Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Cooking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Found it!

This is quoted from a Glowbalgroup website of which that restaurant must have been part.

At the time we were told that the sprouts were fried in butter, but the recipe says deep fried. I'd forgotten the capers but they add an extra lemony-ness.
    Truly, memorably good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What You Will Need:
    1 lbs Brussels Sprouts
    1 1/2 tbsp Capers, drained
    1 oz Lemon Juice /and a little finely grated rind
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
    Salt to Taste

Method:
    Bring up the temperature on your deep fryer to 375 degrees. Wash sprouts and remove any dead or browning leaves. Quarter large sprouts and halve smaller sprouts. Ensure the Brussels Sprouts are completely dry before putting them into the deep fryer.

Place Brussels Sprouts into deep fryer and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Remove the sprouts from the deep fryer and shake to remove all excess oil. Place into a small bowl, adding capers, lemon juice, grated Parmesan, chilli flakes and salt. Toss together, plate and serve immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am SO going to do this for Christmas! (minus the deepfryer which I don't have. Butter in a hot pan will do nicely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I quite often have cut sprouts into slices & fried on a pan, add some red onion, white wine, garlic & some chilli and they're fantastic. Still have a crunch but soft enough to not have to chew hard.

Theres loads of ways to cook them TBH, & I must admit I simply like them boiled too, not too soft with a little bit of bite & some spicy italian herbs thrown over them, simple & tasty....lovely.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Found it!

This is quoted from a Glowbalgroup website of which that restaurant must have been part.

At the time we were told that the sprouts were fried in butter, but the recipe says deep fried. I'd forgotten the capers but they add an extra lemony-ness.
    Truly, memorably good.

Thanks !!! I love capers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sorry for another question on Christmas cakes!

I've decided to make a 2nd cake, half the size, as I have all the ingredients left over from the bigger one. The first one was in a 24cm tin, this one will be in a 17cm tin (I've worked out the volumes and half the batter will fit this size perfectly).

I presume I can just half all of the ingredients and it should come out the same?

And my 2nd question is how to judge how long to bake it for, for the 1st cake it said to leave it alone for 3.5 hours and then check it and keep checking it for anything up to 4.5 hours. Mine was done already when I checked it at 3.5 hours. For this reduced size I've no idea how long to leave it for, before starting to check it regularly, maybe 2 hours?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

mystic86 wrote: »

I've decided to make a 2nd cake, half the size, as I have all the ingredients left over from the bigger one. The first one was in a 24cm tin, this one will be in a 17cm tin (I've worked out the volumes and half the batter will fit this size perfectly).

I presume I can just half all of the ingredients and it should come out the same?

And my 2nd question is how to judge how long to bake it for, for the 1st cake it said to leave it alone for 3.5 hours and then check it and keep checking it for anything up to 4.5 hours. Mine was done already when I checked it at 3.5 hours. For this reduced size I've no idea how long to leave it for, before starting to check it regularly, maybe 2 hours?

Thanks!

Yes you can do the smaller amount of dough in a smaller tin and it will be fine.
    However, be aware that this smaller volume will burn quite easily:
    So tie a strip of paper around the tin (insulation), bake in low oven, check after an hour and frequently after that, and put a lid on top if it is browning too much before fully cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks!

I did this with my recipe. By increasing by 1.5 I have enough batter for two small 6" cakes but it's a shorter cooking time. I don't really time it now but have it well padded on the sides with brown paper and on a low heat. From memory I think about the 2 hr mark I start to check every 20 -30 mins.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Found it!

Truly, memorably good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What You Will Need:
    1 lbs Brussels Sprouts
    1 1/2 tbsp Capers, drained
    1 oz Lemon Juice /and a little finely grated rind
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
    Salt to Taste

Method:
    Bring up the temperature on your deep fryer to 375 degrees. Wash sprouts and remove any dead or browning leaves. Quarter large sprouts and halve smaller sprouts. Ensure the Brussels Sprouts are completely dry before putting them into the deep fryer.

Place Brussels Sprouts into deep fryer and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown. Remove the sprouts from the deep fryer and shake to remove all excess oil. Place into a small bowl, adding capers, lemon juice, grated Parmesan, chilli flakes and salt. Toss together, plate and serve immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am SO going to do this for Christmas! (minus the deepfryer which I don't have. Butter in a hot pan will do nicely)

So I did these last night. Oh Jesus.
    The flavours were fab. The lemon and the capers came out quite strongly so what I'd say is if your aim is to disguise the sprout taste, keep the quantities there. For people who like sprouts, I'd start with half the lemon & capers amount and adjust upwards to taste.

I pan-fried them in kerrygold, until they were well browned.

I probably won't do them that way for the main event simply because my carrot recipe has lemon juice so the sides will be too samey. But on general dinner days, it's become my favourite sprout method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Neyite wrote: »
    I did this with my recipe. By increasing by 1.5 I have enough batter for two small 6" cakes but it's a shorter cooking time. I don't really time it now but have it well padded on the sides with brown paper and on a low heat. From memory I think about the 2 hr mark I start to check every 20 -30 mins.

Thanks - a lower heat than I would use for the larger size one? (which was 140 c fan)

Thanks - a lower heat than I would use for the larger size one? (which was 140 c fan)
    Sorry, I meant I used the same low heat specified in the original recipe - I think 130 or thereabouts, but it cooked quicker so you need to keep it monitored more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Yesterday I cooked again frozen sprouts and bacon for dinner.
    Will buy another bag of frozen soon - and try with capers - as I am getting hooked !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I watched Mary Berry make this on TV the other night. My God it looked amazing.
    Going to give it a try in the next week or so.
    We don't generally go for traditional Christmas Pudding in mine but this has the look of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_steamed_50954

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have 6 adults for dinner this year and 1 is a veggie. Hit me with you best main recipe for a veggie please

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Jude13 wrote: »
    We have 6 adults for dinner this year and 1 is a veggie. Hit me with you best main recipe for a veggie please

You could make them aubergine parmigiana. Not traditional but so good and can be made in advance. There are lots of ways to make it but if I was making it for just one person I'd go all out with a small dish of pure luxury!

Slice aubergine. Dip in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Fry until crisp and golden. Drain. Lay in an oven proof dish. Make a tomato sauce - onion, garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, dash red wine, herbs of your choice. Simmer till thick, and taste test. Spread over the aubergines. Top with loads of mozzarella and parmesan. Bake until golden and gooey. Serve along with the roasties and veg for an amazing dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I am going to try to make my own Mincemeat for Mince Pies. Never made it before. Have Delia's Recipe.
    But any tips or advice appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Guill wrote: »
    I watched Mary Berry make this on TV the other night. My God it looked amazing.
    Going to give it a try in the next week or so.
    We don't generally go for traditional Christmas Pudding in mine but this has the look of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_steamed_50954

Made this last night. It was fantastic and easy to make. I will make the chocolate sauce less dark next time but went down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

You could make them aubergine parmigiana. Not traditional but so good and can be made in advance. There are lots of ways to make it but if I was making it for just one person I'd go all out with a small dish of pure luxury!

Slice aubergine. Dip in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Fry until crisp and golden. Drain. Lay in an oven proof dish. Make a tomato sauce - onion, garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, dash red wine, herbs of your choice. Simmer till thick, and taste test. Spread over the aubergines. Top with loads of mozzarella and parmesan. Bake until golden and gooey. Serve along with the roasties and veg for an amazing dinner.

I'm not a vegetarian but aubergine parmigiana is one of my favourite dishes, with the cheese, breadcrumbs, egg and flour you've hot plenty of protein, all I need with it is some salad and a nice glass of red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

What about a Portobello Wellington? ...maybe with a dijon sauce ?
    Oven roasted crunchy Asparagus was easy, a fave (and a rare treat), when I ate vegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Guys, how long should you leave your turkey to rest? All going well we will have a boned and rolled turkey. I was watching a clip from Gordon Ramsey last night and in it he said to rest the bird for as long as you cooked it. He was working with a full bird, is it the same advice for a boned and rolled? And if so, what's the best way to reheat the meat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

scarepanda wrote: »
    Guys, how long should you leave your turkey to rest? All going well we will have a boned and rolled turkey. I was watching a clip from Gordon Ramsey last night and in it he said to rest the bird for as long as you cooked it. He was working with a full bird, is it the same advice for a boned and rolled? And if so, what's the best way to reheat the meat?

You can leave your bird to rest for up to two hours while you cook everything else, and it will still be hot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

As Mystery Egg said it should be still hot after resting I always use hot plates for dinner too
    I think Gordon Ramsey or Kevin Dundon said once you have hot plates and hot gravy no problem with the Christmas Turkey after resting it :)

• Advertisement

Interesting! Will a boned and rolled turkey retain the heat in the same way? SarahLil, thats exactly what he said in the video regarding the gravy!

Interesting! Will a boned and rolled turkey retain the heat in the same way? SarahLil, thats exactly what he said in the video regarding the gravy!

:) I would put the shiny side of tin foil facing into the turkey while it is resting and I put clean teatowels over it, maybe 2 or three of them keep it well covered and not near a window either

I do it most weeks with my Chicken, Beef or Lamb I always let it rest

Deja Boo wrote: »
    What about a Portobello Wellington? ...maybe with a dijon sauce ?
    Oven roasted crunchy Asparagus was easy, a fave (and a rare treat), when I ate vegan.

Porobello wellington looks like a great shout. Thank you.

I had planned on covering it with tinfoil and tea towels. We don't do roasts, and this is my first time doing a Christmas dinner, so lots to learn! We did a trial a few weeks ago and it went well. Planning on doing another this weekend again.

Is a hot plate something that's worth looking at getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

Because I usually travel and take the Christmas dinner to another house for serving my turkey gets well rested! I usually have it cooked for 12ish, I wrap tinfoil around it, layer on old bath towels that I keep for this regular transportation of dinners and pop it tray and all into a towel lined cardboard box, it's wrapped up snug as a bug in a rug.

Dinner is usually around 2.30 and the turkey is still roasting hot at that stage when unwrapped. I'd give a boned and rolled a good hour or so to rest, I think that's enough for most turkey but it suits me to leave it longer, insulate it well with something and it won't go cold at all.

You must serve dinner on hot plates, any dinner goes cold fast if plates are not preheated, especially one that might take a little longer to plate out with all the variety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The best bit of kitchen equipment you can invest in is a meat thermometer! It stops you overcooking everything as we tend to do in Ireland. A lot of modern ovens retain and recycle heat much better than older ones meaning things cook faster so if you're looking at an old Delia book that says 20 mins per pound plus whatever, it's likely too long. The last time I cooked a full turkey, the thickest parts of the bird were fully up to temperature an hour earlier than I would have taken it out using the old fashioned timings.
    I use the thermometer for everything, steaks, burgers, sausage etc.

I had planned on covering it with tinfoil and tea towels. We don't do roasts, and this is my first time doing a Christmas dinner, so lots to learn! We did a trial a few weeks ago and it went well. Planning on doing another this weekend again.

Is a hot plate something that's worth looking at getting?

You will do great x
    Write out your timings of your turkey
    Set aside time before Christmas morning and write out your weight and timings
    I did my first Christmas dinner in 2016 and I wrote it down in advance I still have the little notebook on the go it so handy and I still write my timings down for each year since
    Preheat your oven
    let the Turkey rest out of the fridge before putting into hot oven

I got a hotplate last year I think Lidl and Aldi did them last year for 25 to 35 euro I will post if I see them in the catalogue
    We had 7 for dinner it was handy but we will only have 3 this year so I wont be using it
    I wouldn't put the roast potatoes in the hot plate maybe keep them in a Pyrex dish for a couple of minutes the extra roasties I had lost some of the crispiness in the hot plate

Bassfish wrote: »
    The best bit of kitchen equipment you can invest in is a meat thermometer! It stops you overcooking everything as we tend to do in Ireland. A lot of modern ovens retain and recycle heat much better than older ones meaning things cook faster so if you're looking at an old Delia book that says 20 mins per pound plus whatever, it's likely too long. The last time I cooked a full turkey, the thickest parts of the bird were fully up to temperature an hour earlier than I would have taken it out using the old fashioned timings.
    I use the thermometer for everything, steaks, burgers, sausage etc.

Going to pick up meat thermometer this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Any tips on where the best place to get a boned and rolled turkey would be? Butcher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Any tips on where the best place to get a boned and rolled turkey would be? Butcher?

Pretty much. I'm sure most/all big supermarkets will do them as well. We have got our from a local butchers for as long as I can remember.

We do a lot of BBQing during the summer - normally- so we have a meat thermometer for a long while and they are brilliant. We use it quite a bit especially for air fryer roasted chicken (closest we go to a roast) or for things that might be new to cook etc.

The regular BBQs we do is one reason why i would consider a hot plate, we'd often have 20 people for a BBQ, which makes it near impossible to get everything cooked and served at the same time. So a hot plate, if they are any good would be used throughout the year.

SarahLil, I think it might have been you that mentioned a Christmas cooking diary on here before! I started one with the last trial with what we cooked and notes of what I would do differently. We're keeping things simple and traditional this year, but will keep the diary going and try things out throughout the year for inspiration going forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I keep a google document for Christmas Day cooking as I’ve only been doing it since my 5 year old was born (and I didn’t do the first Christmas). I update it each year highly recommend doing this

I cook for six adults and my own two little ones so I used the hot plate from Lidl too and it was super handy. I keep the roasties in the air fryer though because they definitely lose crispiness. Won’t need the hot plate this year as my oven exploded on Christmas Day last year (cue a mad bailout to my mother in laws). We cut out the inset own and now have a proper cooker with top oven/grill and full sized oven and also likely won’t have all six adults due to covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any links or tips for a good, bit not hugely expensive meat thermometer.
    I got one from Amazon a while back that just doesn't seem to be worth a feck.

And generally do people go for the ones you put in the oven, or p you have to take stuff out to check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We're ordering our turkey this week. I think boned and rolled is probably the best option for two people, right? First time doing Christmas at home so I'm very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

DavyD_83 wrote: »

And generally do people go for the ones you put in the oven, or p you have to take stuff out to check?

I was looking at the one from IKEA this morning that looked good. Only 8 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DavyD_83 wrote: »

We have two. A cheap and cheerful Ikea one that beeps when the meat reaches the right internal temp and an Inkbird that connects to my phone (but not my husband's phone for some reason) via bluetooth. Both are reliable and if you'll be in the kitchen anyway, one that beeps will be fine. If you're likely to be elsewhere in the house, I'd go for one you can monitor remotely. We use the Inkbird for long cooks on the BBQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

We got a thermometer last week on amazon for under a tenner. Used it on a chicken and it was great, temp in about 5 seconds. Our old one used to take up to a minute.

We always roast the turkey early then seal with double foil and a big multi layer folded towel. Piping hot when we eat it a few hours later. It's the best thing ever cos it frees up the oven for all the yummy sides. We boil the ham the night before so it needs less than a half hour in the oven, glazed, the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I was looking at the one from IKEA this morning that looked good. Only 8 euro.

Thanks for the replies!
    That IKEA one you both provided looks like the job for me alright. Didn't realise there was an option of wired with probe in oven and display outside. Cost goes up considerably when you get into wireless/Bluetooth. I won't be using it either to justify that, and wife Def wouldn't think cost was justified anyway ��

If I ever get to ikea again I'll definitely pick one up. Going to get out for some glögg( non-alcoholic mulled wine, you can add a shot of whatever you fancy if wanted) before Christmas too.

Amazon has just turned up some affordable fanciness, I'm tempted...
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0828Q2VP5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_0LuQFbJJ341DT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I use the ikea one, had it years and it's perfect. No need to spend big money on one at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,830 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas puddings mixed!(They generally taste better than they look)
    Fruit and nuts.
    123739837_2793843334271603_6730058783923172382_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=_542Uc2ZJcIAX8xqedx&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ba1772dd65bca236e9bb4c8352426d24&oe=5FCE5FDF
    Dry ingredients.(Breadcrumbs, spices, flour, etc)
    123861258_2793843920938211_1320504484704779719_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=JSQgqBjR6ZcAX_cmhUA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=40a8fc883aeb3b1bdeb313655334ac42&oe=5FD0ACB2
    Wet ingredient.(Whiskey, Guinness, eggs)
    123718135_2793835584272378_7366170355531815439_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ov0wEA-X02sAX8bGaph&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3bf1bf90ae20bb9e7d66351558231e03&oe=5FD0C6A5
    Everything together(It weighs a Good bit)
    123914871_2793844100938193_825462028963949036_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AqavzQQwH1UAX8HZmNz&_nc_oc=AQnXl4Ke1h0vFGu3vZTwKsoNnSHfrkeLOfyWV4l-qtUZKul1-zW8Hmf1aQiVFNcc7_A&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=9ed89181540d972efb1f06e88707bb23&oe=5FCD909F

• Advertisement

I may have to hand in my man card but we discussed last night that we might order in a cooked turkey. The restaurants here provide them. We joked amongst friends that a real man cooks his own turkey. I will have to ask them did they chop their own tree. I'm torn. I don't think I will enjoy a bought in one as much but I also don't want to be cooking all day or messing it up.

I know no men who cook their own turkey. :eek:

I clearly hang out with the wrong crowd!

I have done so each Christmas at my place, my dad does the same at home. I just want to 1) spend more time with the little elf 2) not screw it up as we have guests. 3) not have a million things to do, ham, pudding, and a turkey, and sides.

Well done Jude and JudeDad! I think I've made a turkey on my own, maybe once. Wouldn't even know where to begin.

Given everything on your plate, ordering out seems the sensible thing. Make whatever you can, easier on yourself. Little elves grow up so fast, spending time is most important.

Plus I just got the order form from the butchers, they are pricey birds. I think I will do a dry run for thanksgiving, not a yank but just to see if I can still do a turkey. I used to do it on the BBQ but the OH says the smokiness is not Christmassy. I will keep you guys posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Well myself and Jude 13 are two you know now :D

I do all the cooking Christmas Day, happy as a pig tipping round the kitchen all day making it with a glass of wine to hand.
    The only thing I make the family help with is peel the mountain of spuds the night before.
    As Jude already said though I get very anxious that the Turkey turns out well, have tried every method going. Over cooked it one year and I sulked for about an hour :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I go to my sister's house for Christmas Dinner and her husband does the turkey and Ham and in fairness each year it gets better and better, he's like Mick from Gavin & Stacey going on about the lamb he's cooking.

He loves cooking it and watches loads of cooking shows like Jamie Oliver,etc to get ideas.

To quote Smithy... His Ham is a triumph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I did the turkey for the first time last year. Was closely supervised however since i physically put in and took it out of the oven I class it as having cooked it :)

Well done Men on the turkeys

We do the turkey together but the OH is very capable, makes a gorgeous turkey gravy Kevin Dundon recipe

My OH can cook a roast really well he would happily potter in the kitchen with wine in hand and the sports on, his mash potato is better than mine and really good roasties too

Jude I agree with Deja Boo the little ones aren't little for long so if you need to order a cooked one so be it

I may have to hand in my man card but we discussed last night that we might order in a cooked turkey. The restaurants here provide them. We joked amongst friends that a real man cooks his own turkey. I will have to ask them did they chop their own tree. I'm torn. I don't think I will enjoy a bought in one as much but I also don't want to be cooking all day or messing it up.

The first rule of fight club shop-bought is that you don't talk about shop-bought :D Just dish it up and bask in the compliments!

I do venison steaks on the day itself for the same reasons as you. My dinner courses were picked to minimise the workload on the day so I can hang out with everyone. I still happily potter away with a prosecco in the kitchen but I don't feel like I'm under pressure. I do a turkey crown and a ham on Christmas eve for dinner so there's still ingredients for for sandwiches (or if anyone wants T&H on the day but there's no pressure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement