Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Property Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yeah we are the same, saving loads. We still have childcare bills, rent and the usual food shopping, utility bills etc. Before covid I was spending a lot more on petrol, going out for food and drinks, holidays... There are people I work with who used to never save and instead spend an absolute fortune on going out and going on holidays and now I hear they have saved a house deposit.

That house in Ballinlough is fabulous. A lot of houses in that road sold a few years ago for great prices. They almost all need renovating but great if you have the money for it. Fab garden.

Looks good alright, if you look at the pictures tho, the insulation fixings are showing above the windows. All the window reveals apart from the new extension out the back are showing signs of dampness or mould. Might still be a few quid needed to solve those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Looks good alright, if you look at the pictures tho, the insulation fixings are showing above the windows. All the window reveals apart from the new extension out the back are showing signs of dampness or mould. Might still be a few quid needed to solve those issues.

Always danger there with a house like that. Still wont go for less than 500 Id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Always danger there with a house like that. Still wont go for less than 500 Id say

In the market myself at the moment due to selling my current house and a few estate agents I was talking to reckon that house in ballinlough could go for €520k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mav11 wrote: »
    It sold in 2011 for €100k and again in 2018 for €335k. Quick money @ €500k!!

I reckon they would have paid quite a lot for the renovation though! Especially with building costs in the last couple of years.

In the market myself at the moment due to selling my current house and a few estate agents I was talking to reckon that house in ballinlough could go for €520k

Getting into saucy range at 520k but nothing shocks me anymore. Noone tell McWilliams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Getting into saucy range at 520k but nothing shocks me anymore. Noone tell McWilliams!

Heard they are offers closer to 550k... absolutely madness if true.

I reckon they would have paid quite a lot for the renovation though! Especially with building costs in the last couple of years.

I doubt they would be making much money on 500k given the renovation that's been done and the cost of work as you rightly point out.

Very few houses ready made for young families to move into in the city without the need to renovate. That will tick lots of boxes for loads of people so I am not surprised it is attracting lots of interest.

As someone who has come out the end of a full two year renovation with a young family in tow, there is a lot to be said for buying a ready to move in place like that.

It's also a lovely house and would be great for a family with small kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I just yesterday had someone who is selling right now tell me that they had the price of their modern (MAX) 400k apartment just outside town driven up to 600k (for an APARTMENT) because nosy cunts just wanted to have a look. The damage already done on the price, their offer was withdrawn. They're back at 400 now with potential genuine offers in between now gone.

I just yesterday had someone who is selling right now tell me that they had the price of their modern (MAX) 400k apartment just outside town driven up to 600k (for an APARTMENT) because nosy cunts just wanted to have a look. The damage already done on the price, their offer was withdrawn. They're back at 400 now with potential genuine offers in between now gone.

That is really annoying. Hopefully some of other bidders still around. If it went up that much must have been lot more interest outside of the person who pulled out. You would think they would view it soon after sale agreed and therefore if fell through early it would be unlikely other buyers moved on that fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is it just me that doesn't like these semi detached new builds? Few friends have bought lately and they are the same houses regardless of location, all on top of each other. Small garden, you and your neighbours door spaced out by about 3 feet.

Give me a 3 bed bungalow on a nice site instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

rob316 wrote: »
    Is it just me that doesn't like these semi detached new builds? Few friends have bought lately and they are the same houses regardless of location, all on top of each other. Small garden, you and your neighbours door spaced out by about 3 feet.

It's not so much that I have any issue with a semi-detached house it is just so difficult to look at any largescale new builds at the moment and not think of a child's lego set. I think the fact that all the shrubbery is new that it makes the compactness of these new estates worse. Once trees and hedges start to become established I am sure that the harsh edge of these new builds will be softened, even if just a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

rob316 wrote: »

Yep. Im in alot of them and there a big differences in quality imo.
    Hate the heat pump ones. Always too hot or too cold. Or giant rads.

No fan that your front garden is now 2 parking spaces. Rear gardens are small.

Most with 4th bedroom is where the attic space would be. So no overflow storage. Hot press is taken up with larger solar cylinders.

Note there is very few small houses or 2 bed houses? Regs mean its unprofitable

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Yep. Im in alot of them and there a big differences in quality imo.
    Hate the heat pump ones. Always too hot or too cold. Or giant rads.

No fan that your front garden is now 2 parking spaces. Rear gardens are small.

Most with 4th bedroom is where the attic space would be. So no overflow storage. Hot press is taken up with larger solar cylinders.

Note there is very few small houses or 2 bed houses? Regs mean its unprofitable

I noticed that about the 4th bedroom, two of the lads bought in the same estate, one a 3 bed, the other a 4 bed, exact same size house just the attic was converted for the 4th room. Like 30k of a difference.

Over half a million for a house in a large housing estate in Ballincollig :confused: I mean it's a lovely house but seems like a bit much? https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-11-the-close-coolroe-meadows-ballincollig-co-cork/3170096

Over half a million for a house in a large housing estate in Ballincollig :confused: I mean it's a lovely house but seems like a bit much? https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-11-the-close-coolroe-meadows-ballincollig-co-cork/3170096

Nice house and location. Garden north facing. Im always unsure how big a deal to make of aspect. Like the idea of west facing garden sounds great for sitting out on nice evening but then how many of those do we get.

• Advertisement

It's nice but doesn't look spacious at all and they make all these pictures look bigger than they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

That estate has a mad busy road running right thru the middle of it too, which that house appears to be directly facing.

Nice house and location. Garden north facing. Im always unsure how big a deal to make of aspect. Like the idea of west facing garden sounds great for sitting out on nice evening but then how many of those do we get.

The house I grew up in has a North facing back garden and my Mother spent so much time sitting out in the front garden when we were your younger. I think a North or East facing garden would be a deal breaker for us. Unless it was very large. I just think that seems like a crazy price for that house, maybe I'm wrong.

It's very important. You'll get so much more use out of a south facing back garden.

At first glance I thought there was a bar in the shower!!

Its not a bad spot at all, layout seems ok if you look at the map on the last pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Wouldn't last long at that level of pristineness, if I was living there!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seems fairly amazing to me tbh. Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Seems fairly amazing to me tbh. Each to their own.

Yeah. Pretty savage.
    It seems to me like the difference between 450k and 650k isn't all that, in terms of what you get for your money.
    But then go another 200k and the difference is huge. 400 sq m and an indoor pool. And the place is immaculate.

Yeah it’s a lovely job in fairness when you compare it to other houses in that estate that have gone for sale in the last few years. No doubt will go for a good bit over asking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very nice indeed but surely a quick power wash on the bricks and driveway in the front and paths at the back could have been done. Small job but would clean it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very nice indeed but surely a quick power wash on the bricks and driveway in the front and paths at the back could have been done. Small job but would clean it up nicely.

Thought the exact same when I saw it
    Plus have no idea why they went for a blue front and garage door when the windows are brown framed? It looks very mismatched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

leahyl wrote: »
    Lovely house but expensive :(

Prob sell for 375 to 400

whatever76 wrote: »
    Yea spotted that on Paper - the owners did a fab renovation on it , be interesting to see how far over asking it will g. Imagine half a million for a semi-d in ballinlough !

That was quick, gone sale agreed!

• Advertisement

That was quick, gone sale agreed!

Wow, someone must have come in with one heck of an offer!

Lovely house. Best of luck to whoever got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Not quite the city but an absolute steal.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-ros-ard-upper-glanmire-glanmire-cork-city/4478871

I would get it myself but I'm not in a position to move to Glanmire.
    whatever76 wrote: »

Needs minimum €150k to make it habitable. You'd think they would tidy up the leaves in the back garden :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-ros-ard-upper-glanmire-glanmire-cork-city/4478871

Needs minimum €150k to make it habitable. You'd think they would tidy up the leaves in the back garden :rolleyes:

That's out in the middle of nowhere, no bus route. Not the Glanmire we think of when someone mentions it.

A 70sq m 2 bed in some random estate in the middle of nowhere for well above a quarter of a million being called a "steal" just shows how broken our housing system is right now......

Steal? That should be 150k tops, price is ridiculous and will probably go closer to 300k

Lovely house here and not a bad price for the work gone into it. Will sell for a lot more surely. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-118-lower-glanmire-road-co-cork/3199582

Lovely house here and not a bad price for the work gone into it. Will sell for a lot more surely. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-118-lower-glanmire-road-co-cork/3199582

Bought for €145k in 2015. Wouldn't be a big fan of the Lr Rd. myself, but not much of a return at €295k, given what must have been put into it over the years.

• Advertisement

Bought for €145k in 2015. Wouldn't be a big fan of the Lr Rd. myself, but not much of a return at €295k, given what must have been put into it over the years.

Saw that today too, when I googled the address it got interesting. As well as showing the last sale as 145, there's an article about the owners getting a windfall tax refund that they had not expected of 32 grand due to the living cities initiative. Now on sale for 295, and will go for more.

The owners have done a lovely job on the house, and the living cities initiative is really one of the better ones that should be pushed a lot more, but............

Double your money in five years. What bubble?

RINO87 wrote: »
    Saw that today too, when I googled the address it got interesting. As well as showing the last sale as 145, there's an article about the owners getting a windfall tax refund that they had not expected of 32 grand due to the living cities initiative. Now on sale for 295, and will go for more.

The owners have done a lovely job on the house, and the living cities initiative is really one of the better ones that should be pushed a lot more, but............

A lot of money put into it over the years. Nothing cheap there. Wouldn't think the original investment has doubled.

A lot of money put into it over the years. Nothing cheap there. Wouldn't think the original investment has doubled.

Yeah, it is a really nice job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

kitchen is fab !!

RINO87 wrote: »

Just found the article. Looks like one of the owners is an engineer. They did a great job. That living cities initiative is brilliant alright. Very few people seem to know about to. Lots of houses in areas on the map that could be done up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That looks lovely.
    But...
    There's 51 photos and not a single one of the front of the house.
    What's the story there?

Edit. Found it on maps. Nothing wrong with the front of the house but there is nothing attractive about that part of that street.
    Central location, though.

That property is cheap because people don't seem to value city centre property in Cork. If that was in an estate somewhere, it would go for twice the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks lovely.
    But...
    There's 51 photos and not a single one of the front of the house.
    What's the story there?

There's no story I'm sure, just click on street view below and you'll see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

leahyl wrote: »
    There's no story I'm sure, just click on street view below and you'll see it.

I did.
    It just seems extremely odd to include 51 pics but forget the front of the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

That looks lovely.

That property is cheap because people don't seem to value city centre property in Cork. If that was in an estate somewhere, it would go for twice the money.

Id imagine it’s up at that price to grab the people who’s saved searches only go to 300k ... I’d say they’d be hoping to get closer to €350k and if the current market is anything to go by, that will be no bother.

That area has traditionally been seen as a fairly grim place to live, but with the regeneration of the doclklands, Macurtain St etc, it should be more desirable, but not sure if that’s the case in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I remember reading about that house in the paper & it was what got me onto that Living City scheme for my own place. Looks very good in the pics.

As people say not a great area, a friend of mine used to live in Myrtle Hill Terrace further on toward Tivoli & she mentioned that she always used to cycle a bit faster whenever she had to pass through. Will improve I'm sure with all the new developments in the docs but I'd be slow personally to live on such a busy road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I've just moved from Mahony's ave, just around the corner the house on LGR. Loved Mahony's ave but it's a colourful area to say the least. Some great neighbours, but also some unsavoury locals. I know there was stabbing on the road a few houses away from the 1 above, it wasn't even in the news even do I know the victim reported the assault and possibly the attackers were identified. Also, lots of "hostels" in the area. It wouldn't be strange to see an ambulance in the area tending to an overdose.
    Lots of potential with the area but an open mind would be needed to live there. Saying that, LGR road might not be as busy in the future with potential new access roads to the city, it could be a great area to live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement