Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Better to leave it until end November. The strain the current vaccine is working on might not work. The next batch might!

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Better to leave it until end November. The strain the current vaccine is working on might not work. The next batch might!

Just saying.

Not aware the flu vaccine is tweaked during a season? Are you just speculating?

Water John wrote: »
    Not aware the flu vaccine is tweaked during a season? Are you just speculating?

Well I am sure you can check it out yourself. Of course it is being tweaked. Issue is the Southern Hemisphere has had few flu outbreaks so the vaccine now has to suit the Northern Hemisphere as always,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Type 1 diabetic, get it every year now I'm old and decrepit

Booked in for the 20th, the pharmacy have already got through two batches.

3d4life wrote: »
    A "cold" ( colds always go to my chest )

being immunosuppressed probably doesnt help :D

That's not the vaccine, it doesn't work on the respiratory system specifically but rather your immune system in general. It's likely ya picked up those viral respiratory infections at the places ya got the vaccine. Doctors' surgeries and chemists' are full of people brewing bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got mine on Thursday in Boots for free due to having Crohn's.

Had some mild after effects for a couple of days. Woozy with a bit of a scratch in my throat. Seems to be gone now.

I'm on a waiting list with Boots and I've also contacted Lloyds. Next stop GP. I've been getting it with Boots each year and I never even had a sniffle but I've been obsessed with hand sanitizer and not touching surfaces long before Covid. I had a renal transplant a couple of years ago. Usually it costs around €20 in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OK, time for time away from Boards me thinks :(
    Give my head some peace :(

Ah best to ignore the cranks and keep on posting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm on a waiting list with Boots and I've also contacted Lloyds. Next stop GP. I've been getting it with Boots each year and I never even had a sniffle but I've been obsessed with hand sanitizer and not touching surfaces long before Covid. I had a renal transplant a couple of years ago. Usually it costs around €20 in Boots.

I haven't had a single sniffle in 2020 at all due to the heightened cleanliness everywhere. One good thing to come out of all this covid sh1te!

/Edit - until I got the flu vaccine that is! Passed after about three days thankfully.

I am not a crank, just saying what I see.

Nothing personal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've booked an appointent for the shoot. Based on the statistical outcome, time spend for the appointment versus a week being very ill, makes sense.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am not a crank, just saying what I see.

Nothing personal at all

Mod:

You can have a holiday from AH for your troubles too.

Do not post in this thread again on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm a healthcare worker so get it every year. No sign of it yet this year. There must be supply constraints. I'd normally have gotten it either this week or last week. If there's no sign of it soon I'll just book an appointment myself.

Type 1 diabetic, get it every year now I'm old and decrepit

Booked in for the 20th, the pharmacy have already got through two batches.

Are you getting the pneumonia vaccine as well?

I got it two years ago, even though I am under 65. (its every 5 years). Its recommended for diabetics and can be given at the same time as the flu vaccine.

After info from Boardsies here, de used to try Boots. Now booked for 19th October in a south Dublin branch. A bird in the hand, as the saying goes. Goodness knows when my local chemist would be able to oblige. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never got it, mainly because I don't get the flu. I'm one of those 15-20% who are asymptomatic, or not enough to notice much anyway(my dad was the same). No doubt a few mild "bugs" I've gotten over the years were the flu. Though latterly I have been thinking of getting it so I don't act as a carrier for those who do get it badly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Never got it, mainly because I don't get the flu. I'm one of those 15-20% who are asymptomatic, or not enough to notice much anyway(my dad was the same). No doubt a few mild "bugs" I've gotten over the years were the flu. Though latterly I have been thinking of getting it so I don't act as a carrier for those who do get it badly.

You could donate antibodies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering do you feel sick after getting it or is that a myth?

Get it every year here, I'm diabetic and it normally just causes low blood sugars for 24 or 36 hours afterwards.

I mustn't have been exposed to one of this years strains before now as I had a bad few days of mild flu symptoms, coughing, runny nose, tiredness, slow reactions. So I was advised to get a covid test, just in case. Negative, thankfully.

A week today, still coughing but much better than the last few days.

Having been exercised enough this morning to email my own pharmacy, they phoned me just there to say to come over at noon and I would be vaccinated, as they had a cancellation. She said the whole thing is quite all over the place as I suspected.

So Boardsies, seems you have to be proactive to get your shot in a timely way, and literally not wait your turn :( which is the way medicine in general operates in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here's the information on side effects of the vaccine being given this year: https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/quadrivalent-influenza-vaccine-split-virion-inactivated--33499/smpc

You can feel a little ill afterwards, fatigue isn't uncommon or a slight fever. This happened to both me and my spouse after our vaccine last week Monday at our local chemist.

We get vaccinated every year if at all possible. One year I didn't and was miserable all winter as a result, laid me up good, lost weight, extremely high fevers. This illness is underplayed in the media, it's common enough in the Winter and very debilitating. Much worse than 'a bad cold' which imo people mistake for 'the flu' or 'a touch of the flu.' It wasn't in my experience at all, no comparing.

Get it every year here, I'm diabetic and it normally just causes low blood sugars for 24 or 36 hours afterwards.

I mustn't have been exposed to one of this years strains before now as I had a bad few days of mild flu symptoms, coughing, runny nose, tiredness, slow reactions. So I was advised to get a covid test, just in case. Negative, thankfully.

A week today, still coughing but much better than the last few days.

Just reading this article, which seems to contradict itself. Even otherwise reliable medical sources can cause confusion:

https://www.self.com/story/flu-shot-side-effects

But in any case, a dose of influenza is always worse than side effects, so I would hate folk to be put off by talk of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I was Lloyds pharmacy at the weekend. They said it will be 3-4 weeks before they will have more vaccines in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I might get it this year for the first time. Will you get it and if not why not?

No. Because I couldn't be arsed.

As a side note, is it possible to tell which strain of the flu will be prominent this year.

No. Because I couldn't be arsed.

As a side note, is it possible to tell which strain of the flu will be prominent this year.

The WHO have figured the most likely strains out, but I believe it's a bit like weather-forecasting with no absolute guarantees. The more influenza immunities you have over time the less likely you are to have a catastrophic outcome if you do get a new strain. Pre-exposed people tend to have better outcomes, as evidenced by the immune naive young folk who succumbed in the 1918 pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I've got it the last 2 years and had a slight bit of fever and general malaise for the following 24hrs or so. It really isn't bad though and way more preferable to being floored for days or weeks with the flu. And even if you don't normally get the flu, it's doing your part to help prevent spread to the more vulnerable among us.

Just booked my appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

It seems the issue overall this year is simply that manufacturers are not set up to produce the amount of vaccines demanded this year. There was no increase in manufacturing capability. A foretaste of the type of thing we will have when the Covid vaccine first becomes available.

https://www.fffenterprises.com/news/articles/article-2020-09-10.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The WHO have figured the most likely strains out, but I believe it's a bit like weather-forecasting with no absolute guarantees. The more influenza immunities you have over time the less likely you are to have a catastrophic outcome if you do get a new strain. Pre-exposed people tend to have better outcomes, as evidenced by the immune naive young folk who succumbed in the 1918 pandemic.

I understand that it helps and will restrict its spread.

I know it's a stretch to say that it's a leap of faith but I think you know what I'm getting at.

There'll always be some element of risk involved with these things.

Set to get the vaccine in 30 minutes :) and will report here when the mild side effects set in. But again I will emphasise this should never put folk off getting it, me they just remind me it's taking effect :)

• Advertisement

Just had it one minute ago, painless injection. Muscle is now starting to ache and twitch, so a nice local reaction commencing :)

Advertisement