Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

A pizza from avoca would buy a months worth of beer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A pizza from avoca would buy a months worth of beer :D

I have no hand or part in their purchase, I'm merely a willing vessel for their deposit.

I have no hand or part in their purchase, I'm merely a willing vessel for their deposit.

The Mrs paid 20 quid for two slices of cheesecake in one when we were first going out and I was likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having this mammoth now, it's OK not the best not the worst

Whooping 900ml Can for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Ballykilcavan #4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I like Sierra Nevada hazy Jane. Does that count :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Whooping 900ml Can for €3

Reminds me of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

poisonated wrote: »
    I like Sierra Nevada hazy Jane. Does that count :)

BrewDog?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had 2 cans of O'Hara's nitro stout over the last few hours. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. Grand stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

BaZmO* wrote: »
    BrewDog?
    Sorry. I meant hazy little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had 2 cans of O'Hara's nitro stout over the last few hours. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. Grand stout.

Think it's a great alternative to you-know-who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had an O'Hara's Hop Adventure Strata edition. Very nice beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I woke up this morning feeling even more confused than usual. I had 2 White Hags for the first time last night and going by loads of folk on here they’re meant to be poor... I know each to their own and all that but these beers are really good for me!

First up was the Oatmeal Porter, a decent if surprisingly sweet stout.

Second up was the Mochacinno Stout - I though this was a really nice pastry style stout. The fact that it’s only €2.50 a can makes it even better. A really good stout at a really good price.

Every one of their limited edition stouts I’ve had I’ve really liked. I’ve had about 250 different stouts in the last year or so and White Hag stuff is consistently a high quality offering.

Also had Yellowbelly - Unto the Breach, a Pineapple DIPA - not great.

Siren - Nitro Caribbean Chocolate Cake - Was ok, nothing special.

Lervig- 3 Bean Stout. Absolutely fantastic. A classic.

Passenger wrote: »
    Think it's a great alternative to you-know-who.

Not at 3 times the price it's not!

Had one last night and thought it was grand. Not better than the original version and not a patch on Leann Folláin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭joficeduns1

Lervig's Lucky Jack last night. Nice bang to it I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Tried a can of White Hag Shamrock Shake, found it very tasty

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Tried a can of White Hag Shamrock Shake, found it very tasty

I liked it too. It was like mint choc icecream. Nice dessert beer but it would get very sickly if you had more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just had a Rollover there. Lovely little chugger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I liked it too. It was like mint choc icecream. Nice dessert beer but it would get very sickly if you had more than one.

I still have one of those and one of the Eggnog ales from Christmas. Need an excuse to chug them soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I still have one of those and one of the Eggnog ales from Christmas. Need an excuse to chug them soon!

I've tried making excuses to drink the Shamrock one over the last 2 weekends, both times I've been saved from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I woke up this morning feeling even more confused than usual. I had 2 White Hags for the first time last night and going by loads of folk on here they’re meant to be poor... I know each to their own and all that but these beers are really good for me!

First up was the Oatmeal Porter, a decent if surprisingly sweet stout.

Second up was the Mochacinno Stout - I though this was a really nice pastry style stout. The fact that it’s only €2.50 a can makes it even better. A really good stout at a really good price.

Every one of their limited edition stouts I’ve had I’ve really liked. I’ve had about 250 different stouts in the last year or so and White Hag stuff is consistently a high quality offering.

Have to agree, the Mochacinno Stout smells amazing and was rather tasty too.
    Enjoyed all their limited edition stouts too with the exception of the Mexican Hot Chocolate one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Poorside wrote: »
    I've tried making excuses to drink the Shamrock one over the last 2 weekends, both times I've been saved from it.

What about..."I wonder what colour my pee will be afterwards"?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

SOLD!

Anyone else pick up the double barrel aged Leann Folláin?

I'm drinking one tonight out of an old 8 Degrees flute glass. Very little carbonation/head. As dark and black as any Narwhal I've ever had. Some nice depth from the whiskey casks, but I should have tried to sample it side-by-side with the Christmas release to see if there was a notable taste difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Whiplash Cream on Chrome

Delicious.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

That's the best reason I've reason so far.

Dot Brew Contains nuts. Nice and smooth, medium body. Not as boozy as I anticipated.

I just finished a can of The Devils Ladder from 8°. Highly enjoyable. I've been mostly off the beer for a while with a handful of bottles/cans every few months. This was a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭Guffy

Selection of Galway Bay Brewery. Full Sale, Session IPA and Of foam and fury . All delicious

DOTImperialSHerryMilkStout_600x_crop_center.png?v=1614612890

Another Dot brew. Their BA Imperial Sherry Milk Stout. Boozy, boozy, boozy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Anyone else pick up the double barrel aged Leann Folláin?

I'm drinking one tonight out of an old 8 Degrees flute glass. Very little carbonation/head. As dark and black as any Narwhal I've ever had. Some nice depth from the whiskey casks, but I should have tried to sample it side-by-side with the Christmas release to see if there was a notable taste difference.
    I only had my Christmas one last week and it was a little disappointing tbh.
    Smelled great but the scent didn't carry into the taste.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Firestone Walker Chocolate Cherry Stout. A little thin, but decent enough flavour, especially as it warms up a little. Streets ahead of the abomination that was White Hag's Black Forest stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some blue Chimay tonight. One of my favourite beers. Have a 2016 bottle that I stashed away for my birthday next month.

Got a Lough Gill Chocolate Ox that I can’t wait to open on Friday...

Looks like it’s a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Got a Lough Gill Chocolate Ox that I can’t wait to open on Friday...

Looks like it’s a cracker.

It's a good one had it over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Kinnegar double rye IPA shuttle bucket is fierce nice and fierce drinkable at 8%!

A contemporary, strong, hoppy IPA that I can see my hand through!!
    Happy old fcuker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BeerNut wrote: »
    Six days after I post the above: https://twitter.com/CadburyUK/status/1364906168376832000

I guess White Hag lost the tender.

Am sure all will be gutted to hear that the beer solid out within minutes.

https://www.gooseislandshop.com/collections/limited-release-beers/products/its-the-golden-goo-beer-lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

BrewHeart - Hopsecret & Hopeye to toast an old friend later.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Am sure all will be gutted to hear that the beer solid out within minutes.

https://www.gooseislandshop.com/collections/limited-release-beers/products/its-the-golden-goo-beer-lee

Would have loved to have gotten a few of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Lidl Crafty brewing range, American style brown ale.

Very nice. especially so for the price.

There are not so many brown ales as other styles it seems. St. Mel's do one.

Not sure there are many other breweries doing them?

Whiplash did one recently, with the addition of maple syrupy so maybe not true to traditional style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Speaking of Crafty Casual, the last few deliveries of stouts in my local lidl haven't been the same as before Christmas that i've been tasting anyway. Seems to be less dry cocoa chocolate powder as before and more thing sweet porter style thats a little thinner recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Speaking of Crafty Casual, the last few deliveries of stouts in my local lidl haven't been the same as before Christmas that i've been tasting anyway. Seems to be less dry cocoa chocolate powder as before and more thing sweet porter style thats a little thinner recently.

Haven't tried their stout yet. Only the IPA which I found middling. Kinnegar big bunny, western herd blue jumper, Francis big banging IPA from the Kildare crowd would be my preferences in that style.

You would imagine a brown ale would do well here, over the winter months especially.

Speaking of western herd, I got a few cans of their home brew competition winner. A saison. So drinkable. The first can didn't stand a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ballykilcavan - Bambricks Brown and Lough Gill - Macnutty the only two I'm aware of in core range, apart from St Mels and Crafty/ Rye River. St Mels would be the pick of them for me, but the Crafty is a staple for me.

Rye River/ Solas/ Tesco had a Brown Porter that was lovely too, but it has disappeared.

I really enjoyed the Whiplash one - seems to be still available around a few places.

I think Newkie Brown being absolute muck puts people off even trying them, so they don't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've been drinking Cigar City beers recently, very well priced and very tasty. They do an espresso brown ale which is very nice and also a maduro brown ale, also very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

VW 1 wrote: »
    I've been drinking Cigar City beers recently, very well priced and very tasty. They do an espresso brown ale which is very nice and also a maduro brown ale, also very nice.

Their Belgian wit is lovely too!

Had a growler of Lineman's Rabbit Hole, which is described as an "8% red imperial IPA is intensely flavourful. Bursting with Simcoe, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin. The generous malt and fruity hops are balanced by a soft bitterness."

I think something's gone wrong with mine. It's like the batch was watered down or something. No carbonation. No hint of hops on the nose or the tongue. And definitely doesn't hit like an 8% beer either. I had a glass before dinner and wasn't impressed, and then tried it again later after it had warmed up a bit. No difference.

My taste buds are working fine with food so it's not Covid anyway!

Had a growler of Lineman's Rabbit Hole, which is described as an "8% red imperial IPA is intensely flavourful. Bursting with Simcoe, Motueka and Nelson Sauvin. The generous malt and fruity hops are balanced by a soft bitterness."

I think something's gone wrong with mine. It's like the batch was watered down or something. No carbonation. No hint of hops on the nose or the tongue. And definitely doesn't hit like an 8% beer either. I had a glass before dinner and wasn't impressed, and then tried it again later after it had warmed up a bit. No difference.

Definitely not my experience with that beer (from a can). Not sure if it's worth dropping them a DM to give them a heads up or anything, they're fairly active on Instagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Could some of it have been sitting in the tap lines too long perhaps? Maybe something to take up with whoever you got the growler from as opposed to Lineman

• Advertisement
Advertisement