Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is funding Spirit Radio ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 225LongWave

https://www.premierchristianradio.com/About/Transmission-Appeal

1305 Chingford E4 North East London + Essex border 500w
    1305 SW London 500w. 1332 central & east London 1kW
    1413 Heathrow West & NW London 500w
    1413. Dartford SE London & Nw Kent 500w

37 grand is a hell of a lot to raise from donations and sponsorship every month.

I suspect there are other, hidden benefactors involved, maybe connected with foreign religious broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Cube98 wrote: »

Why are you dragging up an article from May 2020 for a thread that last had an entry two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

45% of their income was from standing orders (pay per pray?).

Also interesting is that they had (in 2020) 14 staff but wages accounted for only €245,299. That's probably two or three people making an average income, and everyone else getting very, very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

JDxtra wrote: »
    45% of their income was from standing orders (pay per pray?).

Also interesting is that they had (in 2020) 14 staff but wages accounted for only €245,299. That's probably two or three people making an average income, and everyone else getting very, very little.

The standing orders are for all you can eat praying.

Would think that a fair few of the people are doing it FOC, it's their gift to god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they manage to support themselves then I see no reason for people to complain.
    Don't like, don't listen..
    Can't say I'm a fan myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cube98

biko wrote: »
    If they manage to support themselves then I see no reason for people to complain.
    Don't like, don't listen..
    Can't say I'm a fan myself.

I think the issue people have with spirit radio is that the Bai said for many years that the FM band was full to capacity but all of a sudden Spirit were allowed to set up FM transmitters in towns and cities all over the country, despite the fact that they were meant to be primarily an AM station

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the issue people have with spirit radio is that the Bai said for many years that the FM band was full to capacity but all of a sudden Spirit were allowed to set up FM transmitters in towns and cities all over the country, despite the fact that they were meant to be primarily an AM station

BAI don't view them as commercial. I would question the addition of Radio Maria on Saorview.

The BAI have basically decided that we will give you a license as long as you are not commercial.

In fairness to them they are running a station on 600,000 per year. How much do they pay for music rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Often give it a listen, great station long May it flourish

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Often give it a listen, great station long May it flourish

Bout 23 days early there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Elmo wrote: »
    BAI don't view them as commercial. I would question the addition of Radio Maria on Saorview.

The BAI have basically decided that we will give you a license as long as you are not commercial.

In fairness to them they are running a station on 600,000 per year. How much do they pay for music rights?

While we may not view them as a purely commercial station in the same sense as other stations, they are expected to trade and to stay in the black and they adhere to the same contractual and technical standards as regular operators. They have broadly the same allowed ad time, signal power and programming content rules to play by. As such they are as good as a commercial station, albeit one that is set up as a not for profit company.

In relation to royalty payments and musical rights, stations generally pay these as a fixed percentage of turnover.

Lastly, Radio Maria are on Saorview as they are a licensed operator here and are happy to pay the carriage fees to 2RN. No reason to stop Spirit bar tight fists. Maybe they can have another Begathon for the fees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lastly, Radio Maria are on Saorview as they are a licensed operator here and are happy to pay the carriage fees to 2RN. No reason to stop Spirit bar tight fists. Maybe they can have another Begathon for the fees :pac:

My issue with Radio Maria was that it was never put through the same "Public Service Test" that UTV Ireland were put through, and that I can't image the BAI giving out a license for a Radio station on Soarview.

Advertisement