Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options
  • 15-02-2021 6:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First thread has exceeded 10000 pists so is closed.
    This thread is for restaurant recommendations nothing else. Any personal insults will result in a thread ban, the last thread was descending into farce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Carrigaline Court Valintines dinner was excellent, 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of wine, well done Gerry Healy and team.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Genuine question, Has the cornstore improved/changed hands in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

shawki wrote: »

Not that I'm aware of, on either.

I think it's owned by the same crowd as Coqbull. They seem to have places in Limerick too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40117295.html

You wouldn't hear much about Coqbull. I wasn't very impressed with it the couple of times I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Mardyke wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of, on either.

I think it's owned by the same crowd as Coqbull. They seem to have places in Limerick too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40117295.html

You wouldn't hear much about Coqbull. I wasn't very impressed with it the couple of times I was there.

Maybe it’s time to forgive and forget and give Cornstore another go. My last experience was not positive but people outside of boards keep recommending it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was there during the summer. Was just meh. Overpriced. Saying that I do like their cocktails.

I went for an interview for a waitressing job there when I was a student (this is about 10 years ago now...) and the owner/manager was horrible. Not going to get into specifics on a public forum but let’s just say staff were not treated very well. Didn’t take the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haven't been to the cornstore in years but I found it decent when I did. Not really sure why I haven't been back. Just not my bag, really. Same as Market Lane is good but I never bother going.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Cornstore has the best chicken wings in cork, worth going for that alone. The only place that matches their wings is elephant and castle.
    Was last in Cornstore in the summer and it was nicely spaced out and friendly staff so highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

Well done to them, something really simple but different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Snap I was there myself as well. Wanted to try the wagyu beef roll but they didn't have anyway. Went with the ham roll instead, no complaints at all but it didn't change my life :)

opus wrote: »
    Snap I was there myself as well. Wanted to try the wagyu beef roll but they didn't have anyway. Went with the ham roll instead, no complaints at all but it didn't change my life :)

Oh I didnt see a beef, guess I'll have to go back tomorrow for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    Well I just went in town for a few rolls from masseytown for me and the lads in the office. Absolutely phenomenal.

All rolls are €7.50 and they are a fine size with I'm happy to report full of meat. We halved up the rolls and all had a sample of each. Roast pork, roast ham and roast chicken. I thought the roast pork was the pick - crackling pork, mayo, red onion, peppers and chutney.

checked out their fb page - wow looks great.. and yes something different.. looks quality - thinking about it now, surprised it hasn't been done before.. Bracken's will be missed but I hope they do well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

How was the bread in Masseytown?

What puts me off O'Flynns sausages is the poor quality bread rolls. Sausages themselves are good.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How was the bread in Masseytown?

What puts me off O'Flynns sausages is the poor quality bread rolls. Sausages themselves are good.

Very good its the proper rustic bread like you get in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

rob316 wrote: »

Oh fab. Must give them a go. Was chatting to the owner the other day when I got a coffee from there. Nice guy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The only time I had pork crackling was in Deep South, I didn't like it at all, hard as rock. Couldn't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Oh fab. Must give them a go. Was chatting to the owner the other day when I got a coffee from there. Nice guy!

Ah he's from Macroom and Macroom never reared a fool.
    Was wondering about the name Masseytown, see he's Tom and Marion Creedon's son. My brother knew Tom:
    https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/arid-40209731.html

Wish him well and will call when I've got my vaccine.

The only time I had pork crackling was in Deep South, I didn't like it at all, hard as rock. Couldn't eat it.

Done properly, it's puffed up and crispy/crunchy, not hard.
    But not done right, it's like eating credit cards.
    I love love love crackling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone get the monkfish goujons from the leaping salmon?

What’s the food like in Soho?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s the food like in Soho?

For me its fairly average.

• Advertisement

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    For me its fairly average.

Ya I’ve just spotted one or two cocktails I’d like to get so was wondering about the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got lunch from Sonny's deli today. It was very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Delighted to hear Sonny's reopened! Must get a reuben in the next few weeks. My lockdown lunches at home are being pimped at the moment by crisps. (Yes, it's come to this level of boredom). But, have discovered that wheelies are great in a ham sandwich, snax do good things for a cheese sandwich and skips work in a tuna wrap . :D A fancy sandwich from Sonny's would be the business.

We ordered the Cask at home box for the weekend. First order of takeaway anything since last autumn. Will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww that's a shame, shouldn't be rock-like. They got it wrong there. Should be crunchy , salty porkness. Like the crispy bit on a rather.

If you retry someday... Look out for porchetta on a menu (when things open up!) for crackling on the outside. It's pork wrapped around herbs /stuffing , slow cooked then crisped up. It's not a healthfood, but very tasty. Actually, I think O'Mahoney butchers do them if you cook at home.

pwurple wrote: »
    Delighted to hear Sonny's reopened! Must get a reuben in the next few weeks. My lockdown lunches at home are being pimped at the moment by crisps. (Yes, it's come to this level of boredom). But, have discovered that wheelies are great in a ham sandwich, snax do good things for a cheese sandwich and skips work in a tuna wrap . :D A fancy sandwich from Sonny's would be the business.

I've always maintained that there is more to a crisp sandwich (without getting into a debate on what are or aren't crisps) than cheese & Onion Tayto in white sliced bread with butter.
    I tip my hat at your experimentation !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

We ordered the Cask at home box for the weekend. First order of takeaway anything since last autumn. Will report back.

I got the smoked chicken roll. Must go back for the reuben!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Drdenise75

Where would people recommend for a good Pad Thai???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Got Paddy The Farmers last week - the featherblade beef was melt in your mouth.

Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Aww that's a shame, shouldn't be rock-like. They got it wrong there. Should be crunchy , salty porkness. Like the crispy bit on a rather.

If you retry someday... Look out for porchetta on a menu (when things open up!) for crackling on the outside. It's pork wrapped around herbs /stuffing , slow cooked then crisped up. It's not a healthfood, but very tasty. Actually, I think O'Mahoney butchers do them if you cook at home.

Spitjack do it on takeaway if you're looking for it!

• Advertisement

Drdenise75 wrote: »
    Where would people recommend for a good Pad Thai???

Koto maybe.

I like the one from Ramen but I know a lot of people on here don’t rate that place. I’d only buy it when it’s the 8 before 8pm.

Advertisement