Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plane noise in Portmarnock?

• 26-03-2021 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

hi! my wife and I started seeing houses in portmarnock (and other areas) recently, but we are still kinda new to Ireland and with covid, we haven't explored most neighborhoods and have been to portmarnock only once.
    We got to know about skylark phase 4 coming up for sale in the coming week and were wondering if folks have advice on plane noise in portmarnock?
    i am concerned about it because noise pollution like living next to rail tracks etc. has been shown to reduce quality of life even including education scores. i'd like to live in a house where i am not concerned about plane noises every few mins/hrs if i open the windows.
    It seems planes fly right overhead portmarnock?
    how often do they fly?
    I'm guessing every house would feel the noise from every plane if you keep a window open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

brio09 wrote: »
    hi! my wife and I started seeing houses in portmarnock (and other areas) recently, but we are still kinda new to Ireland and with covid, we haven't explored most neighborhoods and have been to portmarnock only once.
    We got to know about skylark phase 4 coming up for sale in the coming week and were wondering if folks have advice on plane noise in portmarnock?
    i am concerned about it because noise pollution like living next to rail tracks etc. has been shown to reduce quality of life even including education scores. i'd like to live in a house where i am not concerned about plane noises every few mins/hrs if i open the windows.
    It seems planes fly right overhead portmarnock?
    how often do they fly?
    I'm guessing every house would feel the noise from every plane if you keep a window open?

My in-laws live in Portmarnock, and my wife used to live there, she says the planes never bothered her and tbh I rarely, if ever, notice them when visiting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm up by the dunnes and the noise is very faint from the planes. When I used to commute the noise at the train station was a lot louder.

Whenever they build a second runway though the noise could get bad. And it's badly needed, so they will build it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I live in Malahide and we looked at houses in Portmarnock. The plane noise is pretty bad in many parts, especially around the train station where many of the new houses are being built. At the minute the flight volume is way down due to covid, but in normal times there'd be a flight every two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

blue note wrote: »
    I'm up by the dunnes and the noise is very faint from the planes. When I used to commute the noise at the train station was a lot louder.

Whenever they build a second runway though the noise could get bad. And it's badly needed, so they will build it at some stage.

when you say Dunnes, do you mean this one?
    > Dunnes Stores Shopping Centre, Wendell Ave, Carrickhill, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin
    it is almost malahide area, so trying to confirm my understanding of plane path.

when you say Dunnes, do you mean this one?
    > Dunnes Stores Shopping Centre, Wendell Ave, Carrickhill, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin
    it is almost malahide area, so trying to confirm my understanding of plane path.

Yes. It's very much portmarnock but on the malahide side of it. I think a few houses and the golf club are technically malahide, but in reality they're Portmarnock too.

• Advertisement

It's quieter as you enter Portmanock from Malahide and louder as you get down towards the station end. My inlaws live in the former location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

blue note wrote: »
    Yes. It's very much portmarnock but on the malahide side of it. I think a few houses and the golf club are technically malahide, but in reality they're Portmarnock too.

This is where the new northern runway's approach path will fly over. However the northern runway will faciltate more departing traffic as opposed to approaching traffic.

It will be finished this summer and operational next year.

PCros wrote: »
    This is where the new northern runway's approach path will fly over. However the northern runway will faciltate more departing traffic as opposed to approaching traffic.

It will be finished this summer and operational next year.

Exactly. Do don't buy there and then give out when the planes start flying overhead and you can hear them.

It's the planes taking off that are much louder though. Those engines are roaring. The ones coming in are much quieter. Also, there's lots of research being done now to make planes quieter. Hopefully we'll benefit from it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I live in Swords all my life and I don't notice any noise and I'm closer to the airport. You just get used to it, like living close to a busy road I expect.

I live in Swords all my life and I don't notice any noise and I'm closer to the airport. You just get used to it, like living close to a busy road I expect.

thank you for the perspective. the way i was thinking is when buying a forever home, i would like to be able to able to stay away from road noise, so from what you say, it makes me think i should also apply a similar approach to plane noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too. When they used to service the planes at the airport we'd hear them testing the engines a lot but it never bothered us or anyone I know who lived here.

Even now when it's very windy and they use the north/south runway the noise doesn't bother us.

Even now when it's very windy and they use the north/south runway the noise doesn't bother us.
    interesting - what is the connection of being windy? I'm guessing when it is more windy, that increases the ambient noise which makes it less likely to hear the runway / plane noises?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Crosswinds at the airport. If they're very strong from the wrong direction they use the old runway rather than the east/west one.

Otherwise we never hear plane noise. We do have the R116 rescue helicopter going over us a few times a day but it's never been a problem, in fact the grandkids run outside to see it when they're here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I live besides the dart station in Portmarnock and on the flight path and have done in pre Covid times too. After a couple of weeks, you get used to the planes over head and you carry all normal. If you're sitting ourside in mid chat, you stop talking as the plane goes overhead and then carry on when they're gone.

I know some people go mad over the noise and wouldn't buy in the area but I never got that idea. If it suits you to buy in Skylark, don't be put off by the planes. Most new houses round here have triple glazed windows so you never hear them indoors. Ditto to the trains.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I live besides the dart station in Portmarnock and on the flight path and have done in pre Covid times too. After a couple of weeks, you get used to the planes over head and you carry all normal. If you're sitting ourside in mid chat, you stop talking as the plane goes overhead and then carry on when they're gone.

I know some people go mad over the noise and wouldn't buy in the area but I never got that idea. If it suits you to buy in Skylark, don't be put off by the planes. Most new houses round here have triple glazed windows so you never hear them indoors. Ditto to the trains.
    thanks for sharing your experience!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember playing a rugby match out near the airport, years ago, with college. Scored a cracker of a try, but was disallowed as the ref had blown for a foul. Everyone had stopped, but myself. Never dawned on me why I wasn't tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

Dun Sí houses were built with triple glazed windows, Skylark is double glazed and the provider was changed to Munster Joinery. There is a thread on them in the Cork City forum at the moment with very poor reviews and elsewhere on trustpilot etc. There were issues with the windows cracking in Dun Sí so a change of provider wasn’t surprising but the change to double glazed feels like a cost saving exercise more than anything, hopefully they are sufficiently sound proof with the flight path in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive a cousin who rents in Portmarnock with his partner. Hes said you get used to the noise but theyve knocked Portmarnock off their list of places to buy because of concerns about air quality. His partner has asthma and they think its not such a great idea to live the next several decades of their lives under a flight path with planes every 3 minutes at peak times. Theyve the same concerns if they have kids and they too have asthma. Theyre a bit despondent about it because other than that they love living in Portmarnock.

I can’t find the diagram now but approx 70% of take offs are done westwards over the lesser populated north west Dublin due to the prominence of southwesterly winds. Planes both take off and land into the wind. So while portmarnock is on the flight path is is primarily when they are coming in to land so not as loud but noticeable all the same.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/airport-noise/contour-map.pdf?sfvrsn=922e304d_2

Plane engines are getting quieter as new generations are made too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

See attached for prevailing wind approach for most planes into DUB ( there is a nav aid at Maynetown ).
    Its the takeoffs and not the landings that make the noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

thank you for the perspective. the way i was thinking is when buying a forever home, i would like to be able to able to stay away from road noise, so from what you say, it makes me think i should also apply a similar approach to plane noise.

I lived for 4 years right across the road from a fire station . The bell would go off , doors slam open and then shouting and roaring and engines revving
    After a few months we got used to it and hardly heard it .. Visitors would be astonished we weren’t bothered !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've lived all my life in santry/finglas and worked both in and beside the airport a lot of my adult life. Certainly used to it at this point, never exactly loud but can hear from inside the house. About as annoying as hearing a car or bus drive up the road.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I've lived all my life in santry/finglas and worked both in and beside the airport a lot of my adult life. Certainly used to it at this point, never exactly loud but can hear from inside the house. About as annoying as hearing a car or bus drive up the road.
    ah thats a very valuable comparison - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

Wanted to share my decision although it may not match what many of you have decided :o
    In my criteria to find a house to buy, one of my top criteria was that it should not be on a busy street since the road noise and spikes in noise when ambulance etc. go by reduces the quality of life. I reviewed flight paths of planes to-fro Dublin airport and realized that the planes are very close to the ground over portmarnock and lower swords. so it provides a similar experience as road noise.
    so i decided to deprioritize these neighborhoods in my search for house.
    some links i came across -
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/446311/noise-aircraft-noise-effects-on-health.pdf
    https://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/how_does_living_with_aircraft_noise_affect_wellbeing_uk_airports_462na3_en.pdf

Wanted to share my decision although it may not match what many of you have decided :o
    In my criteria to find a house to buy, one of my top criteria was that it should not be on a busy street since the road noise and spikes in noise when ambulance etc. go by reduces the quality of life. I reviewed flight paths of planes to-fro Dublin airport and realized that the planes are very close to the ground over portmarnock and lower swords. so it provides a similar experience as road noise.
    so i decided to deprioritize these neighborhoods in my search for house.
    some links i came across -
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/446311/noise-aircraft-noise-effects-on-health.pdf
    https://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/how_does_living_with_aircraft_noise_affect_wellbeing_uk_airports_462na3_en.pdf

Yep, you'll still be looking for your ideal home in 2035, good luck with it! Avg house prices will be even worse by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

On the fingal County Council planning pages you can view the airport noise boundaries - inner noise zone, outer noise zone, etc.

Grew up in Portmarnock and now live in Swords and the planes have never bothered me. In fact my mother was only recently saying that she actually misses them with the covid drop in flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭standardg60

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yep, you'll still be looking for your ideal home in 2035, good luck with it! Avg house prices will be even worse by then.

Agree, you're way overthinking this OP, as others have said you soon learn to live with and ignore an initially annoying sound.
    Have you ever visited someone with a loud ticking clock and wondered how they manage to live with it? They don't even hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Fingal Coco just published a noise map on their Facebook page which should help the OP.

• Advertisement

Advertisement