Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie complicit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Wibbs is my spirit animal. If I didn't know better, I'd assume he's my sober self posting.

Yeah, but he's slightly too sober.

Where's the wild and free Wibbs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Plastic Age

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Some of us have been here for over a decade under various usernames. Personally I was here for the Phantom fm sub forum, some were here for Quake or whatever.

Now it's full of reregs and extremists. It's a done duck as far as I can see. Full of people on the wind up.
    Well if facebook is considered for old people these days, then does that mean that boards is for really old people?!

I presume there's not many under 30 on boards. I also presume most are male.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Plastic Age

Omackeral wrote: »
    Then leave. Plenty of other places to go that might suit you better.
    Where? Boards gets a lot of traffic. I don't think such other places get such a high amount of traffic. A lot of people here seem to be from abroad also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wibbs will be along in a minute for a long winded lecture about how his culture is superior to others and everyone will seal clap along like little *****.

Did someone dare to disagree with you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

This is a good example of how boards is complicit. Notice the team work between the mods before the thread got taken down. And notice the team work between the mods looking for an excuse to take it down since no one else was having a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account
    Hard to tell the newbies from the reregs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Quote: VeryTerry
    Yeah, over the last almost 20 years I've had a few accounts. No one is still on their first account

jmcc wrote: »
    Hard to tell the newbies from the reregs. :)

Still on my first account... when you have nothing to hide it’s not an issue.. If you don’t want it out there then don’t put it out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Boards is like a box of chocolates...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

gogo wrote: »
    Quote: VeryTerry

Still on my first account... when you have nothing to hide it’s not an issue.. If you don’t want it out there then don’t put it out there..

I haven't changed & see no need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Well if facebook is considered for old people these days, then does that mean that boards is for really old people?!

I presume there's not many under 30 on boards. I also presume most are male.

Check back when a storm approaches, over 5000 at a time keeping an eye on the weather forum. Boards is one of the last, enduring strong forums around - given it's a community, not just a business (atleast I hope the new owners see it's true worth).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

kippy wrote: »
    You must be a rereg yourself.
    Nov 2018?

Boards is what you make it.
    agreed :)

...since we are what make up the success, failure and content of boards, the more we make of it, the better it can only get (regardless of re-reg or original status, op.) Whining about good old days and complaining about bad new days is futile, when we are the ones solely responsible to contribute what content we wish and/or change directions - up to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Discodog wrote: »

Wonder would your (or anyones) 12,413 or so posts, have any value to a FMCG marketing conglomerate, when we all live under Skynet in the year 2025?

After all if you get a casual dna test 'just to see what percentage is viking' for the bantz. Your supplied data will be perma-stored, even for possible future resell as a product.

Perhaps in 2025 the AI overlord will decide all the golden-blood Rh-Null (or Negative) folks should be rounded up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Gffg

People who have outspoken opinions are more likely to get banned. The reality is that the people who don't get banned are bores who've nothing to say for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Discodog wrote: »

It’s cheaper than paying 5 bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There's a small but very vocal number of posters that are clearly only actively seeking to antagonise for their own agenda, or are just not completely mentally stable. Hard to differentiate between but neither one is worth engaging with as it's at the very least a waste of time and at worst could be exasperating a serious condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boards rules are a problem. Trolling is too easy. You can troll and very simply defend it as your legitimate position. If you call someone a troll, you're carded, if the thread is reported nothing is done because technically it's not trolling. Right wing trolling just happens to be the easiest at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 watn_a_van

There feels like there's been a concerted effort on After Hours to spread an American style alt-right agenda by a seemingly constant stream of brand new accounts over the last year or so.

It's something I don't really ever see reflected in Irish society or even in other Irish online communities like Reddit.

Reddit mods will remove any opinion they don't like as they'll be accused of being yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Gffg wrote: »
    People who have outspoken opinions are more likely to get banned. The reality is that the people who don't get banned are bores who've nothing to say for themselves.

Maybe the real bores are the ones who think everyone needs to hear their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gffg wrote: »

People get banned for spouting unsubstantiated nonsense and insulting rubbish. Something folks often confuse with being 'outspoken'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

begbysback wrote: »
    It’s cheaper than paying 5 bucks

Why change? I am happy to stand by the posts I made years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

seamus wrote: »
    No, and nobody said that about the Gillette ad either.

But it's an implicit recognition that the New Zealand shooter has the same pseudo-intellectual positions and justifications against immigration and multiculturalism that many here on boards do. That makes you uncomfortable when you're not a psychopath, because it indicates that perhaps your own opinion might need re-examining.

But rather reexamine ones own opinions, it's far easier to just call everyone else crazy and stick to your guns.

Cough, cough, coughity cough:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109144768&postcount=76

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plopsu wrote: »
    That was one of the most hysterically moronic statements I've ever read on Boards, a high mark to aim for indeed. And it came from someone who I was genuinely surprised to see coming out with that. I thought it a brain fart, but then it they doubled down on it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That was one of the most hysterically moronic statements I've ever read on Boards, a high mark to aim for indeed. And it came from someone who I was genuinely surprised to see coming out with that. I thought it a brain fart, but then it they doubled down on it.

As he says above, himself:

"But rather reexamine ones own opinions, it's far easier to just call everyone else crazy and stick to your guns."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

But he didn't say they were as bad as, he said they were a step away from them.

MrFresh wrote: »
    But he didn't say they were as bad as, he said they were a step away from them.

Oooh, so he only said they were 'almost' as bad as them. Well that's completely different :rolleyes:

Oooh, so he only said they were 'almost' as bad as them. Well that's completely different :rolleyes:

I agree.

I agree.

With irony?? Go you.

Seriously though, if you want to make as big a fool of yourself defending what he said as he did on that thread, you go right ahead.

With irony?? Go you.

You mean sarcasm right?

Seriously though, if you want to make as big a fool of yourself defending what he said as he did on that thread, you go right ahead.

I didn't defend what he said. I'm pointing out how it was misrepresented.

• Advertisement

You mean sarcasm right?

I didn't defend what he said. I'm pointing out how it was misrepresented.

You might want to look up what irony means (in fairness it is pretty much sarcasm but if we're getting picky...).

There's no real misrepresentation. Try naming somebody as one step away from being a child rapist and see if a defamation case ensues.*

*spoiler: it will.

Advertisement