will swap for 3 limited edition cans of 7 up.

Just the cans though, I drank the contents.

Are they unoopened?
    If yes - Swap you for anything in my adds. ie a withered daisy picked from my garden last spring.

• Advertisement

Menas wrote: »
    Are they unoopened?
    If yes - Swap you for anything in my adds. ie a withered daisy picked from my garden last spring.
    Opened.
    Will swap for two daisies. Possibly 1 Tulip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Opened.

Opened - ok - not what I was expecting? You throw in €15 and we have a deal.
    Can you deliver to Skibbereen?

Menas wrote: »
    Opened - ok - not what I was expecting? You throw in €15 and we have a deal.
    Can you deliver to Skibbereen?
    Feck off.

/Writes bad review...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Opened.

I've just seen 3 non limited edition opened cans on ebay for 1 daisy.

I'll give you 1 daisy for yours when can you deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Never had problems selling on adverts. My beef is actually with sellers themselves. The ones who can't be bothered to conclude the sale. Oh, I'm rarely on here. Oh, I've no internet so didn’t see your offer. Oh, I've had it on hold for your lad so kept everyone hanging there even if they were offering asking price.
    Recently had my day, birthday present plan and my health ruined by such seller. Offered what he wanted and saw him on adverts but no reply. Asked if item still available and saw him logging in. Guess - no response. Asked again and some time later, finally, getting response that it is. Will you take my money then and I will drive for 2 hrs to collect it? Yeah, make me an offer. Telling him that I already did yesterday, him accepting, going through motions of sending my fecking thanks and pm'ing and sending another message telling that I pm'd only for him to disappear again for half a fecking day! Then at dawn he calls and says - yeah, are you coming? Coming WHERE?!
    Oh, I can ship it to you tomorrow but I need PayPal payment first.
    Sure...
    Now I'm waiting on another one to grace adverts with his appearance...

Is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Is it just me?

I'm afraid so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

;)
    Nothing the poster said suggested negative feedback wouldn't be warranted in this case!

Of course, it has to be explained why its unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

my health ruined by such

How can you have your health ruined by a spanner on adverts?

Shannon757 wrote:
    I'm afraid so.

Please discuss.

Paulzx wrote:
    How can you have your health ruined by a spanner on adverts?

Was wondering myself. Blood pressure, shortness of breath, couldn't sleep until 3am, indigestion and other stuff I will not be describing here. I guess some of us are just too sensitive to any kind of injustice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement