Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

temporary clerical officer 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

ali1993 wrote: »
    did really well with my results, a lot better than I thought I would! But now I am a bit scared because it means I might be called for interview soon and I will have to make a decision(if im lucky!)

I'm currently 9 months into a permanent CO job but... I applied for this because I wanted to get a job closer to home, and also I don't really like where I am. Commute wise it's costing me a fortune and very time consuming. I'm also on a panel for the CO 2018 campaign to try get closer to home in the long run. I was thinking if i got a temporary co job to cover me until I got through on the CO 2018 campaign.

Am I mad leaving a permanent job for a temp job? It would make my life so much easier being closer to home.

Stick with the permanent, you can put in for a transfer. Tell them you need to be closer to home and you may get it sooner than the statutory waiting period which is I think, 2 years.
    If you take temp contract, once that contract is finished, you'll be unemployed again.
    So not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DundalkFan86

Louth results are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cailin06

I got a positive reply! :D Here's hoping those in front of me get other jobs quickly, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DundalkFan86

Hi does anyone know how to apply for holiday pay if you already worked for civil service on temporary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

emalou wrote: »
    When you are placed how long is it for?

If anyone who has been appointed wouldn't mind sharing the length of time they held their position for I would be very grateful.

First time I got a 10 week contract that kept being renewed until we were there for 8 months.
    2nd time I got a 2 year contract.

It can be any amount.
    Yep that’s how it goes, then in the interview you will need to score a certain amount to pass, you have to show that you are experienced in the desired competencies, and if u do you will be ranked based on your performance and get a new number.

Not for TCO - interview is a LOT simpler than for other grades. The interview consists of you handing them the required paperwork and documents that they request, 5 mins in and out. You get the impression that they just want to ensure you actually exist.
    Your placing does not change because of the interview.
    In saying that, things may have changed - I did my last TCO interview in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yep that’s how it goes, then in the interview you will need to score a certain amount to pass, you have to show that you are experienced in the desired competencies, and if u do you will be ranked based on your performance and get a new number.

It’s ok!
    That's great thanks! Just one last q (for now!) , say you get rank 50 as an example prior to interview? Could there be 5 or 10 people per place? So could actually be 250 to 500 people in front of you ?

Doctor14 wrote: »
    First time I got a 10 week contract that kept being renewed until we were there for 8 months.
    2nd time I got a 2 year contract.

It can be any amount.

Not for TCO - interview is a LOT simpler than for other grades. The interview consists of you handing them the required paperwork and documents that they request, 5 mins in and out. You get the impression that they just want to ensure you actually exist.
    Your placing does not change because of the interview.
    In saying that, things may have changed - I did my last TCO interview in 2016.

I think someone was saying they have changed it so that it's competency based?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Disappointed with my result, it's much better than last year where I didn't get offered anything but I was hoping to get about 20 places higher. I guess I'm just not good at these tests I've done loads of them for different comps and just don't score well. I reckon I will be offered something this time going from last years figures, but it could be summer time or later, which isn't much use to me at the moment. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nrko

anybody have an idea if the rankings are split by availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lauramarie13

wynnings wrote: »
    my friends both got their results for sligo, but i still haven't heard anything personally

Thanks! I heard too, hopefully you’ll hear soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Nuala1983

Can someone explain what exactly the order of merit means (e.g 24)from public jobs I applied for temporary clerical officer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Nuala1983 wrote: »
    Can someone explain what exactly the order of merit means (e.g 24)from public jobs I applied for temporary clerical officer
    That is your position based on your results from questionaire and it determines which people will go if interested to the next phase of the recruitment process

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sabby78

emalou wrote: »
    When you are placed how long is it for?

If anyone who has been appointed wouldn't mind sharing the length of time they held their position for I would be very grateful.

Does anyone have any experience of claiming FIS or WFP as it is now called while employed as a TCO?

Thanks in advance.

In my first year as TCO i was initially appointed a 3 month contract which was extended a further 3 months each time totaling 23 months. They could not extend it further than that because they would of needed to offer me a permanent position.

My second year as TCO i was appointed to a 12 week contract which finished at 12 weeks. Each year is different and it depends on the department you are put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cailin06

This is my first time to apply for TCO. Can someone fill me in on how exactly it works from when you get a positive reply from the online assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

cailin06 wrote: »
    This is my first time to apply for TCO. Can someone fill me in on how exactly it works from when you get a positive reply from the online assessment?

You will get a call for an interview, either to be most likely held in the Public App Service in Dublin, or you might get lucky and it could be on in your own County. Interview was always just a formality, and you can't really fail it. Some people have said that it's changed this year, but I don't think so. Anyway after interview you just have to wait and see if your OOM is reached for a job. You might only get three months term time, or you could be lucky and get longer like maternity. Some people have been given extentions in contracts that can last a few years. The luck of the dice really. A good OOM just means you'll get a job faster, but someone with a worse OOM could get a better contract. It's all luck really. Best of luck xxxx

Was quiet disappointed with my OOM. I'm usually in the top 10 and sometimes I've been in the top 3. However this year I've seen my OOM go to late 30s. Worst I've ever done. Can't think of what I did different etc. I would class myself as been good at the assessment Questionairres. Was anyone else disappointed?. I thought it was application form, that perhaps PAS could see that others had more experience than me but then I know a student who was in the 40s Iast year jump to top 10 this year. So that's that theory out the window.I have worked in numerous TCO contracts. I'm not bitter, but just baffled. Just interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

ali1993 wrote: »
    did really well with my results, a lot better than I thought I would! But now I am a bit scared because it means I might be called for interview soon and I will have to make a decision(if im lucky!)

I'm currently 9 months into a permanent CO job but... I applied for this because I wanted to get a job closer to home, and also I don't really like where I am. Commute wise it's costing me a fortune and very time consuming. I'm also on a panel for the CO 2018 campaign to try get closer to home in the long run. I was thinking if i got a temporary co job to cover me until I got through on the CO 2018 campaign.

Am I mad leaving a permanent job for a temp job? It would make my life so much easier being closer to home.

Hi just quick question- have you tried put yourself on transfer list?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Hi Folks
    Please just be aware that automatic extensions to your contract are not given 99% of the time regardless of the circumstances. This is because new rules and regulations came in last year or the year before regarding the TCO contracts. This is because there are a lot of people on the panel and the folks managing the panel want to everyone a fair shot. A lot of folks were disappointed last year because their contracts were not extended.

Just so you are aware:-
    • The standard contract is 12 weeks – this covers paternal leave and term time.
    • There are maternity cover contracts as well but again only a few and you are not guarantee them.
    • Long term sickness is another one – although I have heard a TCO lose their contact half way through when the person they were covering came back to work sooner than expected.
    • SW contracts are not normally extended unless exceptionally special circumstances.
    • Just because you had a long contract last year does not guarantee you will get the same this year. If you do, you would be fortunate!
    • Just because you had a contract last year for a particular department/section does not guarantee you will get the same department/section this year
    • And worst of all, just because you got a contract last year, doesn’t guarantee you will get one this year even if you did well in the interview.

I have been doing the TCO contracts for a number of years and each year I have been given a different posts with contracts varying in duration. All great for the general experience.

There was only one year I didn’t get a post even though I passed the interview stages and got put on a panel.

So please do not build up your hopes and expect nothing more than the standard contract.

Hope this helps!
    Dublintigger

Thanks good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭podsull1

Hi anyone any idea if people get offered contract in early 20s for kerry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Was quiet disappointed with my OOM. I'm usually in the top 10 and sometimes I've been in the top 3. However this year I've seen my OOM go to late 30s. Worst I've ever done. Can't think of what I did different etc. I would class myself as been good at the assessment Questionairres. Was anyone else disappointed?. I thought it was application form, that perhaps PAS could see that others had more experience than me but then I know a student who was in the 40s Iast year jump to top 10 this year. So that's that theory out the window.I have worked in numerous TCO contracts. I'm not bitter, but just baffled. Just interested to see if anyone else is in the same boat.
    I was disappointed, was around the same as you. Do you practise the tests? Wish it was easier to practise them, these tests are very common now in public sector. In saying that, it was only a temporary role. I'd love to get into a permanent role locally but seems very difficult. Also seems as if many people now are going to Dublin then transferring out as soon as possible so less positions are freeing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Anyone know how many will be hired in dublin my OOM is 147

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Jay328 wrote: »

In 2017 I was in the 300s and 2018 I was in the 170s on the Dublin panel, both times I was called to start end of May/start of June as I am only available for Summer months.

Silly q what's oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Eod100 wrote: »
    Silly q what's oom?

Order of merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

Jay328 wrote: »
    I did TCO 2 years ago and I was around 650 OOM. I was called in mid May in Dublin.

podsull1 wrote: »
    Hi anyone any idea if people get offered contract in early 20s for kerry

Without a doubt you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Would any recommend the TCO to a person just out of college?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Any idea how high the Cork numbers went last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vb1

binana wrote: »
    I did TCO 2 years ago and I was around 650 OOM. I was called in mid May in Dublin.

There's hope for me yet so, Im 620th OOM!

• Advertisement

How soon would you expect them to get to around 100 on OOM?

Advertisement