Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Agree it's not radical and firm element, but still gives indication. Earls is a better tackler than Lowe. Who has other qualities

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Agree it's not radical and firm element, but still gives indication. Earls is a better tackler than Lowe. Who has other qualities

Not disagreeing that earls is a better tackler but he also often steps in at 13 which would increase these stats.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Not disagreeing that earls is a better tackler but he also often steps in at 13 which would increase these stats.

I've tried to limit those biais (not including McFadden for exemple)
    Earls hasn't played 13 much in the past 3 seasons, has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 _nobody_

Is anybody else not getting season ticket emails?

I hadn't yet renewed mine, and had seen the deadline was pushed out to COVID. But didn't get anything about the planned refunds, or new signings. I assume it is because not on the system for 20/21 but seems very abrupt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    _nobody_ wrote: »

I hadn't yet renewed mine, and had seen the deadline was pushed out to COVID. But didn't get anything about the planned refunds, or new signings. I assume it is because not on the system for 20/21 but seems very abrupt.

Connacht e-mailed about an 1885 club in lieu of refunds for this season during the week and will be emailing about 20/21 next week if I remember the email properly

• Advertisement

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Gavin Thornbury
    5. Quinn Roux
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O'Halloran
    16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Paddy McAllister
    18. Dom Robertson-McCoy
    19. Ultan Dillane
    20. Eoghan Masterson
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Conor Fitzgerald
    23. Sam Arnold

We can be desappointed for good guys leaving, but in the end it's brillant to notice the 12 having left would have had no room in this 23 (except maybe Godwin as 23 but I think Sam Arnold would be up to the level).

So yes we still need a big n°8, but so we did last year.

My point is departures are not "poached" players, and do not weaken our main 23.
    The thing is about young recruit being as good squad players as McKeon, Niyi, Copeland etc. Nothing impossible for Oliver, Wootton, Dowling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Presume you forgot Fainga’a because he would definitely start. Given how much Aki is unavailable and the odd rest/injury for Farrell, Godwin was effectively first choice and will be a big loss.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Presume you forgot Fainga’a because he would definitely start. Given how much Aki is unavailable and the odd rest/injury for Farrell, Godwin was effectively first choice and will be a big loss.

I think Arnold will prove to be as good as him. Irish cap for a reason

For Fainga'a, Butler is "poised" to be move to 7.

If we have that quality and more massive n°8, and SOB less injured to provide competion for 6/8/19/20, I do think we won't loss and even have a well balanced back-row

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    I think Arnold will prove to be as good as him. Irish cap for a reason

For Fainga'a, Butler is "poised" to be move to 7.

If we have that quality and more massive n°8, and SOB less injured to provide competion for 6/8/19/20, I do think we won't loss and even have a well balanced back-row

Fainga’a was one of the best, if not the best, Connacht player of the last two seasons. He would absolutely start for Connacht, regardless of who is moving to 7.

An awful lot of players have one Irish cap. Arnold is in the Peter Robb mould from what I have seen and I’m not sure he will be ahead of Robb.

Maybe the new additions will work out but at the moment it’s difficult not to see a weaker XV with even bigger depth issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Arnolds much better than Robb.

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Arnolds much better than Robb.

Maybe, but I will be surprised if can match the consistent quality of Godwin, particularly given his injury profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Maybe, but I will be surprised if can match the consistent quality of Godwin, particularly given his injury profile.

yeah dunno if he will fill Godwins role, more than likely not.

Fainga’a was one of the best, if not the best, Connacht player of the last two seasons. He would absolutely start for Connacht, regardless of who is moving to 7.

An awful lot of players have one Irish cap. Arnold is in the Peter Robb mould from what I have seen and I’m not sure he will be ahead of Robb.

Maybe the new additions will work out but at the moment it’s difficult not to see a weaker XV with even bigger depth issues.

We disagree. Put Fainga'a aside, the 23 is the same level, not weaker

Butler may well be as good as Fainga'a, at 7 too, 2 of the best we recruited

being like Robb (with better hands) is certainly not a problem

6) Boyle (with one more year)/SOB (in a lasting break with injuries)
    7) Butler/Oliver (a very decent player)
    8) The new n°8/MastersonS

If we have this Weise/R.Leota kind of signing, that's more balanced and not weaker than what we had imo.

And if you read the Friend/Linley words, we'll sign one last guy at least, it will be this n°8 without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

_nobody_ wrote: »

All of my emails from Connacht go to junk for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I see Bristol have appointed a new defence coach, is Mul's tenure over then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    No. Their forwards coach moved to Worcester ahead of next season and was announced in November that Mul was moving to be forwards coach

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Bazzo wrote: »

He's now the forwards coach: https://www.bristolbearsrugby.com/teams/coaching/john-muldoon/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    A number 8 and a back 3.
    Just what the doctor ordered.
    BEN O'DONNELL | ABRAHAM PAPALI'I

Ben O’Donnell joins from the Australian Sevens programme, having played 95 matches for his country since he was handed his debut in 2017 under Andy Friend.

O’Donnell was voted Australian Sevens Player of the year in 2018 and subsequently went on to be the first Australian player ever nominated for the World Sevens Player of the Year.

New Zealander Abraham Papali’i arrives from Bay of Plenty where he was a key member of the squad that won the Mitre 10 Cup Championship last year.

The 6'4'' number 8 is a duel code player, featuring for the Sydney Roosters in the Australian National Rugby League and French club Lézignan Sangliers before restarting his Rugby Union career with Bay of Plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Good news. That makes it 41 senior players by my count so that's sufficient. I assume those are one year deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Dual code players have never worked out for us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My 7's knowledge is non-existent but seemingly O'Donnell is giving up on the delayed Olympics next year to sign for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Matthew Burke (23) - Signed contract in 2019
    Jordan Duggan (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Paddy McAllister (31) - Signed contract in 2019

Charlie Ward (20) - Academy year 1

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Finlay Bealham (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Kenny (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (26) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dave Heffernan (29) - Signed contract in 2019
    Jonny Murphy (28) - Signed contract in 2018

Declan Adamson (21) - Academy year 2
    Eoin De Buitléar (u20) - Academy year 1
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (21) - Academy year 3

Lock

Ultan Dillane (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Oisin Dowling (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Cillian Gallagher (23) - Signed contract in 2018
    Niall Murray (20) - Signed contract in 2020
    Quinn Roux (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Gavin Thornbury (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019

Darragh Murray (u20) - Academy year 1
    Cian Prendergast (20) - Academy year 1

Back row

Paul Boyle (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Jarrad Butler (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Eoghan Masterson (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2018
    Sean Masterson (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Sean O'Brien (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Conor Oliver (24) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Abraham Papali’i (27) - Signed contract in 2020

Ciaran Booth (20) - Academy year 1
    Donnacha Byrne (u20) - Academy year 1
    Hubert Costello (u20) - Academy year 1
    Joshua Dunne (20) - Academy year 3
    Oisin McCormack (19) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Stephen Kerins (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Kieran Marmion (28) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020
    Colm Reilly (21) - Signed contract in 2020

Outhalf

Jack Carty (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2019
    Conor Dean (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Conor Fitzgerald (22) - Signed contract in 2019

Cathal Forde (19) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (28) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
    Sammy Arnold (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Daly (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Farrell (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Peter Robb (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Shane Jennings (19) - Academy year 2
    Sean O'Brien (22) - Academy year 3

Back 3

Stephen Fitzgerald (24) - Signed contract in 2019
    Matt Healy (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Ben O'Donnell (25) - Signed contract in 2020
    Tiernan O'Halloran (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (26) - Signed contract in 2019
    Peter Sullivan (22) - Signed contract in 2020
    Alex Wootton (26) - Signed 1 year loan contract in 2020

Colm de Buitléar (22) - Academy year 3
    Oran McNulty (20) - Academy year 3

In: Jordan Duggan (Academy),Jack Aungier (Leinster), Oisin Dowling (Leinster), Niall Murray (Academy), Sean Masterson (Academy), Conor Oliver (Munster), Abraham Papali'i (Bay of Plenty), Colm Reilly (Academy), Conor Dean (Academy), Sammy Arnold (Munster), Ben O'Donnell (Australia Sevens), Peter Sullivan (Academy), ALex Wootton (Munster, loan)
    Out: Peter Mccabe, Rory Burke, Tom McCartney (Retiring), Joe Maksimyw (Dragons), Robin Copeland (Soyaux Angouleme), Colby Fainga'a (Lyon), Eoin McKeon, Angus Lloyd (Retiring), Dave Horwitz, Kyle Godwin (Western Force), Niyi Adeolokun, Darragh Leader

Good news. That makes it 41 senior players by my count so that's sufficient. I assume those are one year deals?

43 senior players. Porch got a two year deal out of the sevens program so maybe O'Donnell got similar. Hope Papali'i is a one year deal as he seems to be a bit of a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    43 is the same as Munster so I imagine those are the final signings.

I'm torn on the Papali'i signing. I've been saying for ages that we should sign a physical specimen for the back row and back our coaches to train him up like they did with Robertson-McCoy, but Papali'i isn't exactly young.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm torn on the Papali'i signing. I've been saying for ages that we should sign a physical specimen for the back row and back our coaches to train him up like they did with Robertson-McCoy, but Papali'i isn't exactly young.

What ages are they both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Zzippy wrote: »
    What ages are they both?

25 O'Donnell
    27 Papali'i

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Was there not talk of Dalton Papali’i signing? Or did I get that wrong and it was always this Abraham Papali’i? I suppose given Dalton was capped I’m probably totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

A number 8 and a back 3.
    It's up on the Connacht website now. Some quotes:
    I got to know Ben very well on the Australian Sevens scene. It did not surprise me that he went on to become such an important player for them and I am thrilled that he has chosen to join Connacht.

Abraham is a powerful number 8 who has all the attributes to become a really valuable player for us while furthering our options in the back row. I know every Connacht supporter will be excited to see what he can offer.
    These signings bring our squad up to 43 players for next season. We have freshened up and added depth to our squad in a number of key areas, having signed a healthy blend of young exciting players who have come through our Academy system as well as bringing in some additional quality and experience from further afield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Probably as good as could be expected given the circumstances. O'Donnell seems to have done well with the 7s, if he adapts as well as Porch we'll have done very well. Papali'i is exactly the physical specimen we need, fingers crossed he comes good also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement