Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The difference is its posh Southside chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mire wrote: »
    Nice KFC? Surely KFC is KFC?

It's the best looking KFC I've been in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/caffe-nero-has-irons-in-the-fire-at-ovens-bar-in-cork-city-450815.html

UK coffee chain Caffe Nero to open in old Ovens bar on Oliver Plunkett St and also subject to planning permission, in a unit next to Easons at 110 Patrick Street.  Cork is well and truly becoming a destination for all the major coffee players!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/caffe-nero-has-irons-in-the-fire-at-ovens-bar-in-cork-city-450815.html

UK coffee chain Caffe Nero to open in old Ovens bar on Oliver Plunkett St and also subject to planning permission, in a unit next to Easons at 110 Patrick Street. Cork is well and truly becoming a destination for all the major coffee players!

Like we need yet another coffee shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

Pippa O Connors pop up shop is coming to Mahon Point!

• Advertisement

Another doughnut place opened opposite the roundy, that's 4 now that have opened in what seems like only a few months. Prices same as the other 3 but didn't try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Another doughnut place opened opposite the roundy, that's 4 now that have opened in what seems like only a few months. Prices as the other 3 but didn't try it.
    It's gas how each year there is a craze for a certain type of niche product shop (one year it was juice bars, then old fashioned sweet shops, then burrito bars etc, etc).  Donuts seem to be the 2017 in vogue shop! You wonder though if selling donuts and nothing else is sustainable in the very long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Roosters Piri Piri opening in Blackpool. Vacant unit across from Costa. After we talking about few places to eat this is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Roosters Piri Piri opening in Blackpool. Vacant unit across from Costa. After we talking about few places to eat this is great!

Oh nice one, I like Roosters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

ongarboy wrote: »
    It's gas how each year there is a craze for a certain type of niche product shop (one year it was juice bars, then old fashioned sweet shops, then burrito bars etc, etc). Donuts seem to be the 2017 in vogue shop! You wonder though if selling donuts and nothing else is sustainable in the very long term?

And call me nuts but I think all these "gourmet" donuts aren't that great (at least the ones I've tried) and aren't really worth the money. Give me a simple sugared ring donut any day.

Wonder what the next food craze will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Murrisk wrote: »

Pulled donuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I need a grilled cheese craze! Tell your friends? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

nerwen wrote: »
    I need a grilled cheese craze! Tell your friends? :D

There was a great grilled chesse place in cork called oscers it just didn't last :(.

I miss therr grilled chicken and chesse sandwitchs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Murrisk wrote: »
    And call me nuts but I think all these "gourmet" donuts aren't that great (at least the ones I've tried) and aren't really worth the money. Give me a simple sugared ring donut any day.

Some of them are just adding toppings/fillings to bought in donuts, so they'll be average at best. I see that Aungier Danger (never been there, but people do seem to rave about the place) are having a beer and donut pairing evening in the Franciscan Well next month. I wonder does it signal an intent to move into Cork.

Huckleberrys is the first and probably the best one and from what I see he has built his business off some very strong social media marketing. The others I'm not so sure and from what I've tasted aren't great.

It's like the cupcakes craze to be honest but the difference between that and now is the economy is far better so it can support new businesses opening in that market.

There is reportedly going to be 7 shops before the end of the summer, I would agree that is far too much to sustain for such a small population. I'm not even sure Dublin city centre has that many.

I'd still kill for a Dunkins or Krispy Kreme though.

There was a great grilled chesse place in cork called oscers it just didn't last :(.

I miss therr grilled chicken and chesse sandwitchs :(

I loved that place, excellent sandwich. The owner from what I know, opened a franchise there STREAT it was called, needless to say it was ****e, he changed it to Oscars but some legal wrangling with the franchise company left him in trouble and he couldn't sustain Oscars. Real shame, lovely fella the owner too.

rob316 wrote: »
    Huckleberrys is the first and probably the best one and from what I see he has built his business off some very strong social media marketing. The others I'm not so sure and from what I've tasted aren't great.

It's like the cupcakes craze to be honest but the difference between that and now is the economy is far better so it can support new businesses opening in that market.

There is reportedly going to be 7 shops before the end of the summer, I would agree that is far too much to sustain for such a small population. I'm not even sure Dublin city centre has that many.

What do people think of their location? Are they getting much business from the College of Comm. Can't see that place being sustainable myself; especially as I found the quality extremely average there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »

Agree on Krispy Kreme....wonder will we see late entry into the market by them i.e. when the influx we're now experiencing has whittled down, which I think is inevitable. Cork won't sustain the surge in confectionary businesses imo but I'm open to correction on that
    What do people think of their location? Are they getting much business from the College of Comm. Can't see that place being sustainable myself; especially as I found the quality extremely average there.

I think the location required a strong online marketing campaign which it certainly has gone and setup for itself. It's building a brand & I think what we'll see is a second location opening as per Ramen (had a post on how they seemed to corner off the Asian street food market within a year or so, a few weeks back). Could be city centre to take on their competition, or maybe a smarter move would be to branch out to Douglas/Blackpool etc.

I'm not a business expert but I'd think that building your brand whilst increasing your reach would be best - one in Douglas would be a smart call

On quality - I think it can improve for sure, not sure I've seen calls for feedback/suggestions but the one with the creme egg on it - wtf is a full creme egg doing on a doughnut, complete, glutenous overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yer man from Idaho was on Twitter last night complaining about the amount of doughnut places. He definitely doesn't like competition. All his whinging is what will put people off his place, not the amount of competition.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Agree on Krispy Kreme....wonder will we see late entry into the market by them i.e. when the influx we're now experiencing has whittled down, which I think is inevitable. Cork won't sustain the surge in confectionary businesses imo but I'm open to correction on that

I think the location required a strong online marketing campaign which it certainly has gone and setup for itself. It's building a brand & I think what we'll see is a second location opening as per Ramen (had a post on how they seemed to corner off the Asian street food market within a year or so, a few weeks back). Could be city centre to take on their competition, or maybe a smarter move would be to branch out to Douglas/Blackpool etc.

I'm not a business expert but I'd think that building your brand whilst increasing your reach would be best - one in Douglas would be a smart call

On quality - I think it can improve for sure, not sure I've seen calls for feedback/suggestions but the one with the creme egg on it - wtf is a full creme egg doing on a doughnut, complete, glutenous overkill

They seem to be doing everything else right, while ignoring the actual core product. I'm just waiting for that really strong entrant - that ticks every box - and that they'll be the only one to survive this latest fad. Then again, Ramen.

• Advertisement

Yer man from Idaho was on Twitter last night complaining about the amount of doughnut places. He definitely doesn't like competition. All his whinging is what will put people off his place, not the amount of competition.

He's a baby. All the doughnut shops are independents, not chains, what more does he want.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Think you're taking the whole donut thing a little too seriously folks.

I have to say I do think the dounghts are very nice from these places, even if they are a bit expensive. I've eaten them from Oh and Huckleberrys and thought it was much of a muchness between them (both very nice). Apparently the place on/near Oliver Plunektt street is the nicest of the original 3 and it has the best location too. Going to try it this week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Visited the western suburbs recently. Huge Lidl being beside CUH in the petrol station site. Traffic will be even more fun there once it opens.

Good to see the Old Muskerry service station site come to life, even it may probably be a high rise apartment building.

Oliver Plunektt street is the worst of the lot ....

Only place my girlfriend and i have binned our donuts just so so bad.

Oh My donut Peanut Butter one is the best

Oliver Plunektt street is the worst of the lot ....

Only place my girlfriend and i have binned our donuts just so so bad.

Oh My donut Peanut Butter one is the best

Strange one, friend of mine who regularly frequented oh and Huckleberrys previously is raving about the one on oliver plunkett street since trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mire wrote: »
    Think you're taking the whole donut thing a little too seriously folks.

Ah I don't know. I think it warrants a discussion because I can't remember ever seeing such a surge in businesses of the same kind opening in Cork tbqh

Ultimately, none of us want to see businesses closing down, but you get the feeling that the laws of Economics will come down hard on a few of the places springing up in Cork right now. I think currently one or two can adequately service the city so the reports of several being open by mid summer is alarming.

I haven't tried Oh my Donut but I think the Shack, while offering more selection, will probably go first - coffee in there is poor - seems they rushed to market and fired in a machine and their social media presence is poor. Google Doughnuts Cork and they've no google reviews in comparison to their competitors. That said - they're in prime position for foot traffic.

The shack great localization but the rates and the rent will be crazy there. I say the rates could be about 6 or 7 grand and that's a lot of coffee and donuts to sell just to pay that.

I dont wont to see anyone out of a job but the market is going to be going into over kill before you know it with donuts places. As i do not think there is going to be room in the market for 7 places cork is not that big of a city after all.

FYI Social media means noting to have busy a business is ;). I know of plenty of places don't use social media at all and the there business is flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Some of them are just adding toppings/fillings to bought in donuts, so they'll be average at best. I see that Aungier Danger (never been there, but people do seem to rave about the place) are having a beer and donut pairing evening in the Franciscan Well next month. I wonder does it signal an intent to move into Cork.

No, even Aungier Danger and the Rolling Donut left me cold. Well, apart from the simple ring one from Rolling Donut.

• Advertisement

The Shack is atleast the only one that make their donuts in house as they are part of O Keefe's Bakery.

Advertisement