Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Decent enough trade for the Colts, didn't give up too much, I just don't think he's that good and I don't see them winning a superbowl with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Absolute bargain for the colts even if the 2nd rounder pays out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The 2022 2nd round pick becomes a 1st round pick if Wentz plays 70% of the snaps, or 70% and Colts make the playoffs.

Interesting to see how this works out. I'd probably lean towards Wentz being a flop in Indy, but nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

He obviously isn't the same player he was in his early seasons in Philly, but he is still very much worth the punt for the Colts, especially since he will reunite with Frank Reich.

Elsewhere, the NFL has announced that the salary cap will be at least $180 million.

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    He doesn't look the same player he was in his early seasons in Philly, but he is still very much worth the punt for the Colts, especially since he will reunite with Frank Reich.

Plus the one year he was a disaster was amidst maby the oddest season in nfl history. In that offence I could see him being excelent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

I think it was Chris Ballard that was the one to blink first to be honest.

The conditional 2022 2nd rounder is basically a 1st. Which is overpaying for Wentz. The Eagles shouldn't be getting a 1st for him (even if its in the 20s).

I guess we will see if we can reignite his career.

letowski wrote: »
    I think it was Chris Ballard that was the one to blink first to be honest.

The conditional 2022 2nd rounder is basically a 1st. Which is overpaying for Wentz. The Eagles shouldn't be getting a 1st for him (even if its in the 20s).

I guess we will see if we can reignite his career.

If he plays 75% of snaps or 70% and they make the playoffs theve gotten their money's worth out if the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Plus the one year he was a disaster was amidst maby the oddest season in nfl history. In that offence I could see him being excelent

Covid didn’t help the league as a whole with lack of an off season but come on other players didn’t fall off a cliff like he did. He needs to fix the off field issues he has because it won’t matter what offence he’s in if he doesn’t sort them and his clear on field issues. I was high on him when he first got drafted and that super bowl season had he not gotten injured he was in the MVP hunt. He’s not been fully fit since that season and the season just gone he was walking disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

nerd69 wrote: »
    If he plays 75% of snaps or 70% and they make the playoffs theve gotten their money's worth out if the deal

Can't agree. There are plenty of average to poor QBs in the league that hit those numbers who are obviously not worth a 3rd and a future 1st.

Wentz himself was around those requirements this year and he was atrocious.

At this point it seems reasonable enough trade for both sides, as they are each running a decent risk of looking very foolish this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I would say if the Colts aren't on track for the playoffs, they won't let Went hit 75%.

Worst scenario is Wentz uninspiring and they fall short in the last week or two after he gets his 75%. They're then down a 1st round pick and left with a question mark at QB still.

I would say if the Colts aren't on track for the playoffs, they won't let Went hit 75%.

Worst scenario is Wentz uninspiring and they fall short in the last week or two after he gets his 75%. They're then down a 1st round pick and left with a question mark at QB still.

I agree to a point. That might be their mindset but it is hard to see that playing out easily, aside from Wentz being injured for part of the early season. Given the Colts' performance the last few years, their roster plus likely additions, and their division it'll take something dramatic for them to be out of the playoff picture with 4 games to go to be able to pull him.

In your worst case scenario the Colts also still on the hook for $15m on Wentz the following season. They have the cap space now but that'll likely start to shrink fast very soon with many stars moving off their cheap deals. A wasted year with Wentz while they are so cheap would be a killer for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think 90% of fans think Wentz is broker, but Reich who traded for him will know him better than anyone having worked with him at Philly. He must see something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think 90% of fans think Wentz is broker, but Reich who traded for him will know him better than anyone having worked with him at Philly. He must see something

Yeah he is probably not as bad as what we saw last season, but equally he is not as good as what we saw in 2017. Could go either way but I like the landing spot for him, it’s probably as good as he could realistically have hoped for.

He needs some stability, get some weapons around him through the draft, he will have a good offensive line and a decent defence so there should be no excuses.

@Foxtrol that’s a good point about their cap. We keep hearing about all this money they have but that insane 2018 draft class they had are all eligible for second contracts now. Nelson and Leonard will want to reset the market at their positions and Smith is one of the best RT’s in the league. That roster is going to get expensive quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

I think the condition attached to the 2022 2nd round pick is purely for injury protection. I don't think it has anything to do with Wentz's form. The Colts are going to competing for a playoff spot next year, even if Wentz is mediocre, its never ideal to change your starting QB down the stretch when your in contention for the playoffs. Its pretty much a 2022 1st round pick.

It must be noted though that Wentz is probably the best option for the Colts going forward, looking at it holistically. There isn't a starting QB available on the FA market and maybe only Darnold available via trade. Chris Ballard can't go into a draft where its perfectly possible Lawernce, Fields, Wilson and Lance all go in the top 5. Realistic options at QB for the Colts were very scarce on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How is anybody paying for Wentz? I'd be looking for picks to take him we all.lnie the Eagles were in cap.hell.

eagle eye wrote: »
    How is anybody paying for Wentz? I'd be looking for picks to take him we all.lnie the Eagles were in cap.hell.

Eagles didn't save anything from trading Wentz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Apparently wentz and pederson weren't on speaking terms for most of the season.

Sounds about right now when you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nerd69 wrote:
    Eagles didn't save anything from trading Wentz

How does that work? They trade a player, his contract goes with him, it's way before the deadline. What am I missing?

eagle eye wrote: »
    How does that work? They trade a player, his contract goes with him, it's way before the deadline. What am I missing?

I think he means that they don’t save much on 2021 because of the dead cap charge. All the bonus money they spread out when he signed his new deal accelerates in to 2021 due to the trade making the cap charge roughly the same as if he was still on the roster for the year.

He will be off the books next year

• Advertisement

I think he means that they don’t save much on 2021 because of the dead cap charge. All the bonus money they spread out when he signed his new deal accelerates in to 2021 due to the trade making the cap charge roughly the same as if he was still on the roster for the year.

He will be off the books next year

Correct the dead cap means they are essentially paying a 5th of the cap this coming season to a player that's not there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Yeah, they take a hit up front, but get his toxic contract off the books thereafter.

Win for the Eagles. It was going to be difficult to get him back on track and they did surprisingly well in the trade.

But on the other hand I can see what Indy are thinking. Philly eating the signing bonus means that the contract is bad, but not terrible. And they didn't have any realistic alternatives. Picking 21 so all the good ones will likely be gone. And they weren't going to have sufficient resources to make a run at Wilson, Watson or even Carr. Wentz was dirt last season, but average to good other seasons. They have a very good roster, and this is the last year before many of their top players roll off rookie contracts.

Eagles releasing DeSean Jackson. Seems to be a clear out in Philly

paulie21 wrote: »

There will be a few more alshon, malik jackson and 4-5 other relatively big names have to go just to get us under the cap

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

paulie21 wrote: »

Not remotely surprised. Jason peters and probably Zack ertz will be out the door. I’m not that upset if there’s a clearing of the drift wood from the roster. Yes, next season may not be fun because of it but there needs to be a serious change in attitude and performance after last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

JJ Watt going to Arizona. That was definitely unexpected.

Turns out he wasn’t leaving Houston to win a Super bowl after all.

Turns out he wasn’t leaving Houston to win a Super bowl after all.

Seems like a really weird move for both sides. Cardinals had loads of holes even before the guys they're likely to lose in FA and Watt isn't coming cheap, eating through most of their cap space.

EDIT: To clarify, it is not weird at all from Watt's side if he was just going wherever offered him most.

• Advertisement

That’s a lot of money for a 32 year old with his injury history, I thought $10m a year was around his ceiling. They will sell lots of shirts I suppose but from a football / salary cap point of view I don’t think this is great for the Cardinals

Advertisement