Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also did any else see that ivanka trump told donors that she "gets her moral compass from her dad." So that means she doesn't have one or it's in need of a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The light bulbs make his look orange ? You see in normal times you'd think that was a funny joke and you'd laugh or ignore it. The problem with trump is you're not exactly sure if he's joking or not. For all we know he may 100 % believe that these new lightbulbs make him look orange. The only problem is he looks orange whether near lightbulbs or not.

He's not joking. He never jokes about his appearance, intelligence or wealth. He is a deeply, profoundly insecure individual.

His putrefying flesh is hideous, so too his soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

serfboard wrote: »
    Sure who campaigned against Goldman Sachs and then stuffed his cabinet full of Goldman Sachs alumni?

Anyone who believed that any US administration was going to go against the Saudis in any way, was at best naive, and at worst ill-informed or clueless.

America's Middle East policy has remained unchanged for decades - Israel and the Saudis can do what they want, and any oil-rich country in the region not an ally of the US is ripe to be invaded. The only exception to this is Iran, and despite all the US tough talk, they won't invade Iran.
    I don't think vetoing bipartisan bills to stop arms sales, and then outright giving them nuclear research is normal for the US and Saudi, no. Yet mysteriously, Trump has been pushing hard for that since before he even took office (transition period).

Then again I don't think any former president who makes nearly as much money, personally, from the Saudi's as Trump does, and definitely do not recall any former US presidents ardently lying about a fact like this either. Strangely, Trump feels the need to spread almost this identical lie about Russia also... curious.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1052186219696803841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnbc.com%2F2018%2F10%2F16%2Ftrump-says-no-financial-interests-in-saudi-arabia-but-makes-money.html

DWAOVS2VoAEoiZa.jpg

If you noticed that the second tweet also has Trump contradicting himself about Iran, that is because taking any random two Trump tweets gives you more than a 50% chance of hypocrisy from him <-- not a joke.

The true irony of the whole Saudi part is that Trump's supporters, who used to foam at the mouth at the mention of the world 'Saudi' who now have completely forgotten all about that, absolutely detest probably Saudi's biggest critic on the world stage - Justin Trudeau. I did love how noticeably upset they get whenever it something is brought up, like Canada taking in that Saudi airport refugee girl last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Manic, what I don't understand is why people accept that Trump needs to talk to the likes of the Taliban and NK, yet are at the same time happy that he openly dismisses allies and threatens the break up of NATO.

Seems to me that he wants it both ways. He wants to be the peacemaker, talking doesn't cost anything etc, yet at the same time he is the great counter puncher and will always stand up by MAGA.

It is not that we wants to talk, I think everyone can agree that talking is the best option, but why such widely different approaches?

The fist bit is precisely why we had the split which resulted in the departure of Mattis. There are certainly those who think that he is too willing to abandon allies.

I don’t think he actually wants to leave NATO. If he did, he would have actually pushed for it, much as he actually did for the Paris climate accords. That said, the thing people are focusing on is the correct observation that most NATO countries are not attaining their financial obligations. This had been politely pointed out by previous administrations to little effect. A little belligerence does seem to be having the right effect on that level, even at the cost of burning political friendship bridges, such as any currently exist between Trump and the other NATO leaders as it is. It’s not as if he and Merkel for example would have been the best of buddies had he not decided to bluntly point out the horribly underfunded state of the Bundeswerhr.

Trump provoked ‘stunned silence’ by shouting ‘where’s my favorite dictator’ at meeting with Egyptian officials: report

Just saw this on Reddit. I don't know what the hell happened to the world but it does give great headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The fist bit is precisely why we had the split which resulted in the departure of Mattis. There are certainly those who think that he is too willing to abandon allies.

I don’t think he actually wants to leave NATO. If he did, he would have actually pushed for it, much as he actually did for the Paris climate accords. That said, the thing people are focusing on is the correct observation that most NATO countries are not attaining their financial obligations. This had been politely pointed out by previous administrations to little effect. A little belligerence does seem to be having the right effect on that level, even at the cost of burning political friendship bridges, such as any currently exist between Trump and the other NATO leaders as it is. It’s not as if he and Merkel for example would have been the best of buddies had he not decided to bluntly point out the horribly underfunded state of the Bundeswerhr.
    I think this is a very bad political calculation, myself. Reckless and likely to be counterproductive to America's interests. Do you really think it's a good strategy longer term?

Then of course the other interpretation of Trump's actions wrt America's traditional NATO allies is that he simply prefers dictators and "strongmen", is attracted to them personally and repulsed by what he perceives as the powerlessness of democratic politicians.

I think that's becoming an unavoidable view of his actions TBH. Don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

volchitsa wrote: »
    I think this is a very bad political calculation, myself.

Trump is not making calculations, for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Trump is not making calculations, for goodness sake.

That's a vote for option 2, then I take it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Are Don's views on life simply all based on finance/money and making deals to support his wallet? If so, is that the explanation for his apparent disdain for US political capital amongst it's historical allies and around the world?

He seems to think braggart speech as being equal to actual power to effect change to the favour of the US - if its works for me it works for the US.

One thing he has not done is get the US involved in another war, so does that mean that he has a distinct desire not to get himself and the US involved in another martial war, [a reversal of Von Clausewitz theorem that war is an extension of politics] leading him to dump Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Perhaps the Taliban promised him planning permission for a Trump hotel? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump provoked ‘stunned silence’ by shouting ‘where’s my favorite dictator’ at meeting with Egyptian officials: report

Just saw this on Reddit. I don't know what the hell happened to the world but it does give great headlines.

In fairness, Juncker did the same with the Hungarian guy (as well as slapping him in the face) :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Having read up on the guy, he's scum.
    Of course Trump loves him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

aloyisious wrote: »
    Are Don's views on life simply all based on finance/money and making deals to support his wallet? If so, is that the explanation for his apparent disdain for US political capital amongst it's historical allies and around the world?

I'd say one-upmanship, greed, spite, malice and quite open contempt for anyone who he views as soft or weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Attacks On Major Saudi Oil Installations Show Urgent Need For Peace With Yemen

This incident is going to be on his desk. There is no military solution here, the Yemenis have found the Achilles heel to the Saudi Kingdoms economy. This one needs diplomacy to resolve, if it escalates further then 2020 will be a very messy year internationally.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Looking at all the post-debate discussions after the Democrat offerings the other night...

The contest will ultimately be fought in Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania

Texas is a huge tombola... It could go any way at the moment...

Sanders will NOT win Florida in 2020. He simply will not win Cuban hearts/minds..

So, as regards the rest? Whaddya want? A Quids-In Bet? Wrong place, amigo.... Try paddypower.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's an unusual one I've heard already ok that Sanders can't win Florida as he won't get the Latino vote, when he polls highest among Latinos... I'm sure there's a reason for it that I haven't seen yet, just struck me as odd the other night when it was said.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That's an unusual one I've heard already ok that Sanders can't win Florida as he won't get the Latino vote, when he polls highest among Latinos... I'm sure there's a reason for it that I haven't seen yet, just struck me as odd the other night when it was said.

1. Bernie seriously NEEDS to stop SHOUTING! Its not appreciated and certainly not in Florida...

2. Castro is an emotional confusion in Fl, and Biden is Hangover from Obama.. Take both of those out and folks in Florida will be much more focused on Dem possibilities.

If Castro & Biden are out of Fl, I see (a quieter more sedate and rounded) Bernie becoming a much more relevant force! That said, Harris and/or Warren could then make inroads there....

Right this minute??? Fl is still Trump's!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    1. Bernie seriously NEEDS to stop SHOUTING! Its not appreciated and certainly not in Florida...

2. Castro is an emotional confusion in Fl, and Biden is Hangover from Obama.. Take both of those out and folks in Florida will be much more focused on Dem possibilities.

If Castro & Biden are out of Fl, I see (a quieter more sedate and rounded) Bernie becoming a much more relevant force! That said, Harris and/or Warren could then make inroads there....

If they don't like shouting how is it still Trump's? That is nonsensical.

Bat of pigs is still helping Trump though and keeping Florida close as they tend to avoid Democrats because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Attacks On Major Saudi Oil Installations Show Urgent Need For Peace With Yemen

This incident is going to be on his desk. There is no military solution here, the Yemenis have found the Achilles heel to the Saudi Kingdoms economy. This one needs diplomacy to resolve, if it escalates further then 2020 will be a very messy year internationally.

Listening to SecState, there is NO evidence that Yemenis were behind the attacks. Iran was behind the attacks. The known unknown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Warren and Sanders are better politicans but highly unlikely to win Florida which makes their path to 270 much tougher than Biden. Nevada is in play too if Sanders/Warren are the nominee which isn't good news for the Dems. Warren is currently losing to Trump head to head in Nevada

If Trump takes Florida, Nevada and Virginia the election is won even if the Dems take back Maine congressional, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's still too far out to map the way to victory but for sure Trump will need better than last time which isn't beyond him but given how trends have been I am sure the GOP (not the rabid supporters) are worried at the minute. It's gonna be a dirty election and probably the nastiest on record too.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Entirely new allegations coming out about Trump's guy Brett kavanagh. Seems there was another rape allegation and former class mate saw him put his penis uninvited into a girls hand at a dorm party.

Also the FBI never followed up on corroborating evidence during the last investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

listermint wrote: »
    Entirely new allegations coming out about Trump's guy Brett kavanagh. Seems there was another rape allegation and former class mate saw him put his penis uninvited into a girls hand at a dorm party.

Also the FBI never followed up on corroborating evidence during the last investigation.

It was abundantly clear at the time this nomination was crammed through. Revisit the posts here at the time.

The truth will always out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

With so much stuff and allegations hanging over him the simple thing was to just pick another nominee.

Probably have a situation now where an impeachment hearing drags on for next few months leaving seat open and unable to be filled until after next election.

Ramming a guy like Kavanaugh through just shows how partisan the Republicans have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

rossie1977 wrote: »
    With so much stuff and allegations hanging over him the simple thing was to just pick another nominee.

Probably have a situation now where an impeachment hearing drags on for next few months leaving seat open and unable to be filled until after next election.

Ramming a guy like Kavanaugh through just shows how partisan the Republicans have become.

My position at the time was that i was not comfortable calling him a rapist, as some did, but equally i didn't think his nomination should have been pushed through. What I said and should always have happened was a thorough investigation of the facts and that each witness should have been interviewed. O'Connell held open a SC place at will. There was absolutely no urgency to get him through, other than the Reps knew something wasn't right so best get him throug ASAP and to hell with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

listermint wrote: »

ahh dragging that one out again.

I don't think theres a republican SC nominee who wouldnt have gotten accusations as sexual assault is the latest thing to accuse people of. I wonder will they accuse barret of being a sex assaulter when ginsberg is being replaced, or will they make up something new for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

????

Sorry what

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The weaponizing of allegations of this sort (which have little or no substance, much less proof) is about as pathetic as it gets. Pearl clutching theatrics, nothing more, and that the MSM (CNN, NY Times, are lapping it up - the latter writing autobiographies about the woman) speaks volumes. Integrity deficient hacks.

College drinking parties in dorms in the early 80's, where 17 and 18 year olds were coming of age, and where someone perhaps got a little wild in front of everyone else whilst trying to impress each other, are supposed to result in someone losing their job almost 40 years later?

This sanctimonious nonsense is nauseating in the extreme. The left are really scraping the barrel with this crap, but it's their MO these days sadly. I get the impression that given they fake sincerity so much they end up convincing themselves that they're being genuine. Not a bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

"The Times report also surfaced similar, yet previously unreported, allegations that Kavanaugh had his pants down at a different college party, where his friends pushed his penis into the hand of a female student." - That isn't normal or acceptable behaviour Pete..... In fact, it lends further credence to Ford's accusation. Cause Brett repeatedly was constantly treated as a paragon of virtue last year. Can't see that sudden shift occurring in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

batgoat wrote: »
    In fact, it lends further credence to Ford's accusation.

Oh give it a rest. At that age at drinking parties stuff like that will happen. Only last week whilst going down Harcourt St on the Luas just after 11 or so two girls lifted their tops and pushed their boobs up against the window. Seen loads of teens moon in or around town in recent years too. So it's not a generation thing either, what I experienced at 17/18 at parties, in the likes of the Zoo Bar, still goes on today... and that's stuff I see out in public. Dorm parties and drinking games are always gonna result in the odd bit of risque behavior.

To then suggest, as you are, that this kind of thing supports the kind of allegations that Ford made? Are you for real?

Disgusting sanctimonious crap is all it is. We're talking about drunk teens ffs. Maybe you never experienced such shenanigans, but not all of us led such a sheltered sanitized life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement