Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you handle getting Fired?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Your manager was picking on you to gain brevity with your workmates. He was using you as an example of how he treats people who get on the wrong side of him.
    Although I looked it up, I'm not sure I understand your use of the word 'brevity' there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Although I looked it up, I'm not sure I understand your use of the word 'brevity' there.

I probably don't.

I am a moron you know?

I am a moron you know?
    When you want to be!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think i found the OPs profession

DistantDecisiveCopperbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

I should change my name to IAMAMALAPROPISM.

What do you think?

Ever changed your name Bio?

• Advertisement

When you want to be!

Your fired btw.

My people will be in touch, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

She lost the plot again and stormed out of her own office.

:D:D

I would have loved to see that!

What I particularly hate is when you hear other colleagues talking about how useless they are at their job. Sometimes when being trained up by these people they might end up showing me a particular task and complement how quick it took me to learn it compared to themselves. When you suspect you're going to get fired, comments like this will confuses you.

It would often be the case that someone in management would tell me that they cannot afford to spend extra time training me up, and then later on that day I'd have another colleague tell me how they were so bad at the same shift when they started out and how it took them months to learn it. I've come to learn that that might just be an Irish thing: talking yourself down when you're actually quite good at something. I suppose when you hear a colleague say something like "I swear to God I'm going to get fired if I mess up again today", it's a sure sign that their quite comfortable that they have their job!

What I particularly hate is when you hear other colleagues talking about how useless they are at their job. Sometimes when being trained up by these people they might end up showing me a particular task and complement how quick it took me to learn it compared to themselves. When you suspect you're going to get fired, comments like this will confuses you.

It would often be the case that someone in management would tell me that they cannot afford to spend extra time training me up, and then later on that day I'd have another colleague tell me how they were so bad at the same shift when they started out and how it took them months to learn it. I've come to learn that that might just be an Irish thing: talking yourself down when you're actually quite good at something. I suppose when you hear a colleague say something like "I swear to God I'm going to get fired if I mess up again today", it's a sure sign that their quite comfortable that they have their job!

If you think that's bad OP, ask a clearly wealthy farmer how many acres he's got...

There are a number of things happening here Bio. First of all you are realising how straightforward and mundane any workplace task is after a certain amount of time. Even landing a jumbo jet will seem straightforward to a pilot when she is doing it for the 538th time.

Compliments from colleagues can be interpreted in any one of two ways. Your are either being patronised or your colleague is exercising politeness. It is important in team mechanics that colleagues feel comfortable at all times, even if they appear to be incompetent.

The realisation that all your workmates and colleagues are actually full of shight and are just playing a game whilst licking your bosse's arse can be a tough one to swallow when it eventually dawns on you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Maffia have a system of who ever fires first = wins , well if they kill the target .

Another time I was fired, everything had to be written down during the exchange between me and the manager. So it took about three times as long as what it would've otherwise. As you can imagine this made it very difficult defend myself. You're also going to be a lot more careful of what you put in writing. I didn't bother trying to put up a fight as I figured that's the whole point in doing it that way. But once everything was taken down (as I expected), we had a quick chat and I got to say what I wanted to off the record.

Another time I was fired, everything had to be written down during the exchange between me and the manager. So it took about three times as long as what it would've otherwise. As you can imagine this made it very difficult defend myself. You're also going to be a lot more careful of what you put in writing. I didn't bother trying to put up a fight as I figured that's the whole point in doing it that way. But once everything was taken down (as I expected), we had a quick chat and I got to say what I wanted to off the record.

What were the questions which your manager asked you to reply to in writing?

What did you talk about, " off the record".

What did you talk about, " off the record".
    I talked about how other staff would face off aisles quicker than me because they weren't being careful about their work. When they would find stuck around the store that they didn't know where was supposed to go, they'd just throw it behind a load of other stuff. The managers just care about speed on the day. Whereas, if everyone put as much care into a task as me, it mightn't need to be done again for a very long time.

There's a sense of purpose to doing a task properly. If you don't, then you really do realise how stupid the job you're really doing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I've been fired once, I went straight into a bookies and put a massive reckless bet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I've been fired once, I went straight into a bookies and put a massive reckless bet on.

Were you fired for going to meetings and making statements but only giving half the story?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Zealand: Man brings clown to redundancy meeting

_108818218_c745a20d-ea6f-46d1-a48c-5416be22dca4.jpg

The clown made animal balloons during the meeting

I talked about how other staff would face off aisles quicker than me because they weren't being careful about their work. When they would find stuck around the store that they didn't know where was supposed to go, they'd just throw it behind a load of other stuff. The managers just care about speed on the day. Whereas, if everyone put as much care into a task as me, it mightn't need to be done again for a very long time.

There's a sense of purpose to doing a task properly. If you don't, then you really do realise how stupid the job you're really doing is.

You should really have put that down in writing Bio, it could have saved your job.

Do you miss packing shelves in a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭I see sheep

rizzodun wrote: »
    Were you fired for going to meetings and making statements but only giving half the story?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Work in the public sector.
    It's literally impossible to get fired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Are we including redundancy?

I have been made redundant twice in the last 20 years. Once because the company was leaving Ireland (long time ago now). More recently because the company decided I was surplus to their requirements as I had no interest in moving away from java based systems. I was happy to go with a lump sum of around 8 months take home pay in my back pocket after holiday pay, payment in lieu of notice etc. Just went with the flow. Took a few months off started looking for a new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The only way I could get fired is if I fire myself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have let go/sacked/"fired" easily a few hundred people in the last 20 or so years and the reactions are always different from the employees.

Some reasons for letting people go, drug taking, sleeping (night work) being drunk, hitting another member over the head with the handle of a pallet truck (extremely difficult to do, had to watch CCTV several times to figure out how he did it), fighting, being terrible at the menial job we did/do, stealing lunches, absenteeism.

Some reactions, crying, violence, threats of a high court injunction (lad worked one day a week, brought a solicitor to his final meeting), blame others/snitching on others on things we wouldnt have known about.

Would say 90% expect it and just accept its happening, of the hundreds I have been involved in with a wide range of races/culture only a very small amount went the full distance with 3 warnings and a dismissal....like maybe 5. The majority were during fixed term contracts or probation or agency workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Jesus, I better stop stealing my colleagues lunches. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

No.

So how'd the bet turn out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jesus, I better stop stealing my colleagues lunches. :)

hahahah

The lad worked evenings and a night shift lad would come in and put his tbh cracking looking dinner in the fridge and start his shift, the evening shift lad would finish his go into the canteen and eat your mans dinner.

Night shift dudes wife was a chef somewhere and the dinners looked savage, evening shift **** would eat it then go home.

The sacking went on way longer than it should have tbh, he refused to even acknowledge it was wrong/stealing. Civil servant now afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I got fired from Dunnes stores after a day. The worst thing about it was I had worked for them before (and didn't get fired).

I haven't shopped in that Dunnes since then lol. Ugh stupid Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

First time I was fired I thought it was a bit unfair. He asked me would I stay until the end of the week and I threw my toys out of the pram and said no I'm leaving right now. The next job I went for it was his brother interviewing me. Lesson learned.

The second time I was let go the place was closing so nothing I could do with that one. Just smiled, took the cheque and left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

With Petrol and other Incendiary Devices .

• Advertisement
Advertisement