Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

So true - the marketing can be really distracting. Instagram might be making it worse. I think most of my early gear was from Penneys, apart from the sports bra and the runners, and I ran my first Dublin marathon with a ten euro stopwatch from Argos - I wouldn't dream of doing that now.
    It's an issue too as even though running is potentially a really cheap sport, it isn't as diverse as you'd hope, and I wonder are the runners and the gear and the gadgets contributing to that?

the question is why would you not dream of doing it now? and if you can back it up with a reasonable argument, good. if not you probably need to ask why not.

i dont think gadgeds are a problem. obviously for some they are a great motivational tool. for instance if i run with somebody faster i make sure i wear faster shoes if i run with somebody slower i put on my heaviest shoes. SO even in training an hightech shoe can make sense if used correctly.
    i guess the issue is that too many people think they need stuff when they dont need it .
    they think the more complicated it is the better it has to be , when good old KISS still works very well.
    and i guess as long as east africans and black sprinters dominate running i dont really think we can argue gadgets are responsible for lack of diversity. as most of those people you might think off can afford an xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

zico10 wrote: »
    After a few weeks running, beginners are coming on here with a list of questions about breathing, cadence, heart rate, etc., etc., questions that are akin to the marginal gains Team Sky were chasing in professional cycling. Instead of being told not to worry about what is essentially the icing on a much, much bigger cake, they are given an answer that I’d need the Rosetta Stone to decipher.

Meanwhile over in the logs, a very experienced runner recognises the improvements another logger is making, are down to the simplicity and consistency of his training. Yet the same runner goes out the door with sessions programmed into his Garmin* that draw on the ideas of several different training plans. Then a few weeks later, after having listened to one too many podcasts and digested the contents of yet another training plan, decides things aren’t working and changes things once more.
    *This is a big assumption possibly, but from looking at some of his runs on Strava, I don’t know how else he’d remember what he has to do.

At its most basic, running is merely putting one foot in front of the other as fast as you can. It’s an innate ability we all have, and when it comes to training, “Keep it simple and straightforward!” is possibly the best advice you’ll get.

Discuss.

PS. No slight intended to any poster.

//

WRT the OP - I think the Bruce Lee 3 punches anecdote is most apt. When you first lunch to punch, a punch is just a punch. Then when you start to learn - a punch is no longer a punch. Then when you master it, a punch is just a punch again.

"In the beginning when you are learning something, and you’re asked to throw a punch, you do and there’s no technique or learning behind it, a punch is just a punch.

In the second stage of learning you start to break down all the components of a punch. You understand your stance, your fist, you practice, and you try and find the best punch. A punch is no longer just a punch.

Finally, in the third stage you return to “A punch is just a punch.” Except this time, it’s something you have broken down, practiced, understood, and integrated, such that you no longer have to think about it, it’s automatic yet skilled.

These ideas can be applied to learning anything—it’s a progression from novice to mastery."

I really like that anecdote and I think it helps understand the mindset in answering Zico's OP.

I'm on Boards about 10 years or so - I'll give some snippets of my thinking as I've read through the posts.

When I joined - KC/TRR etc were the goto logs on here - both superb athletes and both nice people (cant believe TRR will see this) - but at that specific time - I felt they were in a clique that I wanted to be in.

Right now - I can really understand why people think Boards is Cliquey - I suppose we all know each other personally at this stage - so a beginner has to 'work' at this, by engaging as well.

I hold my hands up and say - well AMK, (yes, these are my initials) why dont you spend as much time on some logs as others?

I was thinking about this the other day - I have a personal investment in some logs as I know the people personally or I've never met them, but they are similar or better athletes - (Zico being someone I've not met, but I read his stuff).
    If a new poster cops up, will I be as invested - no, not at 1st - but over time maybe.

Toxic? Not in my experience.

Back to Zico's OP...............
    ...........and, yes, I recognise myself in there as I do think I match his very description :P as I'm known for changing plans as often as anyone I know.

I think we're all chasing that 'flow', the training plan that works, the taper that helps us, the S&C that makes us full proof.

We're a weird lot us runners, full of OCD and self doubt at the best of times.
    We ask questions, we give opinions, we change our minds.

It was this way 10 years ago - it will be this way in 10 years time.

Advertisement