Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Overall, I quite like Belfast, and I would agree that it feels a lot safer and less scummy than Dublin, especially in the City Center.

I shared a house on Candahar Street in Ballynafeigh (one block over from Dehli Street) with two guys from Tyrone and a fellow from Kilkenny - the Kilkenny guy never had a lick of trouble, and neither did his friend from Louth who lived around the corner. And the house next door was full of Dubs. I am an obvious foreigner and not only did I not have any problems, but I loved the area - there is a fantastic butcher (McCreery's) and nice green grocers on the Ormeau Road, a big park, a library, and it's an easy walk into town (and to the train & bus stations). Crossing the Lagan in the early morning or at dusk was always a highlight of the day. The one thing I will say is that it's worthwhile to take the time to look around a bit; I found that many of the shared houses in the area were not well maintained, and a lot of them were pretty filthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amarl11

Hi there,

I plan to move to Belfast in May with my partner who already works up there.

We're from Tyrone, so not that far away, but we live in a small town so it'l be a big change moving to a big city.

I've been looking at both property and job sites but there is so much info it's hard to know where to start.

We need a house/flat near the m1 on the west side of Belfast, as my partner works on the M1 mostly, but also close to city as i assume thats where the work is? (i will be looking for a job when we move up)

I was looking at houses on the Lisburn Road/Donegall Road? Preferably £450 per month max for rent.

Also, workwise, i would be looking for work in admin/PA/reception, can anyone recommend the best agencies to sign up to and newspapers/websites to find work? There just seems to be so much online its mind-boggling!

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the belfast telegraph is usually good for jobs, below is the link to its jobsection.

http://www.nijobfinder.co.uk/index.php

daft.ie is a good place for housing listings

http://www.daft.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

DONT !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

proon4 wrote: »
    DONT !!!!!!
    Any more trolling and you will be out of here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

How is the OP getting on? Been living on the Lisburn Rd since September and it's been great so far, people are very friendly even if they always ask if I'm from Dublin :D

A beers should definitely happen

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭6679

I have been offered a job in the Titanic Quarter I have lived my hole life in the south even though I was born in the North. So I dont really know what to do for the following:
    Which bank should I set up with and what do I need?
    How to I get my social security number and what do I need?
    Can I use an southern address for the above?
    What sites can I search for accommodation?

I dont know anyone in Belfast and I was wondering how will I get to know people outside of work? I am only 23 so I would like to meet people my own age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

6679 wrote: »
    Which bank should I set up with and what do I need?
    How to I get my social security number and what do I need?
    Can I use an southern address for the above?
    What sites can I search for accommodation?

Congrats on the job offer!

1. Banks are much of muchness so it's usually a case of whoever is nearest to where you live or who is offering a free moneybox :D. The main indigenous banks are Ulster Bank, Northern Bank, First Trust and BOI and you'll also see mainlaind GB banks like Alliance & Leicester, The Cooperative and Santander. To open an account you need photo id (passport is usually best) and one if not two proofs of address. I gather that some of the local banks will let you open an account with an ROI address but I have no experience of it myself.

2. To get your National Insurance Number (NINO) you need to make an appointment at your local jobs & benefits office (JBO) once if they handle NINO applications. They'll also check you haven't already been allocated a number. You can only do this once you're actually resident in NI as you need a local address. You'll need photo ID and potentially some other bits and pieces and will have a short interview (nothing heavy) and then you'll get the number a week or two later.

3. See 1 & 2.

4. Propertynews.com, daft.ie, spareroom.co.uk and gumtree Belfast are handy enough sites. Gumtree is particularly useful if you need somewhere to crash for a couple of weeks while you settle in as people often advertise short-term lets/shares on there.

A good site in general with tons of info on moving North is borderpeople.info

Northern folks are very friendly and Belfast is a very vibrant city for nightlife/gigs/sports etc. so there's lots of opportunities to meet people. Also with the unis and FE colleges there's no end of stuff to get into!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Moved up here 12months ago and love belfast. live on Annadale Embankment and really havent had one bit of trouble, even driving a southern reg car.

Great city and easy to get around.

Up for drinks if anyone is organising!

Come to think of it I think my dad actually has a Northern back account even though he has an southern address but this was set up many moon ago.
    pow wow wrote: »
    2. To get your National Insurance Number (NINO) you need to make an appointment at your local jobs & benefits office (JBO) once if they handle NINO applications. They'll also check you haven't already been allocated a number. You can only do this once you're actually resident in NI as you need a local address. You'll need photo ID and potentially some other bits and pieces and will have a short interview (nothing heavy) and then you'll get the number a week or two later.

Humm, I was planning on commuting for the first few weeks due to the fact I only live about an hour away from Belfast but in the south. So will I be allowed to work without this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Come to think of it I think my dad actually has a Northern back account even though he has an southern address but this was set up many moon ago.

Humm, I was planning on commuting for the first few weeks due to the fact I only live about an hour away from Belfast but in the south. So will I be allowed to work without this?
    see if you can get it sent to your new place of work.

It took an hour or two for my interview in the office near shaftbury square. Ridiculous waste of time and resources by the civil service but seemingly they have to treat you as if you are a potential illegal immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

You can work for 2 months (I think) without a NI number. My interview took less than 30 mins. You are supposed to bring a lot of paperwork with you, eg Proof of address, of searching for work etc, but my interviewer told me as I am from the South, I didn't actually need all that as I was guaranteed to be granted the NI number.
    Working in the Titanic Quarter means there's loads of apartments near by for you to choose from - the new apartments in the Titanic quarter, Quaygate near the Odyssey complex, the new Obel building etc...
    Getting a bank account can be difficult, I had to change the address on my southern account to my northern address, get a statement from them and use that to get a NI bank account

You can definitely start work without it - it just complicates things a little for your employer's payroll section with deductions and whatnot. If they know you're moving up I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tqu80

I was just in Belfast last weekend and had a great time. After browsing the comments here, I just want to finish my degree asap and move up! Nowhere has ever grabbed me so much! :)

Temping and office work is easy to come by? Although not my dream job, it's a starting point in moving in the right direction, both physically from Cork and career wise!

It's easier to come by than Cork that's for sure, though things have started to slow down jobswise in Belfast of late.

amarl11 wrote: »

Also, workwise, i would be looking for work in admin/PA/reception, can anyone recommend the best agencies to sign up to and newspapers/websites to find work? There just seems to be so much online its mind-boggling!

Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Website wise nijobs.com and nijobfinder.co.uk are pretty good (the latter has most of the Telegraph jobs on it too). The Belfast Telegraph has public sector jobs on Tuesdays and everything else on Thursdays. The jobcentre website has some decent jobs on it aswell.

I worked through Apple and Diamond and found them ok - I can't really comment on the others as I've not had any experience of them. Grafton have some public sector temping contracts as do Apple Recruitment, which may or may not be your thing!

Re. location most of the office jobs are either in town or in the industrial estates on the outskirts (Boucher etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

This current link may also offer help and advice

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Move to London.

Move to London.

I get the impression from their post that they're kinda sold on Belfast right now.

I get the impression from their post that they're kinda sold on Belfast right now.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I went to uni in Belfast and worked for 6 months after. Great student life, work life not so good. I find they hate everyone who is remotely different. In saying that, there are lots of people who don't. Just being honest.

• Advertisement

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I went to uni in Belfast and worked for 6 months after. Great student life, work life not so good. I find they hate everyone who is remotely different. In saying that, there are lots of people who don't. Just being honest.

My circumstances were similar in that I went to uni there first and then stayed on for work but I had a totally different experience. It cuts both ways I suppose. I don't think a bad experience should put anyone off giving it a go though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont have any great experience of Belfast but I have visited and stayed there many times and find the places and people to be most welcoming.

Its good in one way to see another viewpoint but from reading all the posts on the forum and particularly this thread it appears that the majority of people have a pleasant experience.

Thanks everyone, it's good to hear it's not all happy days up north too. London is an option, as it Scotland. :rolleyes: I dunno where to go, just not Cork! I had just been reading such good things about Belfast and had a great experience myself. I have another few months to decide and weigh up options.

I have applied for a masters in QUB, it would be great to get it and study there... Fingers crossed!

tqu80 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, it's good to hear it's not all happy days up north too. London is an option, as it Scotland. :rolleyes: I dunno where to go, just not Cork! I had just been reading such good things about Belfast and had a great experience myself. I have another few months to decide and weigh up options.

I have applied for a masters in QUB, it would be great to get it and study there... Fingers crossed!

In terms of doing a Master's there, I'd recommend Belfast. You may have to be strong willed and not stay in the pub when you should be studying but that's the same anywhere I suppose. I did my M.Sc. up there.

I was probably being a little harsh on the place but I have lived in Dublin and London since and have found both much better. It's only the uneducated locals that are small-minded but it's unlikely you'll be mixing with them, same as anywhere. I think one of the reasons is that I like big cities, I like everything that is happening in the country to happen in my city. Belfast is cheap as chips in comparison.

The boys up there will not be able to understand your accent but they'll love it non-the-less.

In terms of doing a Master's there, I'd recommend Belfast. You may have to be strong willed and not stay in the pub when you should be studying but that's the same anywhere I suppose. I did my M.Sc. up there.

I was probably being a little harsh on the place but I have lived in Dublin and London since and have found both much better. It's only the uneducated locals that are small-minded but it's unlikely you'll be mixing with them, same as anywhere. I think one of the reasons is that I like big cities, I like everything that is happening in the country to happen in my city. Belfast is cheap as chips in comparison.

The boys up there will not be able to understand your accent but they'll love it non-the-less.

I have managed to stay out of the pub in Cork all these years! I do admit, I am attracted to the big cities also. But studying in a big city I can imagine is expensive business. I don't think I can afford London just yet.

As far as accents go, I love that Northern accent! ;) Although, when we were around Belfast, I was understood by most people. But my sister who has been living in london for years, was not understood at all!

Just wondering about my health insurance I am currently with VHI but as part of my package with my new job they pay my private health insurance so I was wondering what do I do?

If I cancel my insurance in the south does that mean I wont be able to go to the doctor in the south? ie have a operation done in the south?

Just wondering about my health insurance I am currently with VHI but as part of my package with my new job they pay my private health insurance so I was wondering what do I do?

If I cancel my insurance in the south does that mean I wont be able to go to the doctor in the south? ie have a operation done in the south?

You could, you'd just have to pay for it! Tbh the NHS is very good in NI, from experience much better than in England. Also any kind of referral to a doctor/hospital in ROI would be a nightmare (if it's even possible) so if you were pretty sure the move was permanent or long-term you'd probably save yourself a lot of money by cancelling the VHI.

You could, you'd just have to pay for it! Tbh the NHS is very good in NI, from experience much better than in England. Also any kind of referral to a doctor/hospital in ROI would be a nightmare (if it's even possible) so if you were pretty sure the move was permanent or long-term you'd probably save yourself a lot of money by cancelling the VHI.

Would I need to get travel insurance for being in the south if I cancel the VHI?

If you're spending huge amounts of time down there and/or have an ongoing illness that requires treatment then maybe keeping the VHI is the best thing (if they'd allow you to living in NI)? For a relatively healthy person who is only there for the odd weekend/week at a time it's not really value for money, unless you're struck down by a terrible illness of course!

• Advertisement

How much is the Metro Smartlink card and is the only place I can get it beside City hall?

Advertisement