Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lucreto wrote: »
    IT'S ALL OVER PEOPLE, WE DON'T HAVE A PRAYER!

(Wish I knew how to post gifs)

As I said a couple of days ago it's a dangling carrot situation. The cold is always 2 weeks away. I think it's worse this year after last year's snow. It was expected to be cold on long range forecasts, the early frost in October kind of re-enforce that feeling and the really low sunspot activity last year had some expecting snowy dividends this winter.

To me it reminds me of Winter 2011. After 2010 there was an expectation but the winter was mild overall.
    😂😂😂 really!!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Beautiful morning in east county Galway. No frost but clear blue skies and crisp air. Birds singing. I’ll take it, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Lucreto wrote: »
    IT'S ALL OVER PEOPLE, WE DON'T HAVE A PRAYER!

(Wish I knew how to post gifs)

As I said a couple of days ago it's a dangling carrot situation. The cold is always 2 weeks away. I think it's worse this year after last year's snow. It was expected to be cold on long range forecasts, the early frost in October kind of re-enforce that feeling and the really low sunspot activity last year had some expecting snowy dividends this winter.

To me it reminds me of Winter 2011. After 2010 there was an expectation but the winter was mild overall.
    raf,750x1000,075,t,heather_grey.u2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

9 degrees leaving for work yesterday morning, 5 degrees today. That's winter enough for now for me, snow or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Well if the rest of this winter season does end up being free of snow or significantly cold weather, the only consolation for the cold lovers is that Winter 2019-2020 is getting closer every day so they can at least start looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Shannon Entropy
    Expect some wild swings for a bit yet

Some light reading here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool 3 degrees at Knock at 1030

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A cool 3 degrees at Knock at 1030

Just checked met ie and found the same for here..bitter cold and dramatic skies in all shades of ominous dark blue ... and a wind warning
    for Cork and Kerry

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork and Kerry
    West to Northwest winds will reach mean speed between 50 and 65km/h with gusts up to 90km/h. Winds strongest along coasts.

Issued: Tuesday 15 January 2019 20:00

Updated: Tuesday 15 January 2019 20:00

Valid from Wednesday 16 January 2019 12:00 to Wednesday 16 January 2019 17:00

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cold.Dark.Wet.Hailstones.

Give me the dull mild dry weather of the past few weeks anyday

km79 wrote: »

amen to that! Fat chance!

looking to the right, turf smoke curling out of a chimney; to the left, the same. So my neighbours are OK and they can see turf smoke curling from my chimney... Icy cold deluge again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Well if the rest of this winter season does end up being free of snow or significantly cold weather, the only consolation for the cold lovers is that Winter 2019-2020 is getting closer every day so they can at least start looking forward to that.

Lets have Spring,Summer and Autumn first please.
    The 3 best season of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a definite downgrade this morning, let's see what the models bring over the next few days, if the ECM continues without any real cold along with the GFS then it will be more obvious we won't be seeing proper cold this January. There is still time for something interesting to happen in February of course so all hope isn't lost just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Shannon Entropy
    Expect some wild swings for a bit yet

Some light reading here :D

Good god, just read the first few lines of that and my head still hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »

Meanwhile, beautifully sunny and cold in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Went for a 1 hour walk and what a glorious day it is. Blue Skies, dazzling sunshine, a healthy fresh breeze and feeling cold in a good way. A Total change of scene from the past 10 weeks and a very welcome change. It's starting to feel a little bit more like winter.

wild, icy cold, squally, wet, mud... even thunder..west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Could any of the experienced guys report back, is it game over for next week or should we await the 12zs

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

We had one month of unrelenting dreary muck. Not a sliver of sunshine. I heartily welcome this refreshing change.

It's been pitch dark for most of day
    No sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny in cork till this afternoon, now some very black clouds appearing and the wind is picking up a la the yellow warning. Bitterly cold wind too my hands were sore from it walking home. Time to get out the gloves! What a change a day makes!

suddenly gone dark here now, starting to rain. Looks to be plenty of rain and hail showers across the country, some wintryness across high ground in the north-west.

• Advertisement

sound effects of rain, thunder and now the tide full in and crashing the rocks together on the shore just across the back field... noisy !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny in cork till this afternoon, now some very black clouds appearing and the wind is picking up a la the yellow warning. Bitterly cold wind too my hands were sore from it walking home. Time to get out the gloves! What a change a day makes!

Warning gone for cork! Only Kerry now.

Has been lovely not to feel cold all the time, but now back to chill... was a lovely mild Christmas!

banshee is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Could any of the experienced guys report back, is it game over for next week or should we await the 12zs

The way I see it, it is not over for next week ( more so later next week is certainly not decided yet). I'm sure there will be plenty more up a and downs to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

The way I see it, it is not over for next week ( more so later next week is certainly not decided yet). I'm sure there will be plenty more ups and downs to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I get the feeling we are going to be looking north east rather than north west in about 12 days time. The current high just isn't able to make it far enough north to prevent the Altantic toppling in over it. That's why i thought the scenario from the GFS last night was more plausible.
    It looks set to be cold zonal for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Gfs / Ecm 12z will more than likely be fairly similar to this morning runs. Looking at NAO most members going positive till the end of the month so potential for a blocking has diminished

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

My snow shovel arrived this morning from Amazon. I fully shoulder the blame for the bad charts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I definitely remember from last years event that it was expected earlier in February according to the charts. My in-laws were in South America, and we expected them to get stuck because of the forecasts, It snowed a week after they got home. Could possibly go that way this year as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

novarock wrote: »
    My snow shovel arrived this morning from Amazon. I fully shoulder the blame for the bad charts...

And so you should.

Advertisement