Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    O donnell was nominated for 7s player of the year in 2018, hope he can bring that to 15s. Papalii looks powerful and pacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    I'd say Papali'i is squad depth and not much more based on his track record.

Sevens players are always an unknown quantity but Porch has worked out well, and if Friend has coached O'Donnell before then that's grounds for optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Was there not talk of Dalton Papali’i signing? Or did I get that wrong and it was always this Abraham Papali’i? I suppose given Dalton was capped I’m probably totally wrong

Dalton is a 7 so wouldn’t really have made too much sense and as thing stands he’s probably going to be in the next abs extended squad, only 22/23 too be hard to convince him to pick up and leave

Bit torn on the decision to sign Odonnell, he’s a decent player but you’d have to wonder when looking at the 7s is he better than Jordan conroy? Probably not.. have to remember the season conroy was in with Connacht Kieran Keane was in charge and think it’s safe to say no1 improved under him.. just think if we’re going to be gambling on a 7s player let’s not choose an Aussie player when there’s Irish ones such as conroy or jack Kelly or terry Kennedy available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    Bit torn on the decision to sign Odonnell, he’s a decent player but you’d have to wonder when looking at the 7s is he better than Jordan conroy? Probably not.. have to remember the season conroy was in with Connacht Kieran Keane was in charge and think it’s safe to say no1 improved under him.. just think if we’re going to be gambling on a 7s player let’s not choose an Aussie player when there’s Irish ones such as conroy or jack Kelly or terry Kennedy available

I hear you, but who says they are available? Those lads mentioned might not be interested in signing with a province. I'd have loved Jack Kelly but I haven't heard anything from any of them about wanting to change over. Any idea when the sevens will be restarted? After Xmas or before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

If I was Jordan Conroy I'd be prefer travelling the world as an elite 7s player over coming back to Ireland to battle it out for Pro14 minutes. Maybe he doesn't want to play 15s? Nigel Carolan would be more than familiar with him and I'm sure could make a case for his signing if he rated him.

Jack Carty disagrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Jack Carty disagrees

Shane Delahunt went really well that season too and was on Joe Schmidt's radar.

Mul, it's over

He's a big man. Most of the footage seems to have been from wet conditions so hopefully he'll be okay in Galway!
    Some hit about the 2.20 mark

**That link worked for me, hopefully it does for ye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47923298252894b884b75a2fdea8d21fb5f74f3dcd&rid=giphy.gif

I'm a happy man.
    Kiwi n°8 is exactly what I wanted
    Not a name, but an effective ball-carrier, who runs fast and offloads. I'm deeplly convinced he will be a starter, and crowd-favorite with fend-offs. Naoupu 2.0, finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    O’Donnell is currently injured according to twitter? Aussie 7s journos and fans seem to think he will be very good at 15s fwiw.

Second signing looks like a punt. Sometimes the gamble pays off (Fox Matamua, even if injury kind of halted his progress) sometimes not (Api Pewhairangi).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ClanofLams wrote: »
    O’Donnell is currently injured according to twitter? Aussie 7s journos and fans seem to think he will be very good at 15s fwiw.

Second signing looks like a punt. Sometimes the gamble pays off (Fox Matamua, even if injury kind of halted his progress) sometimes not (Api Pewhairangi).

He did his ACL back in January, supposed to be a year of rehab (at least from what he was saying in interviews), so it'll be into 2021 before he gets any game time you'd imagine unless he flies through his rehab.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    Papali'i looks like a strong runner with an offloading game..... however he'd want to learn quickly about tackling lower from the clip ive just watched. pretty much all of the clips of him owning the tackle would see him getting red these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Murray Kinsella mentioned conditioning could be an issue for him, only managed 50 mins in his 3 starts apparently.

Nothing a few months of Johnny O'Connor scaring the everliving **** out of him can't solve hopefully.

macslash wrote: »

He's a big man. Most of the footage seems to have been from wet conditions so hopefully he'll be okay in Galway!
    Some hit about the 2.20 mark

**That link worked for me, hopefully it does for ye too.

Not convinced looks like he’s playing equivalent to ail 2b in them videos, standing out but the standard doesn’t look great

Are they joining (as I predicted) only for new season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella mentioned conditioning could be an issue for him, only managed 50 mins in his 3 starts apparently.

Nothing a few months of Johnny O'Connor scaring the everliving **** out of him can't solve hopefully.

They have to do 14 day quarantine when they arrive too? So how likely are they to arrive before the interpros next month?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    They have to do 14 day quarantine when they arrive too? So how likely are they to arrive before the interpros next month?

They're joining for the 20/21 season so that'll be fine

Mul, it's over
    Not convinced looks like he’s playing equivalent to ail 2b in them videos, standing out but the standard doesn’t look great

Ya that's true but that video is from about a year ago so the footage is old. He is a punt as many have said so hopefully he works out. Didn't realise that BOD (ya he goes by that apparently!) was injured. Hopefully nothing too long term. It'll be Oct I'm guessing before the new season hopefully* starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

macslash wrote: »
    Ya that's true but that video is from about a year ago so the footage is old. He is a punt as many have said so hopefully he works out. Didn't realise that BOD (ya he goes by that apparently!) was injured. Hopefully nothing too long term. It'll be Oct I'm guessing before the new season hopefully* starts?

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/30/sevens-bod-injury

Link above to his injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Mul, it's over
    He did his ACL back in January, supposed to be a year of rehab (at least from what he was saying in interviews), so it'll be into 2021 before he gets any game time you'd imagine unless he flies through his rehab.

Hang on. We signed a back three player who's done his cruciate and is out for the foreseeable?

That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hang on. We signed a back three player who's done his cruciate and is out for the foreseeable?

That doesn't sound like a good idea.

He should be fit in October, 9 months rehab

"I had a bit of a run of injuries at the back-end of my league career and I thought I would try something different. I wasn't enjoying [league] when you have injuries. So, I needed a change and to have some fun again," Papali'i said.

He struggled at first with the transition to rugby, but it wasn't because of the differences between the two codes.

Source: nzherald.co.nz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

connachta wrote: »
    He should be fit in October, 9 months rehab

Interview with him at the end of March said he still had 9 months of rehab left to go

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/sevens/tokyo-2021-olympics-ben-odonnell-australian-rugby-sevens/news-story/b9b7a6c157b94fc3f5dbfe3fd6f4db76

FFS, hope it's just based on the "theorical maximum" (12 months)

That was indeed "club" games.
    But Mitre 10 is another kind of level

Stats vs Southland last October

9 runs
    97 meters gained!
    3 clean breaks
    9 defenders beaten
    2 offloads

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    Ah this Papali'i guy is a squad player and little else. He'll have been very cheap so it's a low risk signing but Pro14 will be a big step up for him. This is basically his first time as a pro rugby player at age 27.

But no harm, a bit more depth and he might surprise us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He certainly won't be intimdated by the shadow of Copeland's massive contribution. Probably a quarter of the cost too.

Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|Duggan
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Murphy|Tierney-Martin
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier| Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux| Dowling | Thornbury
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury| Gallagher| Murray| Roux
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|E.Masterson | Dowling| Gallagher
    Openside Flanker|Butler|Oliver| S.Masterson | Boyle
    n°8 | SOB|Papali'i | E.Masterson| Butler
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | Reilly
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean| Daly
    11 | Healy | Porsh | O'Donnell | Sullivan
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly| Arnold
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|SOB 2.0 | Aki
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Wootton | Porsh | De Buitlear
    15 | TOH|Wootton | McNulty | S.Fitz

We're all-right.

Daly has to be prepared to play 10 as he did when young.
    2 injuries and he will be used here as utility 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Position |1st |2nd|3rd| 4th
    LH Prop|Buckley|McAllister|M.Burke|Duggan
    Hooker|Heffernan|Delahunt|Murphy|Tierney-Martin
    TH Prop|Bealham|McCoy|Aungier| Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row|Dillane|Roux| Dowling | Thornbury
    n°5 2nd Row|Thornbury| Gallagher| Murray| Roux
    Blindside Flanker|Boyle|E.Masterson | Dowling| Gallagher
    Openside Flanker|Butler|Oliver| S.Masterson | Boyle
    n°8 | SOB|Papali'i | E.Masterson| Butler
    SH | Marmion | Blade | Kerrins | Reilly
    OH |Carty|Fitzgerald|Dean| Daly
    11 | Healy | Porsh | O'Donnell | Sullivan
    Inside Centre|Aki|Robb|Daly| Arnold
    Outside Centre|Farrell|Arnold|SOB 2.0 | Aki
    14 | S.Fitzgerald | Wootton | Porsh | De Buitlear
    15 | TOH|Wootton | McNulty | S.Fitz

We're all-right.

Daly has to be prepared to play 10 as he did when young.
    2 injuries and he will be used here as utility 22.

You're back row is all mixed up IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement