Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning for Leinster, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Connacht

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Poor old Cavan and Monaghan missing from thread title.

There is no weather in Cavan or Monaghan tomorrow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Temperature and dew point dropping, it's also giving a snow advisory but......
    150masl s Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A Mod might stick a yellow warning on this :)

Might need to update the thread title too, thanks.

Hang on, weren't you a Mod too? I hadn't noticed that you had stepped down. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Is the Harmonie model that Met Eireann use the same one thats on meteociel?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/harmonie.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=523

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

So cold here in mohill 3c, hopefully we get a decent snowfall

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

littlema wrote: »
    Temperature and dew point dropping, it's also giving a snow advisory but......
    150masl s Sligo

You need the wet bulb to be <0.5c for snow. Yours is about 1.8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Lower parts of Dublin will probably get an hour or two snowfall before reverting to rain in a moderate southeasterly breeze but lasting as snow a good bit longer more inland...

nmm_uk1-42-22-0.png?30-16

• Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Long time lurker first time poster, love the snow! Based in Rathcoole, Co.Dublin, 148mts above sea level, can I expect anything decent tomorrow? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

T2Pauly wrote: »
    Long time lurker first time poster, love the snow! Based in Rathcoole, Co.Dublin, 148mts above sea level, can I expect anything decent tomorrow? TIA

Quite likely I would say. Early on in the day anyway.

Don't expect it to be powder for skiing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin Airport TAF has rain turning to Sleet lasting from 11am to 2pm

BECMG 3109/3111 -RA BKN012 TEMPO 3111/3114 4000 -RASN BKN007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 T2Pauly

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quite likely I would say. Early on in the day anyway.

Don't expect it to be powder for skiing though!

Haha Ok fair enough that will do while we await the beast next week ❄️ ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Snow two weekends in a row hopefully. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Look at the progs tonight, the word SLEET comes to mind.

We could have a good bit of wet snow falling but probably not too much lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann posted the various models for where snow might happen, it showed a flaw in the county warning system as north Kilkenny was in most of them for snow. But is not in the warning they issued, probably due to most of the county being unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

That was a rough day in Meath.
    When it calmed down at dusk got out with the kids for our walk a walk. It was great.

What time is precip kicking off tomorrow folks if one was to get a run in, in advance of conditions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Look at the progs tonight, the word SLEET comes to mind.

We could have a good bit of wet snow falling but probably not too much lying.

We won't be getting away with the onshore southeasterly in these parts very long anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Polar Low

konman wrote: »
    Is the Harmonie model that Met Eireann use the same one thats on meteociel?

It's the same underlying weather model (HARMONIE-AROME cycle 40) but run on a different domain, and with some different tweaks. The model on meteociel is run by the Dutch met service (KNMI).

Met Éireann's model covers a domain extending much further west into the Atlantic, and it's tuned specifically for Ireland. Unfortunately the model data are not available online, although the output of the control member generates the forecast maps on Met Éireann's website. You can see a map of the domain and some details about the model on their website too under Science > Operational NWP (sorry, can't post a link!)

For a guide for precipitation type, from the statistics on your weather station.

You need wet bulb temp <0.5c.

My current temp is 2.4c with a dew point of -1.2c which produces a wet bulb of 0.4c.

j0Wwlkc.jpg

With this calculator, that provides a snow risk of 50%. (But it would probably still snow because the freezing level is low and there is lots of room for evaporative cooling).

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowProbCalc?calc=yes

If we raise the humidity to 80%, the dew point is -0.6c and the wet bulb temperature is 0.6c. Snow risk is 30%.

So you need to look at more than the dew point being negative, especially the higher the temperature is.

(The reason why the wet bulb temp is so important is because that is the temperature of the air immediately surrounding the snowflake as it falls to the surface at your elevation)

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    For a guide for precipitation type, from the statistics on your weather station.

You need wet bulb temp <0.5c.

My current temp is 2.4c with a dew point of -1.2c which produces a wet bulb of 0.4c.

j0Wwlkc.jpg

With this calculator, that provides a snow risk of 50%. (But it would probably still snow because the freezing level is low and there is lots of room for evaporative cooling).

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowProbCalc?calc=yes

If we raise the humidity to 80%, the dew point is -0.6c and the wet bulb temperature is 0.6c. Snow risk is 30%.

So you need to look at more than the dew point being negative, especially the higher the temperature is.

(The reason why the wet bulb temp is so important is because that is the temperature of the air immediately surrounding the snowflake as it falls to the surface at your elevation)

Just a word to add to this,we had sleet here the other evening despite negative wet bulb,negative dewpoint and an air temp of just above zero
    Layers of milder air can pocket aloft making snow a dark art in marginal circumstances
    I've seen this too often
    Its doubtful I'll be seeing any down here this time
    Marine layer
    Too close to the sea

In this scenario I am referring to an atmosphere that is cooled to 0c down to 300-500 metres from the surface.

You can use soundings to see if your area will have a mild layer above the freezing level. Or you can check the temperature of weather stations above your elevation to see if they are colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The ECMWF Giving us a repeat for this time next week again lol

In this scenario I am referring to an atmosphere that is cooled to 0c down to 300-500 metres from the surface.

You can use soundings to see if your area will have a mild layer above the freezing level. Or you can check the temperature of weather stations above your elevation to see if they are colder.

I'm only stating that the temp from the Wetbulb thermometer in your weather station is taken at 4 to 6 feet,it doesn't necessarily follow that it's readings will mean snow or indeed won't mean snow

The ECMWF Giving us a repeat for this time next week again lol

I am not keen on these systems. They’re usually a sign of warmer air flowing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A very tame tv forecast there after the six one, not much word of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    A very tame tv forecast there after the six one, not much word of snow

Was it Gerry giving the forecast:p?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not keen on these systems. They’re usually a sign of warmer air flowing in.

I would take if it leads to a significant snow event. It's all very well chasing prolonged deep cold spells in fi, but as has been mentioned it is often in marginals situations we get very good snowfalls.

I would take if it leads to a significant snow event. It's all very well chasing prolonged deep cold spells in fi, but as has been mentioned it is often in marginals situations we get very good snowfalls.

I don’t want a significant snowfall event that is replaced by mild rain immediately after or a day or two later.

I am quite content with a dry and crisp spell of weather. The snow will come in the form of showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hang on, weren't you a Mod too? I hadn't noticed that you had stepped down. :confused:

About 11 months ago, I was wondering because I never got a card from you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

An ad for snow shovels on this thread

The machine knows something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

very little snow and suppose to turn to rain in the afternoon tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement