Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent costs breaking records

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

cordy1969 wrote: »
    Or you could move anywhere in Kildare, Meath or Louth which are all commutable areas also.

And Laois - I commute from there. Pain in the hoop largely but a nice quiet gaff and I'm not gouged for rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So as I said people don't want to live where they can afford? They want to live in the high end of town from the start.

Exactly my point, thanks for clarifying it

I think it's more that people want to buy a house where they don't have to constantly worry about the place getting robbed if/when they go on holiday, their car/bike getting nicked when they go to bed and not having a load of scumbags ruining the place.

Wanting to live in a decent area makes absolute sense to me. Buying a house is quite literally planning for the next 30+ years of your life, so why wouldn't you be picky about where you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

LirW wrote: »
    And then would you get a mortgage to move to Jobsdown, Darndale or riot capital Balbriggan because that's what you can afford?

I have lived in balbriggan 21 years and can`t recall there ever being a riot.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think it's more that people want to buy a house where they don't have to constantly worry about the place getting robbed if/when they go on holiday, their car/bike getting nicked when they go to bed and not having a load of scumbags ruining the place.

Wanting to live in a decent area makes absolute sense to me. Buying a house is quite literally planning for the next 30+ years of your life, so why wouldn't you be picky about where you live?

Those damn millennials should know their place.

I have lived in balbriggan 21 years and can`t recall there ever being a riot.......

You weren't there the other week so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Sonics2k wrote: »

I agree, what I have said previously there is ample affordable property out of town but within a commutable distance that is affordable. There are lots of lovely villages just outside Dublin, that would benefit immensely to the local economy.

But if they want to stay in town and within their budget, then yes there will be issues regarding safety etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Or you could move anywhere in Kildare, Meath or Louth which are all commutable areas also.

Doesn't answer my question, you posted some links of affordable houses in Dublin, so would you live there yourself if it's your budget?
    It's either crap area in Dublin or long commute and what you save in mortgage you'll pay in transport costs and time. Have you ever been on a commuter train or a motorway in rush hour and seen how miserable some of these people are?
    My GP treats a lot of people that have mental health issues related to long commutes.

I don't know why anyone thinks that the way things are at the moment it's all great and it's just the fault of young people who don't wanna compromise. The market is broken with sky-high rents, expensive property prices, a dysfunctional infrastructure, all that drives people further out to be able to live where they can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

To be fair you could gentrify Jobstown by installing indoor plumbing and having two people get jobs.

While I agree there are bad eggs in Jobstown and of course its never easy to distinguish people from afar .But is it absolutely necessary to speak about people as if they were dirt on your shoe .? There are decent people in all areas including Jobstown and your kind of attitude towards them is so demoralising .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭kalych

Great, so established then. From your comments:
    The average couple (with no kids only, cause reasons), saving for 5 years (no nights out during this time), unmarried (cause wedding expenses not included), no holidays (cause that's luxury), on an average industrial wage( both of them), no ilnesses or grievances in the family(cause those don't happen to an average person), no SAVING FOR RETIREMENT(unless it's after buying a house, unless you want kids, cause you can't have both apparently). And your choice is either Jobstown or Louth.

Cool, gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.
    Regards.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    While I agree there are bad eggs in Jobstown and of course its never easy to distinguish people from afar .But is it absolutely necessary to speak about people as if they were dirt on your shoe .? There are decent people in all areas including Jobstown and your kind attitude towards them is so demoralising .

The news report of the "protests" must have been fictional then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Augeo wrote: »
    That sounds very 2004/2005/2006 ish :)
    Every tide turns.

Of course the reason rents are so high now is because so few people managed to get on the ladder after the last crash... as banks were very selective in lending. It is easy to say "I will buy during the next crash"... and yet, large numbers of people didn't buy during the last crash

You weren't there the other week so ?

I`m assuming that you are referring to trouble in portmarnock (27kms away) caused by "lads from balbriggan"

kalych wrote: »
    Great, so established then. From your comments:
    The average couple (with no kids only, cause reasons), saving for 5 years (no nights out during this time), unmarried (cause wedding expenses not included), no holidays (cause that's luxury), on an average industrial wage( both of them), no ilnesses or grievances in the family(cause those don't happen to an average person), no SAVING FOR RETIREMENT(unless it's after buying a house, unless you want kids, cause you can't have both apparently). And your choice is either Jobstown or Louth.

Cool, gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.
    Regards.

Its funny what you read into it, so you wouldn't move to a nice area in Kildare or Meath that affordable.

The news report of the "protests" must have been fictional then.

Did anyone say they weren't ? Was every single person from Jobstown there ? But this relentless looking down on others says a lot really in my opinion .

Its funny what you read into it, so you wouldn't move to a nice area in Kildare or Meath that affordable.

Funny what you cherry pick out of my post also, so the rest of my comment can be ignored now, right? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Modern day life is an existence for the majority of people in Ireland
    Born to Pay bills and no life after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If thousands of people are on HAP and getting their rent covered by the government how do people think rent will come down ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    While I agree there are bad eggs in Jobstown and of course its never easy to distinguish people from afar .But is it absolutely necessary to speak about people as if they were dirt on your shoe .? There are decent people in all areas including Jobstown and your kind of attitude towards them is so demoralising .

It's not that every person living there is scum, but it has a number of troublesome people and they seriously lower the quality of life for everyone there.
    And if I'm not moving there it's not an insult to the genuine people there but I simply don't wanna put myself or my family in an area where there's joyriding, dealing 24/7, ASB going on every day of the week.
    That's literally what defines a bad or or area and unfortunately Dublin has a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

There is something dysfunctional when the cost of a standard semi D/terrace house puts it beyond the reach of so many. Rent is dead money and ideally should only be a stop gap/short term measure unless a lifestyle choice.

• Advertisement

It's not that every person living there is scum, but it has a number of troublesome people and they seriously lower the quality of life for everyone there.
    And if I'm not moving there it's not an insult to the genuine people there but I simply don't wanna put myself or my family in an area where there's joyriding, dealing 24/7, ASB going on every day of the week.
    That's literally what defines a bad or or area and unfortunately Dublin has a few of them.
    Look I get that and am not arguing against that . At least you have the decency not to put everyone there down with insulting posts .

The quoted post is a good summary of the high horsery you've been showing here. It would be nice if you'd answer the questions people ask you. You seem very out of touch with the reality young people are facing.

The quoted post is a good summary of the high horsery you've been showing here. It would be nice if you'd answer the questions people ask you. You seem very out of touch with the reality young people are facing.

So what reality of the young people now is any different from previous generations? Please educate me.

And high horsery as you quoted, I grew up in a council estate surrounded by crime everyday of of my life. I didn't sit there and complain endlessly, I got on with life and made things happen the old fashioned way by getting off my arse and doing it myself without depending on handouts from governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I have a weird view on it.

When ever I hear this "crisis" mentioned on the Radio.

Rents going up and up!

Speculators and Estate Agents are like the 80's Thundercats.

Bubble, buble, property bubble !

Cartoon tune plays "speculators hoe!"

(told you it was my weird view) - tramps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,890 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So what reality of the young people now is any different from previous generations? Please educate me.

rapid rising asset prices v's low wage inflation, stagnant in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

lower earners 55k combined 1child. after rent and childcare there is no room for saving only hope is I get transferred from work to the back ends of no where to try afford a house.

• Advertisement

Modern day life is an existence for the majority of people in Ireland
    Born to Pay bills and no life after that!

not to be blunt but do you honestly believe that you no influence or control over this at all?

There is not a shortage of money in this world. Get a better job, up skill or go to night college to make yourself a more valuable candidate for better paying jobs, start a side business or online business, there is literally a million and one things you can do to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I agree, what I have said previously there is ample affordable property out of town but within a commutable distance that is affordable. There are lots of lovely villages just outside Dublin, that would benefit immensely to the local economy.

And once the villages are full, they move to other counties, which drives up the price in those "commuter counties", which means people living there can't afford housing.

I mean once Donegal and Leitrim are full we'll need to put a 2nd storey on the country.

That the average wage (median is closer to reality btw) puts an average house completely out of reach for an average couple without kids.
    And rents are sky high, supply is next to nothing, living costs are out of proportion.

So your solution to summarise your post is: a couple should live without any kind of luxury for 5 years to save a deposit to move to the worst parts of Dublin or far out to have a commute that's 10h+ per week on transport. Back in the good old days people could afford buying in a working class estate close to where the jobs are. If you earned more, then you could buy in an area even nicer.
    But nowadays financial prudence won't magically buy you a house in Glasnevin or Kimmage because they got too expensive because nobody bothered with planning the city adequately for the amount of jobs there.

And high horsery as you quoted, I grew up in a council estate surrounded by crime everyday of of my life. I didn't sit there and complain endlessly, I got on with life and made things happen the old fashioned way by getting off my arse and doing it myself without depending on handouts from governments.

Ahhh, finally. The infamous: 'i made it, so screw everyone else less fortunate post'. They always shine through eventually.

What is different now, is that now Ireland is a prosperous country, whereas in the 70s-80s it wasn't. Which is at the core of the argument. You've just been derailing it with meaningless personal arguments, not seeing the bigger picture.
    Regards.

Has anyone yet been able to come up with a satisfactory reason as to why it is absolutely fine to tell those of us who work for a living to "stop whining and get a better job" and yet it is somehow pure evil to tell some waster "get a job" ???

• Advertisement

Has anyone yet been able to come up with a satisfactory reason as to why it is absolutely fine to tell those of us who work for a living to "stop whining and get a better job" and yet it is somehow pure evil to tell some waster "get a job" ???

When faced with an unanswerable question, I always blame wizards.

When faced with an unanswerable question, I always blame wizards.

Good a reason as any!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

I have 10+ links saved at home computer. You can find these with google aswell. Heres one from CSO. Page 74

https://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/otherreleases/thatwasthenthisisnow.pdf

Dont take it as a personal attack. Im not saying your family didnt work hard. Im saying cost of living since the 60s has multiplied

Ray Palmer, cordy

Anything to say mate?

Ray Palmer, cordy

Anything to say mate?

Sorry still trying to finish my smashed avocado sandwich and latte. Its taking longer than expected as some silly millennial infront of me wanted raw sugar for his latte.

Also I just noticed there isn't enough pictures. You know us old guys can't read that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That the average wage (median is closer to reality btw) puts an average house completely out of reach for an average couple without kids.
    And rents are sky high, supply is next to nothing, living costs are out of proportion.

So your solution to summarise your post is: a couple should live without any kind of luxury for 5 years to save a deposit to move to the worst parts of Dublin or far out to have a commute that's 10h+ per week on transport. Back in the good old days people could afford buying in a working class estate close to where the jobs are. If you earned more, then you could buy in an area even nicer.
    But nowadays financial prudence won't magically buy you a house in Glasnevin or Kimmage because they got too expensive because nobody bothered with planning the city adequately for the amount of jobs there.

His second budget gave €2400 a month in spending after rent was paid. If you cant have some luxuries on €2400 a month then you need to learn to budget better.

The budget by ahnowbrowncow was just as bad:
    Living comfortably for a couple is €1,000 a month? You've never created a budget, have you?

The below are expenses the majority have to pay, I wouldn't class it as living comfortably. And estimated costs are at the lower end of the scale.

Groceries and household supplies. €300. (shop in aldi/lidl)
    Phone bills, can't get much lower than €30 a month so that's €60. (lycamobile €15 per month - €30 total)
    Transport costs, majority of people would spend a minimum of €30 a week. €240 (get a bike - once off €200)
    Broadband. €50. (vodafone - €25 a month)
    Clothes. €150.
    Electricity and heat. €100
    Health insurance for two people. €200. (VHI smart 500 plan - €113 a month)
    One car, tax and insurance. €80 (get rid of the car)
    Bin collection. €30

That comes to €1,210 a month. ( now €750 a month even leaving 300 for groceries)

Also people seem to be focusing on 280000 for a house. It was 280000+56000 of a deposit.

kalych wrote: »
    Ahhh, finally. The infamous: 'i made it, so screw everyone else less fortunate post'. They always shine through eventually.

What is different now, is that now Ireland is a prosperous country, whereas in the 70s-80s it wasn't. Which is at the core of the argument. You've just been derailing it with meaningless personal arguments, not seeing the bigger picture.
    Regards.

And I wasn't aware I made anything personal, I made a post saying that anyone can buy a house if they choose to and make the right decisions. You and other posters were the ones being rude and demeaning to certain areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

What on earth is a smashed avocado?

Sliced, spread, halved I can understand

mikemac2 wrote: »

Its something people use instead of an argument.

Its similar to a deconstructed cheese cake I'm told. You may need to ask a millennial for further clarification though.
    I think they charge me extra for the smashed part.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    rapid rising asset prices v's low wage inflation, stagnant in some cases

I can't speak for previous generations only my own and my own opinion,The future is mental health issues with a mixture of alcoholism and drug dependency to cope with everyday life
    The amount of people my age who I know that rely on anti depressants/ sleeping tablets to cope with reality is frightening

• Advertisement

His second budget gave €2400 a month in spending after rent was paid. If you cant have some luxuries on €2400 a month then you need to learn to budget better.

The budget by ahnowbrowncow was just as bad:

Also people seem to be focusing on 280000 for a house. It was 280000+56000 of a deposit.

Still with the assumption life is static and nothing could go wrong or circumstances couldn't significantly change.

Also 320k gives you more buying power but still puts you out of reach in most acceptable areas in Dublin since the prices are way beyond that and this sector it still the one with the most demand and houses sell above the asking price, so you start looking at houses around 280 to make sure you have wiggle room for bids.

Also getting rid of the car is not an option for everyone, the further out people are driven, the more they rely on a car. Public transport outside of urban areas is grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Trailerr

You can't have open borders and affordable housing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Sorry still trying to finish my smashed avocado sandwich and latte. Its taking longer than expected as some silly millennial infront of me wanted raw sugar for his latte.

Also I just noticed there isn't enough pictures. You know us old guys can't read that well.

All the jabs at millenials wont change the fact that your life is over and youre gonna die soon mate. Might aswell be happy with it than be mad at us 20 somethings

most people that work understand that you exchange your time for money and if you want more of it you either have to swap more time or find someone who pays better for your time (or cut expenses but this doesn't really solve the root problem). This is apposed to your quoted "waster" who probably doesn't give a sh*t about time or money (or you telling them to get a job)

So if someone who works complains of not having enough money the logical resort would be to tell them to try find a better paying job.

thats my two cents anyway......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The apartments that are being built are being snapped up en masse by REITs. Sure it's what everone wanted, the small time LL to fcuk off and it to be left to the professionals. Really is a case of be careful what you wish for...

I can't speak for previous generations only my own and my own opinion,The future is mental health issues with a mixture of alcoholism and drug dependency to cope with everyday life
    The amount of people my age who I know that rely on anti depressants/ sleeping tablets to cope with reality is frightening

I live in a pretty rural area and there aren't many skilled jobs, so plenty of commuters to Dublin, Kilkenny and Wexford. This is the area where you move when you can't get a high mortgage. Recently my partner had troubles sleeping and the local GP told him she has people like him in all the time. The only fruitful advice besides medication she can give to people: Move closer to the job, change to a closer job (which lowers income in most cases) or emigrate.
    There is a real commuter syndrome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Every generation looks down on the one that follows and guess what? The generation before said the same about you ;)

Somewhere in Ancient Greece was a chap complaining about the ‘yuff
    Aye. There were several. In Rome and Babylon too.

They young have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations. Moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things, and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones. Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning. All their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything; they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else. Aristotle.

*translation* Bloody kids these days. :D

It went the other way too, where the young bitched about old farts being out of touch. Not a lot changes. Every generation considers their's the better, or were worse off and sees those before them as old hat and those after them as feckless eejits in love with frippery who generally have it easier. And the ones complaining about the old today, will be that generation in time too and few lessons will be learned. Rinse and repeat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Still with the assumption life is static and nothing could go wrong or circumstances couldn't significantly change.

Also 320k gives you more buying power but still puts you out of reach in most acceptable areas in Dublin since the prices are way beyond that and this sector it still the one with the most demand and houses sell above the asking price, so you start looking at houses around 280 to make sure you have wiggle room for bids.

Also getting rid of the car is not an option for everyone, the further out people are driven, the more they rely on a car. Public transport outside of urban areas is grim.

I'm not assuming life is static. 2400 a month after rent should leave you comfortably able to deal with everyday issues.

And if something goes very wrong, at least if you are saving for a mortgage a you have a big nestegg saved to cope.

Getting rid of the car is an option. People just dont want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Why do these things always fall back to handouts.

Poster1: house prices are fierce high.
    Poster2: Why do you want handouts?

Were you in a council house btw. That was a handout if so.

• Advertisement

Trailerr wrote: »
    You can't have open borders and affordable housing

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement