Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting your pronoun on Linkedin

Options
  • 16-11-2019 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”. This just annoyed me, I think it’s a way for people to feel sanctimonious about how “woke” they are.

Do you think this is going to actually catch on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Rologyro wrote: »
    I saw this for the first time today on an Irish LinkedIn profile. Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”. This just annoyed me, I think it’s a way for people to feel sanctimonious about how “woke” they are.

It's become a requirement in a lot of American tech companies to have this in their email sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's become a requirement in a lot of American tech companies to have this in their email sig

That’s it. I just this minute finally lost the will to live. Byeeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ugh. I think some people in my company would be in favour of that, but fortunately they also object to "they/their" for the singular, which is putting a spanner in those works.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Rologyro

That’s it. I just this minute finally lost the will to live. Byeeee!

I feel the same, HOW, with everything that’s going on in the world, can people genuinely think this is something we should all collectively start adopting.

Inanimate objects have pronouns in other languages, what are people in those countries supposed to do, invent new words?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Good lord

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i hope it doesn't here. load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I feel the same, HOW, with everything that’s going on in the world, can people genuinely think this is something we should all collectively start adopting.

Right on, it should be made mandatory to have either an Israeli or Palestinian flag beside your username instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

bluewolf wrote: »
    i hope it doesn't here. load of ****

Typical Transphobic Shyte. The sooner companies make this and gender neutral toilets compulsory the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

high_king wrote: »
    Typical Transphobic Shyte. The sooner companies make this and gender neutral toilets compulsory the better.

Typical reality based reality. endacl. (He/his. As distinct from the only other one)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In an international world, there are plenty of reasons for it.

Remember when Edna became taoiseach, or so some American media thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I don't know why people get so annoyed about such a tiny gesture of solidarity with trans people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Antix80. He /him/his

There are only 2 genders.

Trans men are not biological men.

Trans women are not biological women.

Gender dysphoria is a mental illness.

Mental illness should not be treated with surgery.

All of these things are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Victor wrote: »

Remember when Edna became taoiseach, or so some American media thought.

That’s not why it’s happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That’s not why it’s happening.
    It's not a million miles from it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Victor wrote: »

Like what ?

I’m 23 years working in a large multinational dealing with people of all sorts and from every corner of the globe and we’ve never had a need for this.

To be fair that’s probably because 99.4% of people are the gender you‘d expect them to be so it’s only of potential benefit if you have a transsexual person working with you.

But even then, we’ve had 2 transsexuals working in my area over the Last 23 years and while there we’re some issues around toilets and dress code etc. the manner in which they were addressed was never a problem. They just told us.

This Looks to me like it’s just another step too far by the idiots trying to outdo each other with their virtue signalling.

Best left at it but I won’t be adding a pronoun to my signature, not now, not ever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Their name was down as “Jane Bloggs (she, her)”.
    Wait, was this person Trans? Because if not, sweet jeeebus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

This is getting ridiculous now and I wish someone with real power and influence would say it (rather than me...on boards...at 7am..)

There are only 2 genders and about 15 mental disorders!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

good way to know who not to hire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Do you know something, in my job I interact with colleagues in different countries all over the world on a daily basis, mostly by email. Some of them I don't know whether they're male or female by their names. And guess what - it genuinely doesn't matter, because the content and tone of my email is going to be the exact same regardless!

This is political correctness gone absolutely insane. If anything it's a step backwards for equality, because it implies that we might treat people differently depending on what gender they identify as. In a professional context, surely it shouldn't actually matter?

How do you edit your boards sig again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

My company is one of those "woke" ones, and all the LGBT people put "schlee/schlim" or whatever they put in their email sigs and wear badges.

It makes me sick to my stomach that this is what the world is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What? Seriously? Ok can I ask what tyupe of company in what industry etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Vicxas wrote: »
    My company is one of those "woke" ones, and all the LGBT people put "schlee/schlim" or whatever they put in their email sigs and wear badges.

It makes me sick to my stomach that this is what the world is.

Wear badges?? That has got to be untrue! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ugh. I think some people in my company would be in favour of that, but fortunately they also object to "they/their" for the singular, which is putting a spanner in those works.

I've never got this "they" business. "They" is plural. A person is singular. So surely if a person wants a gender neutral/non-specific pronoun he/she would use "it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I hate when people use LinkedIn like Facebook. If you are up at 1 am commenting on weight loss posts and complains about the health and safety in videos that other people put up you arnt doing your job prospects any favours.

You just look like a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

http://pronoun.is/all-pronouns

Handy guide for those that are curious

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

JCDUB wrote: »
    I've never got this "they" business. "They" is plural. A person is singular. So surely if a person wants a gender neutral/non-specific pronoun he/she would use "it?"

The boat sailed on that one years ago. I've been using, and people around me have been using 'they' for a person of indeterminate sex for the last 40 years.

"I was chatting to one of Maureen's friends yesterday"
    "And what did they say to you?"

So 'they' can be plural or singular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Like most of this bollox, it's probably started by some libtard creating problems rather than an actual trans person.

I work with a lot of Indians and for some of them I have no idea of their sex based on their names, but it makes zero differences, I'm never saying "she said" I would be using their name and if I was talking directly too them in the mail, again why would I be using "he/she".
    Assholes creating problems where none exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It’s not just happening on linked in. Twitter has a lot of professional groups on it and I’ve seen it multiple times on there. I don’t see the harm in it tbh. GalwayGrrrrrl she/her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Remember when we were told that what trans people do doesn't effect us, if they want to dress up as a woman then so what?

Now this 0.001% are having our language, science, sports and society changed. It has to be nipped in the bud immediately

Advertisement