Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

PPN2893 wrote: »
    I'll do that. I'm going to try to contact the last neurologist I saw as she was more helpful. The senior consultant I was diagnosed by told me that MS nurses weren't common place when I asked about it. Kinda seemed like he thought I was faking it because I had a clean MRI, even though my LP came back positive.

I was the other way around, positive MRI and negative lumbar puncture.

I think there's 2 MS nurses in CUH where I am. There's probably not a lot of MS nurses in the country but they still should have put you in contact with one. I met my MS nurse about 10 minutes after being diagnosed. She was brought into the room and we were introduced and she gave me her phone number. Try and get the contact details for the nurse attached to your hospital. They'll be your first port of call for anything MS related you think might be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

I was the other way around, positive MRI and negative lumbar puncture.

I think there's 2 MS nurses in CUH where I am. There's probably not a lot of MS nurses in the country but they still should have put you in contact with one. I met my MS nurse about 10 minutes after being diagnosed. She was brought into the room and we were introduced and she gave me her phone number. Try and get the contact details for the nurse attached to your hospital. They'll be your first port of call for anything MS related you think might be serious.

I'm going to try and get in contact with them in the morning, even if I can just leave a message, because I know weekends + Paddy's Day will be a nightmare for hospital staff. I reckon they must have at least one nurse that deals with MS there. I live in Waterford, which doesn't have the largest hospital, but they surely must have someone there as it services most of the South East. I don't know though. I've talked to the Biogen nurses about my Tecfidera more in the past month than anyone in the neurology department since diagnosis!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Neurolgy in the south east is a disaster. Which is why I drive to Kerry each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm starting my rituximab treatment today, hope it goes well without complications :-)

Update:
    After less than an hour I started feeling itchy round the back of my ears and eventually most of my head. I made nurse aware of this and she could see rash developing over my head and down my neck and back, they decided to stop the Rituximab and gave me Piriton iv to reduce the reaction. After a "cooling" off period we resumed slowly and completed the course without any other hiccups :-) Hopefully some good will come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi all,

I started experiencing issues on Thursday, balance problems, weakness, diffficulty coordinating my limbs. I rang the ms nurse who said she’d call me back on Tuesday to see if symptoms persisted and then get me to clinic on Wednesday. As it happens my annual mri is Thursday.
    My symptoms have worsened and I feel like it’s a relapse, I need to use a stick to get around. My own gp is away until Wednesday. Would you go to a&e or hold out to see neurologist on Wednesday?

• Advertisement

eimsRV wrote: »
    Hi all,

I started experiencing issues on Thursday, balance problems, weakness, diffficulty coordinating my limbs. I rang the ms nurse who said she’d call me back on Tuesday to see if symptoms persisted and then get me to clinic on Wednesday. As it happens my annual mri is Thursday.
    My symptoms have worsened and I feel like it’s a relapse, I need to use a stick to get around. My own gp is away until Wednesday. Would you go to a&e or hold out to see neurologist on Wednesday?

Do you have an emergency/out of hours doctor nearby? You can find a list at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/outofhours/gpooh.html

I'd personally advise to contact them before going to A&E. They may be able to provide more help with answers as to what to do. Weekends are particularly slow in A&E and you could be saving yourself a lot of trouble waiting around for possibly being sent home. I think with having an appointment so close that it might be better to wait before going to the hospital unless you are having symptoms much more severe than you have experienced in the past.

Thanks ppn. Yes I’ll call the out of hours doctor now.
    The symptoms are similar to what I experienced about 4 years ago. I’ve been relatively fine since then. I can’t bare the thought of sitting in a&e for 24 hours but also worried about delaying possible treatment.

Thanks ppn. Yes I’ll call the out of hours doctor now.
    The symptoms are similar to what I experienced about 4 years ago. I’ve been relatively fine since then. I can’t bare the thought of sitting in a&e for 24 hours but also worried about delaying possible treatment.

It's understandable to want to get treatment asap. From my own experience of visiting A&E, treatment didn't come quick. It really depends on the neurology team and the facilities at your nearest hospital. It's a mixed bag all over the country.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Last time I was went to A & E I was waiting 12 hours to be seen. It's a bank holiday weekend as well so that may add to waiting times. I'd be inclined to wait until the MS nurse calls you back on Tuesday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How are you doing, eimsRV?

• Advertisement

How are you doing, eimsRV?

Thanks for asking byhookorbycrook.

I saw the registrar in Beaumont today. He feels I'm having a relapse but wants to rule out infection so had bloods and urine test done with results due tomorrow along with MRI. Expected to start steroids on Friday. Struggling trying to explain my absence to my new manager who is in America and not much knowledge of MS. I said I'll be out for at least this week and next and he was shocked. I was trying to explain its very unpredictable but its difficult to really get it across.

I'm off driving and not able to walk unaided or even pick up my 1 year old - but hopefully will feel better once I start on the steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi all. Just been reading the last few pages of this. 30 lad here. Diagnosed last June with 3 week history of optic neuritis and pins and needles on my left leg with balance as good as gone. Thought it was a tumour and attended eye clinic in cork university hospital, was admitted through the medical assessment unit and told that evening I more than likely had MS. I was thankful I got a diagnosis so fast as I’ve heard horror stories of people waiting years to be diagnosed. I was started on Gilenya and 4000 units of vit D. Also my folic acid, b12 and iron are always low.
    I’ve been doing good since my diagnosis. Have have one or two balance issues a day but never fall. Bladder is acting up a little bit in that I feel as if I’ve a very full bladder but then when I go, the flow isn’t great and the amount I pass isn’t that large either.
    All in all I suppose I’m okay with it all. I’m back working full time which included shift and night work. Always tired but I plan around it.
    Great to find this page and hear of other people’s journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

adam88 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just been reading the last few pages of this. 30 lad here. Diagnosed last June with 3 week history of optic neuritis and pins and needles on my left leg with balance as good as gone.

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to join ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Hi all.

Firstly to admit I have been lurking / watching from a distance for some time, but didn't post before now as I tend be very discrete / private etc.

For professional reasons etc, while I don't hide my MS from those that are close, (e.g. family and friends) I work in a "hard nosed" / ultra-competitive professional arena where I am (reasonably) well known and where some "play dirty" at times, and use any perceived weakness to exploit their position, to the detriment of others. For that reason I have set up a new account here to keep my identity completely separate to my public persona, if only to avoid damaging my professional brand, and so as to not to afford others the opportunity to impact on my professional life (trust me there are those who would).

The above aside I am a 49 year male, who was diagnosed the first half of 2015 (4 years ago).

I am living with RRMS, and bar one very severe episode in 2015, (you name it, it malfunctioned - it was like an explosion) and one less severe episode about 15 months thereafter, I am living "well" with MS, albeit it has a habit of "reminding" me when I over do things. I am on a DMD (disease modify drug), (an interferon), and while we will never know, my Nero says "the plan is working, for now".

I have worked extremely hard in the last 30 plus years and made, and lost, and recovered a reasonable bit of wealth, and thankfully along with the general economic upturn, in the last few years have by and large recovered financially, albeit the big flash cars and several foreign holidays are no longer a feature, but guess what, I don't actually miss that stuff. If I was to take a positive view, living with MS has thought me to enjoy the here and now, and to be glad for what I have.

My work is very important to me, both from a financial security point of view; I am the sole income earner in the house, with two kids in third level education, and a spouse who is a full-time carer (for their sibling who has has a profound intellectual disability), and also, as I enjoy being busy, and for the most part enjoy the cut an thrust of what I do for a living. Thankfully with some, not very outwardly, obvious adjustments bar a period of c.1 month when first diagnosed, there have only been a handful of days where I have obviously been "missing in action" (I am fortunate in that (thanks to technology) I can work from home on or two days a week, so my "absence" from the office is not noticeable as such).

Otherwise I am, to date, managing well, albeit the "reminders" are becoming slightly more frequent and pronounced, but am fortunate in that I hope that in the next 3-4 years, if I choose to, to be in a position to make very substantial career / lifestyle choices, which may include a complete change of career / stepping back from the "pressure cooker" and doing something far more sedate.

A lot there, I know, but am conscious that being diagnosed with a Chronic Illness such as MS is "life changing", and far from nice, but also conscious that (as I have learnt) there are also many folk managing well, albeit we need to be more aware of what our bodies are telling us, but also to use the "warnings" positively - in my my case the weekly overseas business trips, I no longer make, have afforded me more time with my family, something I had (subconsciously) neglected to do for many years but which has brought us closer.

Anyway to end - I wont such say "it's all good", but good things can come from bad things - live well (as well as one can) fellow MSers.

Am I the only one that’s really really curious right now lol.

All the best in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Are any of you on Lemtrada? The EMA have come out and said that they've had to put some pretty severe restrictions on it being prescribed as they're carrying out a review to see if the safety profile needs to be changed. Potential for cardiovascular damage needs to be assessed after some adverse reactions and events were reported to the EMA. I'm 22 months post round two and was supposed to get a third round, which has now been put on indefinite hold. The lemtrada has caused me damage as I've had to have my thyroid removed as a direct result of receiving lemtrada so my neurologist had said a third round may be warranted but she wouldn't want me to go on having fourth or fifth rounds. Dunno what to think now, my heart has been fine but if they're gonna put a stop to lemtrada, what could they offer me instead? I've already had copaxone, tecfidera and tysabri, none of which were working.

What about gilenya. I’ve been A1 since I’ve started it 9 months ago and my optic neuritis has almost all but cleared up. Big improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

adam88 wrote: »
    What about gilenya. I’ve been A1 since I’ve started it 9 months ago and my optic neuritis has almost all but cleared up. Big improvement

I've been on it since Nov 2015 and had no new lesion activity. First 18 months on it were rough, as I caught every illness going (given that it works by slashing white blood cells this makes sense). But am totally grand for the last while.

I got results back there. Unfortunately no infection and one new lesion. Will be starting steroids. And they want to change me to Fampyra. Has anyone else taken this tablet? Is it usually temporary?

I was talking to a good friend of mine whose a dr. We were talking about whether I’d do another round of steroids if I got a minor flare up. I honestly would prefer not to. I was absolutely knocked for 6 for three weeks after stopping the steroids. Vertigo, restlessness etc. I was genuinely of the opinion that if these symptoms were MS then I wouldn’t be hanging around too long more. It was only when I went digging that I found out that my symptoms were due to the high dose steroid and the sudden stoppage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Was the gilenya suggestion for me? If it was, it's not an option for me. My neurologist has said that my MS is too aggressive to be kept at bay with injectable or oral medications. It's IV of nothing for me I'm afraid!

embee wrote: »
    Was the gilenya suggestion for me? If it was, it's not an option for me. My neurologist has said that my MS is too aggressive to be kept at bay with injectable or oral medications. It's IV of nothing for me I'm afraid!

Embee - so you just have to wait? Its been 18 months since your last round of lemtrada, were they planning the 3rd round this year? I've no experience of lemtrada, but hope you get an update soon and they figure out a treatment plan

I’d go for Ocreveus ahead of Gilenya .
    Fampyra is a drug that helps around 30%- we 30% that it helps are known as responders .The HSE will only pay for responders to get it - you get it for a month on trial.It’s proven to increase walking speed , but before I was funded , I continued to pay for it myself as I felt it helped with spacticity and being able to stand longer . It’s not a dmd.

To the man on interferon , get off it ASAP . It’s almost useless and he damage done while you are on it will bite hard later . There was nothing else when I was diagnosed and if I had the chance of the effective drugs like Tysabri or Ocreveus , I’d grab them as quickly as I could .

byhookorbycrook are you on a dmd as well as Fampyra?

byhookorbycrook are you on a dmd as well as Fampyra?

Oh I’m on everything ! Tysabri , amitriptyline, gabapentin, Fampyra , NSAIDs, you name it !

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

NHS has approved ocrevus / ocrelizumab for PPMS... my consultant has told me they are nowhere near approval over here and he has basically stopped talking to patients about it.

I’ve been emailing/tweeting/mildly harassing both MSIreland and Simon harris about it and I’m being fobbed off by both. Could I ask anyone in same position as me (ppms no dmd) to do same and maybe we’ll have strength in numbers! I really feel we are the forgotten few of the MS community.

Hope everyone is doing well

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    NHS has approved ocrevus / ocrelizumab for PPMS... my consultant has told me they are nowhere near approval over here and he has basically stopped talking to patients about it.

I’ve been emailing/tweeting/mildly harassing both MSIreland and Simon harris about it and I’m being fobbed off by both. Could I ask anyone in same position as me (ppms no dmd) to do same and maybe we’ll have strength in numbers! I really feel we are the forgotten few of the MS community.

Hope everyone is doing well
    Will do . Can you get ritux in the meantime ?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Will do . Can you get ritux in the meantime ?

Thank you so much.

Tried ritux Feb 2017... bad allergic reaction. They wouldn’t let me continue. Used 25ml of the 500ml dose! Terrible. My consultant’s team has researched the properties of the two and think that they are altered enough to allow me try ocrevus so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Loretogirl

A friend came across CBC oil in a chemist shop recently and thought it might be of benefit to me for stiffness. It is called CannabiGold, has anyone used this and did they get any benefit from lt.

Advertisement