Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardnacrusha and driving/commutes (and life in general)

Options
  • 08-02-2021 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I wanted to ask about Ardnacrusha as we might be looking at a house there. The immediate worry, by the map, seems to be getting out of there. How bad would the traffic at school run time (outside lockdown, obviously) be into Limerick if one takes that semi-circle through Parteen/Quinpool and then go past Thomond Park? The alternative, through Corbally, is rather notorious for traffic.

Also, just how bad is the route through O'Briens Bridge if one wants to end up in Lisnagry/Annacotty/Castletroy and to avoid city traffic? The last time I drove from the Clare side through O'Brien's Bridge was in 2007 and it was kinda forest roads, which might become tricly in bad weather - but what is it like now? I know that things are grand on the Limerick side of things.

Also is Ardnacrusha nice to live in, generally speaking?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't live in Ardnacrusha but I am out in co Clare and I use the same traffic routes to get into town

In terms of traffic - Firstly, you're right - In normal (non-covid) times, on a school morning. Corbally is a no-go between 8 & 9. Munchins & Scoil Ide makes it almost unusable, although once you get past Scoil Ide it does start to flow fairly ok from there.

I had to be in town for 9 o clock and I had found the best route was to go in through Parteen, down the the long pavement and then turn left at watchhouse cross and work your way into town. It's not too bad but you can get caught. I had to be in the city centre for 9 and I found, if I hit the cross for Parteen at 8, I'd be in the city center for 8:30 comfortably. But, if you are 10 or 15 minutes later hitting Parteen Cross, then you'll struggle to be in town for 9.

The O'Briens Bridge to Castleconnell/Dalys Cross road is the finest. A long way from forestry roads. (to be honest, I don't ever remember it being that bad). Coming in that way, when schools & UL are in full swing you might get caught at Finnegans roundabout for 10 or 15 minutes but never too bad really.

Not sure what Ardnacrusha is like to live in as I don't live there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks!

To clarify, my "forestry road" 2007 memory is not about O'Briensbridge to Daly's Cross - this was fine then too. It is about Clonlara to O'Briensbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

1st point is the traffic - School times are worst, Both routes to town via Longpavement or Corbally are bad during normal times, depends which direction you want to head in for which route to choose, I've no option as 1 drop to Munchins and 1 drop to ASM, worse from September to christmas for some odd reason, levels out a bit in new year, If I need to be in city centre for 9 and do both school drops its a 7.55 or 8am departure needed. be interesting to see the effect new traffic lights will have on flow when this is all over.

Back road to Caslteconnell is twisty but fine, its a long way round for not much benefit if City Centre is final destination, and I'd worry in bad icy weather,

As for general area, pretty quite for most part, and its due broadband upgrade shortly, been out there 16yrs.

Thanks a lot! There's a particular destination that is important for us in the Lisnagry/Annacotty area and another one is in Nenagh, which is why I'm kinda interested in the O'Briendbridge back road (not sure if it qualifies as a rat run).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

good shortcut for Nenagh turn off at Mountpelier for backroad to Birdhill, then old dublin rd or motorway, Misus drove it for years to work in Nenagh, not great at night, a road you'd learn if you know what I mean if travelled a lot, she did tear oil sump off car from huge rock dislodged from Lorry that rolled into road. But definate time saver for Nenagh direction -

give the road a drive to both directions and try it at night too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

BobMc wrote: »
    good shortcut for Nenagh turn off at Mountpelier for backroad to Birdhill, then old dublin rd or motorway, Misus drove it for years to work in Nenagh, not great at night, a road you'd learn if you know what I mean if travelled a lot, she did tear oil sump off car from huge rock dislodged from Lorry that rolled into road. But definate time saver for Nenagh direction -

Agreed. I was going to post the same myself.

Narrow enough road for the most part and fairly windy. On the plus side, the surface is fairly good on it though.

Once you get to Birdhill, you're as well on to keep going on the old N7 onto Nenagh and not bother going out onto the Motorway. But that might depend on what part of Nenagh you're going to (not that it's that big of a place..!!!)

BobMc wrote: »

Thanks! I now remember we actually drove this particular back road a few months ago, when we needed to get to Nenagh after a nice time on the river walks of O'briensbridge. (We didn't drive the Clare side then).

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Im live in that general locality and work in Castletroy.

The O Briens Bridge, castletroy route works perfectly every morning. You'll be to finegans roundabout in 25 minutes.

Ardnacrusha is a great place to live, there are a couple of well settled estates perfect for families and some really nice one off housing.

Advertisement