Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

As someone who's 99% a gamer, Ryzen has lost its appeal completely for me. The new 5 CPU's are generally good judging by reviews, but still inferior to Intel - average frames are similar, but few reviews show minimum frames are lagging behind competing i5's despite the extra threads, even in games that make use of more cores.

I think a lot of us also hoped that the 1600X would give us i7 performance in games for a cheaper price with the core/thread count, but that hasn't happened either. It's not miles off in some cases when you look at average frames, but overall, and especially taking into account min. frames (these are critically important), it's quite a lot short of the 6700/7700K.

Now productivity is another kettle of fish and it obviously shines there, I'm just talking from a games POV.

Maybe it will keep evolving in time but for now I'll be leaving it.

For me im going back to college I'll need productivity grunt and gaming grunt. So I'm happy to stick with ryzen.

My one argument about AMD is they release good and get better over time I think we'll continue to see improvements over the next year. To bring the point of drivers and how ive found they've just gottin better and better over the last 2 years.

I cant help but think that this maybe the case with cpu's ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even if it's a bit behind on the benchmarks does it still present good value for money if someone wants a high spec build without breaking the bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think it's far too early to say how Ryzen will do on the long term. However I definitely think games will only get better seeing that right now a simple code mod bags 10's of fps and before you even understand the chip didn't exist 2 months ago.
    The amount of clawing back it's done in it's short time is huge and (hate being a broken record but..) with DirectX 12 finding it's feel it will only get better.

As i already stated, I'm putting my money down now for a 3 plus year bet and maybe it will pay off and Maybe it won't but f#$& intel for the state of play now and I'm voting with my wallet... Sure lol if we have to change back next year so be it.... And to be honest I think you'll only start to see the biggest change when games were made with it in mind so it's a few years before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wonder, are there still optimisation issues for gaming on Ryzen compared to the latest i7s?

I wonder, are there still optimisation issues for gaming on Ryzen compared to the latest i7s?

Id say thats a guarantee but I think the. Bench marks were pretty good for the money.

Adoreds vid is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

One encouraging sight is that memory speed makes a genuine difference, which indicates there's headroom in the processor, unlike Intel which has shown no difference at all in changing ram. Even in gaming benchmarks, there's still some to-ing and fro-ing depending on the engine being used, so there's still room for improvements in the future.

I'd probably go for the 1500x over the 1600x though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The 1600 makes the most sense to me. Best price/performance in the line up.

Buying the X variants is pointless. They all overclock to around the same levels.

No need to go crazy with the boards either. A B350 seems to be more than good enough. The choice in the B350 range is pretty dire atm though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Give it 2-3 months for stuff to settle down and more boards to come out or become available and Ryzen will look better than it does currently.

The i5 7600k makes 0 sense at this point for any system. You can get the 1600 for €10 more for a far superior cpu that comes with a far better stock cooler.

For a pure gaming system get a 7700k or a 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BloodBath wrote: »
    The i5 7600k makes 0 sense at this point for any system. You can get the 1600 for €10 more for a far superior cpu that comes with a far better stock cooler.

For a pure gaming system get a 7700k or a 1600.

Yeah, most newer games max out all threads on an i5, leaves very little head room for background applications.

If you are streaming of any kind and on a budget, the 1600 is a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have my eye on a 1600 but I'm not fully sure yet. I will give it a few weeks for more stability and things to settle a bit before I pull the trigger.

I have my eye on a 1600 but I'm not fully sure yet. I will give it a few weeks for more stability and things to settle a bit before I pull the trigger.

Yeah, I'd wait. If most chips cant hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and it performs well across the board I'd go for it. I'd stump for some decent ram though. G.Skill seem to use the best ram modules (samsung) that seem to overclock much better than other moldules (hynix). If you can hit 3000mhz you will see good perf gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In exactly the same boat here so will be watching the tech sites very closely.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd wait. If most chips cant hit 3.9/4.0 Ghz and it performs well across the board I'd go for it. I'd stump for some decent ram though. G.Skill seem to use the best ram modules (samsung) that seem to overclock much better than other moldules (hynix). If you can hit 3000mhz you will see good perf gains.

Checked amazon I have to preorder it, do you know of any where else I can get it from?

Checked amazon I have to preorder it, do you know of any where else I can get it from?

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composants/Memoire-PC/Memoire-DDR4/KFA2/4976653-Memoire-PC-HOF-DDR4-3600MHz-16Go-DDR4-CAS17.htm?xtor=AL-67-80[lien_profond]-120001[zanox]-[85386]

This is suppose to be good memory. I came across a post on another forum. But don't take my word on it. Also I doubt it will run at 3600MHz but then again maybe it would.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1623547/amd-ryzen-motherboard-thread/2650#post_26001314

This is the post where the guy recommends them but he bought them for alot cheaper.

OK a bit long but on the money.

RYZEN 5 REVIEW! 1500X + 1600X Gaming Benchmarks vs 7600K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvwWTQKCZs

god's toy wrote: »
    OK a bit long but on the money.

RYZEN 5 REVIEW! 1500X + 1600X Gaming Benchmarks vs 7600K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvwWTQKCZs

Thought the 1600x showed really good average fps, very impressed :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'm pretty sure my new build will be based on either the 1600 or 1600X. Hopefully we'll know more about Vega by the time I go to buy in May.

• Advertisement

Thought the 1600x showed really good average fps, very impressed :cool:

Yep I agree, It's the one I'm going for as I probably can leave it stock speed for the first while and OC later if needed.

Ryzen 5 breaking 6-Core records. OC to 5905 MHz !!! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0SxpGzbw0#t=6.912962

As the guy says in the above video. If the second generation of Ryzen CPU's overclock to higher frequency's on air and closed loop. Then they would be close to the record breaking frequency's on LN2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So our golden spot now is 1600/1600x?

Hopefully when vega comes out, I would love to build from ground up my new pure amd desktop.

Im so confused I need a pc for productivity, and gaming the 1700x seems so appealing but price to performance the 1600x seems like a great price to performance.

I can always upgrade at a latter date.

Im so confused I need a pc for productivity, and gaming the 1700x seems so appealing but price to performance the 1600x seems like a great price to performance.

I can always upgrade at a latter date.

Get a 1700. You can overclock it to 1800x levels on the stock cooler and it's not that much more expensive than the 1600x.

No that much difference really between the 1700, 1700x and 1800x. Base clocks are different, but the 1700x and 1800x don't really have much more overclocking headroom, they all start to falter after 4Ghz. Most 1700's can get to at least 3.9 Ghz and may be even better binned because of the low power requirements.

Get good RAM though, G.Skill use Samsung in their kits over 3000MHz so this means they are better overclockers.

• Advertisement

1600X is waiting in Parcel Motel right now :) If I wasn't so sleepy I'd drive the 40 mins there to pick up but suppose it's best left till tomorrow.

(Just happy I have the few days off now to build and play :) )
    :D

What board did you get?

What board did you get?

Asrock Taichi (x370) with 16GB gskill FlareX (cl14/3200)

Asrock Taichi (x370) with 16GB gskill FlareX (cl14/3200)

Nice, really tempted to get the cross hair, I got my boss to order it through his business so no vat, what made you go with that as there both pretty evenly matched in terms of price?

Just order my x62 kraken and my gskill flare x 3200 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

I always had in mind the 1600/x being the sweep spot. I've gone to the blue's again for my latest build as I really didn't want to wait for mitx AM4's, so will likely review the situation again in a year or two when the 2nd gen Ryzens are on the scene.

• Advertisement

Nice, really tempted to get the cross hair, I got my boss to order it through his business so no vat, what made you go with that as there both pretty evenly matched in terms of price?

Just order my x62 kraken and my gskill flare x 3200 :D

To be honest my main wish list was bluetooth and wifi as standard (not an aftermarket/3rd party add on) on a X370 chipset and the Taichi was the only one that wasn't mad money.
    The FlareX RAM was cos of the B.die sammy chips as they have a good track record but mainly cos it was already whitelisted by Asrock as being fully compatible. The good overclocking stuff that came out afterwards was just a happy coincidence on my part.

Gonna pick up the CPU to day, play one last quick blast of fallout 4 and get building!

To be honest my main wish list was bluetooth and wifi as standard (not an aftermarket/3rd party add on) on a X370 chipset and the Taichi was the only one that wasn't mad money.
    The FlareX RAM was cos of the B.die sammy chips as they have a good track record but mainly cos it was already whitelisted by Asrock as being fully compatible. The good overclocking stuff that came out afterwards was just a happy coincidence on my part.

Gonna pick up the CPU today, play one last quick blast of fallout 4 and get building!

Ah ok, I prefer wired connections It's a really more so I want to stick with a brand I know, that brand being Asus.
    I was thinking the cross hair but taking a closer Look at the prime now. Decisions.
    Ordered G skill flare x

How's the 1600X going? what cooler are you running?

Ah ok, I prefer wired connections It's a really more so I want to stick with a brand I know, that brand being Asus.
    I was thinking the cross hair but taking a closer Look at the prime now. Decisions.
    Ordered G skill flare x

How's the 1600X going? what cooler are you running?

Cool, you'll love that RAM! and that cooler you have too is very nice too. I'm using the cooler I had on the old PC 'arctic freezer 17' and so far so good.
    Yep use wired myself but wireless is handy to have when I have to move this pc around.

So Ryzen is installed and the RAM went in at 2400 but once the XMP profile is loaded it jumps right up to 3200 :)

Windows on the other hand was having a hissy fit with all the changes.,.. in the end I had to restore windows to the factory settings and re download tuns of stuff. That's where I am at now. have to install steam next!

I have a build sitting in my basket on Mindfactory. I done the same a few nights ago but chickened out in the end. The buy button is just staring out at me saying buy me, buy me!

Should I buy it that is the question and I know I am the only one who can answer that. Maybe I should maybe I shouldn't.

My god that Flare X RAM is expensive but it is designed specifically for Ryzen and guaranteed to be Samsung chips.

I have a build sitting in my basket on Mindfactory. I done the same a few nights ago but chickened out in the end. The buy button is just staring out at me saying buy me, buy me!

Should I buy it that is the question and I know I am the only one who can answer that. Maybe I should maybe I shouldn't.

My god that Flare X RAM is expensive but it is designed specifically for Ryzen and guaranteed to be Samsung chips.

Any of the high frequency G.Skill ram are Samsung. Don't pay the premium, it's just a rebrand of a less expensive kit with an ugly heatsink on it.

Cool, you'll love that RAM! and that cooler you have too is very nice too. I'm using the cooler I had on the old PC 'arctic freezer 17' and so far so good.
    Yep use wired myself but wireless is handy to have when I have to move this pc around.

So Ryzen is installed and the RAM went in at 2400 but once the XMP profile is loaded it jumps right up to 3200 :)

Windows on the other hand was having a hissy fit with all the changes.,.. in the end I had to restore windows to the factory settings and re download tuns of stuff. That's where I am at now. have to install steam next!

Yeah, I honestly was like ugh I need to build this computer for the possibility of going back to college, so bit the bullet. on the 3200 Ryzen built ram. The cooler was a moment of RGB love :pac: Did you have to update the UEFI

Wont have
    Interested to see how you get on over the next couple of days.

I know it blew my build budget, which was disappointing. But I think its worth it. I was thinking about trident Z ram 3200 but figured it might be better going with what's recommended.

Dude I say go for it :cool:

Yeah, I honestly was like ugh I need to build this computer for the possibility of going back to college, so bit the bullet. on the 3200 Ryzen built ram. The cooler was a moment of RGB love :pac: Did you have to update the UEFI
    :

Yep one update but it updates from the bios itself so no loading the OS to update. kinda cool now that I think of it.

Yep one update but it updates from the bios itself so no loading the OS to update. kinda cool now that I think of it.

so it automatically downloads bios updates?

so it automatically downloads bios updates?

Well I had to push the update button, but yep didn't have to configure anything or load windows to update, just updated itself.

OK for those wanting to know:

After leaving it on a 8hr 'soak test' all night (playing videos on YouTube) it was still happy next day at 32C. (Air cooler)
    OK on to the games: Its true what they say about minimum frame rates as while it doesn't jump up loads (EG Fallout 4 being just a pig of under optimization so no real improvement as such) I am seeing the pc having better minimums for sure and from my own utility monitor the cpu looks must less stressed in every game and program I chuck at it.

Temps while sitting idle are CPU:32c MB:27c VRM:32c (edit: room temp was 20c at time of test)
    Temps while under load (games) CPU:47c MB:35c VRM:37c (edit. room temp was 23c at time of games)

Well I had to push the update button, but yep didn't have to configure anything or load windows to update, just updated itself.

OK for those wanting to know:

After leaving it on a 8hr 'soak test' all night (playing videos on YouTube) it was still happy next day at 32C. (Air cooler)
    OK on to the games: Its true what they say about minimum frame rates as while it doesn't jump up loads (EG Fallout 4 being just a pig of under optimization so no real improvement as such) I am seeing the pc having better minimums for sure and from my own utility monitor the cpu looks must less stressed in every game and program I chuck at it.

Temps while sitting idle are CPU:32c MB:27c VRM:32c (edit: room temp was 20c at time of test)
    Temps while under load (games) CPU:47c MB:35c VRM:37c (edit. room temp was 23c at time of games)

How are you getting on with the Ryzen build so far? (I'm just curious as I am still on the fence about upgrading).

What resolution do you game at? I'm at 1440P, 144Hz.
    I do not like how the reviewers are mostly only showing 1080P gaming results.

• Advertisement

How are you getting on with the Ryzen build so far? (I'm just curious as I am still on the fence about upgrading).

What resolution do you game at? I'm at 1440P, 144Hz.
    I do not like how the reviewers are mostly only showing 1080P gaming results.

I found these vids on gaming :1440P, I hope they are some help to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_B4gI9Bf4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acg21uMgkzo

But to answer the question fully.

Sorry to have to say this but my CPU choice should have been a giveaway to the resolution I game at... it's 1080p / 60Hz with a 1060 (6GB) GPU on a 40" monitor (I like a bigger screen over a higher resolution) As long as I have 60 fps in my pocket I am happy.

In windows 10 day to day it's a hell of a lot snapper out of the gate no question, everything loads up like a bat out of hell.
    In gaming @ 1080p I have found it to be heaps more stable at holding the minimum 60 fps in games that will make use of the extra power over my last CPU (i5-5730)
    In my more modern games the intel was clearly stressing-out running at that same level. (My monitoring software has always shown the intel chip in the red around @ 80-90% load where the AMD 1600x is in the blue around 50-60% in some cases lower too)

In older stuff the AMD 1600x has a definite stress free life while the intel still was working harder to give me the same results, in short, there is a lot less stress on the CPU now and that's a good thing going forward for overclocking as I have extra head room left for the expansion of the GPU later on without necessarily needing a faster CPU to match.
    Even in games that are a few years old and don't necessarily use the extra cores/threads, the reaction times (some loading level times), AI and post process pop in's) are miles ahead of my i5

However, it's not necessarily blowing me away with extra added FPS everywhere but then I wasn't expecting it too and truth be known nor would a new i7! They are only adding extra headroom to my existing games set up right now while setting the stage for DirectX 12 to fully be implemented down the line enabling the new multi core gaming reality be enjoyed.

Right now everything feel more snappy and giving me peace of mind for at least the next 3 years I can pop a new CPU in (should I need too) without having to buy another new motherboard and RAM combo, all the time knowing to us new ryzen user are helping to kick the industry into gear and get some real competition back for us all.

----

In this post I have added two screenshots of my Steam games line up, if anyone wants to test any of those listed there please just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Do we know if they will be adding these new zen cpus in laptops? I heard for sure vega is coming out in mobile form too.

Yeah there's Ryzen/Vega Apu combos coming Q3 afaik for desktop and mobile.

Waiting for komplette to stock 1600x again looks like I may be waiting, mean while, I guess ill continue to redecorate the sitting room. Keep her happy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do we know if they will be adding these new zen cpus in laptops? I heard for sure vega is coming out in mobile form too.
    Yeah there's Ryzen/Vega Apu combos coming Q3 afaik for desktop and mobile.

In the meantime Naples will be the interesting bit.

Intel make their money in the DC, if Naples does well the bull will be well and truly in the china shop.

ED E wrote: »
    In the meantime Naples will be the interesting bit.

Intel make their money in the DC, if Naples does well the bull will be well and truly in the china shop.

Yup, the market is huge too, even regaining a decent foothold in the market would be a massive boost to AMD's bottom line, leading to more money for R&D budget which is a fraction of what Intel and Nvidia can spend.

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants over clockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus crosshair

Feeling really nervous about this.build as the price ive spent on it is insane for me it worked out. Feeling very nervous about this build.

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really usefull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants Overclockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus Crosshair

Feeling really nervous about this.build as the price ive spent on it is insane for me it worked out. Feeling very nervous about this build.

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really useful.
    If your streaming, AMD CPU's are a much better option, they perform better than Intel in this area and are much better value. I've an Intel 5820k and it seems to stutter every few seconds while streaming high quality even if the CPU is not maxed.
    Supposedly the AMD 8 cores don't have this issue.
    The Intel 8 core does not perform as well for streaming.

I just bought a 1700x I could get a 1600x and with the exchange rates being so pants over clockers was costing to much so bit the bullet. And order one.also ordered an Asus crosshair

How ever with my plan for streaming on twitch creative. I think long term it might be really usefull.

I'm still loving the huge speed bump I'm getting in everything the PC does now... Between Multithreading and Multitasking? Ha sooo much power now.

Best of luck with your build!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

For anyone waiting for the Ryzen 3 we will see it in early June according to the latest earnings call.
    Yes, so we are on track to launch the rest of the Ryzen portfolio in PCs. We'll launched Ryzen 3 sort of earlier in the second half, and then we will launch our Ryzen mobile towards the holiday cycle for the second half.

Source

Advertisement