Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Christmas Cooking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My dad does a lot of the cooking in their house including the turkey. My brother in law does the entire Christmas dinner and I’d imagine that we’ll split the cooking between myself and my husband for Christmas this year like we do all year round. Some people are just bad at cooking (men or women) so they should stay away from important meals but otherwise I can’t think of many people I know who don’t get involved in the cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Also, I believe with all my heart that everything you so (within reason!) should make you happy and be easy. Buying in a cooked turkey to spend more time with the fam is a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My dad does a lot of the cooking in their house including the turkey. My brother in law does the entire Christmas dinner and I’d imagine that we’ll split the cooking between myself and my husband for Christmas this year like we do all year round. Some people are just bad at cooking (men or women) so they should stay away from important meals but otherwise I can’t think of many people I know who don’t get involved in the cooking.

My husband doesn’t really cook. However he will help just needs direction.

Actually does anyone else have the Christmas Eve prep time? We all sit at the table, with all the veg and sit, drink coffee, chat and listen to Christmas music until the onions, carrots and spuds are peeled and chopped, the bread stuffing base made and the Brussels peeled. It makes it so much easier on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Neyite wrote: »
    Turkey is merely the vehicle for the trimmings to pile on and combine tantalisingly in a taste sensation.

I must get a batch bread loaf for the freezer for that Christmas sandwich....

Love it, I always pick them up in my local shop after I collect my turkey and ham Christmas Eve morning from my local Butcher
    We had Christmas ham toasties with fancy cheese last year cooked on the frying pan they were delicious

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Actually does anyone else have the Christmas Eve prep time? We all sit at the table, with all the veg and sit, drink coffee, chat and listen to Christmas music until the onions, carrots and spuds are peeled and chopped, the bread stuffing base made and the Brussels peeled. It makes it so much easier on the day

Kind of. Elf and his dad build the gingerbread at the table and I'm at the kitchen island doing the custard layer for the trifle or some other few jobs, slurping on a mulled wine. I do some stuff the day before and some the morning itself.

• Advertisement

Its nice isn't it mirrorwall14

Us too only a little earlier, I get to the butchers early Christmas Eve morning, maybe pick up a couple of bunches of flowers to go along with gifts, pop into my mams for a quick hello, then as soon as I get home its a sandwich, a cuppa with the OH with Christmas fm on, we will start the prep then, I think prep is key, my OH would say that :D

I have cooked Cabbage for a few years for my pal she collects it Christmas Eve, we cook our own too, himself will do the stuffing but he could tackle that in the evening

We usually collect my mam to come stay at lunchtime (we have to pack and unpack for her she wouldn't be able) so by 3 pm we like to be sitting down to watch a movie then later on its take away or finger food bits followed by nibbles and chocolates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭tscul32

Guill wrote: »
    What's his secret?

I'm not sure. He uses butter, milk, salt and white pepper. Must just be the quantities. He tastes as he goes and stops when it's "right". Then the only job is to get him to stop tasting, he does love his spuds. Also uses the hand mixer on them for extra creaminess.
    He's not a bad cook, has a good sense of taste and loves food. I plan on going to his house for christmas dinner when I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Also, I believe with all my heart that everything you so (within reason!) should make you happy and be easy. Buying in a cooked turkey to spend more time with the fam is a great idea.
    Absolutely !
    It is our lives after all, not Masterchef !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

tscul32 wrote: »
    I'm not sure. He uses butter, milk, salt and white pepper. Must just be the quantities. He tastes as he goes and stops when it's "right". Then the only job is to get him to stop tasting, he does love his spuds. Also uses the hand mixer on them for extra creaminess.
    He's not a bad cook, has a good sense of taste and loves food. I plan on going to his house for christmas dinner when I'm old.
    I Lol'd to the part in bold !
    He sounds like a great boy, congratulations !

Awh brilliant tscul32 I laughed at you.. "I am going to him for Christmas when I am old"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ok so we finally decided how we're going to spend the day, always tricky when from a really big family.

There will be four adults and four kids and I'm going to host drinks, canapes, starter and main and then we'll toddle to theirs for dessert and more drinks.

We'll be home by 8 with the small lad. Perfect. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Ok so we finally decided how we're going to spend the day, always tricky when from a really big family.

There will be four adults and four kids and I'm going to host drinks, canapes, starter and main and then we'll toddle to theirs for dessert and more drinks.

We'll be home by 8 with the small lad. Perfect. :)

Always good to have the big day organised well in advance, especially with little ones involved.

We will probably wait till after the 1st or whenever they announce the what restrictions are in place and take it for there.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Always good to have the big day organised well in advance, especially with little ones involved.

We will probably wait till after the 1st or whenever they announce the what restrictions are in place and take it for there.

Yeah, this is assuming we're allowed to do it and we are guessing gatherings of ten or less will be permitted. Pure speculation though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭pigtail33

For anyone who makes their own mince pies, what size tin do you use? I bought a Mince Pie tin on Amazon, but it is very shallow, you'd barely get a teaspoon of mince into each pie. I also have a standard cupcake/muffin tin, but that looks very deep :confused: I don't think there's anything in between.

I just use the shallow ones, patty tin/bun tin. The only ones that existed before ireland was introduced to muffins and cupcakes. Or I use mini muffin tins to make smaller but deeper ones.

You can also get individual foil cases that would be an in between size.

tscul32 wrote: »
    I just use the shallow ones, patty tin/bun tin. The only ones that existed before ireland was introduced to muffins and cupcakes. Or I use mini muffin tins to make smaller but deeper ones.

Thank you. I think my mother has one of those 'Fairy cake' tins, probably close to 40 years old though, so I'm not sure if it would be food safe anymore!! I do have mini muffin tins too, never thought of those.

I did see the foil cases in Mr Price once, but didn't buy them. Unfortunately there isn't a Mr Price in a 5k radius from where I live. They would be perfect. I'll have a look online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I use foil cases as well. I got them this year on Amazon, although somewhere like Mr price are definitely cheaper. Some of the big grocery stores have them at times as well.

As for the filling, in my experience of making them less is more, and that's coming from someone who loves their mince pies! Also, with the foil cases, I've often used them without any bun tin tray.

scarepanda wrote: »
    I use foil cases as well. I got them this year on Amazon, although somewhere like Mr price are definitely cheaper. Some of the big grocery stores have them at times as well.

As for the filling, in my experience of making them less is more, and that's coming from someone who loves their mince pies! Also, with the foil cases, I've often used them without any bun tin tray.

I am definitely guilty of overfilling them. Then the filling boils out, supergluing the pies to the tray. I made my own mincemeat this year, so hoping for better results!

I just spent the morning making pork and apple stuffing, and home made sausage rolls with caramelized red onion, for the freezer for the big day. I also made cranberry sauce and apple chutney. Chuffed to have all that done! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I just spent the morning making pork and apple stuffing, and home made sausage rolls with caramelized red onion, for the freezer for the big day. I also made cranberry sauce and apple chutney. Chuffed to have all that done! :pac:

ooooooh share the recipes please??!

ooooooh share the recipes please??!

Pork and apple stuffing

This is a very forgiving recipe and you can change the quantities of anything and it will still work.

750g of pork sausage meat
    2 crisp apples finely chopped
    2 onions finely chopped
    About 250g of breadcrumbs (I whizzed up some slightly stale bagel thins X 3 and a large heel from a loaf)
    2 teaspoons dried sage
    2 teaspoons mixed herbs

Mix together using your hands. Place in a freezer and oven proof dish, cover, and freeze.

To use, defrost the night before. The day of, uncover and dot with butter. Cook in a preheated oven at 180 for about 45 mins.

Home made sausage rolls

1 rectangular sheet ready rolled puff pastry
    2 heaped tablespoons approx red onion marmalade
    6 jumbo pork sausages, skins removed (or 12 normal sausages approx)
    1 egg, whisked
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Unroll your puff. Use your rolling pin to make the rectangle of pastry as long as you can without damaging it.

Cut the rectangle into three long strips.

Score each strip very lightly right down its centre lengthwise just to mark the middle point for yourself.

Using a teaspoon gently spread a thin layer of marmalade just to the right of the centre on each of the three strips. Don't go right to the edge of the pastry to avoid leaks.

Next, put down a finger width of sausage meat directly on top of the marmalade, all down the length of the pastry strips.

Carefully roll the sausage rolls into three very long sausages, tucking the seals underneath.

Cut each long roll into about 20 bite size sausage rolls.

To store, gently place on a baking tray, lightly cover with cling film and put in the freezer. Once frozen, remove from the tray and put into a ziplock freezer bag.

To cook, preheat oven to 180. Brush each sausage roll with whisked egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until risen and golden, about 12 minutes, but keep an eye as your oven may require slightly more or less time.

Cranberry sauce

I just winged it!

400g frozen cranberries
    150ml water
    200g light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ginger syrup (optional)
    1 tablespoon elderflower syrup (optional)

If I had had an orange, which I didn't, I would have added the zest and juice of it too.

Simmer together for 30 minutes, taking care not to burn. It will seem runny but it will set as it cools.

Allow to cool slightly and decant into sterilised jars. I got 2.5 jars out of this.

Last one, phew!

Apple chutney

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/classic-apple-chutney

I made this. I used white wine vinegar because that's what I had. I also added some mixed spice and cinnamon to it, a teaspoon of each. I used wholegrain mustard rather than mustard seeds.

It turned out beautifully. I got 9 jars out of this recipe. Soooo good with cheese. :pac:

/Fin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You're making me very hungry, Mystery Egg!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    You're making me very hungry, Mystery Egg!

I was literally just about to post the same thing. They all sound amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Those sausage rolls sound amazing! Do you make the onion marmalade, or is it something you can buy?

scarepanda wrote: »
    Those sausage rolls sound amazing! Do you make the onion marmalade, or is it something you can buy?

You can make it or buy it! In this case I bought it in Tesco. :)

• Advertisement

Must make sausage rolls this year. Getting hungry here, all sounds lovely.

Advertisement