Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentrification

Options
  • 20-11-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭

What is the tipping point.

The new children hospital has a big effect on properties in the area

What’s the story with house prices? Not the worst, but rising rapidly. The average asking price of a property in Rialto is €297,006 – well below the all-city average of roughly €410,000, according to Daft.ie. But prices in the area are increasing quickly, jumping by almost 20 per cent year on year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rialto-neighbourhood-guide-3965096-Apr2018/

I almost guarantee that going back a few years on accommodation & property on board if someone had said they were thinking of buying in Rialto? Dolphins Barn, the responses would be its a terrible idea, the drugs, the antisocial behavior. The area is still the same discarded drug paraphilia down lanes ect.

What is the tipping point that makes that first-person take a chance on an area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Rate it 1-10 for location e.g. close to city/public transport, then 1-10 based on how bad it is. Top scoring areas will gentrify first. Lowest will never gentrify.

Area will lose 2 extra points if horses are in fields or kids on scrambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mariaalice wrote: »

What’s the story with house prices? Not the worst, but rising rapidly. The average asking price of a property in Rialto is €297,006 – well below the all-city average of roughly €410,000, according to Daft.ie. But prices in the area are increasing quickly, jumping by almost 20 per cent year on year.

I almost guarantee that going back a few years on accommodation & property on board if someone had said they were thinking of buying in Rialto? Dolphins Barn, the responses would be its a terrible idea, the drugs, the antisocial behavior. The area is still the same discarded drug paraphilia down lanes ect.

What is the tipping point that makes that first-person take a chance on an area?

Lots of reasons. Price location, family ties to the area, might not be buying looking at what prices will be.

Id say that area is still pretty rough

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Location is key.

Anywhere within walking distance of Dublin are desirable even if they historically were bad areas.

I think the likes of Stoneybatter is similar.

Finglas is a while off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Location is key.

Anywhere within walking distance of Dublin are desirable even if they historically were bad areas.

Stoneybatter was never a bad area. For some reason hipsters have some misconception that the streets were unsafe to walk before their arrival in the area.

Stoneybatter was never a bad area. For some reason hipsters have some misconception that the streets were unsafe to walk before their arrival in the area.

Well it's certainly an improving area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Location is key.

By the time it arrives, it would be too expensive to buy for the average single person to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Location is key.

Which part of Finglas is within walking distance of the city?

Mad_maxx wrote: »

None, get a map

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think stoneybatter was reviewed in the lonely planet as a very pleasant area to go to.
    It,s mostly old house,s and small shop,s and theres no large council housing blocks in the area.
    Alot of people buy old house,s in certain area,s ,they spend money,
    upgrade them, new shop,s open, small coffee shops open.
    being near a luas stop helps .
    gentrification is a gradual process .
    Stoneybatter was always a quiet area .
    finglas is not in walking distance of the city centre .

https://www.independent.ie/life/has-your-area-hit-peak-gentrification-35591501.html

so people who cannot afford to buy in stoneybatter maybe buy a house in cabra.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ballybough is on the list, I suspect - has stock of old houses and close to the city centre

• Advertisement

By the time anyone has heard of the place where ever it is or if is on any list , its would be too late to buy.

None, get a map

Read back over what you said a few posts ago

"anywhere within walking distance of the city"

Always look clever before being a smartarse, you didn't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finglas is mentioned in a completely different statement - indeed one excluding it from the walking distance areas at that - so you are the one misreading here. And drop the attitude about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Why are people so rude to each other and engaged in one-upmanship all the time on boards.ie. It’s turning into a cesspit, which is unfortunate as this site can be very helpful.

L1011 wrote: »
    Finglas is mentioned in a completely different statement - indeed one excluding it from the walking distance areas at that - so you are the one misreading here. And drop the attitude about it

Completely off-topic and maybe its a growing up in the county thing, but Finglas to the city center is between 5 to 7km of a walk its not a strole but its hardly a huge walk.

1 h 6 min (5.4 km) via Finglas Rd according to the map.

Read post number 4 in the thread, includes finglas as within walking distance of the city

No attitude here, just a solid rebuke

Telling me to "get a map" was attitude

Completely off-topic and maybe its a growing up in the county thing, but Finglas to the city center is between 5 to 7km of a walk its not a strole but its hardly a huge walk.

1 h 6 min (5.4 km) via Finglas Rd according to the map.

I've several relatives in Beaumont and its as close to town as finglas, they certainly don't view themselves as "within walking distance"

Read post number 4 in the thread, includes finglas as within walking distance of the city

No attitude here, just a solid rebuke

Telling me to "get a map" was attitude

It absolutely doesn't. Drop it.

Don't post again on that issue.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Why are people so rude to each other and engaged in one-upmanship all the time on boards.ie. It’s turning into a cesspit, which is unfortunate as this site can be very helpful.

Housing is an emotive subject, my original post was aimed at those who rather curse the dark or in general parlance moan rather than do something.

Buying on their own for some, especially on a low income is going to involve enormous compromises, but would that not be better that say at aged 39 renting in shared accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Getting back to the OP's question...

I'm 15 years in Inchicore, literally less than 10 mins walk from the new hospital. I moved there because it was the best I could afford post-divorce, i.e. less than 200K.

Prices where I am peaked at about 410-440K during the boom and still aren't back to that level despite the hospital - more like 350k max.

I'm sure the hospital will lift prices, but I think it's interesting that although I'm right beside a luas stop and a short stroll from the hospital, prices are still a good way off the boom peak prices - even though the general opinion seems to be that the market is back to 'normal'.

• Advertisement

None, get a map

Sorry op I was more talking about the sniping going on above.
    Housing is an emotive subject, my original post was aimed at those who rather curse the dark or in general parlance moan rather than do something.

Buying on their own for some, especially on a low income is going to involve enormous compromises, but would that not be better that say at aged 39 renting in shared accommodation.

Cyclepath wrote: »

I'm 15 years in Inchicore, literally less than 10 mins walk from the new hospital. I moved there because it was the best I could afford post-divorce, i.e. less than 200K.

Prices where I am peaked at about 410-440K during the boom and still aren't back to that level despite the hospital - more like 350k max.

I'm sure the hospital will lift prices, but I think it's interesting that although I'm right beside a luas stop and a short stroll from the hospital, prices are still a good way off the boom peak prices - even though the general opinion seems to be that the market is back to 'normal'.

Boom prices were over inflated though so the price your dwelling is at now is probably more realistic.

Cyclepath wrote: »

A rise from circa 200k to 350k in 15 years is an increase of around 57% that is not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

I walk to city centre from Beaumont every day. Takes me 50 mins at a reasonable but not extraordinary pace.

However, most parts of Beaumont are closer to the city centre than most parts of Finglas, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ciaranis wrote: »
    I walk to city centre from Beaumont every day. Takes me 50 mins at a reasonable but not extraordinary pace.

However, most parts of Beaumont are closer to the city centre than most parts of Finglas, I would have thought.

Walking distance means probably 15-20 mins walk max, longer than that it's a marathone :D

the area around that hospital is horrific. dolphins barn, reuben st, a lot of whats in or off cork st

gentrification couldnt come soon or hard enough for the removal of the bad elements i had experience of when i lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That article about Rialto is one year old and is also very misleading, unfortunately the area didnt take off at all, it's still very rough and intimidating. Looks like it was written buy someone who is trying to sell property in Rialto and is trying to dress its the reputaiton

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That article about Rialto is one year old and is also very misleading, unfortunately, the area didnt take off at all, it's still very rough and intimidating. Looks like it was written buy someone who is trying to sell property in Rialto and is trying to dress its the reputaiton

Yes its a bit of puff piece, but my point is that property prices have increased because of the new children's hospital and the hospital is not even finished yet.

Not everywhere is going to end up as a hipster paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Old saying

You can do up your house, buy you can't do up your neighborhood.

I wouldn't want to live there for anything, far too many problems. If the area ever becomes a safe and desirable area to live in, it won't be in my lifetime.

• Advertisement

Advertisement