Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

https://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=200&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2019

Irish Schools results not shown yet but when they are his time will appear at the bottom but you can see where 20.69 ranks against all the senior men in the UK.

Same for 100m

https://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=100&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

jacothelad wrote: »
    ... African American and guys of Afro-Caribbean decent have genetic advantage over us slow twitch donkeys.

Unfortunately I think the lack of adequate PED controls in certain counties are exponentially more important than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster Rugby has confirmed that nine players who started the 2018/19 season in the Abbey Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy have now signed upgraded contracts ahead of the 2019/20 season.

Angus Curtis and Tom O’Toole, who were awarded development contracts earlier in the season, have now signed senior deals, with Michael Lowry and Eric O’Sullivan also rewarded with senior contracts. Robert Baloucoune, James Hume, Angus Kernohan, Zack McCall and Marcus Rea have all put pen to paper on development deals.

It has been a notable season for Ulster’s Academy players, who contributed an outstanding total of 111 appearances across the Guinness PRO14 and Heineken Champions Cup.

Wonder if Zack McCall's contract upgrade is any reflection on McBurney. Does he have a senior contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wonder if Zack McCall's contract upgrade is any reflection on McBurney. Does he have a senior contract?

Was given a senior contract at the start of this season.

Will be interesting to see what happens at hooker. The depth chart is probably looking like:

1. Herring
    2. Andrews
    3. McBurney
    4. McCall

But I can see 2-4 rotating very easily depending on form etc

Will be interesting to see what happens at hooker. The depth chart is probably looking like:

1. Herring
    2. Andrews
    3. McBurney
    4. McCall

Think Andrews is very good for a third choice hooker. But need McBurney to start challenging and delivering.

• Advertisement

1. Herring
    2. Andrews
    3. McBurney
    4. McCall

5. Stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Ulster will probably need 4 contracted hookers next year anyway.

Herring will be a Ireland camps and may even make the World Cup squad (at minimum on standby) so could have a significant lay off at the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭launish116

England v Ireland U20 7pm onwards Eir Sport

Moore, Allison , McCann, Hughes, Kernohan all starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1m_8kQgjM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

launish116 wrote: »

This match was geo blocked on Eir Sport for N. Ireland viewers as are all Eir Sports maches but not geo blocked on Youtube or on IRB website. Irony is that geo blocking is due to ITV holding UK rights and ITV only show highlights late at night for pool games and don't show live coverage until the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

David McCann could turn out to be a real keeper. Allison looks very athletic, albeit there were a couple of errors. Promising signs for the future of the Ulster back row.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    David McCann could turn out to be a real keeper. Allison looks very athletic, albeit there were a couple of errors. Promising signs for the future of the Ulster back row.

What about Moore and Kernoghan and Hughes?

Moore was probably Ireland's best back and showed off his power and offloading. Kernohan put in the kind of performance he puts in for Ulster which was decent enough. Hughes didn't get much of the ball before going off injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Kernohan is a strange one for me. I think he has looked better playing for Ulster then playing for the U20's this year or last. I was surprised to see him getting picked for Ulster last year after not really standing out at U20 level. But he preformed better then I expected.
    He looks physically ready, especially at U20 level, but I would be more excited when the likes of Wren or French (I know he has his defensive issues) gets the ball.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Kernohan is a strange one for me. I think he has looked better playing for Ulster then playing for the U20's this year or last. I was surprised to see him getting picked for Ulster last year after not really standing out at U20 level. But he preformed better then I expected.
    He looks physically ready, especially at U20 level, but I would be more excited when the likes of Wren or French (I know he has his defensive issues) gets the ball.

Was thinking exactly this last night - he looked more comfortable playing senior rugby.

bilston wrote: »

McCann is only 18? Had a very good game. Allison looked a little rusty, but good at the same time, but just keeps gettimg injured. But your right looks like Ulster's backrow could be starting to shape up.

Hughes looks like he has pace/footwork but never really got to exploit. Defence/tackling was a little iffy though.

Moore was solid. I didn't realise he was as physical. He showed good intelligence for his try. Like Allison it was his first U20s game so I'd expect more from him as the tournament goes on.

Hughes looks like he could be a tricky sort of player. I think he only played the first half. Kernohan didn't really stand out which you would expect of someone with lots of Pro 14 rugby under his belt.

It was some try, a great combination of a good line, power, footwork and pace. He is a good passer of the ball as well. He looks a proper talent.

We look to have two gems in Moore and McCann. Probably Allison as well, hopefully we see more of him over the remainder of the tournament.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the Ulster conveyor belt delivers again, the conveyor belt of centres that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Pienaar is free again......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

jacothelad wrote: »
    Pienaar is free again......

Don't you think that its time to let him go...... Ulster moved forward last season, they most certainly did. Bringing him back as a player or coach would be a step back for me. Move on

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Don't you think that its time to let him go...... Ulster moved forward last season, they most certainly did. Bringing him back as a player or coach would be a step back for me. Move on

I agree. He is past it as a player and unproven as a coach. I doubt if McFarland would see an opening for him. He was a player of real class though and I suppose he would have something to offer. His home is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Would McFarland want such a figure there? He has to be the main man. Payne is doing a good job.

Absolutely he was a class player and even as a coach at some time in the future when new Coaches are starting a different era. Do not see that the timing is right now though

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Would McFarland want such a figure there? He has to be the main man. Payne is doing a good job.

Absolutely he was a class player and even as a coach at some time in the future when new Coaches are starting a different era. Do not see that the timing is right now though

I don't think Pienaar would ever be anything other than a 'team' man. His character would never be divisive I'm pretty sure. I can't think of a role he could fill that isn't already well covered but if he is living in Belfast, his kids attend school there, his wife is apparently very content there so maybe will be something that is considered.

If Pienaar asks for a job Ulster will find one - he’d be great for ambassador and sponsorship type roles for instance.

If he wants to coach you’d have to assume it would be at the lowest level assistant and entirely at McFarland’s discretion. And I doubt Ulster will be able to sign him as a player as he’d block academy guys like Stewart from getting game time. Unless Nucifora wants to troll the fans that is.

I do see him back at Ulster in some capacity though, even if it’s a symbolic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would love to see him involved with one of the AIL clubs, Ballynahinch or Banbridge maybe. I think it's probably too soon to bring him into the Ulster coaching setup, especially given the strides McFarland and co are making. Would also be a great ambassador for media stuff as mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Would love to see him involved with one of the AIL clubs, Ballynahinch or Banbridge maybe. I think it's probably too soon to bring him into the Ulster coaching setup, especially given the strides McFarland and co are making. Would also be a great ambassador for media stuff as mentioned.
    involved in AIL side would be great but doing promo work in the north east would be even better. getting him to help development officers promote sport in areas sport isnt that popular/played much as it could

Mckee, Allison, McCann and Kernoghan all putting in good shifts.

McCann and Allison went through some work out there. Allison v quick for a fwd.

• Advertisement

Pete Nelson in the extended Canadian world cup squad.

Good luck to him. Fingers crossed he makes the final cut.

Advertisement