Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 wire rural Scottish supplies

Options
  • 14-06-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is off topic.

My partners family is Scottish and live “almost” in the highlands ( north of Crieff ) While visiting them over the years I’ve noticed what seem to be 3 wire supplies going into rural houses. Similar to the older vertical 2 wire supplies in Ireland but these are low tension bare wires in a vertical formation but 3 instead of 2. Would it be phase, neutral and earth or what. Just curious as it caught my eye on more than one occasion.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are you sure these 3 wires don’t supply a local transformer? If so it could be a 3 phase supply and the transformer generates a neutral on the secondary side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Could be split phase supply 230-0-230.

Used to be common on farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

2011 wrote: »
    Are you sure these 3 wires don’t supply a local transformer? If so it could be a 3 phase supply and the transformer generates a neutral on the secondary side.

No I don’t think so. Though I’m not certain. They look low tension as our older single phase rural 2 wire supplies look as opposed to the thicker insulated twisted modern version. It’s just the three wires vertically mounted on relatively low poles going into th front gardens of houses in some parts of Scotland.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Could be split phase supply 230-0-230.

Used to be common on farms.

Ok. Thanks. I’ll google that and see what shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Would these houses have a pole mounted transformer very close e.g. within 50 ft of the house?
    The ESB would have used a similar setup yrs back but it was only used if the transformer was very close to the house. Had to do with earthing the neutral as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It must be some sort of bonding wire.

Ok im joking really,

Done a bit of reading and thinking. Could it be a TN-S system? Do we use TN-S in Ireland? I’ve only ever seen TN-C-S here.

TN-S would use the cable sheath.

As I said, it's a split phase system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I am slightly familiar with this from an old relative's farm in Scotland. They were wired like that if you'd a large demand or a lot of storage heating, but effectively it was used as two separate single phase installations.

The two fuse boards would have just been kept far apart to avoid phase-to-phase connection risk - i.e. one might have served out houses and the other the farm house.

They came off a centre tapped transformer, but it was 240V to neutral per phase, so not really at all like the US system.

British style 400V (then 415V) 3-phase would have only been installed if you'd very large inductive motor loads. They generally, much like the ESB, didn't install 3-phase unless there was a serious need.

In most of the rest of Europe 400V (380V) 4-wire services were (and are) quite common even for residential setups.

You'll see plenty of ovens and hobs sold on the Irish market that can be wired for 380V / 400V 3-phase with various different setups.

Our hob had:

L1, L2, L3 and N.

You could etc wire it with L1,L2,L3 bridged and connected to a single phase 230V supply.

Or:

L1 and N1 on a 230V supply
    L2-L3 (Bridged) and N1 on a second phase which I assume must be for 230-0-230 wherever that is still used?

Or, L1, L2, L3 and N1 all wired to individual phases, which would be common on the continent.

It's a 7.4kW load.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would much prefer a three phase supply myself for obvious reasons. I don't work on small installations so I haven't dealt with this.

Apparently the waveforms of both phases have a half-cycle offset, or 180 degrees apart (rather than 120 degrees). This means that the phase to phase voltage is 460V rather than 400V as we have over here between phases.

I have just retuned from Cuba, I believe that this might be the distribution that they commonly use there. Smaller loads can use 110V where as larger can use 220V and socket outlets are provided for both.

48056109066_29407a3935.jpg

• Advertisement

I think you mean the "concentric conductor", not the sheath.

I would much prefer a three phase supply myself for obvious reasons. I don't work on small installations so I haven't dealt with this.

Apparently the waveforms of both phases have a half-cycle offset, or 180 degrees apart (rather than 120 degrees). This means that the phase to phase voltage is 460V rather than 400V as we have over here between phases.

I have just retuned from Cuba, I believe that this might be the distribution that they commonly use there. Smaller loads can use 110V where as larger can use 220V and socket outlets are provided for both.

Cuba likely inherited a version of the US system. They seem to primarily use 110V 60Hz with some hotels providing 220V, due to predominantly European guests.

Using NEMA 5-15 110V sockets for 220V is asking for trouble as someone's going to plug in a 110V device.

US 220/240V sockets have the pins oriented horizontally.

In a Cuban hotel they'd be safer providing Schuko sockets for 220V if they've a lot of European tourists.

To be quite honest I don't really see the advantages of the US system. In my experience of it there isn't enough power available for a lot of heavy rated kitchen appliances. Typically they keep everything below 1500W even though in theory you can go up to 1800W at 120V it's kinda pushing the pins to the limits.

Then you've a version that supports 20Amps where one pin is horizontal and the socket has a T shaped slot on one side that accepts both 15 and 20 amp plugs. However it's not that common. The result is you've people using "cheater plugs" to connect 20 amp plugs to 15 amp sockets.

Then if you want to connect a dryer or even some washing machines with internal heaters you need special sockets for 220/240V. It's also an issue for decent portable air conditioners and you can't really use plug in heaters that output much heat.

In general it's a messy system that leads to overloading in my experience anyway.

It reminds me a bit of the old British installations with the round pin BS546 plugs where you'd umpteen incompatible sockets used in the same house resulting in loads of adaptors in permanent use.

There were 3 wire 127V 50Hz systems in Europe eg in Italy and Spain. They were 220V between two lives and 127V live to neutral. You'll still find remains of them in very old installations in Italy where there can be two lives and no neutral.

That's also partly why most continental plug systems weren't ever polarised as they're designed to assume either leg of the circuit can be 127V or 220V, so appliances are designed to be safe in either polarity.

In the EU our present-day system BS1363 plugs, are the only commonly used mains connector that's always polarised - systems like the French, Swiss and Danish plugs are only polarised if used with an earthed plug that only fits one way.

Incidentally, all appliances sold here also meet those standards both because of the single market and also Schuko is still referenced in the standards here albeit no longer installed. It was defined in IS 180. Also appliance connectors like the 'figure of 8' commonly used on small appliances is never polarised. So even used with our plugs and sockets it random at the appliance end.

European lamp sockets for example are designed with a big cuff to shroud the screw threads on Edison bulbs because you can't be sure that the screw isn't the live as a plug can go in either way into a wall socket. That obviously didn't ever mater with bayonet bulb sockets as they use pins and aren't polarised.

The only appliances that didn't were probably things like ancient televisions that used hot chassis - not something you'd have been likely to encounter after the 1950s.

The contemporary European and UK 230V systems are very straightforward and generally very safe.

I think you mean the "concentric conductor", not the sheath.
    Typically it's a lead sheath used on the cable. Concentric cable is used for TN-C-S systems.

Concentric service cable is definitely fairly common in urban England. It's usually associated with direct buried cables

Was it used here that much?

ESB seems to have mostly used ducts rather than direct burial.

I've definitely seen strange looking service cables in some older 1920s houses here that had underground services. I'm assuming it was some kind of of concentric cable. Looked like it was wrapped heavily in a protective tape a bit like what you'd see in some gas piping.

Cuba likely inherited a version of the US system. They seem to primarily use 110V 60Hz with some hotels providing 220V, due to predominantly European guests.

I don't think that is the reason to be honest. I spent most of my time in houses, not hotels and they had 110V and 220V sockets. They also had 2 meters installed on the exterior of the house, presumably one for each phase. Here is an example from one of the homes that I lived in:

48072713363_d86e2c92e7.jpg
    In a Cuban hotel they'd be safer providing Schuko sockets for 220V if they've a lot of European tourists.

The sockets shown below are the only type that I saw and I was in quite a few homes, public buildings, a few hotels in several places including Casablanca, Trinidad, Havana and Santa Clara.

Maybe there are different types used, I am only basing this on my own observations. I meet international standards people from time to time and work on projects abroad a lot so I am always interested in how things are done in other countries.

You sure it's not like the old Italian system?

They used to have 127V for 'lighting" which supplied lights and also a smaller 3 pin 10amp socket.

Then you had power which was 220V and supplied larger 16amp sockets.

They then dropped the 127V but retained two different 220V circuits.

There were two meters. One charging a lighting rate and the other a "power" rate. So using the washing machine or the water heating cost 2X using the lights.

The sockets still exist, but they're all 230V and supplied from a single meter.

The downside of it was that people would just connect everything they could to the cheaper system which resulted in fuse blowing and overloading risks.

Apparently the origin was that the power companies were competing with gas lighting in the early 20th C, so they sold lighting and power as different products.

You sure it's not like the old Italian system?

They used to have 127V for 'lighting" which supplied lights and also a smaller 3 pin 10amp socket.

Then you had power which was 220V and supplied larger 16amp sockets.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think so.
    What you are suggesting (I assume) is that in Italy phase to N is 127V and phase to phase is 220V which means that the phases are not 180 degrees apart. Where as in Cuba (it would seem to me) phase to N is 110V and (I would assume) phase to phase is 220V so on that basis I would conclude that the phases are 180 degrees apart.

My understanding is that small loads such as lighting and some socket outlets are 110V but larger loads such as some sockets, air conditioning and cookers are 220V.

Some wiring isn't too bad, like this:

48072807166_58ae163252.jpg

Whereas much of it is quite rough like this beauty :eek: in one house I stayed in:

48072895008_2160d04088.jpg

So it was not always easy to tell what you were looking at :D

Typically it's a lead sheath used on the cable.

For an overhead supply?

I'd strongly suspect the Cuban situation is caused by the US embargo though. Originally, it's very likely to have used Edison/GE derived standards due to proximity to the US. They seem to use 60Hz etc.

After the embargo on US companies exporting to Cuba, they would have found accessing US spec equipment extremely difficult, so I'm guessing they probably used some odd mixtures of European equipment in what is essentially a North American type distribution network and adapted things to work.

I mean the board you posted there appears to be using equipment that's specified fo European power 230V and is made to EN specs, not North American. They don't even seem to be two pole MCBs, which you'd expect if the 220V is derived from two lives.

CONYmatic seems to be a Spanish company.

Googling around there and there are also references to hotels and resorts operating their own power infrastructure, with local generator/CHP generating 230/400 50Hz with modern day continental European infrastructure and Schuko sockets.

The power Vs lighting split wasn't unusual in the early 20th century and was favoured by Edison type designs. For example, Cork City's original pre ESB system used that split too. The original network was installed by the UK arm of the Thomson-Houston Electric Company, which became GE. It sold power and lighting at totally different rates. As far as I'm aware it was 100V DC vs 200V DC. Industry standards weren't established by then so individual power companies did their own thing.

There are a number of Caribbean countries that used old European split phase standards that ended up in a bit of a mess using 127V 50Hz. It became very difficult to find appliances that worked on those systems as they were abandoned in Europe after WWII and North American appliances aren't happy with that voltage either.

In some cases they've switched to modern EU standards. Others have switched to close to North American standards.

Cuba would be a bit of an odd setup though because of the politics and the lack of resources and need to make do with what was available or manufactured locally.

It's also very likely you'd have Soviet gear in the mix and probably plenty of modern Chinese stuff.

Good post, very informative^^^
    I'd strongly suspect the Cuban situation is caused by the US embargo though. Originally, it's very likely to have used Edison/GE derived standards due to proximity to the US.

You could be right, I have no idea. I did see the nameplate from a largish US generator alright.

48073671441_a1146d17ce.jpg
    They seem to use 60Hz etc.

Correct.
    I mean the board you posted there appears to be using equipment that's specified fo European power 230V and is made to EN specs, not North American.

I wouldn't read too much into that. I think they use what they can get. I did some electrical work in Haiti (which is very close by) several years ago (with an Irish charity) and all of the components including the cabling were second hand. As you can see here the standard of electrical work can be pretty poor.
    They don't even seem to be two pole MCBs, which you'd expect if the 220V is derived from two lives.

Well that depends, supposing this board was for the 110V circuits, then there would only be one phase and the neutral is grounded so a single pole would be ok.
    CONYmatic seems to be a Spanish company.

Yes, but again I wouldn't read too much into this. SINGI are not Spanish (I don't think they are even European) and their MCBs are used in the photo in my earlier post showing the meters.
    Googling around there and there are also references to hotels and resorts operating their own power infrastructure, with local generator/CHP generating 230/400 50Hz with modern day continental European infrastructure and Schuko sockets.

Yes, I saw a number of generators around. Not surprising as I experienced quite a few power cuts in Havana.
    It's also very likely you'd have Soviet gear in the mix and probably plenty of modern Chinese stuff.

Yes, there were even Soviet missiles :D

48073739122_f0ec0301a0.jpg

48073749572_7f6a2edd44.jpg

• Advertisement

Apparently the waveforms of both phases have a half-cycle offset, or 180 degrees apart (rather than 120 degrees). This means that the phase to phase voltage is 460V rather than 400V as we have over here between phases

Thats simply the same as a standard L and N really. Both phases are no different than a L and N really. Or a 110v transformer secondary side. As in, it's single phase with a centre tap and the centre tap is earthed. It doesn't compare to 3 phase any more than standard 230v single phase does.

I know.

I know.

I know.

Just pointing out that even with L1 and L2, or any 2 phases, 120 degrees apart, the 120 degrees is only relevant in the overall 3 phases. Connect L1 and L2 to a scope and its a single sine wave 400v, even though the 2 phases are separate sine waves relative to the 3rd phase.

On another note, the 120 degrees comes about simply because that's the physical layout of windings in generators. Rotate a magnetic field in there and the winding voltages peak at 120 degree intervals in a sine shape as that's how the magnetic field strength changes as the poles pass the windings.

I know you know all this. But it can be useful to post about it. I could have incorrect understanding etc. Sometimes it makes the mind think more in depth about it.

^^^ Yeah, I guess my point is that when we “normally” deal with 2 phases from a mains supply in ireland they are 120 degrees apart. The only exception would be 110V site transformers.

You certainly don't ever see any odd supply voltages in Ireland as it's quite literally always been on the dominant standard. ESB adopted 220/380V 50Hz very early and that happened to also become to basis of the standard that developed across Europe and much of the globe.

The tweak to nominal 230/400V was just too accommodate the slightly higher UK voltage in the EU standards.

So you'll never encounter legacy split phase or other odd multiphase standards in Ireland. Rather boringly, it's about as standard as you'll get.

Within certain sites we can occasionally see different voltages. For example 3 phase 690V supplies are used in a certain semiconductor plant in Co. Kildare.

Isn't 690V is just the star version of 400V delta 3 phase though? - Used to be 380/660V now 400/690V still fully DIN/CEN/CENELEC/IEC stuff.

It just isn't likely to be encountered outside of specific circumstances.

We've nothing genuinely weird. Although I heard mention that ESB had 200V 50Hz in the Phoenix Park until the early 2000s.
    The 5kV/200v system was a standard established in the centre city area from pre-ESB days. Gradually, the network was upgraded to 10kV, until the 1970s, when only the area within the Phoenix Park remained fed at 5kV. Over the last 10 years, customers in Arás an Uachtarain, American Legation, Ordnance Survey of Ireland and Dublin Zoo have been upgraded to 10kV through the work of Construction Central and Network Projects Departments.

The transformer dated from 1927! So the president had to make do with dim lights ;)

The UK only harmonised on 240V / 415V in the 1970s. You'll find a heap of different voltages in use before then. 200, 210, 220, 230 and 240 AC and DC was also in use in some narrow areas in the 60s! Why they decided to harmonize of a different voltages to the rest of Europe just as they were joining the EEC is another question probably best answered by referring to Brexit and island mentality.

You also had various now obsolete three wire hook ups.

Isn't 690V is just the star version of 400V delta 3 phase though? - Used to be 380/660V now 400/690V still fully DIN/CEN/CENELEC/IEC stuff.

Slightly backwards there or something.

400v 3 phase gives 400v phase to phase, and 230v phase to N or star point.
    A motor connected in delta has 400v across windings, in star 230v.

If a 690v 3 phase system is in use, it gives 400v phase to neutral.
    So a motor connected in delta would have 690v across its windings, and 400v in star.

Rarely encountered outside heavy industry (of which we don't have many) so not that familiar with it.

Still part of normal standards though.

Only other "odd" systems in use here are the DC system for DART (1500V DC) and Luas (750V DC)

They're both off-the-shelf systems though too. You'll find plenty of 1500V DC non high speed trains around Europe and Luas is a totally standard Alstom 'Citadis' tram system. They didn't use any odd systems for it at all.

Even Irish Rail seems to have always avoided strange on board railway voltages and systems used in many countries, in favour of simple, bog standard 230/400V 50Hz.

I assume you can basically just use a transformer from a MV connection to deliver unusual voltages though for huge motors I know some of the really huge ones used in mining and so on can run at at MV.

• Advertisement

Rarely encountered outside heavy industry (of which we don't have many) so not that familiar with it.

Heavy industry is bread and butter for many of us!
    But you are correct it doesn't occur outside of that.
    Still part of normal standards though.

Sure, but it is just an example of another 3 phase LV voltage in use in the ROI.
    I assume you can basically just use a transformer from a MV connection to deliver unusual voltages though for huge motors

You are correct, here is an example of this that I came across.
    I know some of the really huge ones used in mining and so on can run at at MV.

Yes I worked on some 10kV motors in a refinery in the Netherlands a long time ago.

Advertisement