Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent costs breaking records

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Why do these things always fall back to handouts.

house prices are fierce high.
    Why do you want handouts?

Were you in a council house btw. That was a handout if so.

I don't want handouts, what on earth ever gave you that impression. And no I wasn't in a council house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Trailerr

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Tofu pudding;
    Tofu Pudding. 6 cups fresh soy milk. 1 Tbsp corn starch. 1/4 cup water. 1/2 tsp glucono delta lactone (GDL)
    Ginger Syrup. 3 inch knob fresh ginger. 1 Tbsp white sugar. 9 oz brown slab sugar or brown sugar. ...
    Making the Tofu Pudding.
    Making the Ginger Syrup.
    Serving and Storing the Tofu Pudding with Ginger Syrup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Trailerr wrote: »
    Tofu pudding

Tofu??? Pah! Bloody foreign stuff. I blame the open borders.

Tofu??? Pah! Bloody foreign stuff. I blame the open borders.
    Is that supposed to be funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If so it succeeded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

LirW wrote: »
    I live in a pretty rural area and there aren't many skilled jobs, so plenty of commuters to Dublin, Kilkenny and Wexford. This is the area where you move when you can't get a high mortgage. Recently my partner had troubles sleeping and the local GP told him she has people like him in all the time. The only fruitful advice besides medication she can give to people: Move closer to the job, change to a closer job (which lowers income in most cases) or emigrate.
    There is a real commuter syndrome.

I feel sorry for yourself and your bf,I am in the same boat with my own gf,she suffers with depression and lack of proper sleep,I myself have suffered with both,doctor told me to meditate as I didn't want to take tablets and become dependent on them,I was 29 when I went in eventually to see him,he told me it's actually quite common for people of that age to seek help,like most I think society of this age expect your life to be all sorted by 30 which is not the case

I have just learned to relax a bit more and stop thinking about things so much,people will always judge a book by its cover but takes a real person to look past that
    Enjoy what you have a bit more is the best advice I have been giving

I don't expect anything to change in Ireland in the near future

Humour is in the eye of the beholder.

Just a point that was asked by someone in A&P - if it's so good being a LL in Ireland why is the number of RTB registrations down by 2%, surely they should be massively up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can't speak for previous generations only my own and my own opinion,The future is mental health issues with a mixture of alcoholism and drug dependency to cope with everyday life
    The amount of people my age who I know that rely on anti depressants/ sleeping tablets to cope with reality is frightening
    Outside of the shite talk about generations I would agree that in a lot of ways people under thirty have it harder today than my generation did. Yes my generation had less overall and we most of our lives were lived during local and global recessions of varying severity, however we had nowhere near the social pressure of kids today. Neither did we get force fed (often unrealistic)expectations to nearly the same degree. Nor was the level of consumer crap piled so high. They have more educational opportunities alright and more possible career choices, but with a concomitant rise in not quite making it. I would say there are more chances at failures and certainly setbacks. Unless it's in the public service "jobs for life" are a lot thinner on the ground.

Rents were certainly cheaper. I knew lads renting at 18/19 in the mid 80's who could easily afford it as students with part time jobs. Bedsits I grant you, but pretty cheap and that was in Dublin, within walking distance of the city centre. Mortgages were pricey, but houses were much cheaper too. Among the cheapest in Europe.

Much of the initial "boom" in house prices in the mid 90's was as much a correction to EU standards and a bulge in demographics were there were more young types starting out wanting to buy. Which as we know went mad and we ended up with more housing than people wanting to buy them. Even a cursory glance at the demographics would have predicted that, but when you're making hay and the tax take is up...

Demographics would have helped with the current screwup too. People don't stop having kids, populations rise, cities where the jobs are get squeezed for space. This was patently obvious when the crash happened and it should have been allowed for. It wasn't and here we are again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

Wibbs wrote: »
    They young have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations. Moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things, and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones. Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning. All their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything; they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else. Aristotle.

That quote is bollox: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehave/

• Advertisement

Humour is in the eye of the beholder.

It's no laughing matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The situation in Dublin is beyond critical. And the very few, exceptionally few places you can find to rent that are affordable, the conditions are below any and all health safety standards with mold etc. And the landlords don't need to improve anything because the demand is so high.

Now, of course there are places in the world where it gets worse...but what is remarkable and unique is how much of a non-issue it is in Ireland. Yes people complain online and there is criticism when such reports come out, but overall there is very political and national pressure to undergo the massive changes that are needed to tackle this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Groceries and household supplies. €300.
    Phone bills, can't get much lower than €30 a month so that's €60.

300 a month to feed 2 people? You could do it on half that if you wanted to, and probably with better variety if you were willing to buy healthy staples like lentils and chickpeas and learn how to cook.

Everyone I know pays 20 for their phone.

It's no laughing matter

You need to lighten up a bit about 3/10 for effort so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I feel sorry for yourself and your bf,I am in the same boat with my own gf,she suffers with depression and lack of proper sleep,I myself have suffered with both,doctor told me to meditate as I didn't want to take tablets and become dependent on them,I was 29 when I went in eventually to see him,he told me it's actually quite common for people of that age to seek help,like most I think society of this age expect your life to be all sorted by 30 which is not the case

I have just learned to relax a bit more and stop thinking about things so much,people will always judge a book by its cover but takes a real person to look past that
    Enjoy what you have a bit more is the best advice I have been giving

I don't expect anything to change in Ireland in the near future

I wish you all the best!

Himself can move job in January closer to home, less opportunities but a lot less travelling time.
    We bought the house because we needed to move, it was within our budget, the area is nice and it'll do for a while. But I'm planning to go back to work soon again and once there's money saved up, we'll move - either here or abroad.

We know plenty of couples though in Dublin that are just in the situation of renting with prospect of buying and they all struggle. Stable jobs but not making a fortune, self-employment, baby arriving earlier than planned. At some point in your life you simply wanna move to the next level and no matter what you try making it work somehow. And since the living costs are high you'll pay for it in some way.
    The only couple that already bought in Dublin lives in a nice part but he's from a loaded family, they got help and he earns 3 times (insane money) of what she earns. They're definitely not the p1ss average Dub couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Just a point that was asked by someone in A&P - if it's so good being a LL in Ireland why is the number of RTB registrations down by 2%, surely they should be massively up?

If it’s so bad why is it only down by 2%.

Austria! wrote: »
    300 a month to feed 2 people? You could do it on half that if you wanted to, and probably with better variety if you were willing to buy healthy staples like lentils and chickpeas and learn how to cook.

Everyone I know pays 20 for their phone.

Lentils, chickpeas and 20 Euro per month phone bills is hardly that common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cordy1969 wrote: »
    So what reality of the young people now is any different from previous generations? Please educate me.

And high horsery as you quoted, I grew up in a council estate surrounded by crime everyday of of my life. I didn't sit there and complain endlessly, I got on with life and made things happen the old fashioned way by getting off my arse and doing it myself without depending on handouts from governments.

You grew up on A council estate. Do the government literally solved the housing problem for your parents. I can’t look past the irony of you saying you didn’t take handouts from the government.

Too ironic but unfortunately not unusual for some of the older folk to take the help they got from the government for granted but begrudge anyone else receiving government support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Unless they allow high density high rise it is unlikely supply will ever meet demand in Dublin. The lack of supply makes the housing in Dublin almost a guaranteed investment opportunity and that is a dangerous situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

The_Brood wrote: »
    The situation in Dublin is beyond critical. And the very few, exceptionally few places you can find to rent that are affordable, the conditions are below any and all health safety standards with mold etc. And the landlords don't need to improve anything because the demand is so high.

Now, of course there are places in the world where it gets worse...but what is remarkable and unique is how much of a non-issue it is in Ireland. Yes people complain online and there is criticism when such reports come out, but overall there is very political and national pressure to undergo the massive changes that are needed to tackle this.

The vast majority of the voting population are property owners, a lot without a mortgage, some even landlords. This doesn't impact them in any negative way so they don't care if rents are hitting new all time highs every year, it even benefits some of them. Government policy usually favours the majority so I wouldn't hold my breath for this situation changing any time soon. The only time actual change happens is external factors beyond government control (e.g. 2008-2012 world recession).

• Advertisement

You need to lighten up a bit about 3/10 for effort so far.

Not really mate, i earn good money but am living at home with my parents, otherwise i wouldn't have a red cent after paying rent

You grew up on A council estate. Do the government literally solved the housing problem for your parents. I can’t look past the irony of you saying you didn’t take handouts from the government.

Too ironic but unfortunately not unusual for some of the older folk to take the help they got from the government for granted but begrudge anyone else receiving government support.

I said I grew up on one yes, my family purchased it because thats all we could afford. There was no government help or handout so what was your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Moonjet wrote: »
    The vast majority of the voting population are property owners, a lot without a mortgage, some even landlords. This doesn't impact them in any negative way so they don't care if rents are hitting new all time highs every year, it even benefits some of them. Government policy usually favours the majority so I wouldn't hold my breath for this situation changing any time soon. The only time actual change happens is external factors beyond government control (e.g. 2008-2012 world recession).

I'd like to see proof of that because quite frankly I don't believe one word!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

I'd like to see proof of that because quite frankly I don't believe one word!

which part?

I said I grew up on one yes, my family purchased it because thats all we could afford. There was no government help or handout so what was your point?

Your parents purchased it at market prices? Did you live their previously.

Your parents purchased it at market prices? Did you live their previously.

Yes they purchased it at market prices and no we didn't live there previously. And they still live there if you really need to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

If it’s so bad why is it only down by 2%.

Love this. Such a small minded comment. 2pc of entire market is massive. As he asked. I’d ll are raking in the money why is rental pool getting smaller. You would think it would go up by 2pc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Moonjet wrote: »
    which part?

What bit of "not one word" was unclear ?

Fol20 wrote: »
    Love this. Such a small minded comment. 2pc of entire market is massive. As he asked. I’d ll are raking in the money why is rental pool getting smaller. You would think it would go up by 2pc

(What’s small minded about the comment)

2% is nothing. Insignificant. Many accidental landlords are selling up because they are out of negative equity.

Not because landlords in general aren’t taking in more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

2% is nothing. Insignificant. Many accidental landlords are selling up because they are out of negative equity.

There is about 500k rentals at the moment. 2pc decline is about 10k rentals. If that isnt large , tell me what is large to you? If that continues to decline at that rate, and that isnt even including the fact that the government are skewing results with large housing bodies, why do you think rental prices are continuing to rise? Basic economics means that you need more supply to bring down prices when in ireland its declining. That orelse we need all the current people looking to rent to just disappear.

And that says exactly what is wrong with today's way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Its like that because of the government restrictions. Maybe if people lobbied the government to change the ridiculous laws like rent capping, time it takes to evict non paying tenants etc etc.
    Imagine owning an asset and being told who you can and can't rent it to, or being told what you can and can't charge. Then at the end of it having to provide accommodation free of charge for 2 years it takes to evict a non paying tenant.
    Yes being a LL is so easy its like having a money printing machine.

Seriously though it does make you wonder how much trouble the country is going to be in the future with attitudes like above.

The older people posters have referred to as having it easy. Those "older people" you make reference to got a mortgage and payed it off when interest rates were in excess of 10%. Current interest rates are on average 3 to 4%. Yes the younger generation has it sooooo tough.

Neither of these would have been enforced had landlords not been acting unfairly and at times close to the law. Discriminating against Rent Allowance and HAP would be tenants. etc etc.

Would you maybe provide exact stats re rent defaulters? Very few in fact.

And yes, very like a cash printer. Wonderful summing up there from my considerable private renting experience.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Neither of these would have been enforced had landlords not been acting unfairly and at times close to the law. Discriminating against Rent Allowance and HAP would be tenants. etc etc.

And yes, very like a cash printer. Wonderful summing up there from my considerable private renting experience.

If someone owns an asset, they can choose who they want to rent that to surely?

Ah lads!!! This thread is comical and its no wonder we never see any change in this country. I am 32 years old and consider myself part of the younger, shut out generation. (Properly started working full time just before 2007)

The average wage in this country is 37500. Unfortunately, its not a wage that the average person earns. Younger people also tend to be on the wrong side of that figure due to lack of experience, not having worked in a company for 20 years etc.

I think that possibly the real issue here is that people, including our Taoiseach, don't realize how much the average young person earns. Without stats, I would say its mid 20's to 30's.

How anyone can say that its easier for younger people is beyond belief to me.

Take learning to drive as 1 example.. some older people were just given licenses and allowed to drive. A young person today will have to do a theory test, at least 12 driving lessons and still can't drive legally until they pass a test that is challenging to pass with a waiting list of 4 or 5 months currently. Then you get hit with car insurance, could be a few grand a year with your no claims.

Renting is impossible, the figures in Dublin have reached laughable levels.(Yet nobody is actually laughing)

Buying a home is not impossible, but it means 2 people working full time for 40 hours a week and saving very hard for 4/5 years to most likely ending up buying outside Dublin and commuting daily.

I don't doubt that things were tough for the older generation. But you could at least buy a house in Dublin, have a car and start a family by
    your late 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

no

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

Since being in Ireland, have you spent long paying for your rent entirely from your own income?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

As I said at the top it was for a childless couple. And you spend 150 a month on clothes lol?... The things below you say aren't calculated is because they are a luxury not a necessity. Do you want a house or a new wardrobe.

€150 a month on clothes for two people. That's €900 a year, each. That's including footwear.

Think you should be in the stingy thread on boards if someone spending €75 a month on clothes and footwear is a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Ah lads!!! This thread is comical and its no wonder we never see any change in this country. I am 32 years old and consider myself part of the younger, shut out generation. (Properly started working full time just before 2007)

The average wage in this country is 37500. Unfortunately, its not a wage that the average person earns. Younger people also tend to be on the wrong side of that figure due to lack of experience, not having worked in a company for 20 years etc.

I think that possibly the real issue here is that people, including our Taoiseach, don't realize how much the average young person earns. Without stats, I would say its mid 20's to 30's.

How anyone can say that its easier for younger people is beyond belief to me.

Take learning to drive as 1 example.. some older people were just given licenses and allowed to drive. A young person today will have to do a theory test, at least 12 driving lessons and still can't drive legally until they pass a test that is challenging to pass with a waiting list of 4 or 5 months currently. Then you get hit with car insurance, could be a few grand a year with your no claims.

Renting is impossible, the figures in Dublin have reached laughable levels.(Yet nobody is actually laughing)

Buying a home is not impossible, but it means 2 people working full time for 40 hours a week and saving very hard for 4/5 years to most likely ending up buying outside Dublin and commuting daily.

I don't doubt that things were tough for the older generation. But you could at least buy a house in Dublin, have a car and start a family by
    your late 20's.

i think these generational arguments are really silly. the ability to buy a house isn't the be all and end all decider of life quality. especially for single schmucks like myself who don't really want to be tied to an address for 40 years. things suck at the moment but i'd much rather be around now than have been born in the 60's or whatever. climate catastrophe notwithstanding.

edit: it's also really self-absorbed to think you have it worse than any other generation, imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm curious what will happen all those 'renters for life' when they hit pension age?

How the fcuk will they be able to afford to pay their rent then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

No dogs, no blacks, no Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm curious what will happen all those 'renters for life' when they hit pension age?

we'll all be underwater by then

Eoghan Murphy has a plan in place involving dog crates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Government will house them of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Government will house them of course

Where? Reopen the Magdelene Laundries?

Where? Reopen the Magdelene Laundries?

They would want to have some plan in place .

I mean the amount of people not working renting privately through HAP and the amount of people who are working not able to afford to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

That really concerns me too.... the people who are living in means tested income linked accommodation will be grand though.

kcdiom wrote: »
    That really concerns me too.... the people who are living in means tested income linked accommodation will be grand though.

Not really . Renters for life will no longer working so their means will be roughly the same

And that says exactly what is wrong with today's way of thinking.

What exactly is wrong with my post? Can you possibly try and put a coherent argument together.

Nope. All kinds of laws stop you doing things with your property, and even more laws on landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Its like that because of the government restrictions. Maybe if people lobbied the government to change the ridiculous laws like rent capping, time it takes to evict non paying tenants etc etc.
    Imagine owning an asset and being told who you can and can't rent it to, or being told what you can and can't charge. Then at the end of it having to provide accommodation free of charge for 2 years it takes to evict a non paying tenant.
    Yes being a LL is so easy its like having a money printing machine.

Seriously though it does make you wonder how much trouble the country is going to be in the future with attitudes like above.

The older people posters have referred to as having it easy. Those "older people" you make reference to got a mortgage and payed it off when interest rates were in excess of 10%. Current interest rates are on average 3 to 4%. Yes the younger generation has it sooooo tough.

You have to controls because Ireland being Ireland, people tend to take the piss and chance their arms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement