Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pulse recording college

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

noodle650 wrote: »

there is BUCKET loads of work there for those willing to do it.

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard that said here. Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

well im booked up with gigs until august 3rd but more is sure to come after that. Thats involving Céilís, Festivals, venue engineering, local festival gigs and gigs for various bands my friends have going. All payed of course and callbacks are almost guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

To be honest its Recording studios that are seeing huge dips in work flow unfortunatly.

which is a pity really, as we have quite a few good ones here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

TelePaul wrote: »
    Interesting, this is the first time I've heard that said here. Care to elaborate?

i personally wouldnt go as far as to say bucket loads but im fairly booked up myself at the moment too between studio work and nixers at home..

could change in a blink of the eye though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Been following the conversation here and am thinking about doing the part-time diploma along with an unrelated course in a different college.

Just wondering of how much benefit the course would be when I could spend say 6 grand on gear and learn it myself instead of going to Pulse.

Is it worth it or is the former option preferable? I've heard people on here advocating going (and learning) it alone.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Been following the conversation here and am thinking about doing the part-time diploma along with an unrelated course in a different college.

Just wondering of how much benefit the course would be when I could spend say 6 grand on gear and learn it myself instead of going to Pulse.

Is it worth it or is the former option preferable? I've heard people on here advocating going (and learning) it alone.

both options are viable solutions but if you're a total beginner i would advise getting stuck into some demo software first and seeing if you actually like it as a career choice (and while you're testing the demos have some random people shout viscious abuse at you to get that authentic studio experience).

after that only you can make the decision. will you learn better by being thought or by teaching yourself is the question.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

while you're testing the demos have some random people shout vicious abuse at you to get that authentic studio experience

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LittleRedFox

Hey DamagedTrax, just checked out your myspace, acidtechno sounds good:) As for a better band(and you've prob heard it a million times) I'd have to say, The Smiths!
    Anyho, down to brass tax, I'm and aspiring DJ with dreams of producing my own tracks. I would like to know how much of your production skills you had before doing the pulse course? When you finished could you, say, make a house track and a psych-trance track(if you wanted)? Just trying to get a feel for the technical skills I would have once finished in pulse. Also, I'm keen on the recording side of things to its just electronic music production is the be all and end all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Hey DamagedTrax, just checked out your myspace, acidtechno sounds good:) As for a better band(and you've prob heard it a million times) I'd have to say, The Smiths!
    Anyho, down to brass tax, I'm and aspiring DJ with dreams of producing my own tracks. I would like to know how much of your production skills you had before doing the pulse course? When you finished could you, say, make a house track and a psych-trance track(if you wanted)? Just trying to get a feel for the technical skills I would have once finished in pulse. Also, I'm keen on the recording side of things to its just electronic music production is the be all and end all:)
    when i did my course in pulse i figured id be making killer tunes after the course was done.truth is the pulse course i did was way more geared towards tradtional recording techniques.it taught me how to solder,splice tape and kind of mic instruments.

to be honest it wasnt what i expected and i learned more by buying software and making tracks in my bedroom

• Advertisement

hey, i had my label and releases long before i did the pulse course. pulse wont teach you to write music, thats sometving you have inside you, which you perfect by understanding your chosen genres inside out.

what pulse will do is teach you to use the tools to achieve this.

personally i didnt go to pulse to learn to produce my own music and unless you're looking at the degree course in production it would be a foolish move to go to learn to produce.

ill say it again:

higher diploma course for studio/live engineers.
    degree course for theory/production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ebaysellerrob

I made a post about these courses in the last thread about sound courses maybe you should make it a stcky Im kinda getting sick of there being a new thread about it each week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I made a post about these courses in the last thread about sound courses maybe you should make it a stcky Im kinda getting sick of there being a new thread about it each week

+1
    I've suggested an Education Sticky 100's of times. Happens every year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

studiorat wrote: »
    +1
    I've suggested an Education Sticky 100's of times. Happens every year...

That's true .... it is about time, especially as it's such an important issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kiddmx1

i am in 2nd year in pulse at the moment and to say that there isnt a lot politics and favouritism involved is bull****. they have their "favourites" picked out since first year, and it doesnt really seem like some of the lectures are bothered anymore. a lot of the equipment is in need of repair and theres always some reason why its not working or even there that day. i like the course for what it can do but theres a lot of bull**** being told when you enrol, its not what they hype it up to be at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

kiddmx1 wrote: »
    they have their "favourites" picked out since first year,

Is that because they're the best ?

• Advertisement

kiddmx1 wrote: »
    i am in 2nd year in pulse at the moment and to say that there isnt a lot politics and favouritism involved is bull****. they have their "favourites" picked out since first year, and it doesnt really seem like some of the lectures are bothered anymore. a lot of the equipment is in need of repair and theres always some reason why its not working or even there that day. i like the course for what it can do but theres a lot of bull**** being told when you enrol, its not what they hype it up to be at all.

i never seen favourites. what i saw was the better students getting ahead and rightly so. if someone is working their ass off and getting results then they deserve to be the ones getting the sessions in windmill 1.

if someone sits back and expects things to happen they deserve nothing, doesnt matter how much you pay.

thats how this industry is - the lazy ones and the untalented wont make it. its a simple cold hard fact.

gear in there was always working. what exactly isnt working properly? maybe a compressor or a mic or two but thats everyday stuff for a studio. currently in our place we're down a 2500 euro amp, a cymbal stand, 2 compressors and a floor tom as they all need work done to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

i never seen favourites. what i saw was the better students getting ahead and rightly so.

+1

Thats the way to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gconnolly07

i go to pulse im in 2nd year at the moment, and i duno what your on about, the equipment in there pretty much always works the only thing ive seen broken is the odd mic and that which is normal everywhere, and theres plenty of others to use. and if someone isnt bothered working or turning up of course theyre not gona get any help. id recommend pulse to anyone and have mates lookin to go there next year. and what exactly do you mean by politics in there?!?!

Advertisement