Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentrification

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

I looked at Rialto 15 years ago. Fatima IMHO hasn't been a great success. Try the old CIE Works in Inchicore. Very quiet & very close to town. Surrounded by high granite walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

You're probably right. But I'd probably do no exercise if I didn't build it into my daily routine this way. I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

It's more of a slow evolution OP.

Culturally prices in Rialto have been low as it was not seen as as desirable as elsewhere. People could buy in other places in Dublin and get the standard 3 bed semi.

Not the case now but people now instead of going to Rialto or Crumlin will pay similar or much more to go to a town in Meath and spend 4 hours a day commuting. I

It's part of the Irish mentality to be seen as respectable and Irish people will slowly destroy their health with monster commutes rather than buy somewhere central that doesn't sound as good even though there is rarely problems in most parts of areas seen as 'bad'.

If you could buy a house in say London that was ten minutes walk from Picadilly, even if there was daily knife fights on your door, it would cost a multiple of something that required a four hour commute. Not so in Ireland so Kildare and Meath becomes populated with people with Dublin accents as they are too good to live in the parts of Dublin they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Culturally prices in Rialto have been low as it was not seen as as desirable as elsewhere. People could buy in other places in Dublin and get the standard 3 bed semi.

Not the case now but people now instead of going to Rialto or Crumlin will pay similar or much more to go to a town in Meath and spend 4 hours a day commuting. I

It's part of the Irish mentality to be seen as respectable and Irish people will slowly destroy their health with monster commutes rather than buy somewhere central that doesn't sound as good even though there is rarely problems in most parts of areas seen as 'bad'.

If you could buy a house in say London that was ten minutes walk from Picadilly, even if there was daily knife fights on your door, it would cost a multiple of something that required a four hour commute. Not so in Ireland so Kildare and Meath becomes populated with people with Dublin accents as they are too good to live in the parts of Dublin they can afford.

We do nothing about crime here so people chose to live far away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

There are cheaper parts that are okay and people certainly misjudge it, but then there are parts of Dublin where you really have to think twice about buying there. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Finglas for example is a big area with parts that are okay and parts that you should really stay away from because it has too many problems.
    Buying a house is the biggest financial investment most people make in their lives, I can't blame them for avoiding areas where severe problems are obvious.

As long as undesirables are getting away with their crimes and are free to wreck havoc in their local area with no consequences whatsoever, people will choose to move further out.
    Have a look on AH, someone's planning to sell up, because local kids terrorise the family and there's 0 they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I put this to someone who has a sensible head and their opinion was that while an area may be safe enough and settled in the general sense it can be stressful for some living somewhere colorful.

A lot of the areas gentrified in US cities where places with drive-by shootings and gang warfare yet someone took a chance on buying because it was cheap.

Soweto in Johannesburg has become gentrified and its still notoriously dangerous.

I'm not saying anyone should buy or even consider anywhere, its just a counterpoint to the negativity that a single person on an average salary could not afford anything in Dublin and a general point about how gentrification occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gentrification of an area takes decades and will typically be lead by landlords picking up cheap investment properties and leasing them to students or young professionals who are happy to put up with the colourful aspects of a neighbourhood because the rent is cheap and the location is within walking/cycling distance of college/work or on good public transport links that'll get them to their destination in under half an hour.

It's not so long ago that Rathmines was seen as a bit of a kip that was only suitable for students in bedsits / house-shares. If you'd been "brave" enough to pick up a property there in the 80s and had slowly done it up since then you could easily be sitting on a million euro house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

LirW wrote: »
    There are cheaper parts that are okay and people certainly misjudge it, but then there are parts of Dublin where you really have to think twice about buying there. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Finglas for example is a big area with parts that are okay and parts that you should really stay away from because it has too many problems.
    Buying a house is the biggest financial investment most people make in their lives, I can't blame them for avoiding areas where severe problems are obvious.

As long as undesirables are getting away with their crimes and are free to wreck havoc in their local area with no consequences whatsoever, people will choose to move further out.
    Have a look on AH, someone's planning to sell up, because local kids terrorise the family and there's 0 they can do about it.

Having spent a good bit of time in Finglas, I can tell you that what you’ve written isn’t too far from the truth.

Finglas East is best. Very little social housing and not much chance of it going in as the area is developed. You’d do well to pick up a home with mod cons for less than €300k. It’s a 20 mon cycle from O’Connell street.

Finglas West is hit and miss. It changes street by street. Mostly private dwellings but a lot of social problems around the Barry area.

Finglas South. This is the area with most problems, berryfield being the biggest problem area. Some serious criminality living in Finglas South but still nowhere near as bad as was in the last.

Finglas north has been developed in the last 10 years and is handy for the m50 and airport. The area has received a heavy influx of immigrants but this seems to cause no major issues. However, that part of finglas is split between Fingal and DCC and both have been slipping in 100% social housing developments. Most of these developments straddle poppintree ”(close to ikea). I have noticed in recent weeks the emergence of young kids between 8 and 12 roaming the streets after dark. Unless there is significant Garda presence in this area, social problems will increase.
    So if you’re single and working 80 hours a week, finglas north might suit. As for raising a family there, I’d think twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Sleepy wrote: »
    Gentrification of an area takes decades and will typically be lead by landlords picking up cheap investment properties and leasing them to students or young professionals who are happy to put up with the colourful aspects of a neighbourhood because the rent is cheap and the location is within walking/cycling distance of college/work or on good public transport links that'll get them to their destination in under half an hour.

It's not so long ago that Rathmines was seen as a bit of a kip that was only suitable for students in bedsits / house-shares. If you'd been "brave" enough to pick up a property there in the 80s and had slowly done it up since then you could easily be sitting on a million euro house now.

ya i think that is the reality its not something that happens over the course of 3,7, or even 10 years.

i lived in stonybatter in 1995 and whilst there were definatly rougher parts of the north side it was pretty grim. it had nothing going for it, and walking home up north brunswick st at night was even on the best night a stressful walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

farmchoice wrote: »
    ya i think that is the reality its not something that happens over the course of 3,7, or even 10 years.

i lived in stonybatter in 1995 and whilst there were definatly rougher parts of the north side it was pretty grim. it had nothing going for it, and walking home up north brunswick st at night was even on the best night a stressful walk.

Top of oxmantown Road was until relatively recently seen as undesirable due to the proximity to O, devaney Gardens

Of course, there is a difference between buying as a family or a single woman in some areas versus say a 6ft male psychiatric nurse who looks like he can take care of himself.

Areas do change over time and sometimes those who took a chance on it have done very well for themselves.

Not driving is becoming a thing, the partner of one of my daughters dose not drive and he is a 37-year-old man and he has no intention of learning to drive either.

Public transport is going to be a really big thing with the next generation, so areas with good public transport will really benefit.

Zenify wrote: »
    Area will lose 2 extra points if horses are in fields or kids on scrambles.

Are you mad? 2 points? Either of those things takes 4 points if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

mariaalice wrote: »
    Of course, there is a difference between buying as a family or a single woman in some areas versus say a 6ft male psychiatric nurse who looks like he can take care of himself.

Areas do change over time and sometimes those who took a chance on it have done very well for themselves.

Not driving is becoming a thing, the partner of one of my daughters dose not drive and he is a 37-year-old man and he has no intention of learning to drive either.

Public transport is going to be a really big thing with the next generation, so areas with good public transport will really benefit.

I mean, you're always going on about this gentrification by linking property in seriously bad parts of Dublin.
    Why are you not going to take the leap?
    I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it, really, I grew up in the worst parts of my hometown because we didn't have any money and I have a good tolerance. I'm really not too precious about it but I viewed houses in that area on Finglas you like to refer to and no way in hell I'd bring up my children there. Again, this is the biggest purchase people make, why would they compromise on a really bad area with a lot of social problems and gang criminality?
    You admit that it might only be an option for a very small cohort of buyers, like a tall bulky guy. He's not going to gentrify an area. Gentrification takes a long time and plenty of attempts fail.
    Also often successful gentrification often starts with artists relocating to cheap areas because large space is cheap to start studios and small businesses.

Instead of telling people to get over themselves and move to the most problematic parts of Dublin, why not demanding proper law enforcement instead so these areas become a bit more attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

LirW wrote: »
    I mean, you're always going on about this gentrification by linking property in seriously bad parts of Dublin.
    Why are you not going to take the leap?
    I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it, really, I grew up in the worst parts of my hometown because we didn't have any money and I have a good tolerance. I'm really not too precious about it but I viewed houses in that area on Finglas you like to refer to and no way in hell I'd bring up my children there. Again, this is the biggest purchase people make, why would they compromise on a really bad area with a lot of social problems and hang criminality?
    You admit that it might only be an option for a very small cohort of buyers, like a tall bulky guy. He's not going to gentrify an area. Gentrification takes a long time and plenty of attempts fail.
    Also often successful gentrification often starts with artists relocating to cheap areas because large space is cheap to start studios and small businesses.

Instead of telling people to get over the

mselves and move to the most problematic parts of Dublin, why not demanding proper law enforcement instead so these areas become a bit more attractive?

Correct safety first

Advertisement