Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie complicit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Or perhaps it's one ugly way to avoid boards.ie becoming the platform of choice for the alt-right in Ireland?

except that isn't happening. sure, there are a few alt right types on here but boards is not being over-run or being invaded by them. suggesting otherwise is just not true.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Ireland actually is, overall, a good place to live if you are not white. No matter how much the victimhood fetishists long for the opposite (and convince themselves it's the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

gozunda wrote: »
    Erhhh?

From the article

Not sure you can put that story down to "racists beating up black people for being black" (sic) or otherwise ...
    From https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-subjected-horrific-racial-slurs-15977204

He said one of the men then started urinating so he told him to stop - before being called "a black monkey" and told to "f**k off back to where I came from."
    Speaking to The Independent Stanley said the men accused him of "taking jobs and food" before attacking him.

Just an average day on boards then - nothing racist there, right?

Ireland actually is, overall, a good place to live if you are not white. No matter how much the victimhood fetishists long for the opposite (and convince themselves it's the case).

https://www.thejournal.ie/racism-report-3126953-Dec2016/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-glasnevin-racism-indian-students-2390174-Oct2015/

except that isn't happening. sure, there are a few alt right types on here but boards is not being over-run or being invaded by them. suggesting otherwise is just not true.

In fairness, this is fairly accurate - boards isn't 'overrun' by alt-right types. But there is a significant number, far in excess of their presence in normal society. And the degree of anti-immigrant threads and comments is increasing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Boards? That happened on Boards - did it? Virtual p*ssing was it?

So again from the article you linked and you claimed was (Irish) white on black racism ...
    A source said: ‘Gardaí are aware of issues within the foreign national community over “turf wars” relating to car wash facilities. It is an issue in various parts of Dublin. There are some serious car wash wars going on, simmering for several months...

It is in no way a Nigerian issue solely in terms of threats and attacks. There is a lot of Eastern European involvement in this industry also. At present, gardaí are trying to keep a lid on the situation.’

Christ but you would hang yourself to try and make all and sundry rampant 'racists' ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

From https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-subjected-horrific-racial-slurs-15977204

you are missing the point. the specific attack mentioned in your article was racially motivated but the article posted which you replied about suggests that this is part of a turf war involving a number of different foreign national groups.

https://www.thejournal.ie/racism-report-3126953-Dec2016/
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-glasnevin-racism-indian-students-2390174-Oct2015/

In fairness, this is fairly accurate - boards isn't 'overrun' by alt-right types. But there is a significant number, far in excess of their presence in normal society. And the degree of anti-immigrant threads and comments is increasing over time.

i'm not seeing any increase in such threads. such threads along with traveler and doal bashing threads have remained at more or less the same rate in the years i have been here.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

So again from the article you linked and you claimed was (Irish) white on black racism ...
    Where exactly did I claim it was (Irish) white on black racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Most racists dont like to be called out. The posts on the NZ thread exosed their true colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've rereged a few times. For some reason my different accounts have had different personas, to varying extents, and favoured different forums.

Of course there will be isolated incidents unfortunately. But that doesn't make Ireland a racist country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance. Public transport is a chore.

In general middle Ireland is fine.

By their actions, if not their words, the upper middle classes are keeping themselves seperate from travellers, foreigners and non-whites in their places of abode and work.

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance.
    Ironically the "racists everywhere" crowd have a hard-on for them too.

Ironically the "racists everywhere" crowd have a hard-on for them too.

Indeed. It’s all about being more moral than thou. The more people you condemn for racism the more virtuous you feel. If it’s just the underclass you don’t get to fellow morally superior to most people, if 99% of people are racist and you are not (by your words but not you actions) then you get to feel more moral to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

There are racists in Ireland alright, as my nonwhite partner would attest to. The feral underclass for instance. Public transport is a chore.

By their actions, if not their words, the upper middle classes are keeping themselves seperate from travellers, foreigners and non-whites in their places of abode and work.

Yes the upper middle classes in their ivory towers, they have their own stressful moment's too, they are not all moral Mary's or have all their duck's in a row.

They still have stress, make the wrong decisions.
    Live with abusive partners, some end up being alcohol and drug addicts.
    Live in fear, their car's break down.

Up to their eye balls in debt.

Hard time's don't discriminate, class isn't everything.
    I've friends who are across the spectrum, from big country estates to burnt out housing estates.
    Some have seen dysfunction, effected by drink and drugs.
    One guy I know, a millionaire had to get on a plane to Thailand and pick his junkie daughter up off the streets....
    He did this in 5 days, booked his ticket flew Via London, and brought her home.
    He and his wife are constantly on eggshells...

From all divides you'll get plenty of dysfunction.

Where exactly did I claim it was (Irish) white on black racism?

Here:
    Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

emo72 wrote: »

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everybody!

And a very happy St Pattys to you.......

:D

And a very happy St Pattys to you.......

ht_saint_patricks_day_2_sr_140317_16x9_608.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I sorted by New, and one page shows five days of results. Unluckily for you, the search takes away the plural, which makes you look like a right tit.

[Screenshot]
    I can't be the only one? AbG's monitor...

g2460Pqu-portrait.jpg

With my middle name being Patrick, this is well appreciated. I hate this Patty's day craic.

Billy86 wrote: »

Fireshot for Chrome ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's complicit in the same way as I'm complicit in rising sea levels every time I take a slash.

I don't like the term 'alt-right' - it's an American thing (coined by white supremacists who wanted to give themselves a snazzy new name) and not in any way relevant here, despite the best efforts of weirdos to adopt their language (I've literally been called a 'cuck' and a 'soy boy' by posters on here - I think one of them was from Tipperary, which I found hilarious, imagining those words being uttered in that accent).

I don't think it would be controversial to suggest that there are a few posters on here who use the same kind of language as that terrorist in Christchurch and are unhealthily preoccupied with race and immigration. Not many, but certainly more than in the past, and way more than the average person will encounter in normal society. Doesn't mean that they have any intention of ever hurting anyone. Nor does it mean that they weren't disgusted by the attack. I'd hate to see them continuing to increase in numbers though, and this place becoming a 'safe space' for the far-right.

There are more than just a few who tolerate the far-right - and from reading this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking that they tolerate white nationalists far more than they tolerate those whom they refer to as 'SJWs' (another tedious Americanism). They claim (wrongly) that they're two sides of the same coin, but they get a whole lot more worked up about one side than the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fireshot for Chrome ;)

Cheers, I need to screenshot a bunch of stuff for my new job and you may have just saved me a fair chunk of time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

This place has become a cesspit of intolerance I'm outta here*

*internally debates closing latest account and/or saying a prayer to St Anto to find a cure for my hurt feelings.
    Edit: I just seen a guy on telly with a Jack Daniels tee-shirt... I believe it to be a personal reply from St Anto himself, I'll find what I'm looking for at the bottom of a bottle. Soldier on I shall!

This place has become a cesspit of intolerance I'm outta here*

*internally debates closing latest account and/or saying a prayer to St Anto to find a cure for my hurt feelings.
    Edit: I just seen a guy on telly with a Jack Daniels tee-shirt... I believe it to be a personal reply from St Anto himself, I'll find what I'm looking for at the bottom of a bottle. Soldier on I shall!

Really? Over the use of the term "St Pattys"
    Wooooo ..

I know that has to be Irony :pac:

Here:
    Try reading it again - just to be clear:

"Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black."

doesn't say anything about the racists being white or Irish - it just says racists.

Of course there will be isolated incidents unfortunately. But that doesn't make Ireland a racist country.
    Isolated to attacks on foreigners I guess;

Your naivety is touching. Racism goes across all classes, all genders, all nationalities, all locations. Some people are better at hiding it than others.

I don't think it would be controversial to suggest that there are a few posters on here who use the same kind of language as that terrorist in Christchurch and are unhealthily preoccupied with race and immigration. Not many, but certainly more than in the past, and way more than the average person will encounter in normal society. Doesn't mean that they have any intention of ever hurting anyone. Nor does it mean that they weren't disgusted by the attack. I'd hate to see them continuing to increase in numbers though, and this place becoming a 'safe space' for the far-right.
    You may well be right - that the racists don't have any intention of ever physically hurting anyone. However, they do fuel the hatred that empowers and emboldens others to carry out the kind of violent attacks that we've seen in Ireland and elsewhere.

Try reading it again - just to be clear:

"Yeah, sure Ireland is grand, apart from the racists beating up black people for being black."

doesn't say anything about the racists being white or Irish - it just says racists.

Sure Ireland is grand apart from the racists...

So are you now saying the racists in Ireland are foreign born? Ok so .
    Isolated to attacks on foreigners I guess

And you say we have foreigners being attacked by those neither white nor Irish

Seriously put down the shovel and stop digging ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Billy86 wrote: »

g2460Pqu-portrait.jpg

I have one like that right here :D

So are you now saying the racists in Ireland are foreign born? Ok so .

And you say we have foreigners being attacked by those neither white nor Irish

Seriously put down the shovel and stop digging ...
    Let's go back over the facts. I never said anything about where the racists were born, mainly because I don't have any information about where the racists were born. I just referred to racists in Ireland.

You jumped to conclusions that I was commenting on the skin colour and ethnicity of those racists. I didn't make any comment on the skin colour or ethnicity of those racists.

You made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Omackeral wrote: »
    Then leave. Plenty of other places to go that might suit you better.

The irony of calling out re-regs is startling when the rest of your post is taken into account. Also, did you just create this thread to have a go at Wibbs? Seems you couldn't wait to name drop him. In a thread complaining about "extremists", you pick out a very reasonable poster. It's all a bit sad and bitter.

BOOM ..

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Translation. Your attempt at whataboutary failed.

Your naivety is touching. Racism goes across all classes, all genders, all nationalities, all locations. Some people are better at hiding it than others.

I agree with the last statement - in fact, as in all moral system, which by their nature cause hypocrisy, often those who bleat the most about racism are by their actions more racist.

Advertisement