Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane noise in Portmarnock?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Fingal Coco just published a noise map on their Facebook page which should help the OP.

Unfortunately that noise map will be redundant shortly when the new runway is operational.

The DAA published this one which includes the flight paths and also noise map including estimated decibels. They also compare now and with the new runway.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/north-runway-downloads/consultation-on-flight-paths-and-change-to-permitted-operations.pdf?sfvrsn=63261c6e_2

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

wow, these noise maps are amazing! thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

What's the verdict on the impact of the 2nd runway on Skylark development?

House Hunt wrote: »
    What's the verdict on the impact of the 2nd runway on Skylark development?

Honestly, if you grew up in parts of Swords or Portmarnock where you can hear planes it would have little impac. However, if you have never lived near an airport it could irritate you but I'm guessing you would get used to it.

Here is a pretty cool photo of Dublin and you can clearly see the new runway and its path.

it.https://twitter.com/astro_soichi/status/1379448614477520897?s=21

Handy tool released by Dublin Airport, you can monitor the Db level at the listening points. I had a look at Oscar Papa on the Portmarnock coast road while a Airbus A21n twin engine came in. The Db level went from about 45-60 Db to 70Db for a second or two and then mid 60 for a few more seconds until it settled back down to ambient noise levels.

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/corporate-social-responsibility/noise/webtrak-flight-monitoring-system

• Advertisement

That's a very useful tool indeed.

Are they standalone monitors just placed in those areas I wonder? Also I wonder do the monitors mimic the settings of a house with doors and windows closed?

Edit - 777 came in and it went to 75Db on the coast road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

brio09 wrote: »
    thanks for sharing your experience!

I lived inna double glazed well built appartment with the train tracks running the other side of the large carpark, high wall, road and shrubbery . It absolutely melted my head - particularly at night. In the end I had to move. Thou I’d specifically asked the estate agent the freight trains ran throughout the night ( he lied) and often would also beep at the double crossing - and I mean OFTEN each night. It totally melted my head.

Some places in P. are MUCH worse than others - even the ‘new’ houses that you’d expect better from and that cost close to a million. Drimnuigh Woods being a personal particular horror story for that reason. AND you also have the ding-dong noise from the dart platform echoing across your home and the platfrom announcements - you couldn’t make it up.

I’d be extremely wary of train and plane noise - particularly in Portmarnock. It’s a hidden curse - and with the new runway hosting planes so large they’ve NO past incidation of noise impact as they couldn’t land on the old
    runway AND the lockdown you have no way of experiencing how noisy it is going to get.

Houses and whole communities in St Margarets are being deemed unfit for human habitation because of the projected new noise - and many of them alteady have double and triple glazing. Of course you can’t insulate a garden, or live without ever opening a window or wanting to sit in your garden or triple glaze cavity brick walls etc. Yhe teaidents there have been complaining and protesting for decades as the plane capacity and sizes got greater and the noise got worse and worse. The whole area was ‘recently’ quietly designated a strategic infrastructure zone so normal planning permission dosn’t apply - and whole streets and businesses are being CPO’d or planned to be abandoned by their owners - after generations living there. Its a national scandal what os going on to the community there and of course RTe will never run an anti- government story in it or feature the real scandal and absolute heartbreak and misery those people face. Anyway - thats not Portmarnock but close enough as the crow flies. Portmarnock residents have been battling against it for decades.

I’d be extremely wary. And you can’t check now - its a sellers delight - the noise levels bear no resemblence to pre lockdown levels and the new runway hsn’t started its capacity yet.

Isn’t the airport working at minus 90% capacity and planes flying next to empty in?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

There's a world of difference between Portmarnock and St. Margaret's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive lived on busy roads, right on top of train tracks and near an airport.
    In every case Ive noticed the noise for a week and then never noticed it ever again.
    The human brain filters out repeating noises.
    People just dont hear them anymore.

PCros wrote: »
    That's a very useful tool indeed.

Are they standalone monitors just placed in those areas I wonder? Also I wonder do the monitors mimic the settings of a house with doors and windows closed?

Edit - 777 came in and it went to 75Db on the coast road.

No, they are just the sound outside, like if you were standing in a field.

• Advertisement

There's a world of difference between Portmarnock and St. Margaret's.

I’m WELL aware of that. The horrifying noise issues for the 2nd runway that the homeowners in St M’s are facing was the point - for decades with old runway parts of Portmarnock already has a bad flight noise problem. If houses and businesses and farms are being forcibly CPO’d by the government and houses being condemned as unfit for habitation due to PROJECTED new noise pollution how badly will this affect the already semi visible and shrugged off areas in Portmarnock that are already suffering badly.

And thats before the new extension on the old 11pm noise ban kicks in. After the covid reatrictions lift. Things are going to be more noisy and more messy in unimaginable ways. And thats before Dublin becomes the new overnight flight hub to avoid post Britexit customs landing issues. Even more mess and even more noise. And far bigger planes with a new route & runway to worry about. Personally, I’m worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I’m WELL aware of that. The horrifying noise issues for the 2nd runway that the homeowners in St M’s are facing was the point - for decades with old runway parts of Portmarnock already has a bad flight noise problem. If houses and businesses and farms are being forcibly CPO’d by the government and houses being condemned as unfit for habitation due to PROJECTED new noise pollution how badly will this affect the already semi visible and shrugged off areas in Portmarnock that are already suffering badly.

And thats before the new extension on the old 11pm noise ban kicks in. After the covid reatrictions lift. Things are going to be more noisy and more messy in unimaginable ways. And thats before Dublin becomes the new overnight flight hub to avoid post Britexit customs landing issues. Even more mess and even more noise. And far bigger planes with a new route & runway to worry about. Personally, I’m worried.
    What houses and businesses and farms are being forcibly CPO'd? And what houses are being condemned as unfit for habitation, and by whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

lived under RWY 34 approach, and under the standard arrival route for 28 and departure for 10....

I love aviation, so was great for me. Moved to the UK to the middle of nowhere, couldn't put my finger on it for months why I felt unsettled in possibly one of the most chill places I've ever lived..

It was the lack of background noise... living in Dublin near busy roads and under flight paths...

You get used to it.... or in my case, I subconsciously missed it

blue note wrote: »
    Whenever they build a second runway though the noise could get bad. And it's badly needed, so they will build it at some stage.

You mean the second (third actually) that’s been under construction for the past two years or so? :pac:

arccosh wrote: »
    lived under RWY 34 approach, and under the standard arrival route for 28 and departure for 10....

I love aviation, so was great for me. Moved to the UK to the middle of nowhere, couldn't put my finger on it for months why I felt unsettled in possibly one of the most chill places I've ever lived..

It was the lack of background noise... living in Dublin near busy roads and under flight paths...

You get used to it.... or in my case, I subconsciously missed it

In your case you were going from backround noise to no noise.
    The brain has to process that in the exact same as going somewhere with a different noise than what you are used to.
    You needed time to get used to it, but you got used to it.
    What most people dont realize is that any noise you hear that is new to you will just fade away so you dont notice it at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

You mean the second (third actually) that’s been under construction for the past two years or so? :pac:

Ah, not really. The two at the moment are really just one. You only ever have one in use, the second is just for when the wind is in an unusual direction.

The new runway being built will actually be a second runway.

blue note wrote: »
    Ah, not really. The two at the moment are really just one. You only ever have one in use, the second is just for when the wind is in an unusual direction.

The new runway being built will actually be a second runway.

That short north/south runway hardly ever has landings or takeoffs.
    I think the wind has to be very strong and directly from the south for it to be used. And then as soon as the wind changes its back to the other runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think the wind has to be very strong and directly from the south for it to be used. And then as soon as the wind changes its back to the other runway.
    I live under that one (16 arriving from north direction). It's used a fair bit, as strong southerly winds are not that unusual and the main runway(s) are quite significantly offset from the prevailing wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

brio09 wrote: »
    hi! my wife and I started seeing houses in portmarnock (and other areas) recently, but we are still kinda new to Ireland and with covid, we haven't explored most neighborhoods and have been to portmarnock only once.
    We got to know about skylark phase 4 coming up for sale in the coming week and were wondering if folks have advice on plane noise in portmarnock?
    i am concerned about it because noise pollution like living next to rail tracks etc. has been shown to reduce quality of life even including education scores. i'd like to live in a house where i am not concerned about plane noises every few mins/hrs if i open the windows.
    It seems planes fly right overhead portmarnock?
    how often do they fly?
    I'm guessing every house would feel the noise from every plane if you keep a window open?

Modern houses - you'll never hear them

lawred2 wrote: »
    Modern houses - you'll never hear them

Absolutely not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely not true.

That's my experience. I'm under the flight path in Portmarnock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭appledrop

I live in Swords all my life and I don't notice any noise and I'm closer to the airport. You just get used to it, like living close to a busy road I expect.

While Swords is nearer airport actually less noise and traffic than Portmanock due to way the planes take off/land.

Anyone who is on Portmanock beach regularly in summer months(in normal times) knows that planes are non stop every few minutes, very loud and low down. The flight path goes directly over all those new houses near train station.

Further up nearer Makahide not half as bad. Second runway will make it even worse when it opens.

I wouldn't be buying if you don't know area and what it's actually like in normal times.

Now some people used to it and won't bother them but others it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

if this is something you think is a red flag i'd avoid purchasing anywhere near a flight path, we were in a brand new development in west dublin and the noise of the planes was crazy (out towards Ongar) despite the quality of the build we were always awoken by the take off of the first planes heading to the USA I believe, some flights we took on a clear day we could see our back yard. With the 2nd runway and the fact they are looking to fly earlier and later I can only imagine places like Portmarnock will see huge increase in noise. If you think its something you can get used to then don't let it hold you back.

In my scenario the planes where down the list of reasons we ended up moving out but I do recall the noise being waay louder than expected even when compared to the train line which was right beside the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

Thanks again for all the inputs and for sharing your experiences!
    I wanted to share a quick update - thanks to hearing from folks here and my own research, I decided to not buy in portmarnock or lower part of swords - since large planes fly really low there.
    I've bought a house in south dublin and am looking forward to moving in a few weeks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

You adjust in these areas. It takes time. Growing up the noises around me have led me to just not really noticing it in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

JimmyVik wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I read in a DAA submission that the planes come in over Portmarnock 70% of the time and 30% of the time from the other direction

I'm pretty sure I read in a DAA submission that the planes come in over Portmarnock 70% of the time and 30% of the time from the other direction

I live right under the flight path only a few km North or the airport and they hardly ever come in unless the wind is blowing directly from the south. Id say 1 day a month for a few hours at most.
    Its rare enough that they land this way, but I think I could count on one hand the amount of time planes have taken off this way in the last 5 years.

I think their submission is to make out that the other runway is not used as much as it is, to make the residents of Portmarnock not feel they are being overflown as often as they are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Could well be that! I've been monitoring Flightradar for the last few weeks and I did see it happening on one occasion alright.

I was in the estate yesterday and a couple of Ryanair planes passed over. I didn't think it was that bad to be honest. A passing train or a busy road is definitely worse and a plane is a nicer sound I think (I'm weird I know)

Advertisement