Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Oli's still running the show there.

I got some fajita there and thought it was pretty gank, but everyone should try it just to see anyway.

Thanks, just popped in there yesterday to get a menu from the on the way to the dart. They are a bit limited on what they offer at the moment but will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,806 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The planning department and council management

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Preusse wrote: »
    Thanks, just popped in there yesterday to get a menu from the on the way to the dart. They are a bit limited on what they offer at the moment but will give it a try.

My friend got a burrito and they tried my fajita and apparently the burrito was 10x better so if you were to try something I'd recommend that.
    The planning department and council management

The planning dept. of the council? So the council do decide who comes into the town and who doesn't?

Also, there's a new pop-up shop where the old poundshop, then Foundation used to be. Looks like it's just there for the Christmas season. It's selling gifts!

The planning dept. of the council? So the council do decide who comes into the town and who doesn't?

Yes. The council NOT the Councillors!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Anyone any idea of what is going into totterdells?
    I walked past last weekend and they were painting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

danois wrote: »
    I see apache pizza is opening on the Main Street. Does anyone know what's going in where foundation was??

On that note. I ordered a pizza in there the other day, it was rank. I've had the same from the Lams/Apache in Greystones and it was much better. I think I'll stick to Mizzonis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not to turn into a pizza war but if mizzoni's is your stick to place then no wonder you didn't like apache :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

not to turn into a pizza war but if mizzoni's is your stick to place then no wonder you didn't like apache :pac:

They do like Apache, just not the Bray one.

I like the Greystones one, it's slick. Have yet to try Bray's though!
    Mizzonis have the best garlic sauce, hands down, but Dominos is my fave takeaway pizza.
    But if I feel like I'm very deserving, Pizzas'n'Cream ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The pizzas in Platform are really lovely but they don't deliver. Was always massive fan of pizzas and cream but hasn't been great the last few times I was there. Mizzonis - Wouldn't eat them if I was starving to death! Pizza slice is great for delivery and quite cheap with good deals on all the time. Fan of 4 star too.

Did I just type all that?! Diet starts after Christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Apache gets my vote for bravery anyway. I've been in Mizzoni's in Bray a couple of times and it always seems like I've walked into a Mafia meeting. I'd be looking over my shoulder opening a rival business across from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Tippex wrote: »

Looks like another cafe, saw tables and chairs in there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Please something different not panini and food under hot lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Is the "Crown of India" gone already? Looks like its closed down?

Regarding Mizzoni's Vs Apache, havn't tried Apache yet, but the last time I have ordered from Mizzoni's, the guy who took my order was obnoxious, got the order wrong, and got snotty with the missus when she rang to complain....... know who we will be ringing for our next Pizza Friday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Gourmet Cafe. Saw the sign go up today. It's the same cafe as the one in Georges Street, Dun Laoghaire. Way too many cafes in this town as it is and now we get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I wonder do people actually do market research when they decide to open a cafe.

There is a huge amount of Cafés in Bray. But the question should be, "are they any good?".

At present they all look and feel the same. That's why I liked Oli's. It was comfy and friendly and they didn't mind you hanging out for a few hours.

Finnbees strike me as the place where you're tolerated for a half hour then get out. The tables and chairs are really awkward in the one on the main st.

The betelnut is just mad expensive imo.

Molloys/Lizannes are for oul ones and not comfy at all.

I just got back from Manchester and there are no independent coffee shops in the city, or my mate who's lived there for 6 years didn't know of any anyway. So be thankful there's at least choice, even if none of them are of a high comfy standard, at least its not all starbucks and caffe nero!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hollands still do the best cup of coffee in the town. hasbean beans and comfy seats and really quiet midweek :pac:

Tippex wrote: »

Another one?

There's a "tea rooms" going into the Old Irish Nationwide on the corner of the bridge and I think that Cafe on the Florence Road just closed after 6 months

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Well, at least they are investing.

On the main street, the only place I would go for coffee/food is Mamma Mia.

I would imagine anywhere with footfall ie, the main street, will have enough passing trade to keep it going.

People complaining about another cafe coming in to Bray but I actually think it's badly needed.
    It's quality not quanity I'm after.

Compare's Bray's choice of eateries to Greystones and you'll see how poor it is.

Please don't tell me that the likes of Molloy's or Liz Annes (same family) is good.

Poor food with unimaginative selection of sandwiches and panini etc.

Betelnut is a bit better but quite expensive for what it is.

My own favourite is Campo de Fiori Risto Market.

Small selection of proper Italian pizza, salads, Pizzini (sort of sandwich) and meats and cheeses. Great coffee and cakes.
    Only thing is that service is very "Italian", as in it's all over the place and they don't believe in stock (they ran out of normal tea one day).

Finbees for coffee(not food) is not bad at all in my opinion, they don't rush you out as someone said and their loyalty card program is good. Pay €20 and get €22 credit and every 6th or 7th coffee is free.

• Advertisement

I've never had any issue with the service in Campo Market - best place to go at the mo in Bray, well, there and Mamma Mia.

Would never think about anywhere else on the main street.

For a nice relaxed coffee, check out Ocean Grill. They serve throughout the day. Nice sea views and bright. I woulnd't pop in at a busy time just to order coffee though.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I've never had any issue with the service in Campo Market - best place to go at the mo in Bray, well, there and Mamma Mia.

Surprised at this.

I'm always frustrated in the place.

I find the place disorganised. If you order a coffee and sandwich at the till they will go off and make it and ignore the next customer in the queue and then they will serve other ready orders or collect empties.

They really need to get organised in my opinion. Food is very tasty though and keeps me going back.

I have never really had any issues there. But I'm in there nearly every other day. I guess sometimes when they are busy there's a bit of a delay but never enough to annoy me.

Gusto is also a nice relaxed place to sit and take your time. I never feel rushed there and there's a real community feel about the place.

Hopefully the new place on the main street will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

They're a stones throw from my house, so I can call up, walk over and it's ready. But people are right, you could feel awfully intimidated in there and they certainly don't seem to appreciate your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

I passed the new cafe, and told them that there were too many cafes in Bray as it was. They're Italians. They didn't understand.

Mizzoni's, I remember they once misrang us, saying are we some address. Thne, we rang them for a takeaway, and they thought we were that address they had misrang.

foxy06 wrote: »
    The pizzas in Platform are really lovely but they don't deliver. Was always massive fan of pizzas and cream but hasn't been great the last few times I was there. Mizzonis - Wouldn't eat them if I was starving to death! Pizza slice is great for delivery and quite cheap with good deals on all the time. Fan of 4 star too.

Did I just type all that?! Diet starts after Christmas!!
    they've changed Shoestring chips. If you compare the Shoestring chips to the short-lived BBC series of the same name, then the new larger ones are the Bergerac, the longer, more popular sucessor.

I passed the new cafe, and told them that there were too many cafes in Bray as it was. They're Italians. They didn't understand.

That's a bit of a horrible thing to do!

Terry Pratchet

I thought that was a joke?

• Advertisement

I basically said to them that although there are enough cafes, that there's never enough good food. The Scullery is mank. Graham O'Sulivans is only for down and outs and Chinese couples and single mothers.

Advertisement