Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see the 30 month age limit for beef exports to Japan has been removed. The first crack in that restriction since BSE so it shouldn't be long going altogether hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Vet here today with a sick calf so I said I’d get him to check if a cow we have is in calf. I posted about her last year as she calved at 15months . Decided not to put her in calf again and to give the poor thing a break. Looking at her a while back and realized had never seen her bulling and was looking suspicious and yup it’s confirmed she’s in calf again 8 months !!and it will be with another relation as she was kept strictly away from the bull. I need to be having words with her......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She'll swear it's another virgin birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

L1985 wrote: »
    Vet here today with a sick calf so I said I’d get him to check if a cow we have is in calf. I posted about her last year as she calved at 15months . Decided not to put her in calf again and to give the poor thing a break. Looking at her a while back and realized had never seen her bulling and was looking suspicious and yup it’s confirmed she’s in calf again 8 months !!and it will be with another relation as she was kept strictly away from the bull. I need to be having words with her......

Slapper

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Slut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think you're lovely L1985.

What age will she be calving this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi, I noticed a feb born bull calf with a green semi-solid scour (not in fresh grass as I have none!) he was done for coccidious at three weeks, he is stretching well when I rise him up and is sucking cow, any ideas or thoughts. Thanks, Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi, I noticed a feb born bull calf with a green semi-solid scour (not in fresh grass as I have none!) he was done for coccidious at three weeks, he is stretching well when I rise him up and is sucking cow, any ideas or thoughts. Thanks, Mac

Crypto mabye.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Spent 2 hours running around neighbour's fields after a collection of his and my cattle! Unsuccessfully I might add! Have a red Angus heifer that is stone mad. When we eventually catch her she is going into shed and not leaving until she walks up a ramp into a lorry. This neighbor has limos that are like lambs in comparison. I'm wrecked now and we have to do the whole thing again tomorrow! Sigh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

KatyMac wrote: »
    Spent 2 hours running around neighbour's fields after a collection of his and my cattle! Unsuccessfully I might add! Have a red Angus heifer that is stone mad. When we eventually catch her she is going into shed and not leaving until she walks up a ramp into a lorry. This neighbor has limos that are like lambs in comparison. I'm wrecked now and we have to do the whole thing again tomorrow! Sigh!

We had a neighbour who passed away a few years ago, but he spent 26 years as a rancher/cowhand in Montana. He retired back here in West Cork with his Irish wife, they had 4 or 5 acres and 2 horses. He lashoo-ed a few mad bastards of bullocks out of a group of cows about 20 years ago for another neighbour, it was a sight I though I'd never see. The understanding between himself and the horse was brilliant to see, the horse would know which animal was the target after 1or 2 shouts from the rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    First Communion today and still no sign of the bouncey castle and your man's phone is off !! Could be a long day !!

An end of day update. No show or contact from All Star Castles Limerick !!
    Rang a neighbour who I knew had a second hand castle. He had it lent to a friend who he said might be away for the weekend. Long story short the castle was dropped over while we were at communion and had brother tipped off.
    We called to see my father at the respite centre after Mass. Castle standing tall when we got home. A great day .

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    An end of day update. No show or contact from All Star Castles Limerick !!
    Rang a neighbour who I knew had a second hand castle. He had it lent to a friend who he said might be away for the weekend. Long story short the castle was dropped over while we were at communion and had brother tipped off.
    We called to see my father at the respite centre after Mass. Castle standing tall when we got home. A great day .

Had you paid for the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

KatyMac wrote: »
    Spent 2 hours running around neighbour's fields after a collection of his and my cattle! I'm wrecked now and we have to do the whole thing again tomorrow! Sigh!

Their favourite food and only one person visible, weanling crunch in a bucket in front of her (it has a strong scent), let her smell it and eat some before taking it from her, move away and do the same again until she follows you home. If you are bring more than one animal in, you have to concentrate on the quietest, get that one eating, all the rest will follow, have a light rod waving around you in case they get too close and surround you. To get them into the paddock, have some meal in feeders (visible split blue barrels) in the paddock and while they are busy jostling for it, sneak around and close the gate, but be quick. Have everything in place and plan ahead. Stay calm and take your time.

Similar here, a twin heifer born last Jan, who was constantly at the mineral lick, until it was raised out of her reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

whelan2 wrote: »
    What age will she be calving this time?

Around 29 months I think looking at her age now. So I’ll have two calves out of her by 30 months!!! She went in calf first at seven months. Tbf she won’t owe me anything-had an unreal calf for her first one as well. Was thinking after thou and I’ve no idea who the daddy is as had a couple of bought in calves around her as well as half brothers -he and Aa so we will see. The effort I went to keeping her from the bull (her father as well!!).

And thanks “say my name” some of this crowd can be very judgmental 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Had you paid for the first one?

Just €50 deposit last October. Wife had spoke with him last Tuesday and all seemed ok. From a bit of research yesterday though seemingly he's a bit of a scum bag. You never know do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Around 29 months I think looking at her age now. So I’ll have two calves out of her by 30 months!!! She went in calf first at seven months. Tbf she won’t owe me anything-had an unreal calf for her first one as well. Was thinking after thou and I’ve no idea who the daddy is as had a couple of bought in calves around her as well as half brothers -he and Aa so we will see. The effort I went to keeping her from the bull (her father as well!!).

And thanks “say my name” some of this crowd can be very judgmental ��

That heifer cow would be one to keep replacements from. She has no fertility issues anyway and that's always a good start, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Back in the saddle yesterday after nearly a year away from it, like riding a bike this tractor craic. Late start this year, was booking flights off the farm this time last year. Weathers all over the place this year no summer rain and not much rain until last Thursday really and were getting ground frosts now in the mornings too. The machine is 24ft wider than last years one but its a different brand really shows the KISS system works as last years one had all the bells and whistles you could get just to do the same job as the plain and simple one.
    Its a funny spot out here weve nothing around us really only an overpriced grocery and a decent pub, everyones friendly and theres more of a youthful presence here than back home due to all the seasonal workers here a good percentage of them irish too. Its grand seeing all the lights going in the distance when i knock off in the evening but i reckon therell be a lotta crop either left in the shed or what stuff thst was dry seeded failing, but thats the joys of it out here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

If the calf was still indoors at 3 weeks old(presume he was if Feb born) and the hygiene is good indoors then that coccidiosis dose may have been wasted. Timing is everything with Coccidiosis. It takes 21 days approx from exposure to developing clinical signs. On most farms calves get it at grass so the Baycox/Vecoxan etc would need to be given 14 days after they go to grass to break the lifecycle. It's the most timing specific disease and the one where you really need to have a long consultation with your vet to find the best time to dose on your own farm. The other thing is that while some calves may have blood scour, they are a small percentage, the rest will have mild scour or no signs at all but they will not be thriving as well as they should be.

Just some things to consider.

• Advertisement

Back in the saddle yesterday after nearly a year away from it, like riding a bike this tractor craic. Late start this year, was booking flights off the farm this time last year. Weathers all over the place this year no summer rain and not much rain until last Thursday really and were getting ground frosts now in the mornings too. The machine is 24ft wider than last years one but its a different brand really shows the KISS system works as last years one had all the bells and whistles you could get just to do the same job as the plain and simple one.
    Its a funny spot out here weve nothing around us really only an overpriced grocery and a decent pub, everyones friendly and theres more of a youthful presence here than back home due to all the seasonal workers here a good percentage of them irish too. Its grand seeing all the lights going in the distance when i knock off in the evening but i reckon therell be a lotta crop either left in the shed or what stuff thst was dry seeded failing, but thats the joys of it out here.

What's the reaction on the ground to "Scomo" becoming Prime Minister?

Would all the Aussie's you know vote?
    (With compulsory voting and being fined if you don't vote).
    Would you have a vote?

I don't know how many years I am going to kids football but this morning there was nearly a fight on the sidelines. 2 fathers giving out crap to each other. I just roared it's a kids game cop on. Wtf do they be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I don't know how many years I am going to kids football but this morning there was nearly a fight on the sidelines. 2 fathers giving out crap to each other. I just roared it's a kids game cop on. Wtf do they be thinking.

That reminds me of a dad that used to umpire some of our matches, he'd wave everything a point even his son would be shouting at him to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Spent an hour looking for one of the white twins. Had all the ditches walked in 3 fields before I checked the next ones over & found him in a meadow.
    Walked him back & he goes straight for a corner, tried to turn him & he decided to leap head first into a drain that must be 13/14ft deep.
    Landed with a thump & a plosh but was lying still for about 10 seconds as I was deciding if i should have heart failure or jump down after him.
    But just as I was about to go down, he stirred a bit, stood up & shook himself & leapt up the near sheer side like a mountain goat

MY HEART ISN'T ABLE FOR THINGS LIKE THIS!! :pac::pac:

D68TPN9XoAYdnxN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

If the calf was still indoors at 3 weeks old(presume he was if Feb born) and the hygiene is good indoors then that coccidiosis dose may have been wasted. Timing is everything with Coccidiosis. It takes 21 days approx from exposure to developing clinical signs. On most farms calves get it at grass so the Baycox/Vecoxan etc would need to be given 14 days after they go to grass to break the lifecycle. It's the most timing specific disease and the one where you really need to have a long consultation with your vet to find the best time to dose on your own farm. The other thing is that while some calves may have blood scour, they are a small percentage, the rest will have mild scour or no signs at all but they will not be thriving as well as they should be.

Just some things to consider.

Thanks, the calf was out almost straight away due to the mild weather and have some fields with great shelter. Looking back at my records he was probably out longer than 3 weeks as I had a batch out and waited for the youngest to hit 3 weeks. Just checked him there and he is stretching and drinking, semi solid today and still running around, I’ll just keep an eye on him for now. Thanks for the advice will bear in mind in the future as it’s expensive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Their favourite food and only one person visible, weanling crunch in a bucket in front of her (it has a strong scent), let her smell it and eat some before taking it from her, move away and do the same again until she follows you home. If you are bring more than one animal in, you have to concentrate on the quietest, get that one eating, all the rest will follow, have a light rod waving around you in case they get too close and surround you. To get them into the paddock, have some meal in feeders (visible split blue barrels) in the paddock and while they are busy jostling for it, sneak around and close the gate, but be quick. Have everything in place and plan ahead. Stay calm and take your time.

It looks so easy when written down! There are 4 of mine in with a dozen of his. His scare at the sight of me and mine scare at the sight of him!!! He is putting nuts in a trough closer and closer to the yard for the past few evenings and we plan to try again in a couple of days (thank God for a decent neighbor).

Taking it too far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCd6g33l_Gc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m probably wrong but when all of them are so nervous I’d be thinking they’re not being handled properly.

We’ve bought in animals that turned out crazy but the majority settle when you spend time with them and handle them calmly and regularly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement