Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cormac O hEadhra/ Saturday View RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

did anyone hear Wednesday night's Late Date, and the showdown between Elaine Byrne and Cormac ? hEadhra?

Byrne was speaking over other people all night, and even seemed to assume the position of interviewer, arduously musclining in on Cormac's phone interview with a member of St Vincent's hospital Board.

When ? hEadhra threatened that he was 'damn near' throwing Elaine Byrne and Mattie McGrath out of the studio for noisy bickering, Elaine Byrne assumed Victim Mode, and railed about how badly she was treated by ? hEadhra in tge past, and how on a previous panel, she had been 'rescued ' only by another female panellist.

Does anyone else get the impression that Elaine Byrne has a serious chip on her shoulder? Anytime she is criticised she seems to play the gender card, and imply that she is being mistreated because of her gender. It's so tiresome.

Cormac ? hEadhra is among the very best of RT? political hosts, and at the end of the show, he was big enough to apologise to Elaine Byrne and try to make light of her cringeworthy tantrum... I really fail to understand why she can't behave as civilly as other guests, both make and female, when she goes on radio and TV panels.

I saw a similar outburst from her on Vincent Browne and (I think) Claire Byrne... it's all a bit tedious.

In fairness she was dead right about the verbal diarrhoea coming out of Mattie McGraths mouth.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Cormac Ó hEadhra is among the very best of RTÉ political hosts..

Not sure I quite agree. He's just a bit too ready to thrust his opinion. Works OK on Late Debate format but I heard him last week for example interviewing some British politician in the morning and he was just too pushy and yer man put Cormac back in his box sharpish.

Maybe he's a good 'political host' but running a general purpose news programme requires more balance and poise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not sure I quite agree. He's just a bit too ready to thrust his opinion. Works OK on Late Debate format but I heard him last week for example interviewing some British politician in the morning and he was just too pushy and yer man put Cormac back in his box sharpish.

Maybe he's a good 'political host' but running a general purpose news programme requires more balance and poise.

Don't agree totally either, heard that interview with the British pol. and agree with your view.

Recently he seems to have lost a bit of control in the Late Debate where he lets a couple of 'mouths' for want of a better word take over and the 'debate' descends into unintellagable noise with Cormac vainly pleading for people to "Hang on now a minute".

Room for improvement I would say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Totally outclassed today by a retired judge today. He is a hippy communist and anti-American:D. Can RTE hire one right wing reporter or would that disqualify you from RTE?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus, what an unpleasant host. Constant interruption, an insistent tone of voice, probably thinks he is being dynamic rather than disruptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jasus, what an unpleasant host. Constant interruption, an insistent tone of voice, probably thinks he is being dynamic rather than disruptive.

And Claire Byrne never interrupted anyone???:confused:

and what about her? She's gone. Lets talk about hEadhra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cormac is excellent.
    He asks proper questions and keeps pressing until he gets answers.

It's not his fault Paul Kehoe FG & Brian Cowen FF are screaming at each other, and are excluding the other three guests and the host.

That's true, one of them (midlands?) was ludicrous as he elbowed his bailiwick into every aspect of the conversation. I though he was going to say "we have a port as well you know" at one point.

• Advertisement

Asks if there is a conflict of interest that our TDs are landlords, and both landlords Kehoe and Cowen shy away
    *squirm* *squirm*

Some slanging match there

Barry Cowen is a vocal bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

What a load of rubbish, he's one of the best hosts on radio at weekends doesn't give them wafflers free reign to keep talking crap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I like him. On the Late Debate their was usually free flowing conversation and he interjected at the right times. I did not notice much interruption today, certainly no more than you would find on any show like that. Some of the guests were a bit shouty, not much that can be done about that though.

Heard a bit of it, total shambles, roaring and shouting as every bull neck tried to be heard.

RTE as a corporate need to address these issues, where everyone roars and shouts just to get their voices heard.

Deaden mics or sommit.

But a wall of unintelligible crap is no good to the listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Not a fan as I find that he comes across as really argumentative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

He dosen't take much crap of his contributors but he does love to pronounce the hell out of his name a t every opportunity , a bit like Fiachna O' Branonain, OK you've an irish name ... get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

It’s actually O’ hEadhra. I think he’s a good, dynamic presenter.

It’s actually O’ hEadhra. I think he’s a good, dynamic presenter.
    Cormac Ó hEadhra, caller

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He's miles better than Katie Hannon. She appears to act like it's the Katie Hannon show rather than an actual current affairs debate programme.

• Advertisement

Lots of point scoring on panel today. Can’t believe I found something I agree with Jack O’Connor on-he complained that the host, Cormac is terrible at talking over guests...it’s no wonder everyone on the panel does the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Is this the same shouty interrupter host that was on the late debate? Utterly useless, but thinks he's getting a different insight by talking over his guests with "tricky" questions who then talk over him. It ends up just noise.

If you enjoy listening to actually squabbling good is the show to listen to. This fella should have been long put out to pasture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Cormac's issue is that he seems to have one speed - he runs this news slot just as he ran the Late Debate. A change of style wouldn't do any harm. Apart from that, I think he just does this one show a week now, whereas before he had 3 slots. Is that promotion or demotion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Listened to it under Cormac O hEadhra for the first time today. Thought he was excellent. Too often politicians are given excessive time to give banal political platitudes and allowed to control the interview. Not so with O hEadhra. I agree with the poster above saying he probably has to answer for the frequent interruptions between the guests, perhaps because when he abruptly moves on from a guest, they are left feeling they weren’t fully heard and are therefore prone to interrupt. But I wish more political panels were like this (albeit, in which guests comply by stopping mid-sentence when an interjection is made and don’t bridle at it being so stringently controlled). Obviously, it would become tiresome if it were the style of every panel show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Cormac was trying on his usual polemic/ palaver and got a good schooling from Colm McCarthy last Saturday. Colm more or less told his host to shut up and listen and questioned if he could understand even simple concepts. Cormac went very quiet!! Can't see McCarthy back as a guest anytime soon...

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Cormac was trying on his usual polemic/ palaver and got a good schooling from Colm McCarthy last Saturday. Colm more or less told his host to shut up and listen and questioned if he could understand even simple concepts. Cormac went very quiet!! Can't see McCarthy back as a guest anytime soon...

hmm wouldn’t argue with that B.

Painful atm-repeating the same question repeatedly!

Coming back soon I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,342 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Coming back soon I hear.

He was on today.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He was on today.

Yes, was out and about.

Was he as aggressive as ever?

How many”hang ons “ was there?

Yes, was out and about.

Was he as aggressive as ever?

How many”hang ons “ was there?

The part I listened to it wasn't that bad and not many hang ons. It was the fact that Ruth coppinger was on and she bugs me. Even the sinn fein rep didn't bug me like they normally do.

The part I listened to it wasn't that bad and not many hang ons. It was the fact that Ruth coppinger was on and she bugs me. Even the sinn fein rep didn't bug me like they normally do.

Jeez... I guess I got lucky so.

Thank you for the info.

Jeez... I guess I got lucky so.

Thank you for the info.

The best contribution from deputy coppinger in relation to the housing crisis and the vacant property issue was that a house being vacant because a person may be in a nursing home and therefore it couldn't be taken over wasn't to her liking.

The best contribution from deputy coppinger in relation to the housing crisis and the vacant property issue was that a house being vacant because a person may be in a nursing home and therefore it couldn't be taken over wasn't to her liking.

Look,Easy, what Coppinger says is of no relevance whatsoever.Did she by any chance suggest that a teaching job left vacant couldn’t be taken over?.

Hmmmmm ...... not a betting man but I would suggest not.

Coppinger when she is voted out will walk back into her State job as a teacher...so under no pressure, can throw out any pig swill she likes.

Safety net is fully secured, pension an all

Let’s not be fools all our lives, folks.

Coppinger when she is voted out will walk back into her State job as a teacher...so under no pressure, can throw out any pig swill she likes.

Safety net is fully secured, pension an all

Let’s not be fools all our lives, folks.
    Let's not forget that Ruth Coppinger has taken a pay cut to work as a TD (she and her fellow members of AAA-PBP only take the average industrial wage, just like Shinners do), and furthermore, that if her teaching position has been left open, her pension will have been paused (new rules in this regard were introduced in 2011).

There are many legitimate reasons to criticise Coppinger, but be under no mistake, she and her teaching pension would have been considerably better off if she hadn't become a TD. One of the last things she can be accused of is of having her snout in the trough, so to speak.

Let's not forget that Ruth Coppinger has taken a pay cut to work as a TD (she and her fellow members of AAA-PBP only take the average industrial wage, just like Shinners do), and furthermore, that if her teaching position has been left open, her pension will have been paused (new rules in this regard were introduced in 2011).

There are many legitimate reasons to criticise Coppinger, but be under no mistake, she and her teaching pension would have been considerably better off if she hadn't become a TD. One of the last things she can be accused of is of having her snout in the trough, so to speak.

Ty.... surprised at you....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dessie-ellis-may-not-be-only-sf-td-keeping-93k-salary-471827.html

Ty what she does with her salary is of no consequence, no kudos involved, no hand clapping or anything else.

The taxpayer pays her the same as anyone else, that’s all that matters.

I would safely bet that her wedge with expenses would from the Oireachtais would be better than that of a teacher.

But the bottom line line is John Q Taxpayer pay her the same as any other deputy.

What she does with it after that is her own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Listened to it under Cormac O hEadhra for the first time today. Thought he was excellent. Too often politicians are given excessive time to give banal political platitudes and allowed to control the interview. Not so with O hEadhra. I agree with the poster above saying he probably has to answer for the frequent interruptions between the guests, perhaps because when he abruptly moves on from a guest, they are left feeling they weren’t fully heard and are therefore prone to interrupt. But I wish more political panels were like this (albeit, in which guests comply by stopping mid-sentence when an interjection is made and don’t bridle at it being so stringently controlled). Obviously, it would become tiresome if it were the style of every panel show.

Which it will be here as long as O'Horrrrhhhhda is in charge. A bull in a china shop would conduct a more orderly and productive debate.

delaad wrote: »
    [/B]

Which it will be here as long as O'Horrrrhhhhda is in charge. A bull in a china shop would conduct a more orderly and productive debate.

:eek:

Hang on now……………………

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

zell12 wrote: »
    It's not his fault Paul Kehoe FG & Brian Cowen FF are screaming at each other, and are excluding the other three guests and the host.

TBF, it is. Or is in part: obviously I'm not hear to exculpate our Civil War Parties having their interminable uncivil war on the airwaves, but it's a predictable enough thing by now that the presenters should be expected to try to "manage" it. We're entitled to complain when they don't.

Other presenters seem to do this more effectively. I'm personally quite the fan of Aine Lawlor's "more in sadness than in anger" routine, which often proves surprisingly effective. Sometimes they just keep shouting, of course. Oh well.

Cormac's also a bit of a part-time poacher, part-time gamekeeper when it comes to yelled interruptions. Shouty host, shouty guests, massive spike in the Panadol stock-ticker.

It was pretty silly and pretty shouty again this week. And as usual it was the FG and FF types that were the worst. Next time, they should be made sign a Confidence, Supply, and Not Making Needling Snidey Interruptions Agreement, and not just the first two.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Can't see McCarthy back as a guest anytime soon...

How bad.

I guess he's a reliable enough turn if what you want is good old-fashioned reactionary economics, delivered in as grumpy and self-important manner as possible. And evidently quite a few people do!

Listened to it under Cormac O hEadhra for the first time today. Thought he was excellent. Too often politicians are given excessive time to give banal political platitudes and allowed to control the interview. Not so with O hEadhra.
    I think as a very general rule of thumb, that maybe works better with one-on-one interviews. (Or as Vinnie B used to do, have multiple guests, but move ponderously slowly between them, rather than having them all chime in on every question.) When they're mob-handed, as on this show, it can frequently turn into audio carnage.
    I agree with the poster above saying he probably has to answer for the frequent interruptions between the guests, perhaps because when he abruptly moves on from a guest, they are left feeling they weren’t fully heard and are therefore prone to interrupt.

And I'm sure too the old saw applies about children never listening to their elders, but also never failing to imitate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Just wondered if Cormac is still hosting this show?

The last few times I have listened (including today) it has been Katie Hannon since she finished covering for Sarah McInerney in the Late Debate - Cormac;s old show.

The left, the hard left and the left overs on explaining why Leo got destroyed in the local elections last week.

"Voters waiting in the long grass"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The left, the hard left and the left overs on explaining why Leo got destroyed in the local elections last week.

"Voters waiting in the long grass"

Karen devine is the quintessential arrogant socialist academic, blathering on about some GOP thing in the usa, as if it had any relevance to here, then when the FG TD tells her she doesn't know what she is talking about after she ends her long winded lecture, she is incredulous

• Advertisement

Conor84 wrote: »
    Just wondered if Cormac is still hosting this show?

The last few times I have listened (including today) it has been Katie Hannon since she finished covering for Sarah McInerney in the Late Debate - Cormac;s old show.

O headra has an appalling left wing bias, even for RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Karen devine is the quintessential arrogant socialist academic, blathering on about some GOP thing in the usa, as if it had any relevance to here, then when the FG TD tells her she doesn't know what she is talking about after she ends her long winded lecture, she is incredulous

I remember she popped up on The Late Debate a couple of years back I think.

She gave a display of bad manners and disrespect that was unbelievable and virtually unchallenged for some reason.

Can't remember who was presenting that night.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I remember she popped up on The Late Debate a couple of years back I think.

She gave a display of bad manners and disrespect that was unbelievable and virtually unchallenged for some reason.

Can't remember who was presenting that night.

The type who's only experience of anything was had in a college lecture hall

Almost choked on my fish fingers earlier when Cormac O'hEadhra, normally a pillar of sense in a gale of nonsense, mused whether the pressure of the Leaving Cert was causing children to take up crack cocaine.

Never heard such crap as was on today’s Jun15 show.

Teachers.... McHugh goes to to Dubai to talk to them informally.

WTF is wrong with that ....talking to people ... asking them questions.

How in Gods name can you find out what the issues for them is if you don’t engage with people..

(I know what the issues are, they are a bunch of greedy folk who think the taxpayer should bankrupt the country to ensure they were kept happy)

But that’s just me.

Then you had that tool Chambers interrupting and trying to take over the discussion, happy in the knowledge he wouldn’t have to implement anything.

Not easy listening folk, then Lonergan getting worked up .... Jaysus we all know if we had unlimited finance how to ‘solve’ a problem.

The trick is to be able to distribute a L I M I T E D supply of money in the fairest way possible, and get bang for your buck.

If the teachers want to stay in Dubai, let them stay in Dubai... if they would like to come back, let’s try to help them, otherwise let’s make it easy for others who want to work as teachers in Ireland to do so.

That’s all McHugh was scoping out, that’s the lads job FFS.

Jeez....

• Advertisement
Advertisement