Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jogdish wrote: »
    You just need to say "stop" to shut the alarm off, no hey google needed - rolling out to all English locations according to Google.

Just the alarm or will this work with timers also?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Anybody having issues with sleep timers. Have a couple of routines that use them and it would normally just run the routines, generally playing music or sleep sounds, and would then just stop playing at the desired time interval. Now when a sleep timer it set when it reaches that time an alarm/timer sound sounds (scaring the byjasus out of you when dozzing off) and the music/sleep sound continues playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Just the alarm or will this work with timers also?

worked for me with a countdown timer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi lads

Currently use the time tree app with wife as a shared calendar but want to use one that will appear on home hub screen and Google home in general.

Anyone use a shared calendar compatible with GH?

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi lads

Currently use the time tree app with wife as a shared calendar but want to use one that will appear on home hub screen and Google home in general.

Google Calendar will do this, if you both use it. You can also have a family calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yep, there's nothing that will work even remotely as well. It's made to work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Hi lads

Um... google calendar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi all,

Has anyone had success getting a home mini working with android tv?

It can only do basic commands like mute the TV.

I was hoping to play netflix and power on and off the TV etc

Surely I don't have to buy a chromecast even though its built into android tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Control of Android TV from Google Home has been hit and miss since the beginning. Apparently the status at the moment is that Google Home can control an Android TV that already has Google Assistant built in, but I have found that this does not always work. And that's just for basic functions like Power On and volume. Then the apps on the TV have to be enabled for Home control, so Youtube works but at the moment Netflix doesn't. Then they had the privacy issues with Photos, so they turned that function off. Functionality also varies by platform, so what works for Nvidia Shield may not work on a Sony TV. Anyway, it continues to change and there's no easy way to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a bit f a mess.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

RunDMC wrote: »
    Control of Android TV from Google Home has been hit and miss since the beginning. Apparently the status at the moment is that Google Home can control an Android TV that already has Google Assistant built in, but I have found that this does not always work. And that's just for basic functions like Power On and volume. Then the apps on the TV have to be enabled for Home control, so Youtube works but at the moment Netflix doesn't. Then they had the privacy issues with Photos, so they turned that function off. Functionality also varies by platform, so what works for Nvidia Shield may not work on a Sony TV. Anyway, it continues to change and there's no easy way to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a bit f a mess.

R

Thanks for that I might end up just getting a chromecast, hopefully it will resolve the issue

• Advertisement

Anyone else's switch from US to UK voice across all devices today? I can't change it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Anyone else's switch from US to UK voice across all devices today? I can't change it back.

Had the opposite issue! I'm guessing your phone updated. Change the phones language to English (US) and the language on the home app to the same, then you should get the option in the home app to change the voice. Only comes up with both languages as US English. It's irritating, confusing, and awkward and took me about 40 minutes to work out this afternoon!

Had the opposite issue! I'm guessing your phone updated. Change the phones language to English (US) and the language on the home app to the same, then you should get the option in the home app to change the voice. Only comes up with both languages as US English. It's irritating, confusing, and awkward and took me about 40 minutes to work out this afternoon!

No updates on the phone. Weirdly my phone changed at some stage on the M11 on the way home as I noticed it speaking back in UK using Android auto but the Mrs said the kitchen display spoke UK back to her when setting a timer before I got home.

I have the phone in US, I've the language in the home app in US and I've the voice back to the US male I always used (this was the only one I found changed) and they're all still talking back to me in the default female UK. Very odd.

No updates on the phone. Weirdly my phone changed at some stage on the M11 on the way home as I noticed it speaking back in UK using Android auto but the Mrs said the kitchen display spoke UK back to her when setting a timer before I got home.

I have the phone in US, I've the language in the home app in US and I've the voice back to the US male I always used (this was the only one I found changed) and they're all still talking back to me in the default female UK. Very odd.

Could be some bug, It was answering me in US, but there were some hangs and the error reports came through in UK.

I'll give it to the weekend and reset them all if no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same issue here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Could be some bug, It was answering me in US, but there were some hangs and the error reports came through in UK.

Same thing for me. My Philips Hue aren’t working via Google Home for some reason and she answers about that in UK. But responds to usual requests in US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭jones

nialldinho wrote:
    Same thing for me. My Philips Hue aren’t working via Google Home for some reason and she answers about that in UK. But responds to usual requests in US

I'd the same this evening with UK voice. Phillips hue is working though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought it was just me!

• Advertisement

I see my Play Store has reverted to the old style too. Not sure if it's related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Same issue with me. It's also not remembering my routines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

nialldinho wrote: »

Mine’s gone full UK everything as of this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

RockDesk wrote: »
    Same issue with me. It's also not remembering my routines.

I noticed this last night also - have a routine to set a bunch of alarms with a single command (I'm a serial-snoozer!), and it took my words at face value instead of triggering the routine (which was working just fine the night before)

I hope this isn't the start of forcing region on us rather than being able to pick. Doesn't half the stuff not work unless you're US?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm having the same issues as above. I had it all set to US and then the last few days found that it was reverting to UK female voice for certain things. Now it's UK for everything. My routines aren't working and I can no longer set up music alarms (which is the main reason I switched it to the US in the first place). I'm gutted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

I just got onto chat and this was the reply.

Russell12:09 PM
    Actually, those are issues that are being investigated by our team. Most of our customer are also having that kind of issue.
    Russell12:09 PM
    But no worries, out team is already taking action for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Routines did not work for me last night. Hopefully it's fixed soon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Can't abide the English accent on the google, they better fix it. I'd pay good money for a latin American female accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭jones

I just want Jarvis or Gandalf or some such

Just noticed that it had also disabled the beep when I said OK google. Weird. Also Majel Barrett. Or KITT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/06/google-homes-are-having-an-identity-crisis-as-assistant-mixes-us-and-british-accents/

No solution but good to hear it's somewhat widespread, we might see a solution soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/06/google-homes-are-having-an-identity-crisis-as-assistant-mixes-us-and-british-accents/

No solution but good to hear it's somewhat widespread, we might see a solution soon enough.

Me talking lady is now a Brit innit :)

Caught me off guard yesterday, I will admit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Just noticed that it had also disabled the beep when I said OK google. Weird. Also Majel Barrett. Or KITT!

+1 for Majel Barrett. When I used Alexa I had changed the wake word to "computer" and her voice would have been the icing on the cake!

Jaysus I'd love Kitt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

My routines are back working

fletch wrote: »
    My routines are back working

The accent of opression is gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

We have a Spanish student staying with us in a few weeks.
    Will GH pick up his questions in Spanish and provide an answer in Spanish?
    We are wondering if he can ask GH to translate something by saying it in Spanish and it will respond in English!

We have language set to US (for the main account holder in the house - so we get the extra features) and the response is in US male voice.
    However if a guest uses it at the moment then GH responds in a UK female voice

Anyone have any experience of a foreign language user?

We have a Spanish student staying with us in a few weeks.
    Will GH pick up his questions in Spanish and provide an answer in Spanish?
    We are wondering if he can ask GH to translate something by saying it in Spanish and it will respond in English!

We have language set to US (for the main account holder in the house - so we get the extra features) and the response is in US male voice.
    However if a guest uses it at the moment then GH responds in a UK female voice

Anyone have any experience of a foreign language user?

You have to add Spanish as a second language. However, it will only respond to the question in the language asked and it sometimes gets confused between the languages and will respond in the wrong tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

You have to add Spanish as a second language. However, it will only respond to the question in the language asked and it sometimes gets confused between the languages and will respond in the wrong tongue.

Will try it out and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pcrots

I used to have routines on my Google Home App on android phone but about 6 months ago it disappeared after an app update and hasn't come back in spite of a number of app updated since. The routines I had set up still worked for a couple of months after but then stopped. My wife has routines as an option on her Apple google home app. Any idea what I can do to get my routines back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

Anyone else's Google Home acting weird over the last couple of days? Mine can't even tell me the time right now, all I get is "Sorry I don't know how to help with that but I'm still learning".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

pcrots wrote: »
    I used to have routines on my Google Home App on android phone but about 6 months ago it disappeared after an app update and hasn't come back in spite of a number of app updated since. The routines I had set up still worked for a couple of months after but then stopped. My wife has routines as an option on her Apple google home app. Any idea what I can do to get my routines back?

When we first got Google Home my wife had routines but I didn't and couldn't figure out why, I uninstalled and re-installed and nothing. I eventually figured out the reason that she had them was her phone didn't have the option of setting the language to English (Ireland) so her language was English (UK). I changed mine to English (UK), and did the same in Google Home and I had routines straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I got a Google Nest Hello last week. I believe when someone presses the bell it's meant to announce it over the Google Home devices but mine doesn't seem to do that. Any ideas why?

Nevermind I figured it out.

KingCong wrote: »
    Anyone else's Google Home acting weird over the last couple of days? Mine can't even tell me the time right now, all I get is "Sorry I don't know how to help with that but I'm still learning".

My Lenovo Smart Display stopped understanding me, kind of. You can see the words come up on the screen in dribs and drabs but they never form a sentence and it just goes back to waiting with no response at all. It's working ok for the Mrs but even after I set up my voice match again it's not working, though after setting it again it show's my photo so it recognises it's me, but can't seem to form the sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

My Lenovo Smart Display stopped understanding me, kind of. You can see the words come up on the screen in dribs and drabs but they never form a sentence and it just goes back to waiting with no response at all. It's working ok for the Mrs but even after I set up my voice match again it's not working, though after setting it again it show's my photo so it recognises it's me, but can't seem to form the sentence.

Mine has been doing this since yesterday, it rarely gets my routines.

Google home seems to be a complete mess the last few months. what the hell is going on there at all

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

I've had this with a smart display too - for me, repeating my words works second time round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Anyone finding Google just slower?

Playing radio, answering requestions all seem to be taking a few seconds longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Strange one here, I've 4 units in total, the main unit in the kitchen/dining room, two in two different bedrooms and one in the garage/workshop (all minis with the exception of the main unit)

A while ago, I noticed the broadcast function wasn't really broadcasting except through the main unit.

Tonight, while trying to test out some Bluetooth headphones the young lad got, I noticed that his mini had disappeared from being on my home app.

Along with the other two minis, they're not listed at all anymore.

Strange thing is, they work perfectly except in their broadcasting abilities.

Tried all the usual (restarting routers etc) but nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭KingCong

jogdish wrote: »
    Anyone finding Google just slower?

Playing radio, answering requestions all seem to be taking a few seconds longer.

Yes same here. I fixed the issue I had with it not being able to answer basic questions like "what time is it" with a factory reset of my mini's, though now I seem to have lost control of my Android TV with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I'm glad i decided to read this thread, this is exactly the behaviour that i have been seeing on and off for at least 3 weeks, maybe more. Its like the lenovo is listening, but the words dont come up, or lese you have to put your mouth almost to its screen. Then a bit later, it could be fine. I was assuming that it was a hardware fault, now it appears that it may not be at all.

Its also sometimes not responding well to others in the house, but it will be to me, or vice versa. Trying to turn lights on yesterday was bizarre, it just would not do it, but pulling down the lights menu from the top and doing it manually was fine.

Advertisement