Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Treadhead wrote: »
    You're fecked if you want to stroll to the pub for a pint though! ;)

Lisburn road is strollable and you the Chelsea and Ryan's, Ormeau road has the Pavaillion, Judes and Errigle.

Granted if you are as far out as Forrestside you are fecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Judes is gone and replaced by some spidey outfit full of cokeheads so avoid at all costs.

Parador is there also.

Errigle being the best of the lot although the most expensive.

I am past forestside , closest is the beechhill inn , nightmare.
    Although it does keep me out of the pub everyday :)

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Judes is gone and replaced by some spidey outfit full of cokeheads so avoid at all costs.

Parador is there also.

Errigle being the best of the lot although the most expensive.

I am past forestside , closest is the beechhill inn , nightmare.
    Although it does keep me out of the pub everyday :)

Judes gone, my house mates gf used to work there.
    Annies used to be my pub of choice although it is now called "The Bar With No Name"

Albeit I do not go out in Belfast at all anymore, if I stay up it's because I work late else I shoot back to Donegal :) Hup Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im currently thinking of moving to Belfast and do office work seems much more availability than down South at the moment and always fancied living there for a year or so.

Just wondering what is a good annual Salary? Would you be able to live okay on 16,000-20,000 range?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Im currently thinking of moving to Belfast and do office work seems much more availability than down South at the moment and always fancied living there for a year or so.

Just wondering what is a good annual Salary? Would you be able to live okay on 16,000-20,000 range?

People do I am sure.

Just need to look at your outgoings.

I assume you are going to be sharing?
    When I was sharing 4 of us in a 4 bed townhouse we where looking about 200 a month and that was fairly good.

I rented a house on my own as well and I paid 600 a month..

How you live your life other than that really is up to you!

• Advertisement

People do I am sure.

Just need to look at your outgoings.

I assume you are going to be sharing?
    When I was sharing 4 of us in a 4 bed townhouse we where looking about 200 a month and that was fairly good.

I rented a house on my own as well and I paid 600 a month..

How you live your life other than that really is up to you!

What would you need to earn to get a place on your own?
    Is it easy meeting new people through clubs etc..?
    Or do you find it difficult?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    What would you need to earn to get a place on your own?
    Is it easy meeting new people through clubs etc..?
    Or do you find it difficult?

For me I just met people through work, even the guys I moved in with I worked with one and the other two I did not know at the time.

End of the day the more money you earn the more freedom you have.

I think 16 - 20K will take average 18K your take home is going to be 1270.

Personally I would not want to be spending 600 for rent almost half your income, you share I am sure you will get somewhere for under 300.

Let's say 20 - 30 on electic a month.
    Lets say 20 - 30 on heating.

Rent and untilities sharing you could do for 300 all in.
    That leaves you the better part of the 1000 for all other living costs.

If you rent on your own it could be closer to 650.
    Also things like TV licence, sky, broadband will also be things you need to take out on your own, sharing you this might only cost an extra 20 a month, on your own 80.

So now you are 320 sharing 730 on your own.

Then transport, do you have a car?
    Will you get the bus?

A bus ticket in town get a metro card will work out about 1.30 or so I think per maybe less cannot remember so maybe 20 quid a week, 80 a month.

Or if you are close to work you can walk or cycle.

Again tack that on you are looking 400 sharing and 810 on your own.
    But we have now including rent, heat, electric, entertainment and weekly travel.

With sharing you will have 870 or just over 200 per week for other things.
    On your own you are looking 400 will be less that 100 per week for other things.

For me I just met people through work, even the guys I moved in with I worked with one and the other two I did not know at the time.

End of the day the more money you earn the more freedom you have.

I think 16 - 20K will take average 18K your take home is going to be 1270.

Personally I would not want to be spending 600 for rent almost half your income, you share I am sure you will get somewhere for under 300.

Let's say 20 - 30 on electic a month.
    Lets say 20 - 30 on heating.

Rent and untilities sharing you could do for 300 all in.
    That leaves you the better part of the 1000 for all other living costs.

If you rent on your own it could be closer to 650.
    Also things like TV licence, sky, broadband will also be things you need to take out on your own, sharing you this might only cost an extra 20 a month, on your own 80.

So now you are 320 sharing 730 on your own.

Then transport, do you have a car?
    Will you get the bus?

A bus ticket in town get a metro card will work out about 1.30 or so I think per maybe less cannot remember so maybe 20 quid a week, 80 a month.

Or if you are close to work you can walk or cycle.

Again tack that on you are looking 400 sharing and 810 on your own.
    But we have now including rent, heat, electric, entertainment and weekly travel.

With sharing you will have 870 or just over 200 per week for other things.
    On your own you are looking 400 will be less that 100 per week for other things.
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have be relying on public transport don't drive. But least I have idea of cost of moving/living and what type of salary I need when looking at jobs in Belfast.

Many thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 salochna

Hello I am looking for advice on where is the best place to move with a young family from co.Meath in Ireland we are planning to move up for a job in the city and are not sure on the most suitable areas for a family. I will be working part time so I would like to be somewhere with shops and where I can meet other young mother's.

We would ideally be looking to move up within the next month so much advice needed please.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 azaliarazor

salochna wrote: »
    Hello I am looking for advice on where is the best place to move with a young family from co.Meath in Ireland we are planning to move up for a job in the city and are not sure on the most suitable areas for a family. I will be working part time so I would like to be somewhere with shops and where I can meet other young mother's.

We would ideally be looking to move up within the next month so much advice needed please.

We live up off Ormeau Road before Forestside shopping center. We are surrounded by families with kids. Several nice pubs for nights out and college kids are miles down the road.
    Small shops and cafes are within walking distance. A park is within a 5 minute walk or so. Nice area to live. We might be moving for work in a few months but would not be because of location here.

Worst part in Belfast for us, Oil tank. Never again. Look around and you can find a place with gas. We are in a house, but there is a nice apartment complex near the Parador too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Hi guys,
    I was offered a job in Belfast city center and I'm thinking about taking it. The salary is quite low (need the experience!) So id ideally like to be able to walk/cycle...would that be possible from areas like the ormeau road? (The ormeau road was recommended to me and I have a few places checked out online that seem perfect for me). Also, would walking home be ok at around 6/7?

I've seen a few places advertised at around £250/300 which I should be able to manage. Would going somewhere closer to Queens get me somewhere cheaper?

I was thinking about giving myself Six months to see how i get on. Is registering for a social security number a must?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I was offered a job in Belfast city center and I'm thinking about taking it. The salary is quite low (need the experience!) So id ideally like to be able to walk/cycle...would that be possible from areas like the ormeau road? (The ormeau road was recommended to me and I have a few places checked out online that seem perfect for me). Also, would walking home be ok at around 6/7?

I've seen a few places advertised at around £250/300 which I should be able to manage. Would going somewhere closer to Queens get me somewhere cheaper?

I was thinking about giving myself Six months to see how i get on. Is registering for a social security number a must?

Hi. Congrats on the job offer! Belfast is a great city - lots to see and do, plenty of nightlife, a good buzz about the place. I'm sure you'll be very happy tthere!

Ormeau road is a popular spot and most of it is a comfortable walk from the city centre (the upper ormeau would be a bit of a stretch though). It's generally quite a mixed and middle-class area so should be safe enough walking home at night (although there's also a regular bus service for cold or rainy evenings). I would think it's a good area to choose. That or stranmillis would probably suit you well. University area can be a bit mad with lots of students causing some rowdy nights, but there are nice parts too. Also consider the Lisburn road and malone areas - close to town, safe, a good buzz about them. Basically I'd recommend sticking to the south of the city. Heading out west, east or north can be more difficult to negotiate unless you know Belfast, as you're more likely to run into the Catholic/Protestant issues and could end up living somewhere that isn't the safest if you're from the South.

Belfast rents are generally very reasonable too, certainly compared to Dublin/cork/Galway etc.

Also you'll need a national insurance number in order to work

Hi. Congrats on the job offer! Belfast is a great city - lots to see and do, plenty of nightlife, a good buzz about the place. I'm sure you'll be very happy tthere!

Ormeau road is a popular spot and most of it is a comfortable walk from the city centre (the upper ormeau would be a bit of a stretch though). It's generally quite a mixed and middle-class area so should be safe enough walking home at night (although there's also a regular bus service for cold or rainy evenings). I would think it's a good area to choose. That or stranmillis would probably suit you well. University area can be a bit mad with lots of students causing some rowdy nights, but there are nice parts too. Also consider the Lisburn road and malone areas - close to town, safe, a good buzz about them. Basically I'd recommend sticking to the south of the city. Heading out west, east or north can be more difficult to negotiate unless you know Belfast, as you're more likely to run into the Catholic/Protestant issues and could end up living somewhere that isn't the safest if you're from the South.

Belfast rents are generally very reasonable too, certainly compared to Dublin/cork/Galway etc.
    Also you'll need a national insurance number in order to work

Ah thanks! I've an interview arranged to get a NI number next week now. I wish I had done it sooner...it took me a while to get through to an office.

I'll definitely stick to south Belfast so! I'll give all those places a look. I've arranged for a few viewings and will try get some more. Its so much cheaper than Dublin (thats actually one of the reasons I don't mind the low salary!)...most places are at least half the price of where I now.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I presume I'm going to have to open a new bank account ? (I'd probably get ripped off on banking charges getting paid into a BOI/AIB account?)

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Ah thanks! I've an interview arranged to get a NI number next week now. I wish I had done it sooner...it took me a while to get through to an office.

I'll definitely stick to south Belfast so! I'll give all those places a look. I've arranged for a few viewings and will try get some more. Its so much cheaper than Dublin (thats actually one of the reasons I don't mind the low salary!)...most places are at least half the price of where I now.

This may seem like a stupid question, but I presume I'm going to have to open a new bank account ? (I'd probably get ripped off on banking charges getting paid into a BOI/AIB account?)

Yeah you'll need a bank account for sterling. Also useful for proof of addressfor various things you'll likely be setting up. Fortunately in the north most banks don't charge account maintenance fees. I'm with ulsterbank because they let me transfer money from my southern account to northern account and vice versa without transaction charges, whereas if I was transferring to an account with another bank then I'd be charged.

Yeah you'll need a bank account for sterling. Also useful for proof of addressfor various things you'll likely be setting up. Fortunately in the north most banks don't charge account maintenance fees. I'm with ulsterbank because they let me transfer money from my southern account to northern account and vice versa without transaction charges, whereas if I was transferring to an account with another bank then I'd be charged.

thanks so much! I'll definitely look into setting up an account with Ulster Bank :)

Also if you're not already with 3 network for your phone, it may be worth considering it. They don't charge roaming charges so long as you're on the island of Ireland. So can use Internet for free and call/text southern numbers at your usual rate. It'll cost to call Northern numbers though, just as it would if you were ringing a Northern number from Dublin.

ALSO ALSO ALSO - something I discovered - if you change the 028 at the beginning of a Northern landline number to 048, when ringing from the south, it will be charged as a local number just like if you were calling a landline in Dublin. So for example if you were phoning a Belfast number from the south, dial 04890 123456, rather than dialling 0044 2890 123456 (if you dial the latter, you pay international phone rates). Worth informing friends or family about so that they can call you on a landline for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Also if you're not already with 3 network for your phone, it may be worth considering it. They don't charge roaming charges so long as you're on the island of Ireland. So can use Internet for free and call/text southern numbers at your usual rate. It'll cost to call Northern numbers though, just as it would if you were ringing a Northern number from Dublin.

Better still, Vodafone have a bolt-on for NI customers (must have an address in NI) called NI Caller - for £5/month it extends your full plan to cover all of Ireland - no charges to call/text Irish numbers, no roaming costs and no data roaming costs. Your full data allowance applies across the whole island.

Ask about it in Vodafone shop as half of the UK based call handlers on their phone lines don't know it even exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Holy sh*t I've been here 8 years and never knew this! It's a pity Ulster Bank are a ****e bank that are being allowed to die by RBS. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after that kerfuffle a few years back with accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Another wee tip!
    Revolut are offering free online UK bank accounts , dead handy for swapping between Euro and Sterling and not getting ripped off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Monzfrey

Hi all!

My girlfriend and I are currently in the process of relocating to Belfast. We both fancied a change from Galway and Belfast seems an affordable city. Just now we have the problem of finding suitable accommodation! After some fairly exasperating house sharing experiences we're hoping to avoid that and find a decent 1 or 2-bedroom apartment or house.

Last week we had a few viewings and ended up in places we really shouldn't have gone to (one agent reduced our conversation to a whisper once he found out we lived in the south!) so I figured it might be better to ask beforehand. We're considering houses around the following areas - would they be dodgy enough or safe?

Henderson Avenue (off Old Cavehill Road near the Antrim Road)
    Cranbrook Court
    Windsor Avenue (I'm guessing there's a reason why there are so many available houses here..)
    Annadale Flats
    Hillfoot Street / Strandtown
    Dungloe Crescent

Some of those are a bit far out but we might just have to accept getting a bus every day (or buying bikes).

We haven't jobs sorted yet but my girlfriend has some trials this week. Hopefully we can get something sorted by next week. So if anyone has any feedback about those places we'd appreciate it a lot!

Henderson avenue is a bit of a funny one because it's this one loyalist street amidst a huge sea of catholic areas. I'm not sure what sort of a place it would be like to live in as a result. The entire Antrim Road all the way up to glengormley is nationalist though so may be a bit safer looking around there? (Although parts of it can be a bit rough and ready, e.g. The new lodge, cliftonville road, newington).

Although if I was new to Belfast, I'd be aiming to live south of the city centre - Lisburn road, malone, some parts of the ormeau... so much more life, lots of bars and restaurants and lovely parks, none of that sectarian tension. The place to be!

I don't really know the other places you mentioned. My granny lived round the corner from Annandale flats. They are a bit rough themselves but close to some good spots. I'm not sure about the politics of them though... if they're loyalist then I'd steer clear.

As a general guide, the vast majority of the east of the city is unionist (with the exception of short strand), the majority of the west is nationalist (with the exception of the shankill road area), the north is half and half but generally very working class and has some troubled interface areas (so be a bit careful here... generally the upper parts of the Antrim Road, and the cavehill areas are the best bet), and most of the south of the city is more middle class and more mixed, so less political tension.

Tough to navigate unless you know the city, I know.

Henderson avenue is a bit of a funny one because it's this one loyalist street amidst a huge sea of catholic areas. I'm not sure what sort of a place it would be like to live in as a result. The entire Antrim Road all the way up to glengormley is nationalist though so may be a bit safer looking around there? (Although parts of it can be a bit rough and ready, e.g. The new lodge, cliftonville road, newington).

Although if I was new to Belfast, I'd be aiming to live south of the city centre - Lisburn road, malone, some parts of the ormeau... so much more life, lots of bars and restaurants and lovely parks, none of that sectarian tension. The place to be!

I don't really know the other places you mentioned. My granny lived round the corner from Annandale flats. They are a bit rough themselves but close to some good spots. I'm not sure about the politics of them though... if they're loyalist then I'd steer clear.

As a general guide, the vast majority of the east of the city is unionist (with the exception of short strand), the majority of the west is nationalist (with the exception of the shankill road area), the north is half and half but generally very working class and has some troubled interface areas (so be a bit careful here... generally the upper parts of the Antrim Road, and the cavehill areas are the best bet), and most of the south of the city is more middle class and more mixed, so less political tension.

Tough to navigate unless you know the city, I know.

Thank you a lot for that detailed report! It has been a minefield so far trying to figure it out so we appreciate that.

Would you know anything about Ravenscroft Avenue? Off the Upper Newtonards road? There is a flat there that's available in a few weeks that is absolutely amazing. There are a few flags outside but it does seem calmer than some other areas. We might go for it if we can't find anything else.

As for the south / city centre we'd absolutely love to find something but so far it's been impossible. Either it's all house shares with students or the rent is a bit out of our range (£550 or £600 at a push) or apparently noisy areas. It's been really infuriating being honest! We might actually go a little more direct and approach a property agent and explain our situation. We're a bit reticent because neither of us have jobs at the minute (though my gf has two trials upcoming) or NI security number so I imagine that's off-putting to potential landlords. We do have proof of funds and I guess I could get a parent to be my guarantor (which seems a requirement for every agency).

I'm told Northern Property has most of the Catholic area properties so I might go into their office and see if they can be any help.

Also, a couple of people have suggested looking into commuting from somewhere like Lisburn. Would you consider that a nice / safe spot to live? 15 minute train ride and £86 monthly ticket - no idea if that's good value or not. I do see there's a beer festival there very soon... :)

Can I just second this advice? The Lisburn Road is a great place to live. I would avoid the Holylands area (around the University) as it's just full of crap houses split into student apts. Also Windsor Ave isn't the greatest place to live.

Finaghy/Dunmurry is a bit further out but is on the train line so is a good option. Lisburn would also be fine. It's just a bit far out if you're looking for a night out in Belfast.

The Upper Newtownards Road isn't a bad spot, however it is an overwhelmingly unionist area and I don't think I'd recommend it to you as southerners who are new to the political landscape here. I used to work close to the apartment you're referencing (I found it on propertypal and I'm assuming we are talking about the same one anyway!). I'm a catholic from the north of the city, and was always very careful to keep my background quiet. I have an Irish surname so I didn't use it when I could get away with it, and I would never be specific with customers about where I came from. With Galway accents, I just don't think it's the best part of the city for you to start up in.

I've had a look on propertypal and there seems to be quite a lot of choice for your budget of a max £600? I just scoured through the first three pages, but the following areas should be grand. They are also nice and central so your commute would be a doddle, and you could enjoy all the attractions of the city centre on the weekends.
    https://www.propertypal.com/apt-5-17-eglantine-avenue-belfast/467371/photo-5
    https://www.propertypal.com/apt-1-62-malone-road-belfast/225709/photo-2
    https://www.propertypal.com/160-dunluce-avenue-lisburn-road-belfast/467395/photo-5
    https://www.propertypal.com/great-two-bedroom-apartment-1c-magdala-street-botanic-queens-quartbelfast/429732/photo-4
    https://www.propertypal.com/21-harleston-street-belfast/467404/photo-3
    https://www.propertypal.com/36-dunvegan-street-off-ravenhill-road-belfast/467443/map
    https://www.propertypal.com/8a-library-square-13-kent-street-belfast/467436
    https://www.propertypal.com/unit-1-51-magdala-street-botanic-belfast/367816
    Many of those are two beds, so you might also have the option to sublet a bedroom.

Honestly, given your budget and what I've seen from a quick scour online, I really don't think you need to be treading the sectarian battle lines of the city. So many parts of Belfast are really great places to live, without any of that sort of nonsense, and you shouldn't need to be moving out to the likes of Lisburn for your budget. If in doubt, just explain your situation to an estate agent and I'm sure they will guide you towards properties in a safe area. Or else you could consider taking a short-term let, maybe a month or two in an air b&b, until you have your jobs sorted and have more of an idea of what areas you like the look of. It would be much less stressful than trying to navigate everything from Galway, and coming up to a schedule of viewings in areas that end up being inappropriate. Otherwise you may be stuck in a 12-month lease in somewhere you are uncomfortable or you can't get a decent work-life balance in.

Come up and enjoy the city for a month or two first, before you decide where to settle.

Up around Ravenhill Ave/Cregagh road is mostly fine - a bit fleggy in the summer but you'll not have any bother (nor would a southern reg car). Otherwise it's generally a decent area with plenty of shops/cafes/parks etc nearby. Nearest pubs worth drinking in would be on the Ormeau Rd though.

The streets you probably don't want to live on would be more on the Woodstock Road side of Ravenhill Ave.

Can get a 2 or even 3 bed terrace for £500-600.

Myself and my bf got a fantastic 2 bed apt on Derryvolgie Ave for £600 a month. That was about 9 years ago now but it was freakin awesome and such a great street. Right across from the Tesco, 40 minute walk into town, good bus services. It was perfect. So I do think a £600pm budget is VERY doable for the Lisburn Road as catriona says.

The Upper Newtownards Road isn't a bad spot, however it is an overwhelmingly unionist area and I don't think I'd recommend it to you as southerners who are new to the political landscape here. I used to work close to the apartment you're referencing (I found it on propertypal and I'm assuming we are talking about the same one anyway!). I'm a catholic from the north of the city, and was always very careful to keep my background quiet. I have an Irish surname so I didn't use it when I could get away with it, and I would never be specific with customers about where I came from. With Galway accents, I just don't think it's the best part of the city for you to start up in.

I've had a look on propertypal and there seems to be quite a lot of choice for your budget of a max £600? I just scoured through the first three pages, but the following areas should be grand. They are also nice and central so your commute would be a doddle, and you could enjoy all the attractions of the city centre on the weekends.
    https://www.propertypal.com/apt-5-17-eglantine-avenue-belfast/467371/photo-5
    https://www.propertypal.com/apt-1-62-malone-road-belfast/225709/photo-2
    https://www.propertypal.com/160-dunluce-avenue-lisburn-road-belfast/467395/photo-5
    https://www.propertypal.com/great-two-bedroom-apartment-1c-magdala-street-botanic-queens-quartbelfast/429732/photo-4
    https://www.propertypal.com/21-harleston-street-belfast/467404/photo-3
    https://www.propertypal.com/36-dunvegan-street-off-ravenhill-road-belfast/467443/map
    https://www.propertypal.com/8a-library-square-13-kent-street-belfast/467436
    https://www.propertypal.com/unit-1-51-magdala-street-botanic-belfast/367816
    Many of those are two beds, so you might also have the option to sublet a bedroom.

Honestly, given your budget and what I've seen from a quick scour online, I really don't think you need to be treading the sectarian battle lines of the city. So many parts of Belfast are really great places to live, without any of that sort of nonsense, and you shouldn't need to be moving out to the likes of Lisburn for your budget. If in doubt, just explain your situation to an estate agent and I'm sure they will guide you towards properties in a safe area. Or else you could consider taking a short-term let, maybe a month or two in an air b&b, until you have your jobs sorted and have more of an idea of what areas you like the look of. It would be much less stressful than trying to navigate everything from Galway, and coming up to a schedule of viewings in areas that end up being inappropriate. Otherwise you may be stuck in a 12-month lease in somewhere you are uncomfortable or you can't get a decent work-life balance in.

Come up and enjoy the city for a month or two first, before you decide where to settle.

Thanks for the great post and going to the effort of looking at the different properties online! Should have stated I'm not actually from Galway but rather Donegal. Wouldn't have the biggest accent, pretty neutral, not sure if that's good or bad. Gone off the Newtonards one (not sure if it was the same one you saw - he hadn't advertised it at this point) as it's too long to wait and like you say, probably just a little too far out. We're just eager to get our own place as soon as possible as we've been travelling for the past few months and then spending time in both our respective parents' homes so it will good to get our own space again.

Anyway, a wee update - we're looking at a place quire near the Ormeau Rd - Sunnyside Drive. Still on the east and one or two Union Jacks but Ormeau Road seems to get lots of positive feedback, plus we're not too far from the university area / city centre. Have asked elsewhere about this particular street and it seems safe enough. Anyone else lived there or nearby? Nearest mural is one of pizza chefs, not too bad! Not sure if I can ask about the letting agents? They (or she) seem very honest and thorough so far anyway. They do charge a "holding fee" of a £100 but that eventually goes through to the deposit. We've to collect some documents first anyway. Tracking down my rather sketchy landlord from last year to get a reference might prove difficult though... may well scupper our chances as she requires a landlord reference from the last 24 months and he's the only one I had.

We've no cars btw, so no danger of the southern reg being a problem. Might be whenever my dad comes over, but maybe we'll try to park in the centre or something...

Thanks for all the replies so far, I appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Monzfrey wrote: »
    Thanks for the great post and going to the effort of looking at the different properties online! Should have stated I'm not actually from Galway but rather Donegal. Wouldn't have the biggest accent, pretty neutral, not sure if that's good or bad. Gone off the Newtonards one (not sure if it was the same one you saw - he hadn't advertised it at this point) as it's too long to wait and like you say, probably just a little too far out. We're just eager to get our own place as soon as possible as we've been travelling for the past few months and then spending time in both our respective parents' homes so it will good to get our own space again.

Anyway, a wee update - we're looking at a place quire near the Ormeau Rd - Sunnyside Drive. Still on the east and one or two Union Jacks but Ormeau Road seems to get lots of positive feedback, plus we're not too far from the university area / city centre. Have asked elsewhere about this particular street and it seems safe enough. Anyone else lived there or nearby? Nearest mural is one of pizza chefs, not too bad! Not sure if I can ask about the letting agents? They (or she) seem very honest and thorough so far anyway. They do charge a "holding fee" of a £100 but that eventually goes through to the deposit. We've to collect some documents first anyway. Tracking down my rather sketchy landlord from last year to get a reference might prove difficult though... may well scupper our chances as she requires a landlord reference from the last 24 months and he's the only one I had.

We've no cars btw, so no danger of the southern reg being a problem. Might be whenever my dad comes over, but maybe we'll try to park in the centre or something...

Thanks for all the replies so far, I appreciate the help.

For the record the Ormeau Rd is most definitely South Belfast! ;) You're not in the east until you go the other side of the Cregagh Rd!

Sunnyside is nice enough, a little bit rough around the flats, but not bad at all. Worth noting there's a small bonfire on the green by King's bridge on the 11th night.

Cars should be grand, it's a generally mixed area and popular with blowins!

Letting agents are all as bad as each other anyway - hate dealing with them! ;)

Advertisement